Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

vCash
    Hmm...

Why did they hide the address? LOL!

The "our facility" tab would be a GOOD place to tell the public WHERE your facility is. Just a thought!

And apparently they have classes but no schedule? I guess you could try to weed through that calendar to figure it out, but... not very user friendly

All in all they need help with that webpage if it's going to bring in any $$$

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    The rink address is listed on the Contact page.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    The rink address is listed on the Contact page.
    Yes, I know but they are NOT making it easy for the public to find. It's not suppose to be a game of "hide and seek"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Carolla5501 View Post
    And apparently they have classes but no schedule? I guess you could try to weed through that calendar to figure it out, but... not very user friendly

All in all they need help with that webpage if it's going to bring in any $$$
    Um...did you click the schedule tab? Seemed pretty easy to read to me. Ilia's classes at this time, Katia's at this time, Advanced here, booked ice here.

Yes, I know but they are NOT making it easy for the public to find. It's not suppose to be a game of "hide and seek"
    Don't know about you, but if I'm on a company website and want to know where they are the FIRST place I click is "Contact". *shrugs* Seems logical.

Quote Originally Posted by victoriajh View Post
    Omg I have a dream to have Katia make up a a program for me, at 30$ for 15 min that is roughly what I paid for my last one!!!and I will be insan Diego next march....... I wonder if she would do a *ahem* lowered level adult skater a program?????
    Not they I could do any of the moves!!! Sooooo cool!!!
    They do mention all the levels! I could only dream! Alas, the plane ticket to Cali kinda puts it out of my league...

Quote Originally Posted by LilJen View Post
    There is a vid compiling Ilia's jumps. Almost looks like he could have done a quad axel. Perfect air position.
    He admitted to landing a quad Axel on the floor once.

I really need to get that book out of the library again and scan that page for posterity.

vCash
    I love that jump montage! His landing position was so beautiful!

vCash
    Just watched the welcome video....Liza's gonna be just as tall as her daddy!

And now the jumps video...*sigh* <3 No-one jumps like he does. So soft, so fast, so high. Perfect. (As the commentators say.) And that spreadeagle-3A is always great.

vCash
    Wow For all ages. love this

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by misskarne View Post
    Um...did you click the schedule tab? Seemed pretty easy to read to me. Ilia's classes at this time, Katia's at this time, Advanced here, booked ice here.

Don't know about you, but if I'm on a company website and want to know where they are the FIRST place I click is "Contact". *shrugs* Seems logical.

I clicked on schedule and got... the calendar.
    So how do you know WHEN the adult class is? Howe do you know if the classes run in sessions like at most skating skills? How do you know when the class you want to put YOUR kid in is?

I know where this is. He's going to have to bring in some students from the local area IMHO to make it work and that's VERY possible. But...

Maybe they think that only "professional" wannabe skaters will be enough to support the rink, but thats unlikely IMHO especially with the rink size issue already discussed on here.

I work in the area and might be interested in an adult class. Make it EASY on me to find out if it works with my schedule. Don't say "we like adult skaters" and then say "spend your free time hunting for our class on this calendar" LOL!

Maybe it's becasue I have a background in marketing, but you put the "how to find us to spend money" on page 1 of your web site. You put the "what we sell" in an easy to access format.

I guess if all you want are dedicated full time skaters then you don't have to do that, but considering the area and number of places already competing for "full time" skaters you might need some "part time play skaters" for additional cash flow.

vCash
    I wish them every success with the new rink.
    Any skater would be fortunate to have their coaching/counsel - whatever their level and aspirations.

vCash
    I clicked on schedule and got... the calendar.
    So how do you know WHEN the adult class is? Howe do you know if the classes run in sessions like at most skating skills? How do you know when the class you want to put YOUR kid in is?
    I was confused by this too. It says an on-ice group class is $40. Is that for a single class? Or a session? It is insanely high for one class, but really low for, say, an 8-week course.

Also, WHEN are these classes held?

I like the idea of this facility, but the website isn't fabulous.

vCash
    Cute video - fun to hear Liza's very American accent!
    ITA. It's hard to believe she's 11 already. She looks as much like Ilia as Daria looks like Sergei.

BTW, are there currently any other coaches permanently based at the rink, besides Katia & Ilia? Both Katia and Ilia have such a wealth of skating experience and experience with different coaching styles/systems; the old Soviet system, training in post-Soviet Russia, and everything in the U.S. from recreational ISI style skating to elite level. It would be interesting to see how/if their coaching styles meshes the various aspects of the different systems together.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    I was confused by this too. It says an on-ice group class is $40. Is that for a single class? Or a session? It is insanely high for one class, but really low for, say, an 8-week course.
    I read it as $40 per visit if you're a visitor. If you take a membership, then the price for each visit goes down the more times you visit a week.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sap5 View Post
    I read it as $40 per visit if you're a visitor. If you take a membership, then the price for each visit goes down the more times you visit a week.
    Okay- so you think for a member who takes a group class 6+ times a week the group class is $25 EACH time? That is an insanely expensive group class (and that is the deepest discount), imo. Especially since you ALSO have to pay for the ice ($10).

I also didn't see what the membership fee was.

vCash
    dont forget you have to pay for the name Ilia Kulik. ekaterina Gordeeva

they are former ogm medalist, and going to charge you for that fact which includes the ice, help, zambonie etch

vCash
    ^ every coach/skater/choreographer/skating center is to an extent relying on past records to draw in students/income. that's not unreasonable, is it?

i'm sure if all kulik/gordeeva/any famous former competitor/ had to offer was their name, students would soon wise up and go elsewhere.

i think the world of katia's skating skills and kulik's jumps and charisma, and if katia/ilia can produce students who have even one tenth of her grace, one tenth of his power and oomph, it would make COP programs much more watchable to me.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by misskarne View Post

He admitted to landing a quad Axel on the floor once.

I really need to get that book out of the library again and scan that page for posterity.
    What is the title of the book?

vCash
    Yes, the rink is small, but I heard typical training rinks in Russia are small. Russians often practice jumps in a circle, and they do just fine. There are many NHL size rinks and a few Olympic size rinks in the area, so skaters have no problem practicing their programs. Lake Arrowhead is a training rink, but the ice there is smaller, too.

I've heard from skaters who have been to the Kulik's rink that the ice is the best and the facility is beautiful. Good luck to Ilia and Katya!

vCash
    No, the ice surface size is not a typo.
    80 ft x 130 ft is not terrible. Certainly it's not Olympic or NHL, to be sure, but it's not terrible.
    And the facility looks terrific.

Here in SoCal:

• The Rinks/Yorba Linda Ice is 85 x 184
    • KHS small rink is 85 x 185
    • Ontario Ice Center (old Ontario) is 80 x 165
    • Riverside small rink is 85 x 185

Many skaters that train on the smaller sheets use a "Russian style" or "circular" approach to their jumps, rather than straight line.
    A week or two prior to competition, they may go to the Oly or NHL sheets (Anaheim Ice, Paramount, East/West, Lakewood, Toyota, Center) and run their programs on the larger surface.

I remember the "Las Vegas Arts Academy" with it's "show sheet". That was a small sheet of ice. I don't remember the exact size, but it was something like 40 x 80. It was tiny!
    Last edited by crzesk8dad; 09-05-2012 at 07:40 PM.
    Happy Skating!

Crzesk8dad

vCash
    Does anyone know why the ice surface is so small? Were there constraints in the size of the original warehouse that Ilia acquired?

Also, at what level did Daria stop competing? I remember seeing she had most of her doubles...

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by marysy View Post
    Also, at what level did Daria stop competing? I remember seeing she had most of her doubles...
    Intermediate. I don't know if she ever attempted 2A in competition (ETA: Whether or not a skater masters a 2A often is a determining factor in a skater's decision to continue competing.)
    Last edited by Sylvia; 09-05-2012 at 07:46 PM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast