Page 43 of 52 FirstFirst ... 334142434445 ... LastLast
    drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    I think I would appreciate it a lot more now since no one is making me read it

Has anyone seen the film with Demi Moore? Might be worth a viewing for the laughs
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

vCash
    Um, no, I'd recommend Easy A as a better version of The Scarlet Letter before I'd recommend the Demi Moore version.

vCash
    I don't like "The Scarlet Letter" either. I tried reading it as an adult, thinking I would appreciate it better than I did as a teenager. Not.

I'm still wading through "Vanity Fair". I don't like one character in the the whole book, with the possible exception of Captain Dobbin. Thackeray writes with such a jaundiced eye. My friend laughs at the characters and reads it as satire. I guess I don't like satire.

I finished "Lady in the Lake" and have moved on in the omnibus to one of Ed McBain's, 87th precinct stories. I'm surprised that I quite enjoy McBain. I never would have tried him before. Now, maybe I will pick up one of the full length books.

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by orientalplane View Post
    back to an old favourite, Gulliver's Travels.

Quote Originally Posted by emason View Post
    Don't know about any Arthur Dimmesdale, but I didn't read The Scarlet Letter until I was in my 30s or 40s and I thought it was a stunner, an absolute masterpiece. It's on my to be re-read list.
    I was reading FSU in class while my students worked on something and I brought up The Scarlet Letter. The (noisy, adamant) consensus was that The Scarlet Letter is the worst book in the entire world .

This would be my research class, however, not my lit class.

Quote Originally Posted by A.H.Black View Post
    I'm still wading through "Vanity Fair". I don't like one character in the the whole book, with the possible exception of Captain Dobbin. Thackeray writes with such a jaundiced eye. My friend laughs at the characters and reads it as satire. I guess I don't like satire.
    If you don't like satire, Vanity Fair is not the book for you.

If anyone is looking for something to read, I have piles of papers here that you could read--and grade, too.
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Vanity Fair is one of my favorite books ever. I re-read it every few years or so.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by genevieve View Post
    I think I would appreciate it a lot more now since no one is making me read it

Has anyone seen the film with Demi Moore? Might be worth a viewing for the laughs
    The PBS version with Meg Foster as Hester was to die for.

Book wise - I need to pick up "Pope Joan" from the library. Can't wait!

vCash
    Now reading "Cut to the Quick" by Kate Ross. It's the first in the Julian Kestrel Regency mystery series and came highly recommended on Goodreads and Amazon, based on some of the historical mysteries I've been reading. I have to say, it starts slow and the first murder doesn't occur for almost 100 pages. The main mystery seems to be what a wealthy self-made cit is holding over the titled lord to force the lord's son to marry the Cit's daughter. Kestrel, the investigator, has no real reason for investigating beyond curiosity, and I'm not finidng him half as witty as the other characters seem to, but he is different and rather mysterious himself. Unfortunately, the author herself died yer young from breast cancer so there are only four volumes in the series. I'm still hunting for two.
    I'd rather be thought of as absolutely ridiculous than as absolutely boring.

Liberal Furry
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by zaphyre14 View Post
    Now reading "Cut to the Quick" by Kate Ross. It's the first in the Julian Kestrel Regency mystery series and came highly recommended on Goodreads and Amazon, based on some of the historical mysteries I've been reading. I have to say, it starts slow and the first murder doesn't occur for almost 100 pages. The main mystery seems to be what a wealthy self-made cit is holding over the titled lord to force the lord's son to marry the Cit's daughter. Kestrel, the investigator, has no real reason for investigating beyond curiosity, and I'm not finidng him half as witty as the other characters seem to, but he is different and rather mysterious himself. Unfortunately, the author herself died yer young from breast cancer so there are only four volumes in the series. I'm still hunting for two.
    I love that series- enjoy!
    I know. But I do not approve. And I am not resigned.
    (Edna St Vincent Millay)

Ma name's Beckeh.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Susan1 View Post
    I've been wanting to discuss Gone Girl with somebody!!!
    I loved Gone Girl but don't remember enough detail to discuss it. I had been thinking about re-reading it but I'm afraid that might ruin the book for me.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffisjeff View Post
    I put it down about 1/3 of the way through and moved on. I'll probably finish it some day ...
    It starts getting a lot more interesting in part two. If you do decide to go back to it some day, I definitely recommend starting from the beginning. A big part of what makes the book enjoyable is the slow build of tension.

Quote Originally Posted by TygerLily View Post
    What does everyone think about Amazon buying Goodreads?

http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/st...goodreads.html
    I don't see anything good coming of this. I hope to God I'm wrong.
    Roll Tide, y'all!

Just me
    vCash
    Is anyone familiar with the books Bernard Cornwell wrote under the name Susannah Kells?
    If this is to end in fire
    Then we will all burn together

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by galaxygirl View Post
    I loved Gone Girl but don't remember enough detail to discuss it. I had been thinking about re-reading it but I'm afraid that might ruin the book for me.
    I re-read it and didn't ruin it for me, but I like reading books when I know what is going to happen, so a re-read might not be for everyone I loved the book too, which is a bit surprising considering how unlikeable most of the characters are. That said,

Spoiler

I've gone a couple of months without having the chance to read much, but finally picked up a couple of books last week, pulled from recommendations in this thread. I tried my first Jennifer Crusie book and didn't care for it - that said, it was one of her earlier books (Getting Rid of Bradley or something along that line), so I may give her another shot with one of the middle works that Jenny mentioned up-thread, depending on whether I can get it from a library or not. I was glad I got the first one from the library.

On the other hand, I loved Elin Hilderbrand's The Castaways and had a hard time putting it down. Since I was reading it on my iPad, I wasn't able to do my usual trick of skipping to the end of the book to see the ending (I'm sure there's a way, but I haven't figured it out yet), so I was reading as fast as I could to try to get to the end ASAP. I have a vacation starting next week that will have a lot of plane and bus time, so I borrowed a couple more of Hildebrand's books to keep me occupied during the trip. Also planning to try Julia Quinn's Bridgerton series on the vacation.

In the meantime, I accidentally got the audio book version of Hilderbrand's Barefoot from the library and have been listening to it while I unpack. I'm not enjoying it nearly as much as The Castaways and I can't tell if it is the audio format or the book itself, although I'm leaning towards the format. The narrator is a bit annoying and goes way too slowly for my taste. But since I won't have cable or internet until Saturday afternoon and I still have lots of unpacking to do, I might as well carry on with the book and finish it.

vCash
    Finally read "The Light Between Oceans" tonight - Amazon had a Kindle sale and I was tired of waiting for the book to come in at the library. Spectacular. Such a stunning book. Now kicking myself for not getting it earlier. I have to resist Amazon - B&N is having a big Nook sale and they're price matching a lot of stuff on my wish list.

vCash
    I am a life-long reader, and have been a bookseller for almost 26 years, and yet for some reason, I've never participated in the book threads! I am having a really good week personally right now, and one of the things that made me happy is that Khaled Hosseini has a new book coming out in May called "And the Mountains Echoed".

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Erin View Post
    I've gone a couple of months without having the chance to read much, but finally picked up a couple of books last week, pulled from recommendations in this thread. I tried my first Jennifer Crusie book and didn't care for it - that said, it was one of her earlier books (Getting Rid of Bradley or something along that line), so I may give her another shot with one of the middle works that Jenny mentioned up-thread, depending on whether I can get it from a library or not. I was glad I got the first one from the library.
    That's not one of her better efforts. If I had to recommend a Crusie book for someone not familiar with her work, I'd go with Welcome to Temptation (my favorite) or the very popular Bet Me.

For anyone interested in romance novels, Dear Author has a new reviewer who's also new to romance, having read mostly fantasy up until recently. In addition to being quite entertaining, this review also includes a really good list of recommendations people have given him so far (other than the first one ), so that's a great resource for anyone who's looking for good romance novels. He mentioned in the comments that he's already updated it, so maybe there will be an even better list in the next review.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dbell1 View Post
    Finally read "The Light Between Oceans" tonight - Amazon had a Kindle sale and I was tired of waiting for the book to come in at the library. Spectacular. Such a stunning book. Now kicking myself for not getting it earlier. I have to resist Amazon - B&N is having a big Nook sale and they're price matching a lot of stuff on my wish list.
    My bank account is really not happy that I read this.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Erin View Post
    I've gone a couple of months without having the chance to read much, but finally picked up a couple of books last week, pulled from recommendations in this thread. I tried my first Jennifer Crusie book and didn't care for it - that said, it was one of her earlier books (Getting Rid of Bradley or something along that line),
    Getting Rid of Bradley is from when she wrote for Harlequin (the new-defunct Temptation line). If that had been the first book I read by her, I'd have never read another one. Crusie is not the most consistent writer, but she had a string of winners--Welcome to Temptation, Faking It, Fast Women, and Bet Me. Crazy for You is OK. She does not write paranormal very well, from either a romance or general storytelling point of view. From her blog, I know she likes urban fantasy/paranormal romance, but she can't write it. With the exception of Agnes and the Hitman, her collaborations are dreadful. Wild Ride is maybe the worst paranormal "romance" I've ever read, and it's on my top 20 of worst books. Steer clear of her latest romance involving a ghost; the name escapes me. It pissed me off and showed a real regression in writing. I don't think Silhouette would have published it--yes, that's how bad it is.

For her good ones, if you want , go with Temptation. If you want a romance that actually has romance in it, go with Bet Me. If you want snappy dialogue and improbable crime, go with Faking It. If you want a book that's just barely romance and more like really well written chick lit, go with Fast Women.

I'm looking for a good romance novel--I'll be in Texas for work for two weeks, and I need some recommendations. Kindle recommended Maya Banks, and It makes Fifty Shades of Grey look like a feminist opus. And that was just the SAMPLE. I went to Amazonreads and I wish I'd have read the reviews before I wasted my time reading the sample. Women being raped/beaten/kidnapped/generally abused by the hero appears to be a theme with her. Very romantic, rape.

I just finished Age of Miracles. It was so good, I've totally forgiven Karen Walker Thompson for Swamplandia. I don't know what genre it would be. The protagonist is a 13 year old girl, but it's not YA. It features The End of the World, but it's not dystopian. Horrible things happen, and you know everyone's going to die, but it's really hopeful. It's one of the best coming of age stories I've ever read.
    "The practice of sport is a human right. Every individual must have the possibility of practicing sport, without discrimination of any kind and in the Olympic spirit, which requires mutual understanding with a spirit of friendship, solidarity and fair play." –Olympic Charter

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Matryeshka View Post
    For her good ones, if you want , go with Temptation. If you want a romance that actually has romance in it, go with Bet Me. If you want snappy dialogue and improbable crime, go with Faking It. If you want a book that's just barely romance and more like really well written chick lit, go with Fast Women.
    Yes, that about covers it. And Phin is definitely .

I'm looking for a good romance novel--I'll be in Texas for work for two weeks, and I need some recommendations. Kindle recommended Maya Banks, and It makes Fifty Shades of Grey look like a feminist opus. And that was just the SAMPLE. I went to Amazonreads and I wish I'd have read the reviews before I wasted my time reading the sample. Women being raped/beaten/kidnapped/generally abused by the hero appears to be a theme with her. Very romantic, rape.
    I've read some of Banks' KGI stuff and found it very paint by numbers. I think a lot of her success is due to being such a prolific writer rather than being a particularly good one.

Anyway, if you can give some examples of what you liked, I'll try to recommend something better.
    Last edited by Zemgirl; 04-06-2013 at 06:20 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Zemgirl View Post
    Yes, that about covers it. And Finn is definitely .

I've read some of Banks' KGI stuff and found it very paint by numbers. I think a lot of her success is due to being such a prolific writer rather than being a particularly good one.

Anyway, if you can give some examples of what you liked, I'll try to recommend something better.
    You know that old library trick of holding a book by the spine and you can tell where the "good bits" are by where the pages separate? You can definitely do that to my copy of Temptation. Only time I EVER had the urge to play pool.

I'm picky when it comes to romance. I hold romance to a higher standard than fic lit. I am easily pissed off when it comes to hero/heroine behavior. I think what I really like is urban fantasy that has a heavy dose of romance in it--I love, love, LOVE the Kate Daniels series. I liked the first five Sookie Stackhouses. I like the series with the girl who's an assassin and her assassin name is Spider. It has dwarves; the name escapes me. This is a problem with my Kindle. I also liked a series where the girl's sister died and she goes to Ireland and she discovers she can see Sidhe. Oh, and the Mercy Thompson series. Love, love, love Mercy. (I guess I should also qualify that I can handle reading violence against the main heroine so long as it makes sense to the larger story arc. Women who take on supernatural creatures that are stronger than they are, violence is expected.) I actually think you might have given me some of the above series, Zemgirl

For historicals, I like some Loretta Chase, some of the Cynster Stephanie Laurens, Sarah Maclean, and some of the Pennyroyal Green series. No Johanna Lindsey, please. I expect sex in my romance novels and don't care for long dissertations on dress styles and ballroom manners in Regency novels. I don't like damsels in distress. Loathed Discovery of Witches. I can tolerate virgins in historical romance, but not in contemporary. For contemporary romance, I like late 90s/early 00s Jayne Anne Krentz, but I don't care for most of her Jayne Castle series and her Amanda Quicks are just (I think that she knows they're blah, hence the "Quick" ) I don't really like rooting for the bad guy, so I need to be able to relate to the hero and the heroine. I don't really buy the whole "changed by love" thing, or where the hero clearly dislikes women...except the one innocent blonde who changes his heart forever But at the same time, I don't want my heroines to be overly fantabulous and perfect either. I'm one of the few women in my age group who despises Sex and the City, and don't get me started on Girls.
    "The practice of sport is a human right. Every individual must have the possibility of practicing sport, without discrimination of any kind and in the Olympic spirit, which requires mutual understanding with a spirit of friendship, solidarity and fair play." –Olympic Charter

vCash
    You know that old library trick of holding a book by the spine and you can tell where the "good bits" are by where the pages separate? You can definitely do that to my copy of Temptation. Only time I EVER had the urge to play pool.
    Exactly. I also like the Dempsey way of conning, that is, persuading people. Very useful.

For historicals, I like some Loretta Chase, some of the Cynster Stephanie Laurens, Sarah Maclean, and some of the Pennyroyal Green series. No Johanna Lindsey, please. I expect sex in my romance novels and don't care for long dissertations on dress styles and ballroom manners in Regency novels. I don't like damsels in distress. Loathed Discovery of Witches. I can tolerate virgins in historical romance, but not in contemporary. For contemporary romance, I like late 90s/early 00s Jayne Anne Krentz, but I don't care for most of her Jayne Castle series and her Amanda Quicks are just (I think that she knows they're blah, hence the "Quick" ) I don't really like rooting for the bad guy, so I need to be able to relate to the hero and the heroine. I don't really buy the whole "changed by love" thing, or where the hero clearly dislikes women...except the one innocent blonde who changes his heart forever But at the same time, I don't want my heroines to be overly fantabulous and perfect either. I'm one of the few women in my age group who despises Sex and the City, and don't get me started on Girls.
    You have far more diverse romance reading tastes than I do! So this is something of a challenge. First off, I can't help you with PNR and urban fantasy - I don't read either (other than the first few Sookie Stackhouse books, which I also enjoyed) so I definitely couldn't have recommended any of those books to you.

As for the rest... Julia Quinn seems like an obvious suggestion, also Miranda Neville and maybe some of Connie Brockway's books and early Liz Carlyle. Sherry Thomas is and Courtney Milan and Meredith Duran are pretty awesome too. Milan is that rare romance author who can also write very good novellas, so that's a pretty risk-free way of trying her books. I've never read Lindsey and don't think I ever will.

For contemporaries, you can take a look at Ruthie Knox (Ride With Me is quite fun) and Victoria Dahl; I also like Tammara Webber, who writes younger characters. If you are willing to venture into romantic suspense, Pamela Clare is good - she has a series focusing on female journalists, of which my favorites are Unlawful Contact and Breaking Point. She also writes historicals, but I don't think they'd be your cup of tea.

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    For historicals, I like some Loretta Chase, some of the Cynster Stephanie Laurens, Sarah Maclean, and some of the Pennyroyal Green series. No Johanna Lindsey, please. I expect sex in my romance novels and don't care for long dissertations on dress styles and ballroom manners in Regency novels. I don't like damsels in distress. Loathed Discovery of Witches. I can tolerate virgins in historical romance, but not in contemporary.
    Have you tried Elizabeth Hoyt or Madeline Hunter?

Quote Originally Posted by dbell1 View Post
    - B&N is having a big Nook sale and they're price matching a lot of stuff on my wish list.
    Yes! 50% off 1000 Top Nook Books: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/s/?sor...ooks&view=grid
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

Page 43 of 52 FirstFirst ... 334142434445 ... LastLast