Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Prick Admin
    vCash
    I'm sure nothing like that will happen to Libertango during her holiday though.
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    And I was once directly and overtly assaulted by a team of adult female pickpockets when I was walking near the Vatican. Do be careful.
    I'm sorry this happened to you. How can one be careful, though? You were most likely careful and this still happened to you. I'm going to Rome and I'm worried about such things, but I don't want to let that spoil my trip by constantly walking in fear (there's a fine line between being cautious and overly-cautious). And I've traveled to Europe several times (but never to Italy).

Beach Bum
    vCash
    Just don't carry too much cash or all your credit cards at one time. That way, if you do get robbed, you won't lose much, you can cancel 1 card and not be too inconvenienced. It can happen anywhere!
    I think I will have a snack and take a nap before I eat and go to sleep.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Stefanie View Post
    I'm sorry this happened to you. How can one be careful, though? You were most likely careful and this still happened to you. I'm going to Rome and I'm worried about such things, but I don't want to let that spoil my trip by constantly walking in fear (there's a fine line between being cautious and overly-cautious). And I've traveled to Europe several times (but never to Italy).
    I've been to several Italian cities. None of them are like Rome. I felt completely safe everywhere else I went.

Only bring 1 credit card. As Rob said, don't carry a lot of cash. Bring a small bag that goes over your shoulder and will stay under your arm. Make sure it zips. Also make sure that it has a zipper compartment to hold important items. Often they do not try to snatch the bag, they will cut the bottom open and take what falls out. If your credit cards, cash, and passport are in a zippered compartment, they are less likely to fall out. It is also harder for someone to reach in and grab something that is behind 2 zippers.

vCash
    Thanks you everyone! I can't wait to be there!

Quote Originally Posted by vesperholly View Post
    The only flaw I see is you need to geographically group your trip more geographically, or you'll waste a lot of time walking back and forth.
    Yes, this a what I need most advice on to save time. I can't seem to find the closest bus and tram stops (Porta pia & le Regina Margherita/Nomentana) on any map. But the people at the B&B will probably tell us how to get in town. If it's more convenient we'll take the metro at Policlinico or Castro Pretorio and stay around the hotel for dinner, there seem to be nice restaurants around Porta pia.

As for safety & beggars, we are aware of the problems like any big citites in Europe. My family is originally from India and sad to say but the sight of horrible physical disabilities on the street does not shock us . I live in France and expect the level of pickpockets to be the same as in Paris around touristic sights.
    I don't like to carry bags. When I last went to India I had a small fabric shoulder bag under my clothes with my passeport/cash/credit card/phone. It was unnoticeable until I wanted to buy something and had to take the bag out obviously

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Libertango View Post
    As for safety & beggars, we are aware of the problems like any big citites in Europe. My family is originally from India and sad to say but the sight of horrible physical disabilities on the street does not shock us
    I suppose not . It is, however, disturbing that these people are brought to Rome, for the express purpose of using their disabilities to con money.

I live in France and expect the level of pickpockets to be the same as in Paris around touristic sights.
    Rome is much worse than Paris.

I don't like to carry bags. When I last went to India I had a small fabric shoulder bag under my clothes with my passeport/cash/credit card/phone. It was unnoticeable until I wanted to buy something and had to take the bag out obviously
    Good plan!

vCash
    Yes, this a what I need most advice on to save time. I can't seem to find the closest bus and tram stops (Porta pia & le Regina Margherita/Nomentana) on any map. But the people at the B&B will probably tell us how to get in town. If it's more convenient we'll take the metro at Policlinico or Castro Pretorio and stay around the hotel for dinner, there seem to be nice restaurants around Porta pia.
    This website has some good information: http://www.rometoolkit.com/transport/rome_bus.htm

FWIW, my parents found Rome to be dangerous and the people rude. They went 10 months before I did, and I had a great experience. Surely the tenor of the city could not change that quickly. YMMV.

vCash
    Rome is like any big city. You will find very nice people and very rude people. Just like New York, Paris, etc. I found that most Italians were very nice and accommodating. I found the bus system to be confusing, very hard to go from point A to point B easily. But, after our experience on the Metro, we stayed off of that. It is not as walkable as other cities, it is just bigger. The danger was from the indigents. Which, as I said were not Italian. The Italians, in Rome are as disturbed by what is going on as the tourists. They will warn you about certain areas, where it's safe after dark, etc.

I found, even the maze called Venice, to be easier to get around than Rome. But, it's smaller and more fun to get lost in .

Florence is probably the friendliest and most walkable city I've been to. And (in my opinion) the most beautiful.

vCash
    I've been back from Rome and I thought I would post an update about the trip.

Rome is a beautiful city! I really want to go back.
    We stayed in the historic center and I found it very walkable (we walked from Piazza del Popolo -> Colosseum). The 6 euros day pass was not worth it in the end I think because we walked to everything and used the metro to go from/to the hotel only. Took the tram a few times but it was less convenient IMHO than the metro.

About the indigents/safety concerns...I found them to be pretty much non existent. Maybe because it's not the high touristic season or maybe because I was prepared for the worst? I don't know. There were beggars around touristic places of course, and main shopping streets but no "pickpocket bands" like in Paris I felt. Policemen were on platforms at Termini on both nights we were there (around 10 pm) so it felt pretty safe.

vCash

We stayed in the historic center and I found it very walkable (we walked from Piazza del Popolo -> Colosseum). The 6 euros day pass was not worth it in the end I think because we walked to everything and used the metro to go from/to the hotel only. Took the tram a few times but it was less convenient IMHO than the metro.

About the indigents/safety concerns...I found them to be pretty much non existent. Maybe because it's not the high touristic season or maybe because I was prepared for the worst? I don't know. There were beggars around touristic places of course, and main shopping streets but no "pickpocket bands" like in Paris I felt. Policemen were on platforms at Termini on both nights we were there (around 10 pm) so it felt pretty safe.
    Happy to see you had fun!

vCash

So happy you enjoyed it. Hard to say about the pickpockets and time of year. Last time I was there was mid September, 2 years ago. The place was MOBBED with tourists and pickpockets. A week can make a difference. 2 years even more of a difference. Anyway, you had a wonderful time, and that is all that matters

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12