Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Watch me move
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Frau Muller View Post
    I and many others contributing to this thread are 'on record' having written the word 'alleged' a gazillion times. I don't think that we need to over-allege in every single sentence, overedge. Point taken, nonetheless.
    I see exactly one "alleged" in both of your posts on the TV reports. Sorry, but when talking about cases like this, what is alleged and what is fact needs to be clearly pointed out.
    Who wants to watch rich people eat pizza? They must have loved that in Bangladesh. - Randy Newman on the 2014 Oscars broadcast

vCash
    How can you allege that I did not allege enough? You are alleging incorrectly!
    Dick Button Historical Quote of the Month: "Good for you, Lucinda Ruh!"

Beach Bum
    vCash
    It appears there is a civil suit in Maryland and a criminal investigation in NY:

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...ted-md-also-a/
    I think I will have a snack and take a nap before I eat and go to sleep.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    It appears there is a civil suit in Maryland and a criminal investigation in NY:

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...ted-md-also-a/
    It is only alleged. Don't forget that. Anyway, the article mentions it plenty:

The lawsuit filed in July in Prince George’s County, Md., alleges Genrikh Sretenski (GURN’-rick sray-TEN’-ski) kissed the girl and touched her breasts in July 2011 in a hotel room. It also alleges he sent her more than 500 text messages. The lawsuit, filed by the girl’s father, says the girl has ended her skating career because of what happened. As a result, it seeks $5 million in damages.

Wow. Poor girl, if it is true. So the civil suit had been brewing even earlier.

Beach Bum
    vCash
    The article says the lawsuit was actually filed; it is not alleged that the lawsuit was filed. The claims/charges are alleged.
    I think I will have a snack and take a nap before I eat and go to sleep.

vCash
    It is only alleged. Don't forget that. Anyway, the article mentions it plenty:

It also alleges he sent her more than 500 text messages.
    Alleged 500 text messages from a 50 year old coach to his 16 year old student regardless of content is a bit strange.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cocomo View Post
    Alleged 500 text messages from a 50 year old coach to his 16 year old student regardless of content is a bit strange.
    Right! But we all have to say 'alleged' or be sued. It's like Nancy Grace on TV, biting her lips every time that she has to remind everyone that the crimes said to have been committed by the usual subjects of her TV show are just alleged. (Of course, Nancy will be gloating on tonight's show, now that ex-cop Drew Peterson has been found guilty of murder of wife #3...but that's another story..back to our subject.)

vCash
    Skating making the kind of headlines that go beyond the sports page. Gee. Great.

Watch me move
    vCash
    Right! But we all have to say 'alleged' or be sued.
    I somehow doubt you would think this was so funny if you were charged with a crime, and there were damaging allegations about you being circulated.
    Who wants to watch rich people eat pizza? They must have loved that in Bangladesh. - Randy Newman on the 2014 Oscars broadcast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cocomo View Post
    Maybe the text messages were like "Practice your field moves", "Do 6 camel spins", etc.

I wonder how the girl's parents arrived at the $5 million in damage value?

vCash
    I was going to stay out of this ALLEGED charge, but, I must say, that $500 million in damages makes me think this all about money.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by orbitz View Post
    Maybe the text messages were like "Practice your field moves", "Do 6 camel spins", etc.

I wonder how the girl's parents arrived at the $5 million in damage value?
    Quote Originally Posted by Latte View Post
    I was going to stay out of this ALLEGED charge, but, I must say, that $500 million in damages makes me think this all about money.
    Wow, that is some jump between the posts. Yes, 5 million is a lot of money.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Asli View Post
    As for text messages being innocent, if there are indeed 500 of them, even if a few are ambiguous, hopefully the whole 500 together will give a correct picture.
    The text message thing made me think of an episode of Veronica Mars entitled Mars vs. Mars. In it, a teacher is accused of sexually harassing a student, complete with text messages. In court, Veronica demonstrated how easy it was to steal or borrow a phone, send a quick text, and then return the phone, casting doubt on whether or not it was the teacher who sent the texts.

Disclaimer - I'm not saying this happened here, just that mention of texts in this lawsuit made me think of Mars vs. Mars.

vCash
    In the legal world, one says "alleged victim (AV)", not accuser. That is my only gripe.

Drawing Figures
    vCash
    Is he still teaching at the rinks or have his teaching privileges been suspended pending the outcome of the charges & an investigation? There could be some serious liability issues, considering the circumstances, if management & club leaders permit him to continue to teach while the charges are pending & anything else happened.

vCash
    ^ all the articles listed say he was arrested and being held for extradition to ny, which was suppose to happen yesterday.

GPF Barcelona here I come
    NYC, New Mexico, Azores, Cape Cod then Barcelona :)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pollyanna View Post
    The text message thing made me think of an episode of Veronica Mars entitled Mars vs. Mars. In it, a teacher is accused of sexually harassing a student, complete with text messages. In court, Veronica demonstrated how easy it was to steal or borrow a phone, send a quick text, and then return the phone, casting doubt on whether or not it was the teacher who sent the texts.

Disclaimer - I'm not saying this happened here, just that mention of texts in this lawsuit made me think of Mars vs. Mars.
    500 times.. that's a lot of borrowed/stolen phones
    Thanks to PI .. I discovered I'm actually a Nontheist

"Love is better than Anger, Hope is better than fear" Jack Layton 1950-2011

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 4rkidz View Post
    500 times.. that's a lot of borrowed/stolen phones
    I repeat, I'm not saying this happened here, just that mention of texts in this lawsuit made me think of Mars vs. Mars.

vCash
    Story was just on the news. He was denied bail today. It was mentioned that another hearing is scheduled for Monday - I assume that is for extradition to NY.

They did a close-up of the charging document, zooming in on the words "kissed" and "no" (attributed to the alleged victim). His lawyer was interviewed and said they have not yet been given info on the charges. She noted that he was arrested Tuesday morning at home "in front of his young child." Regardless of who's telling the truth/guilty/innocent, let's keep his wife and children in our thoughts - this must be a nightmare for them.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by triple_toe View Post
    Iceymom's kid probably works or has worked with Sretenski in the past. I've no doubt that Iceymom is speaking the truth when she says neither she, nor anyone she knows of, has experienced anything untoward from Sretenski. So when allegations like this come about it's only natural that she would want to jump to his defence. Yes, she wasn't present at the actual incident[B] but if she knows him well enough to think[/B mine] he wouldn't do something like this she should be able to say so. She's probably stressed about this and angry at the allegations so I think she isn't expressing herself as calmly as she could, which is perfectly natural. Not right but understandable.

All I want to say is that if someone I knew personally was accused of something like this and I was convinced they were innocent, I might not be able to express myself with grace either. This is a really touchy subject (no pun intended ) and it's easy for both sides to get heated.

I for one am glad that Iceymom has come forward as something of a character witness defending Sretenski here. It can't be easy.
    It would be one thing if Iceymom had said she was shocked and found the allegations hard to believe because". . . It's quite another to be presenting opinion as fact on the internet, including judging the accuser and revealing the accuser's gender. And should she or anyone actually have insider knowledge of the case, it is obvious that it shouldn't be revealed on the internet. Especially given that she or someone else could be called as a witness.

And assuming that Iceymom does know him as the coach of her child and as a member of the rink's ice dance community, does this mean she knows him well enough to pass judgment on his innocence versus guilt? Also, she did not say think as you did - she said know.

I think not. And knowing others who believe he must be innocent as well is rather irrelevant to the case. I'm not passing judgment on this case, but innumerable people charged with or guilty of sexual assault have a group of people who can't believe they would do it. People who commit sexual assault are often ostensibly decent folk and not sleazeballs.
    Last edited by Japanfan; 09-07-2012 at 08:08 AM.

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast