Page 26 of 52 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Artemis@BC View Post
    After seeing Miriam Margolyes do her Dickens' Women one-woman show on the weekend ... I'm inspired to go re-read some of the Dickens canon.

The show, btw, was completely amazing. I think Vancouver was one of the last stops on the year-long world tour, with only Toronto left after this.
    Saw her on a rerun of Graham Norton with Will I Am (I think that is his name.) Anyway she was a hoot!

I ordered the new Charles Finch mystery (Lenox series). There is something about Victorian era mysteries that appeal to me...

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    I had forgotten about this site, but someone reminded me of it and I thought of TygerLily immediately: http://smartbitchestrashybooks.com/

"The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

vCash

vCash
    I got my book fix last night at Barnes & Noble; two of the pile are gifts for other people. But the new Tasha Alexander Lady Emily mystery is MINE! I'll start that as soon as I finish Patterson's "Double Cross."
    I'd rather be thought of as absolutely ridiculous than as absolutely boring.

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lara View Post
    Every so often I'll go to fbofw.com and relive the comic strip again. It was such a constant growing up. Pretty cool about your Mom!
    Had me up until Elizabeth gave up an interesting life and attractive boyfriends (who immediately had to be turned into monsters as an excuse) to go with a guy who badgered a sloppy-seconds woman into marrying him, browbeat her into having a child, promised to be the caregiver then blamed her when she expected him to honor that...Yeah, HATE ANTHONY. Awful ending when there used to be good plots.

Picked up three new books at TeslaCon (well, new to me) and I'm working on Scott Westerfeld's "Leviathan." Technically YA, but it's enjoyable steampunk with enough alt-history geekery to keep me amused there, too. Though of course, I am now kicking myself for not having bought the other two books in the trilogy. I even SAID as much while buying it, if I like this I'm going to have to get the others, aren't I? At least there's a B&N on the way to the dance studio....

I will not read all the books I bought as gifts before wrapping them...I will not read all the books I bought as gifts before wrapping them....

vCash
    Yeah, I wasn't crazy about the ending either. Anthony's first wife *was* jealous but for good reason, and from the background given it seemed she was pressured by her family into settling down and having the house in the suburbs with kids. Which Anthony may have wanted but not her. And Liz wasn't fair to Paul either asking for him to transfer.

The 90's were definitely the golden years IMO. Still have much admiration for the Lawrence storyline, that took a lot of guts at the time.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Prancer View Post
    I had forgotten about this site, but someone reminded me of it and I thought of TygerLily immediately: http://smartbitchestrashybooks.com/
    I liked SBTB better when both Sarah and Candy were running it. I still enjoy it at times, but I think even for the apparently superhuman Sarah, producing that much content on a regular basis is a bit too much.

Tygerlily, do you read Dear Author, too? Wonkomance (an author blog) is also entertaining.

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Thought book fans might enjoy this - 10 Worst Book Covers in the History of Literature.

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    Thought book fans might enjoy this - 10 Worst Book Covers in the History of Literature.

vCash
    Just spotted that Guy Gavriel Kay has a new book coming out in April, River of Stars. It's a followup to Under Heaven -- that one was set in China during the Tang dynasty of the 8th century, the new one is the 12th century Song dynasty.

"... an epic of prideful emperors, battling courtiers, bandits and soldiers, nomadic invasions, and a woman battling in her own way, to find a new place for women in the world ..."

It's not the type of book I usually read, but Kay is one of my favourite authors so I'll give it a try.

((Swedish skating dudes))
    vCash
    I wasn't sure I'd like Under Heaven at all from reading the description, but ended up loving it, so I'm sure I'll give River of Stars a go as well.

vCash
    I'm re-reading Jennifer Government by Max Barry with my Dystopian Lit class. I always forget how darkly humorous it is, for those of you who enjoy that sort of thing.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Zemgirl View Post
    Tygerlily, do you read Dear Author, too? Wonkomance (an author blog) is also entertaining.
    Ooh, thanks! My problem with authors and musicians has always been that I'll find one I like and then read/listen to everything possible and then have little idea of who else to try. These sites are very helpful!

vCash
    Finished Patterson's "Double Cross" last night and liked it okay, although I don't get the Bree appeal at all. Shee's a pretty cardboard character, and the Damon-going-to-Cushing subplot was very thin. But I don't expect great literature from Patterson (he's the male equivilent to Janet Evanovich for me) and I only paid 50 cents for the book so I think I got my money's worth.

I'm still in the light-mystery mode so I picked up "Perils in Paperback" Kate Carlyle's latest Bibliophile mystery. The first chapter has Brooklyn asking if it is possible to own too many books when she's invited to a house party where the hostess is a super-wealthy collector. Right up my alley.

vCash
    I finished Cormac McCarthy's The Road last night. I'm glad I read it, but it's not something I will go back to. The lack of context was very disconcerting, I guess it was supposed to be, but it was uncomfortable in a way.
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe.

Ma name's Beckeh.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessLeppard View Post
    I'm re-reading Jennifer Government by Max Barry with my Dystopian Lit class. I always forget how darkly humorous it is, for those of you who enjoy that sort of thing.
    I listened to the audio book a few years back and really enjoyed it.
    Last edited by galaxygirl; 12-09-2012 at 06:00 AM.
    Roll Tide, y'all!

vCash
    I started Darynda Jones' "Fourth Grave Beneath My Feet" last night and had to force myself to stop so I could get to sleep at a reasonable hour. Totally escapist fiction with no pretentions toward literature. Exactly what my Christmas-fried brain needs.

vCash
    'Tis the season for "best of the year" etc. lists.

Here's a list from the reviewers at the Georgia Straight (Vancouver-area arts & culture weekly).

vCash
    I just picked up a copy of Inside Edge at the Thrift Store for 1$ - going to start reading it today at lunch. Hope its good.

Does anyone here like Ian Rankin? I put his latest book on my Xmas list - excited to here Rebus is in it though it doesn't sound like he is doing any detective work.

INTJ
    vCash
    I was just recently introduced to Ian Rankin and am thoroughly enjoying his writing. I have the new one on my nightstand ready to be cracked open.
    "Beautiful things don't ask for attention." -The Secret Life of Walter Mitty

Page 26 of 52 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast