Page 3 of 52 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    Speaking of book prize lists ... the longlist for the Giller Prize is up. Generally speaking I find the Giller winners and nominees more, um, readable than any of the other big literary prizes.

I'm already in the library queue for Y, will have to check out some of the other titles. I've read several of these authors, but not the nominated books/

Loving on babies!
    vCash
    I have been going through re-reading Rex Stout's Nero Wolfe mysteries (always re-readable). But just downloaded biographies of Nelson Mandela and Julia Child onto the kindle that may get started tonight at work (if it's a slow work night)
    I am free of all prejudices. I hate everyone equally.~W. C. Fields

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by zaphyre14 View Post
    I agree. I can't think of a book of hers that I've actually enjoyed, but then I stopped reading them a long time ago.

I'm finished with vampires for a bit now and moving back to a couple of cozy mysteries I 've had sitting around. I need a little less blood and mayhem in my life this week.
    I too am one with vampire books for a while as I just read Discovery of Witches. Yes, I know I'm a year late to that bandwagon. As deliciously dreadful as Twilight is, it is high literature compared to its spinoffs. Bella is practically a card-carrying feminazi by comparison.

So, I decided to go with apocalyptic and am reading The Windup Girl. I think it would be great if I knew what the freaking hell was going on in the book. I figure after 150 pages in, you should have some basic idea about the layout of the book's universe, right?
    "The practice of sport is a human right. Every individual must have the possibility of practicing sport, without discrimination of any kind and in the Olympic spirit, which requires mutual understanding with a spirit of friendship, solidarity and fair play." –Olympic Charter

Ma name's Beckeh.
    vCash
    The Kindle edition of The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich is $1.99, today only. I don't have a Kindle (yet) so I guess I'll be reading this on my phone.
    Roll Tide, y'all!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by galaxygirl View Post
    The Kindle edition of The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich is $1.99, today only. I don't have a Kindle (yet) so I guess I'll be reading this on my phone.
    The link didn't work, but this should.

And I would definitely recommend an e-reader. Much nicer than reading on your phone, and they're becoming so inexpensive!

Ma name's Beckeh.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Zemgirl View Post
    The link didn't work, but this should.

And I would definitely recommend an e-reader. Much nicer than reading on your phone, and they're becoming so inexpensive!
    Thanks for the correct link. I'm posting from my phone and I always have problems posting links.

I actually have a Nook but I'm considering getting a Kindle Paperwhite when it comes out. I think the Nook and the Kindle both have things they do better than the other so they'll complement each other nicely. The Kindle usually has better daily deals while the Nook has more library books available.
    Roll Tide, y'all!

vCash
    I actually have a Nook but I'm considering getting a Kindle Paperwhite when it comes out. I think the Nook and the Kindle both have things they do better than the other so they'll complement each other nicely. The Kindle usually has better daily deals while the Nook has more library books available.
    I considered the Nook - until I found out they don't sell them internationally. I did like that it was an EPub reader. I think you're right about them complimenting each other, especially now that the Agency model is being phased out and we'll likely start seeing more deals.

I'll stick with my Kindle Keyboard as long as it's working

Ma name's Beckeh.
    vCash
    The Nook edition of A Winter's Tale is $1.99 today. I apologize is advance if the link doesn't work.

Zem, glad the Kindle is working well for you. Have you seen the specs for the new Paperwhite? It looks really nice. I posted the link upthread (on my laptop so it should work. )
    Roll Tide, y'all!

vCash
    Zem, glad the Kindle is working well for you. Have you seen the specs for the new Paperwhite? It looks really nice. I posted the link upthread (on my laptop so it should work. )
    It does look nice! But I can't justify buying a new device - have only had my Keyboard for a little over a year, and it works fine. I'm sure eventually it'll die, and then I'll upgrade to whatever looks best... I guess I'm no company's dream consumer

Paperwhite is not a great name.

Ma name's Beckeh.
    vCash
    It makes me think of White Out.
    Roll Tide, y'all!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Zemgirl View Post
    Paperwhite is not a great name.
    It makes me think of White Out.
    I'm loving the idea of the new lighted eink screens. Kobo has also announced theirs and I'll have to check it out in stores when it's released. But I do not need a new ereader, sigh.

vCash
    So on the ridiculously long travel over to China I read all of Gillian Flynn's first book, Sharp Objects, and I think, in the end, I actually liked it better than Gone Girl. You can see that her writing's evolved somewhat between the two, but the ending of SO was better and the mystery came together in a much more believable fashion. I bought Dark Places too, so I'll get to that eventually. Right now I'm reading The Flander's Panel by Arturo Pérez-Reverte. Really liking it so far.

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by michiruwater View Post
    So on the ridiculously long travel over to China I read all of Gillian Flynn's first book, Sharp Objects, and I think, in the end, I actually liked it better than Gone Girl. You can see that her writing's evolved somewhat between the two, but the ending of SO was better and the mystery came together in a much more believable fashion..
    Hmmm. I read Sharp Objects and thought it was interesting, but it did not make me particularly want to read Gone Girl. I've been debating whether to give it a try.
    Trolling dates all the way back to 397 B.C. - People began following Plato around and would make fart noises after everything he said.

vCash
    Ever heard of a novel called Marathon Man? Someone gave me a copy but I was wondering how good is it?!
    “Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.” William Shakespeare

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    Ever heard of a novel called Marathon Man? Someone gave me a copy but I was wondering how good is it?!
    By William Goldman? Sure.

Never read it; seen the movie.

"Is it safe?"
    Trolling dates all the way back to 397 B.C. - People began following Plato around and would make fart noises after everything he said.

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    i loved it when i read it but it was many years ago
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

vCash
    Thanks guys. I am looking forward to it now.
    “Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.” William Shakespeare

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    I am reading The 50 Greatest Mysteries of All Time compiled by Otto Penzler and picked up at a discount. I am the kind who reads introductions and this one was well worth reading: wonderfully snarky and unpretentious. I was surprised he didn't include anything by Christie and found out why. Her and a few other mystery writers' agents turned out to ask a much higher price than the anthology could afford. He actually names them all, all the greedy ones!

The first one is Poe's Purloined Letter. Who could fault this choice? But along with the big names like Poe and Conan Doyle, there are many unknown to me so I look forward to discovering them.

My Simenon arrives next week from amazon France. They take a loooooong time to ship, much slower than the British amazon.
    Last edited by IceAlisa; 09-16-2012 at 06:35 PM.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

Just me
    vCash
    Ever heard of a novel called Marathon Man?
    I read the book and saw the movie. Enjoyed them both.
    If this is to end in fire
    Then we will all burn together

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    My Simenon arrives next week from amazon France. They take a loooooong time to ship, much slower than the British amazon.
    That's been my experience with Amazon.fr as well. I try, whenever possible, to get foreign-language books from a US source. I often use Adler's in Evanston, IL.
    My job requires me to be a juggler, but that does not mean that I enjoy working with clowns.

Page 3 of 52 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast