Page 4 of 52 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 1025
  1. #61
    Port de bras!!!
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Ravenclaw
    Posts
    30,139
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    34921
    Thanks for that, will check them out. Amazon.fr is very annoying.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

    from Speedy Death

  2. #62

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Deep in a Dream
    Posts
    7,571
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    20067
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    Thanks for that, will check them out. Amazon.fr is very annoying.
    De rien. I like Adler's. Although they're not a traditional brick-and-mortar bookstore, they would let me come into their warehouse and shop whenever I was in Evanston.
    My job requires me to be a juggler, but that does not mean that I enjoy working with clowns.

  3. #63
    Ma name's Beckeh.
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Room 101
    Posts
    1,922
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    1024
    The Rules of Civility by Amor Towles is $2.99 for both the Nook and Kindle editions, today only.
    Roll Tide, y'all!

  4. #64
    Port de bras!!!
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Ravenclaw
    Posts
    30,139
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    34921
    As soon as I bitched about amazon.fr being slow, my book arrived!

    I put the Best Mysteries on hold for a while and am into the 1st Maigret novel. Now I am starting to understand why Tinami dislikes him! While Poirot and Holmes have refinement along with their eccentricities, Maigret is rather working class. I am reading the novel called Pietr le Letton where Maigret is keeping an eye on a suspect in a luxurious hotel. Maigret sticks out like a sore thumb amid all the luxury despite his decent clothes; and the hotel staff can tell he doesn't belong. The hotel doesn't "digest" him. And to top it off, he snubs a hysterical and demanding billionaire's wife because he is ever-so-egalitarian. Now I get it.

    Anyway, is this the French police way or do all detectives stake out dangerous international criminals all on their own? And make it obvious to said criminals as to provoke them? The international man of mystery, Pietr le Letton is well aware of Maigret who is watching him without trying to hide it. What's the point? Also, said criminal was arrested twice in two different countries and wasn't ever fingerprinted?

    There's a chapter coming up called The Drunk Russian. I am looking forward to that.


    Quote Originally Posted by galaxygirl View Post
    The Rules of Civility by Amor Towles is $2.99 for both the Nook and Kindle editions, today only.
    I'd say it's worth the $2.99.
    Last edited by IceAlisa; 09-17-2012 at 06:32 PM.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

    from Speedy Death

  5. #65
    Port de bras!!!
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Ravenclaw
    Posts
    30,139
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    34921
    It appears M. Simenon was a known antisemite, having authored 17 articles under the title "The Jewish Peril." Le sigh.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

    from Speedy Death

  6. #66

    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Not after the same people as Theatregirl
    Posts
    21,938
    vCash
    350
    Rep Power
    38410
    Yeah. When I found out what a homophobic twit Orson Scott Card is, it became very hard for me to recommend Ender's Game to my students.

  7. #67
    I <3 Kozuka
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Vancouver/Seattle
    Posts
    19,212
    vCash
    730
    Rep Power
    44320
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    It appears M. Simenon was a known antisemite, having authored 17 articles under the title "The Jewish Peril." Le sigh.
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessLeppard View Post
    Yeah. When I found out what a homophobic twit Orson Scott Card is, it became very hard for me to recommend Ender's Game to my students.
    Edith Wharton would have to be struck off the school curriculum given her own anti-semitism.

    With the right teachers, surely there's a lesson in the distinction between an author/composer/artist who expresses heinous beliefs within his/her work, like "A Birth of a Nation," authors whose literature/art displays none of the beliefs, and authors -- for Wagner wrote his own libretti -- for whom it's an ongoing argument about whether characters and/or themes represent their beliefs.

    Adam Gopnik discusses the dilemma in, of all things, "The Table Comes First: France, Family, and the Meaning of Food."
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

  8. #68
    Port de bras!!!
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Ravenclaw
    Posts
    30,139
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    34921
    I will check out the Gopnik article, thanks! I don't believe in boycotting what I call 'the talented bigots.' Edith Wharton too?

    So far it seems Simenon dislikes: Jews, Russians, Poles or any kind of immigrant, billionares' wives, hotel managers and certain policemen.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

    from Speedy Death

  9. #69
    I <3 Kozuka
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Vancouver/Seattle
    Posts
    19,212
    vCash
    730
    Rep Power
    44320
    This Gopnik was a book that I spent months savoring and was when I finished.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

  10. #70

    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    3,268
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    3493
    I am now deeply into my reading of Moby-Dick. The first discussion class was great and the leader keeps e-mailing us links to items of interest. Meanwhile, 3 days ago the Moby-Dick Big Read started. One chapter per day is being read aloud and broadcast; each chapter is being read by someone different. I listened to Tilda Swinton read Chapter 1, and aside from mispronouncing forecastle, she was great. You can hear the 3 chapters broadcast so far at www.mobydickbigread.com.

    At the end of all of this I might dislike the book as much as everyone else seems to; it's too early to say. However, one thing I can say is that I am not bored in the slightest; this is most definitely not curing my insomnia.

    IceAlisa, I think you would enjoy this discussion group. We had so much to talk about at the first session that we ran out of time.

  11. #71
    Port de bras!!!
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Ravenclaw
    Posts
    30,139
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    34921
    Add Americans to the list of people Simenon disliked. That list is growing. There are well-written parts of the story but the glorious machismo of the silent and strong Maigret is overdone.

    For instance, he gets shot--the bullet grazes his chest and ends up causing a superficial wound. Is he going to see a doctor to dress it? Take a day off? Nope. He soldiers on on his investigative mission, handkerchief balled up and pressed to the wound.

    Now really...
    Last edited by IceAlisa; 09-19-2012 at 05:54 PM.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

    from Speedy Death

  12. #72

    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    In the Land of Unrealistic Assumptions
    Posts
    4,617
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    5648
    I'm back into Vampire mode with Jeannine Frost's "Once Burned." I've got to give Frost props for originality: the main character is a woman who was electrocuted as a child and survived but was left scarred and with the ability to channel electricity through her right hand and pick up psychic vibes from anything she touches. She's kidnapped by vampires who want to use her to track down the infamous Vlad the Impaler. Instead he frees her and takes her to his estate in Romania so she can help him track down whoever it is that wants to get him. And I'm only about 75 pages into the book. It does rocket right along.

    I also have James Patterson's "Violets are Blue" going in the car which concerns a vampre cult leaving corpses around the country like confetti. I've jumped around the series a lot and now am filling in gaps so it's a little hard for me to remember just where this fits into the chronology, but since that mostly concerns Cross' many girlfriends, I don't worry about it too much. I don't know how the cops solve anything, though, given that they never seem to get more than three hours of sleep at a time and seem to go days without eating. Maybe they're the vampires...
    I'd rather be thought of as absolutely ridiculous than as absolutely boring.

  13. #73
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Chicago
    Age
    42
    Posts
    3,726
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessLeppard View Post
    Yeah. When I found out what a homophobic twit Orson Scott Card is, it became very hard for me to recommend Ender's Game to my students.
    I was ready to finally get this book when someone on twitter linked one of his many anti-gay articles, now I just can't do it. Everyone I know who's read it says it's a great book and I'm sure I'd agree, but I also know I would constantly be thinking about how awful he is while reading it. Saving myself the anxiety.

  14. #74
    Ma name's Beckeh.
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Room 101
    Posts
    1,922
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    1024
    Ender's Game is awesome. Why is the author such a douche?

    I have way too many library books to read. I'm reading Gone Girl which I'm enjoying but I'm really in a YA mood at the moment. I just finished Glimmer (sucked) and Unraveling (awesome!) and now I have the following books checked out. They all look so good but I can't read them all before they're due back and I don't know where to start. What to do, what to do...

    Something Strange and Deadly by Susan Dennard
    Shift by Kim Curran
    The Body Finder by Kimberly Derting
    The Gathering by Kelley Armstrong
    The Space Between by Brenna Yovanoff
    Under the Never Sky by Veronica Rossi
    Born Wicked by Jessica Spotswood
    A Breath of Eyre by Eve Marie Mont

    Right now I'm thinking either Something Strange and Deadly (steampunk zombies!) or The Space Between (the daughter of Lilith and Lucifer!)
    Roll Tide, y'all!

  15. #75
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Entitiled
    Posts
    5,615
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessLeppard View Post
    Yeah. When I found out what a homophobic twit Orson Scott Card is, it became very hard for me to recommend Ender's Game to my students.
    I had no idea about Orson Scott Card, that's seriously depressing. I have not been to my library for the past 3 months, and I usually go once a week, so I'm looking forward to seeing what new books are available. I truly do enjoy just browsing through the new book section at the library or Barnes & Noble, getting an over priced coffee and spending the entire afternoon reading a book or two.


    I just recommended "Dancing in the Glory of Monsters" to a friend, but I haven't read the book since it first came out, so maybe I'll re-read it when i get back to the states.
    Last edited by lulu; 09-19-2012 at 05:51 PM.

  16. #76

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    4,762
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    I will check out the Gopnik article, thanks! I don't believe in boycotting what I call 'the talented bigots.' Edith Wharton too?
    I don't want bigots, talented or otherwise, to get any of my money in the form of royalties. If the books are in the public domain, it doesn't bother me so long as the bigotry stays out of the book. But I can't read Georgette Heyer, for instance - some of her books have antisemitic content, and whether intentional or not, it makes me uncomfortable.

  17. #77
    Port de bras!!!
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Ravenclaw
    Posts
    30,139
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    34921
    Quote Originally Posted by emason View Post
    I am now deeply into my reading of Moby-Dick. The first discussion class was great and the leader keeps e-mailing us links to items of interest. Meanwhile, 3 days ago the Moby-Dick Big Read started. One chapter per day is being read aloud and broadcast; each chapter is being read by someone different. I listened to Tilda Swinton read Chapter 1, and aside from mispronouncing forecastle, she was great. You can hear the 3 chapters broadcast so far at www.mobydickbigread.com.

    At the end of all of this I might dislike the book as much as everyone else seems to; it's too early to say. However, one thing I can say is that I am not bored in the slightest; this is most definitely not curing my insomnia.

    IceAlisa, I think you would enjoy this discussion group. We had so much to talk about at the first session that we ran out of time.
    Thank you! To be honest, I am very intimidated by Moby Dick but will check out the group.

    Quote Originally Posted by Zemgirl View Post
    I don't want bigots, talented or otherwise, to get any of my money in the form of royalties. If the books are in the public domain, it doesn't bother me so long as the bigotry stays out of the book. But I can't read Georgette Heyer, for instance - some of her books have antisemitic content, and whether intentional or not, it makes me uncomfortable.
    I do my best to avoid bigots who are still alive but really can't stay away from Dostoyevsky, Hemingway et al. Never heard of Georgette Heyer, probably a good thing.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

    from Speedy Death

  18. #78
    ((Swedish skating dudes))
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Posts
    2,440
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    1090
    Quote Originally Posted by Spinner View Post
    I was ready to finally get this book when someone on twitter linked one of his many anti-gay articles, now I just can't do it. Everyone I know who's read it says it's a great book and I'm sure I'd agree, but I also know I would constantly be thinking about how awful he is while reading it. Saving myself the anxiety.
    If it makes you feel any better I thought it was overrated. Admittedly I'd read one of his rants before reading Ender's Game (got a second hand copy), but I'd also read the first book of Alvin Maker (which I read before the anti-gay rants) which I found to be somewhere between dull and outright bad.

    Quote Originally Posted by Zemgirl View Post
    I don't want bigots, talented or otherwise, to get any of my money in the form of royalties. If the books are in the public domain, it doesn't bother me so long as the bigotry stays out of the book. But I can't read Georgette Heyer, for instance - some of her books have antisemitic content, and whether intentional or not, it makes me uncomfortable.
    This is pretty much my approach too. You have to be able to separate the artist from the artwork, but I'm not willing to give money to people who hold views I detest.

  19. #79
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Chicago
    Age
    42
    Posts
    3,726
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Evilynn View Post
    If it makes you feel any better I thought it was overrated.
    Thanks, yes.

  20. #80

    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,812
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    424
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    This Gopnik was a book that I spent months savoring and was when I finished.
    because it was over or because it was bad?

Page 4 of 52 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •