Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
Results 101 to 120 of 146
  1. #101

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Age
    48
    Posts
    17,937
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    33912
    Quote Originally Posted by misskarne View Post
    I certainly got a taste of that when I sprained my shoulder earlier this year - all of a sudden I was stuck answering the phone instead of helping at stocktake. Boss was not pleased but I was suitably repentent.

    While I can understand that mindset/fear...perhaps something needs to be done in terms of adult skaters and addressing this concept that getting seriously injured skating is so easy to do? I've never seen a single broken bone at my rink in the two years I've been skating, and that's every level from Tiny Tot to Senior.
    You are rare then if you haven't seen or heard about a serious injury at skating.

    Still doesn't stop that fear and I don't think there is anything you do to allay it. What you can do is show people how to get started in a way that could help reduce the risk, build their confidence and help them get their balance so they get used to the ice (bend knees, keep feet underneath you, take small steps for an absolute beginner). But at the end of the day you have to say to them you are still going to fall. It is inevitable.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

  2. #102
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    685
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    In order to make it figure skating
    only, the facility has a somewhat
    smaller ice surface. At 80-by-130,
    it's about two-thirds the size of an
    NHL rink.
    I'm not sure if I follow this reasoning, can someone kindly explain why they purposefully make it smaller? Can hockey force its way into privately owned rinks against the owners' will?

  3. #103

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Age
    48
    Posts
    17,937
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    33912
    Quote Originally Posted by jjane45 View Post
    I'm not sure if I follow this reasoning, can someone kindly explain why they purposefully make it smaller? Can hockey force its way into privately owned rinks against the owners' will?
    It is up the rink owners how they want to manage it. So no they cannot.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

  4. #104
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    1,421
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I'm not sure if I follow this reasoning, can someone kindly explain why they purposefully make it smaller? Can hockey force its way into privately owned rinks against the owners' will?
    LOL, attack of the hockey players. Maybe he's thinking it will help him resist the temptation of all that potential hockey revenue. Most rinks in the US depend on hockey to bring in enough money to make a profit. I really wonder how handling 30 or even 50 figure skaters can produce enough income to cover their expenses. With rates as low as they have set, I think maybe they are prepared to lose money for a couple years while building their clientele.

    The page about Katia's tot classes was an eye opener. OMG, if I had a 5 yo who wanted to skate, I can't imagine a better deal that being one of a half dozen kids in Katia's class. With a group that size, every kid would be getting a lot of her attention.

  5. #105

    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    1,880
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    1388
    Quote Originally Posted by jjane45 View Post
    I'm not sure if I follow this reasoning, can someone kindly explain why they purposefully make it smaller? Can hockey force its way into privately owned rinks against the owners' will?
    The bigger the surface the more it costs to refrigerate and maintain. The more it costs, the more bodies you have to put on the ice per day to turn a profit. Less expenses, less need to turn to hockey to make $$$.

  6. #106
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    672
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    good luck on your rink,
    i am non-skater, so prices seem okay to me, but what woke me up is the use of exercise equipment. of $10 per machine-seems a bit much, but then i don't know, is your use of equipment usually included in your ice time, practice, coaching etc. i don't know.
    for me it would seem better to get another club membership that focuses on overall atheletes like some gym memberships, but then i don't know.

    good luck, seems nice and focuses just on skaters which is great. but partial to another rink-sorry

  7. #107
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Sending positive thoughts to Mirai..
    Posts
    3,715
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I wish Katia and Ilia every success with their skating center!

  8. #108
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    685
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by pixie cut View Post
    The bigger the surface the more it costs to refrigerate and maintain. The more it costs, the more bodies you have to put on the ice per day to turn a profit. Less expenses, less need to turn to hockey to make $$$.
    Thanks everyone, that makes more sense now. Especially if they have prior experiences with rinks at this size and feel it's a good balance of cost and return. If an OGM can do his program run through on smaller ice surface, guess others can do it as well...

  9. #109
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    1,816
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Susan M View Post
    LOL, attack of the hockey players. Maybe he's thinking it will help him resist the temptation of all that potential hockey revenue. Most rinks in the US depend on hockey to bring in enough money to make a profit. I really wonder how handling 30 or even 50 figure skaters can produce enough income to cover their expenses. With rates as low as they have set, I think maybe they are prepared to lose money for a couple years while building their clientele.

    The page about Katia's tot classes was an eye opener. OMG, if I had a 5 yo who wanted to skate, I can't imagine a better deal that being one of a half dozen kids in Katia's class. With a group that size, every kid would be getting a lot of her attention.
    If we could get even a half dozen five year olds to have her basic skating and posture, I would be so excited for the prospects of figure skating!

  10. #110
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    685
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I was reading the book "Second Mark" and they mention in the Soviet days, kids work on crossovers and just crossovers for a year before anything else. I am sure Katia and Ilia will really focus on basic skills, curious about the class structure

  11. #111
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Two-foot skating = BAD
    Posts
    20,464
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by jjane45 View Post
    I was reading the book "Second Mark" and they mention in the Soviet days, kids work on crossovers and just crossovers for a year before anything else. I am sure Katia and Ilia will really focus on basic skills, curious about the class structure
    This is something that every coach should follow.

    In order to jump, you first need to learn how to skate properly.

    I know a coach (that I respect a lot) that doesn't do any jumps with their skaters during their first year of training.
    Last edited by Ziggy; 09-18-2012 at 05:27 AM.

  12. #112

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Age
    48
    Posts
    17,937
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    33912
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    This is something what every coach should follow.

    In order to jump, you first need to learn how to skate properly.

    I know a coach (that I respect a lot) that doesn't do any jumps with their skaters for the first year of training.
    I so wish that the skaters I judged focussed on this. They are all too keen to work on spins and jumps before learning to develop good skating technique.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

  13. #113
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Entitiled
    Posts
    5,615
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    The December issue of IFS features a nice interview with Ilia and Katia where they discuss their rink and transition into coaching.
    Last edited by lulu; 11-17-2012 at 03:27 AM.

  14. #114

    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    29,575
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    42553
    Does the article address Kulik's reason(s) for the smaller-than-standard rink size?
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

  15. #115
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Entitiled
    Posts
    5,615
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Does the article address Kulik's reason(s) for the smaller-than-standard rink size?
    It does. Ilia specifically wanted the rink to be a training facility for figure skaters, and as such, they don't offer hockey or public skating. In order accommodate the lack of revenue that hockey and public skating would have brought the rink, they had to adjust the size of the rink. Ilia does mention that the rink is large enough to practice quad jumps. They also mentioned in the interview that it was important to offer flexibility to skaters and their families, and to offer off-ice classes in addition to the on-ice classes. From the article, it looks like Ilia focuses on teaching jumping technique and Katia focuses on teaching skating skills and younger skaters.

  16. #116

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,662
    vCash
    532
    Rep Power
    16524
    Quote Originally Posted by misskarne View Post
    I certainly got a taste of that when I sprained my shoulder earlier this year - all of a sudden I was stuck answering the phone instead of helping at stocktake. Boss was not pleased but I was suitably repentent.

    While I can understand that mindset/fear...perhaps something needs to be done in terms of adult skaters and addressing this concept that getting seriously injured skating is so easy to do? I've never seen a single broken bone at my rink in the two years I've been skating, and that's every level from Tiny Tot to Senior.
    My friend (adult skater) broke her ankle. Another friend (also adult skater) had broken leg on two places. I haven't broken anything, but I had concussion twice, and I needed surgery once for torn meniscus (knee) and once for torn labrum (in hip) and partially torn iliopsoas and gluteus medius. (All those are injuries within the last 5 years). I know about a lot of skaters (both adult and children) who has had injuries from skating. I really can't believe that you don't know about any injuries at your rink.

  17. #117

    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    1,610
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    2138
    As far as the size of the ice and the future is concerned, Ilia did what I think is a very smart thing. He told me that he had worked with Art Sutherland of the prominent Canadian firm, Accent Refrigeration to design a refrigeration system where the compressor and all those other key parts (which are usually in a machine room in the building) are contained in a trailor which is out behind the building (fenced in). If Ilia wants, eventually, to move to another building and offer a bigger ice surface, most of the the refrigeration system can go with him.
    Last edited by Willowway; 11-17-2012 at 06:12 PM.

  18. #118
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Entitiled
    Posts
    5,615
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Thanks for the info, I certainly got the impression from the interview that Ilia put a lot of thought into the rink. Hopefully all of his hardwork will continue to pay off.
    In the article, Ilia mentioned that it was important to offer off-ice training in addition to the on-ice lessons, do you know if they have a ballet/dance instructor at the rink?

  19. #119

    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    1,610
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    2138
    Not sure who, if anyone, they have there yet - it's all in early stages. I know he was planning on getting a variety of teachers in there so that the skaters can study various dance forms - ballet, jazz, modern, etc.

  20. #120
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    66
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    My local rink closed due to finacial hardship. I live in the high desert and the cost for electricity to make ice in summer was the death nell. I was told it was $8,000.00 a month.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •