Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 146
  1. #81
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    7,922
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    228
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Willy View Post
    It is not the size but rather what you do with it that matters.
    Can't tell you the number of times I've heard that line.

  2. #82
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Entitiled
    Posts
    5,615
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Willowway View Post
    Love it! ITA, these are two people who know what they're doing.
    Do you know when/where Ilia's interview(s) about the rink are going to be published? I'm looking forward to reading about his and Katia's vision for the rink.

  3. #83

    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    1,610
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    2138
    Interviews are in Ilia's planning, no schedule so far but as things are published I'll post links here so you can be sure to read them. Ilia has spoken to the Krew about his planning and his ideas (some of which are reflected clearly on the Kulik's Skating website) - it's so interesting and inspiring, and always best in his words.

    That said, if you want to get a better idea of how Ilia works and what some of his core values are, please read under "Testimonials" (on the Kulik's Skating website) the letters from Amanda and her mom. There are some very specific details there and I, for one, found their observations very interesting. So far nothing in that department about Katia but the website is only a week old. Also read through the offerings for Coaches, Adult Skaters and all those categories - he speaks to what he believes.
    Last edited by Willowway; 09-08-2012 at 10:44 PM.

  4. #84
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    42
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Willy View Post
    I heard and read that Sergei had to keep up with her because she was so fast. She really has the most amazing skating technique. I could probably watch her just skate around the rink all day.

    A coach of mine saw them compete as juniors before they won their world championships. It was at Skate Canada and he was told they were the ones to watch. I will have to ask him about it again.

    Actually, Sergei had it much harder. He could definitely skate as fast as Katia, but since he was so much taller, he was told to shorten the width of his stroke, so that it would match her much shorter legs. So, he had to try to skate as fast as possible with a contrived shorter stroke. That's kind of amazing in and of itself.

  5. #85
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Entitiled
    Posts
    5,615
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Willowway View Post
    Interviews are in Ilia's planning, no schedule so far but as things are published I'll post links here so you can be sure to read them. Ilia has spoken to the Krew about his planning and his ideas (some of which are reflected clearly on the Kulik's Skating website) - it's so interesting and inspiring, and always best in his words.

    That said, if you want to get a better idea of how Ilia works and what some of his core values are, please read under "Testimonials" (on the Kulik's Skating website) the letters from Amanda and her mom. There are some very specific details there and I, for one, found their observations very interesting. So far nothing in that department about Katia but the website is only a week old. Also read through the offerings for Coaches, Adult Skaters and all those categories - he speaks to what he believes.
    Thanks. I know it's the not the same as having personal one-on-one coaching, but Ilia would be an ideal candidate to make a "how to skate" training video, both in terms of teaching correct jumping technique and basic stroking, gaining speed, etc. Just a thought.

  6. #86

    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    1,610
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    2138
    Just a thought.
    And a good one.

  7. #87
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    4
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    From what I saw on the website, the new skating center looks great. I don't know anything about skating competitively and I haven't watched skating on tv for a while (I was more of a fan in my younger years), but I do believe that regular exercise is an important part of a healthy lifestyle and I think a skating center is good for any community to have. I like that they offer skating lessons for kids and adults, not just for competitive skaters. I think it's great to go and take classes just to stay fit and active. It provides a better alternative to many other things kids could be doing. The picture of Katia with the little kids is very cute. I'd take my kids to her classes if I were in the area. I'm sure she's great with them. I'm sure they'll iron out a few wrinkles as they road-test the website, so to speak, but it looks rather elegant to me, and as an old GG fan I was glad to read the part about GG in Katia's bit.

    I wish them great success with this new business venture and I hope they find their niche in the community and can make a long-lasting, positive impact.

  8. #88
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Entitiled
    Posts
    5,615
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by reve View Post
    Actually, Sergei had it much harder. He could definitely skate as fast as Katia, but since he was so much taller, he was told to shorten the width of his stroke, so that it would match her much shorter legs. So, he had to try to skate as fast as possible with a contrived shorter stroke. That's kind of amazing in and of itself.
    I'm always in awe at how amazingly difficult pairs skating is. Granted, I'm not exactly an expert on sports, but I would put pairs skating against almost any other athletic endeavor in terms of difficulty.

    Back to the main topic on hand though, I love the second pic of Katia teaching the kids' skating class, she looks like she's having a blast.

  9. #89
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    116
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by lulu View Post
    Back to the main topic on hand though, I love the second pic of Katia teaching the kids' skating class, she looks like she's having a blast.
    Hmm where is this pic of Katia teaching the kids? I only see the two pics of her performing and the video.

  10. #90
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Entitiled
    Posts
    5,615
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    It's under "Katia's Kids Class" http://www.kuliksskating.com/for-little-skaters.html

    The second pic. Granted, the pic is really small, but it looks like she's having a great time.

  11. #91
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    116
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by lulu View Post
    It's under "Katia's Kids Class" http://www.kuliksskating.com/for-little-skaters.html

    The second pic. Granted, the pic is really small, but it looks like she's having a great time.
    Thanks Lulu! It looks like they've updated the website a bit more since I looked in those sections. It does look like she's having a great time.

    I'm a little bit surprised that there's not more on Katia on the site. I know that this is Ilia's "baby," so to speak, but given how respected she is as a skater in the general skating community (arguably even more so than Ilia), I wonder if it's a purposeful decision on her part to take more of a background role. Then again, I never got the sense that she was as passionate about coaching as Ilia was, so it may be as simple as that.

  12. #92
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    684
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by lulu View Post
    It's under "Katia's Kids Class" http://www.kuliksskating.com/for-little-skaters.html

    The second pic. Granted, the pic is really small, but it looks like she's having a great time.
    And she is so small. I thought it was a student at first...

  13. #93
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    7,922
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    228
    To take beginning skating with Katia must be awesome! Her stroke technique is so sound, I'd love to learn her secrets!

  14. #94

    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    29,564
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    41646
    First article with quotes by Kulik and Gordeeva about their new rink: http://web.icenetwork.com/news/artic...&vkey=ice_news
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

  15. #95
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Entitiled
    Posts
    5,615
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    First article with quotes by Kulik and Gordeeva about their new rink: http://web.icenetwork.com/news/artic...&vkey=ice_news
    Thanks Sylvia!

    An answer to the question about the ice rink size:
    In order to make it figure skating only, the facility has a somewhat smaller ice surface. At 80-by-130, it's about two-thirds the size of an NHL rink
    Ah, I just love this quote from Ilia.

    "It's really important how you introduce the first five lessons," he said. "All the beginners who started with us so far said they're absolutely thrilled. We really can't wait to see them develop."

    Coaches and choreographers who are U.S. Figure Skating and PSA members, and who have active liability insurance are welcome to operate at the facility. Freestyle sessions are open to those who meet the aforementioned criteria as well as their students, but it is imperative that they embrace the facility's sense of collaboration and openness.

    "The sport is difficult enough," Kulik said. "Secrets are not the way to go."
    I wanted to just add that I really admire Katia & Ilia's attitude towards Liza's skating, and importance of maintaining a social life & getting an education. Both Katia & Ilia come across as people who take their role as parents very seriously and are able to recognize what's important in life.

    BTW, am I the only person who's surprised there are still professional competitions? Anyway, Good luck to Ilia.
    Last edited by lulu; 09-13-2012 at 08:12 PM.

  16. #96

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Age
    48
    Posts
    17,933
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    33055
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    First article with quotes by Kulik and Gordeeva about their new rink: http://web.icenetwork.com/news/artic...&vkey=ice_news
    Thanks posting the article.

    That is great how much value they place on the first skating experiences. I know for myself from helping out with group lessons and also our ice dance sessions here how important it is to make skaters feel special and enjoy the experience so they keep coming back. It is not only important as getting people into the sport and keeping them, but also as a marketing strategy. You want the customers to be happy.

    I would love to be able to have lessons there.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

  17. #97

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    5,259
    vCash
    289
    Rep Power
    41317
    *catches self looking at Qantas' airfares to California....*

    I especially liked this:

    Kulik said safety is paramount for beginners because one or two bad falls can turn them off the sport before they've even started.
    Yes, yes, YES! I see this so many times at my rink. Ooooh yay, I'm skating - thud. Waaaaaaaaah, that hurt! I don't wanna do this anymore!

    It's also, I find, primarily the biggest block for a lot of adults. I was talking to a couple on the weekend at the competition and the main theme was "I don't know how you do it - I'd be terrified to fall and hurt myself." And it can be really hard because not everyone takes on that mindset - or understands that mindset - of "falling is learning".

  18. #98

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Age
    48
    Posts
    17,933
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    33055
    Quote Originally Posted by misskarne View Post
    It's also, I find, primarily the biggest block for a lot of adults. I was talking to a couple on the weekend at the competition and the main theme was "I don't know how you do it - I'd be terrified to fall and hurt myself." And it can be really hard because not everyone takes on that mindset - or understands that mindset - of "falling is learning".
    With adults it might also be "break a leg and it is six weeks off work".
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

  19. #99

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    5,259
    vCash
    289
    Rep Power
    41317
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Willy View Post
    With adults it might also be "break a leg and it is six weeks off work".
    I certainly got a taste of that when I sprained my shoulder earlier this year - all of a sudden I was stuck answering the phone instead of helping at stocktake. Boss was not pleased but I was suitably repentent.

    While I can understand that mindset/fear...perhaps something needs to be done in terms of adult skaters and addressing this concept that getting seriously injured skating is so easy to do? I've never seen a single broken bone at my rink in the two years I've been skating, and that's every level from Tiny Tot to Senior.

  20. #100
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    7,922
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    228
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Willy View Post
    With adults it might also be "break a leg and it is six weeks off work".
    And if you have young children to take care of at home, having an injury can be a total nightmare.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •