Page 12 of 52 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Artemis@BC View Post
    I actually thought that was one of the strengths. Here's a boy who's had the most unusual and unpleastant upbringing, lives in a fantastical world, has seen death, has met his parents' killer face to face, has a crushing destiny ... but is still an ordinary teen with ordinary teen trials & tribulations. Perhaps a bit less of the teen angst would have been a good thing, but not a complete rewrite.
    I agree to some extent; I wouldn't have wanted everything about Harry to be a reaction to the magical part of his life, either. Still, I felt that the ordinary teen aspects were played up too much for someone who's had the experiences he did, and not in a very compelling way, either - Harry just seemed so paint by numbers in OotF and occasionally later. To me it seemed lazy, like the more normal parts of the character weren't well thought out. Surely somewhere between those extremes Rowling could have found a more interesting way to develop his character? She did a far better job with some of Harry's peers, IMO.

Trying to think of what I would have liked to see, I guess Buffy the Vampire Slayer might be a good model. Buffy also had quite a bit of supernatural events to deal with, faced a ton of responsibility and darkness in her life, and while I didn't feel she was defined entirely by these things, they certainly played a major part in her life. There were times when she was more of a typical teen/young adult, but the way the different parts of her life combined seemed more realistic to me.

Sexy Superhero
    vCash
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rfisher
    All my fellow Potter fans need to read Ben Aaronovitch's Midnight Riot. To quote one reviewer, "Midnight Riot is what would happen if Harry Potter grew up and joined the fuzz. A hilarous, keenly imagined caper."

I checked this book out from the library, and couldn't get into it at all. Other than the aspect of someone learning they are a wizard and then getting trained, the two books really aren't that similar. The main character was kinda boring, and his relationships with his mentor and Lisa were never really believable.

vCash
    Room is fantastic. I think the narrator takes a bit of getting used to, but once I did, I couldn't put it down.

I'm reading Where'd You'd Go, Bernadette which is funny and quirky so far. I'm really enjoying it so far.

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    BTW, Emma Donoghue has a new book out, just published a couple of weeks ago: Astray. It's a short story collection. I haven't read it yet but it's on my list. Many novel writers aren't as good in the short story format, but I have a feeling she will be. Plus I love having short stories as a kind of literary palate cleanser between novels.

vCash
    I've been trying to read HP for years, but just haven't been able to get through the first couple of books even though I've been assured that they get better/more complex. I actually do enjoy reading YA, though, so maybe that's not the issue. The first time I tried reading them, my reaction was "I love Tamora Pierce's Alana books so much more than this... I should go reread those."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TygerLily View Post
    I've been trying to read HP for years, but just haven't been able to get through the first couple of books even though I've been assured that they get better/more complex. I actually do enjoy reading YA, though, so maybe that's not the issue. The first time I tried reading them, my reaction was "I love Tamora Pierce's Alana books so much more than this... I should go reread those."

It really depends on your point of view. I loved the first HP, liked the second one quite a bit and from the third one on thought they got worse and worse and I disliked them more and more, to the point where I haven't even bothered to read the last one even though I've owned a copy since the week it was published.

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    I love Harry. I've read or listened to the audio at least 5 times now. In fact, I think Jim Dale and I are ready for another round in the car.
    Adelina Sotnikova defeated the curse of Esta She is indeed the Greatest Of All Time!

vCash
    I bought Room for Kindle. I can't believe I don't have wireless yet though. I haven't been able to download any of my books since I got here. Frustrating. There's a Starbucks in a different district. I may have to go to that just to use my Kindle. Plus I miss Starbucks [/typical American]

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by michiruwater View Post
    I bought Room for Kindle. I can't believe I don't have wireless yet though. I haven't been able to download any of my books since I got here. Frustrating. There's a Starbucks in a different district. I may have to go to that just to use my Kindle. Plus I miss Starbucks [/typical American]
    Ha! I don't even have a Kindle yet. I read ROOM at the Barnes & Noble (while drinking a Starbucks frap )

vCash
    There's a very limited selection of books in English here, and they're mostly classics that I've already read So, a Kindle seemed like the smart decision.

vCash
    Can you download books to your computer and then sideload the files to your Kindle? I don't have wifi at home so that's what I usually do, and the same thing goes for books I get from other sources.

vCash
    I have no idea what you just said. Sideload??

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    I am going to spoil Maigret Stonewalled since it has left me so incredulous:

Spoiler

Really???? I would have been shocked that Maigret took it upon himself to be the judge and the jury in this case had I not known a little something about Simenon. Maigret goes after the murderer with steady ferocity in all other novels I've read so far. But not in this one.
    Last edited by IceAlisa; 10-03-2012 at 09:11 AM.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    When I was in Copenhagen over the last few days, I watched a lot of American TV with Danish subtitle late at night. (Most of the shows I had never heard of.). There was one episode of something where there was a couple (maybe divorced) both of whom were on death row. The father was a psychopath who raped and killed many teenaged girls, and the mother was convicted for killing their son, although the body was never found. The wife was to be executed an hour or so after he husband, the governor wouldn't issue a stay for her, etc.

The detective -- maybe Dan Hedeya? -- is sure the son is alive, and the crime team tracks him down. He's a excellent cellist, who was adopted and raised by a wealthy family for whom the mother had cleaned house. The mother insists on being put to death, because she's not worthy and she doesn't want to ruin her son's life, and the detective decides to grant her wish and not pursue it, so the state executes an innocent person and facilitates her suicide. WTF?

I'm surprised to hear that this isn't limited to bad TV.
    "'Is this new BMW-designed sled the ultimate sledding machine for Langdon and Holcomb?' Leigh Diffey asked before the pair cruised to victory. I don’t know, but I know that sled is the ultimate Olympic Games product placement.." -- Jen Chaney

vCash
    I have no idea what you just said. Sideload??
    Sorry for the misunderstanding What I meant to ask was if you can download files to your computer, then connect the Kindle to it with the cable and transfer the files. It's not as quick but at least it gets you the books you want if you have internet access but not wifi.

vCash
    Just finished The Long Earth by Terry Pratchett and Stephen Baxter. I liked the beginning, with the establishment of the worlds and the characters. The middle was a bit plodding;

Spoiler

There is a second book planned, I found out just now, and that's good, 'cos there were quite a lot of loose ends at the end of TLE, and somehow it didn't feel like it was setting up for a sequel. (Perhaps I've gotten too used to George R.R. Martin's epic cliffhangers, which makes me want to offer the author endless supplies of coffee/money/chocolate if only the sequel would come faster. )

Next stop: Metro 2033. And The Art of District 9, which arrived from New Zealand the other day.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Zemgirl View Post
    Sorry for the misunderstanding What I meant to ask was if you can download files to your computer, then connect the Kindle to it with the cable and transfer the files. It's not as quick but at least it gets you the books you want if you have internet access but not wifi.
    Thank you so much! I had no idea this was possible Awesome. Thanks again.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    When I was in Copenhagen over the last few days, I watched a lot of American TV with Danish subtitle late at night. (Most of the shows I had never heard of.). There was one episode of something where there was a couple (maybe divorced) both of whom were on death row. The father was a psychopath who raped and killed many teenaged girls, and the mother was convicted for killing their son, although the body was never found. The wife was to be executed an hour or so after he husband, the governor wouldn't issue a stay for her, etc.

The detective -- maybe Dan Hedeya? -- is sure the son is alive, and the crime team tracks him down. He's a excellent cellist, who was adopted and raised by a wealthy family for whom the mother had cleaned house. The mother insists on being put to death, because she's not worthy and she doesn't want to ruin her son's life, and the detective decides to grant her wish and not pursue it, so the state executes an innocent person and facilitates her suicide. WTF?.
    I think this was an episode of Criminal Minds?

Ma name's Beckeh.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Angelskates View Post
    I think this was an episode of Criminal Minds?
    Yes, I think you're right.
    Roll Tide, y'all!

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Criminal Minds often has stupid story lines.

But it also has Shemar Moore.

What? I watch him for his acting.
    Trolling dates all the way back to 397 B.C. - People began following Plato around and would make fart noises after everything he said.

Page 12 of 52 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast