Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by tralfamadorian View Post
    For all we know, which is hardly more than nothing, this may or may not have been a consensual thing, and in that case it may be unethical, but not illegal and certainly not criminal.
    If she's under the age of consent then it's criminal. Whether you like it or not, whether consent was involved or not. End of story.

vCash
    I thought age of consent was 16 in the US, isn't it?
    Don't you find it worrying that doctors call treating you their "practice" ?

Drawing Figures
    vCash
    It would vary state to state.

vCash
    Ok so I checked it's 16 in MD and 17 in NY.
    Don't you find it worrying that doctors call treating you their "practice" ?

vCash
    Wait, so if age of consent is 16, then maybe there is not so much of a problem here? A ruined reputation, yes. . . . But, tralfamadorian is right. . . we need to know what is in the sealed charges to understand the extent of all this. I probably spoke to quickly before. It will be hard for Sretenski to recover again in terms of his coaching career; but, from a legal standpoint, this is certainly fightable.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by twizzletoes76 View Post
    Wait, so if age of consent is 16, then maybe there is not so much of a problem here? A ruined reputation, yes. . . . But, tralfamadorian is right. . . we need to know what is in the sealed charges to understand the extent of all this. I probably spoke to quickly before. It will be hard for Sretenski to recover again in terms of his coaching career; but, from a legal standpoint, this is certainly fightable.
    The alleged incident in the hotel room happened in Lake Placid, which is why he's being asked to turn himself into New York authorities, not Maryland authorities, and the alleged victim and/or her family reported him to the authorities and are filing a suit then I think that would imply it wasn't consensual. If it wasn't consensual then it would be a crime regardless of the age of consent. So yes, it could be quite a problem for him.

vCash
    Twelve hours to go. Hopefully he'll make it up to NY today, if he's not already there.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by twizzletoes76 View Post
    It will be hard for Sretenski to recover again in terms of his coaching career; but, from a legal standpoint, this is certainly fightable.
    I feel the opposite. He was accused a year ago of doing terrible things that would make him negligent in his job, yet his boss kept him on, and his clients all kept him on teaching their kids. Even now that it's all blown up they are coming out of the woodwork to defend him (and thus themselves) and famous skating legends back in Russia are doing press fluff about how it's all just overreaction by silly Americans. If he gets off, he's just one plane ride away from job security with the Russian federation.

But the fact that they made him put up his house as collateral shows that the charges against him are pretty serious and may be hard to shake. After all, so far niether he nor his defenders have denied a single charge, they just deny that any of it was "wrong".

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by berthesghost View Post
    I feel the opposite. He was accused a year ago of doing terrible things that would make him negligent in his job, yet his boss kept him on, and his clients all kept him on teaching their kids. Even now that it's all blown up they are coming out of the woodwork to defend him (and thus themselves) and famous skating legends back in Russia are doing press fluff about how it's all just overreaction by silly Americans. If he gets off, he's just one plane ride away from job security with the Russian federation.
    Since the arrest happened a year after the alleged incident, is it certain that his boss and the rink knew of the allegations? Genrich's arrest may have completely come as a shock to everyone at the rink.

I agree that he can easily be accepted back in Russia if he escapes the charges. I would think that he'll get some kind of ban from USFS/PSA even if he's found not guilty. Going back to Russia might be his best bet.

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Twizzler View Post
    I would think that he'll get some kind of ban from USFS/PSA even if he's found not guilty.
    I'd be very surprised if they did that. They haven't done stuff like that in the past.

I also would be surprised if sending tons of text messages to a student and fondling them against their will was really acceptable behavior in Russia. Maybe it wouldn't be illegal there but I would think that people would still be tsk-tsking about it and that there might be assignments that wouldn't be given and other political fallout.
    "Cupcakes are bullshit. And everyone knows it. A cupcake is just a muffin with clown puke topping." -Charlie Brooker

vCash
    Latest news:
    http://articles.baltimoresun.com/201...aters-ice-rink

Genrikh is in NY and the arraignment just began (11AM local time).

From the article -
    Whether the criminal charges and civil case are about the same alleged incident is unknown. The indictment will not be unsealed until Sretenski is arraigned.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by tralfamadorian View Post
    I thought age of consent was 16 in the US, isn't it?
    In some states there are different ages based on the adult's relationship to a child. For example, if the adult is just a neighbor of the child, the age of consent is 16. If the adult has some type of authority over the child--such as a coach, teacher or minister--the age of consent may be 18.

I think the best rule of thumb is, if you have to check your state's laws to find out if the shag is legal, she's too young for you.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MacMadame View Post
    I'd be very surprised if they did that. They haven't done stuff like that in the past.
    ?? The Mero's, Bob Young, an official recently got a ban (drawing a blank on the name), and there was a free skating coach who I believe was banned back in early 2000's (not 100% sure so I don't want to post their name). There is precedent.

If the text messages allude to some sort of "affair" as some have posted, that is enough to warrant some kind of action from PSA.

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Frau Muller View Post
    From the article -
    [I]Whether the criminal charges and civil case are about the same alleged incident is unknown.
    Is there really any indication that they'd be different?
    "Cupcakes are bullshit. And everyone knows it. A cupcake is just a muffin with clown puke topping." -Charlie Brooker

vCash
    I think it's logistics/geography. He allegedly fondled her in ny. He allegedly stalked her in md resulting in her ending her career.

From what's been published, I gather that she quit back in aug '11, so the club might have know at least the accusations.

vCash
    Earlier, some of the posters from the Gardens Arena area had hinted at that. I guess that we will soon find out, as details of the alleged NY incident will be revealed after the arraignment.

Failing her snatch
    vCash
    Right, next post that's deemed unsuitable will result in this thread being closed and possible permanent banning of the user/s involved. Please be mindful of this.
    Dont Hate! Gyrate!

vCash
    In Maryland:

An exception to the age of consent is that if a person in a "position of authority" (full-time, permanent employee) engages in any sexual contact with any minor under age 18 or victim specified above, that constitutes a sexual offense in the fourth degree.
    So it is illegal regardless.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by OliviaPug View Post
    And this is relevant how? Rhetorical question. PLEASE don't respond!

As a highschool freshman, my geometry teacher hit on me. When I would go to his desk to retrieve my quizzes and tests, he'd have notes written to show me. He'd comment on my appearance in the hallway. He even tracked me down in the hallway and handed me a folded up paper, which turned out to be a map to his house! He then asked me to meet him there. I was 15. He was probably in his late 30s. It was a horrible experience. I never told anyone except my best friend and my older brother. I was terrified my grades would be affected or worse. But I was a tough 15 year old. His creepy teacher friend came up to me in study hall to ask me about the sleaze teacher, and I told the creepy teacher if the sleaze ever made any more comments or suggestions, I would tell his wife. I still can't believe I said that, but everything stopped right there.

I had nothing to do with this teacher's behavior. He was a sleaze. Period.

Anyone in a position of authority that acts inappropriately toward a student or otherwise is WRONG. 100% WRONG. There is absolutely no reason to examine or even comment on the minor's behavior. PERIOD. To think otherwise is absolutely wrong and warped.

O-
    I never said it was right. I was just pointing out that there ARE 16 year old girls who want to get with much older men. I seriously doubt that is the case here, and it doesn't seem to happen much, but it does happen.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by heckles View Post
    I think the best rule of thumb is, if you have to check your state's laws to find out if the shag is legal, she's too young for you.

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast