Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

vCash
    This might be a really stupid question, but what would happen if he did not turn himself in to New York authorities within 72 hours?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Artistic Skaters View Post
    Not to take away from the seriousness of the topic, but I would love to see the breakdown of the ridiculous $5 million coaching bill that's been mentioned several times now.
    Come again?

That's what the plaintiff is asking for in her suit. It isn't a "coaching bill." Since it is most likely primarily for emotional distress and not doctors' bills, etc., it's probably just a figure her lawyers put in the pleadings. It doesn't mean all that much.

Quote Originally Posted by RFOS View Post
    This might be a really stupid question, but what would happen if he did not turn himself in to New York authorities within 72 hours?
    He would probably be cited for contempt, maybe jailed in Maryland, and possibly handed over to New York authorities. Nice alternative, huh?

Drawing Figures
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by _Lola_ View Post
    In this particular case, it is also not only a teenager who is involved, but also her father with $5-million bill to Sretenski. I am from non-American context, maybe it is normal for the US but this $5-million bill gives me thoughts about this case that would not be appreciated in this thread.
    Did I read too literally?

???? Bill or Lawsuit ???

I guess I read these & similar comments as a lawsuit was filed with untrue charges & one of the reasons is because the father or parents or skater has an enormous skating bill with Sretenski.

ETA: Okay, I read back over the comments & I apparently misinterpreted them due to the ESL issue & they were talking about the lawsuit even though it's referred to as a bill. My apologies.
    Last edited by Artistic Skaters; 09-10-2012 at 10:50 PM.

vCash
    In addition to what Vagabond just said, Genrikh would also lose his beautiful home, as the reports stated that his home is collateral for his bail.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    He would probably be cited for contempt, maybe jailed in Maryland, and possibly handed over to New York authorities. Nice alternative, huh?
    Not particularly, no, but if the Maryland police would hand him over to the New York authorities if he doesn't surrender within 3 days then wouldn't that essentially be the same thing as extradition?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by valyrian View Post
    USFSA did not take any action against him even with a serious complaint on file?
    You are assuming that USFS gives a damn about their skaters.............

vCash
    Not particularly, no, but if the Maryland police would hand him over to the New York authorities if he doesn't surrender within 3 days then wouldn't that essentially be the same thing as extradition?
    I was wondering the same thing. It does give him 3 days to get his affairs in order (no pun intended). But when he gets to New York, does he go to jail there, or does he just check into a hotel (whoops...!)

vCash
    Something is not entirely clear to me, is the police investigation in NY over and are the charges final or is this still an ongoing investigation?

Also some of the early articles made it sound as if he was some kind of fugitive and tried to escape from NY when on second reading it rather seems like he was just in his home as usual and the police came to arrest him? I'm just wondering because of he has 72 hours to turn himself in now, why didn't he have that before? (or did he have 72 hours and not show up?) Is this the normal procedure?
    Don't you find it worrying that doctors call treating you their "practice" ?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by tralfamadorian View Post
    Something is not entirely clear to me, is the police investigation in NY over and are the charges final or is this still an ongoing investigation?

Also some of the early articles made it sound as if he was some kind of fugitive and tried to escape from NY when on second reading it rather seems like he was just in his home as usual and the police came to arrest him? I'm just wondering because of he has 72 hours to turn himself in now, why didn't he have that before? (or did he have 72 hours and not show up?) Is this the normal procedure?
    From what I understand, because the alleged incident happened a year ago in Lake Placid, the charges are for NY and therefore have to be handled there. As far as I can tell, he was just at home as usual in Maryland and was arrested there, but have to be handed over to NY authorities (hence the move for extradition) for the investigation to proceed.

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Artistic Skaters View Post
    Sometimes it is not only about the money.
    I don't think it's necessarily about the money here. The legal system in the US is kind of counter-intuitive at times particularly when it comes to civil suits. I was once sued for over a million dollars (along with my insurance company and Hertz). I freaked out a bit but the lawyer for Hertz said that was pretty standard and the actual settlement would be much lower (and it was). It's common here to ask for a lot to get what you deserve. It's kind of like the doctor billing $1000 for some minor medical procedure and getting $100 from the insurance company. They do that because if they bill $100, they'd get $10. Stupid IMO but it's how the system is set up.

In this case 5 million is some maximum that PSA would pay out through their insurance so it makes sense to ask for that. I think the actual settlement, if any, would be much lower and I am speculating that the civil lawsuit was filed to get publicity for the incident because the police were taking so long to file charges and the PSA and USFS did nothing and this is a way to get parents of teenage girls to be on their guard against Sretenski. I could be wrong about this but I could seem myself doing that if it was my kid and I was worried about other kids.

Yes, but there was some technicality with the extradition papers that made them not valid. I guess someone filed something wrong.
    Actual bumper sticker series: Jesus is my co-pilot. Satan is my financial advisor. Budha is my therapist. L. Ron Hubbard owes me $50.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MacMadame View Post
    In this case 5 million is some maximum that PSA would pay out through their insurance so it makes sense to ask for that. I think the actual settlement, if any, would be much lower and I am speculating that the civil lawsuit was filed to get publicity for the incident because the police were taking so long to file charges and the PSA and USFS did nothing and this is a way to get parents of teenage girls to be on their guard against Sretenski. I could be wrong about this but I could seem myself doing that if it was my kid and I was worried about other kids.
    I don't know. It looks like the complaint was filed in July and hasn't even been served, which is very weird. Sretenski shouldn't have been hard to find as they know where he works. Also, most lawyers will accept service of legal documents on behalf of their client, and there is apparently also a CPS proceeding. Filing a lawsuit and then doing nothing won't get publicity for the incident, obviously no one knew anything about it until Sretenski was arrested. There might be a strategic reason, I've just never filed a case and then not bothered to serve the defendant. But then, I'm a small town New Mexico lawyer, not a fancy Washington DC lawyer.

I'm hopeful that the facts, whatever they may be, come out. But I think most criminal defense attorneys would agree that sexual assault trials are the absolute hardest to win.

Beach Bum
    vCash
    Interesting that it was not served. I am a DC/MD lawyer, but not generally a litigator, and I don't know why you'd file a case and not serve it as long as you knew where the person was located -- if you file because the statute of limitations is expiring, and you don't even try to serve, it won't help you. In this case, I think the statute of limitations would be tolled till the minor turned 18 anyway. Lawyers have faxed me draft (unfiled) complaints that they would file against my client if my client did not resolve the issue outside litigation in a manner that was satisfactory to their clients (maybe in this case, "stop texting my daughter or else"???). Sometimes that is enough of an attention getter without actually filing.
    I think I will have a snack and take a nap before I eat and go to sleep.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by laurenannie View Post
    I don't know. It looks like the complaint was filed in July and hasn't even been served, which is very weird. Sretenski shouldn't have been hard to find as they know where he works. Also, most lawyers will accept service of legal documents on behalf of their client, and there is apparently also a CPS proceeding. Filing a lawsuit and then doing nothing won't get publicity for the incident, obviously no one knew anything about it until Sretenski was arrested. There might be a strategic reason, I've just never filed a case and then not bothered to serve the defendant. But then, I'm a small town New Mexico lawyer, not a fancy Washington DC lawyer.

I'm hopeful that the facts, whatever they may be, come out. But I think most criminal defense attorneys would agree that sexual assault trials are the absolute hardest to win.
    That's interesting. I know nothing about this sort of stuff.

He allegedly abused her in July/aug of last year and apparently an entire year went by where nobody in either state seemed to do anything. A year later and her career is over and he's still teaching.

Then her dad files a law suit and suddenly within weeks he's arrested and the few details we do know are all over the papers and all from the suit.

Hmmm...

vCash
    All torts have a "statute of limitations", which is a time limit in which a lawsuit must be filed, or it will be forever barred. The suit may have been filed so that the right to sue is not lost. In such cases, the civil suit is usually stayed pending the outcome of the criminal matter because the defendant's Fifth Amendment rights means that he cannot be compelled to respond to discovery in the civil action (since the responses could be used against him in a ciminal trial).

Drawing Figures
    vCash
    The civil charges are also against the rink & Mid Atlantic Ice Dance College (not to be confused with Mid Atlantic Skating School), according to the news article in the Baltimore Sun. So it does not sound like everything in question happened in NY, & they are claiming something of significance also happened in MD.

vCash
    I don't think that this update, since the Monday bail hearing, has been posted:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/48974468...oach-released/

Genrikh DID leave the Maryland jail on Tuesday evening. The countdown is on for him to turn himself in to NY authorities. Deadline is tomorrow (Friday) evening...exactly 72 hrs after his Tuesday-evening release from the jail in Maryland.

vCash
    I sincerely hope he turns himself in. This has to be a nightmare for himself and his lovely wife, Julia; however, it is not getting to get any easier. Genrikh needs to face the charges and be honest to the best of his ability. I can not imagine, given what has been alleged as charges, that he will be able to get out of this without penalty. But, it does not sound like he forcibly attacked the girl in question in any way. It just "sounds" (again, based on the charges) that he made some very unethical advances toward her. Part of the problem I have to wonder comes from a certain culture clash. I have seen Genrikh before and he really is far more Russian than American. If the charges are correct, that he invited the girl to his hotel and tried "to start things up with her"; well, that is clearly wrong and, given the girl's age, against the law. Punishments are severe as we can see. But I doubt the same sort of conduct would have the same sort of repercussion in Russia, or, even other parts of Europe. And, my guess is that Genrikh did not really make the connection on how wrongly US law enforcement would see such conduct. Now, I want to make it clear: I am not trying to excuse such behavior. Any attempt, particularly an attempt made by an educator or authority figure, to initiate sex on someone of an adolescent age is not acceptable. But, I can sort of see how Genrikh might not have thought so much about the distinction between say a 16 year old girl and an 18 yr old one (as I believe 18 is a legal age in MD). Attempts such as he made with say an 18 yr old girl, who was a still student, would still be extremely wrong for a number of reasons. But I don't think in Russia a married coach trying to have sex with say a precocious adolescent skating student would have been that much of a problem. If word got idea, people might say said coach is a swine or a pig but I don't think said coach would have landed in jail unless some forced encounter really occurred. Sorry, for lengthy discourse on this but I really think Genrikh is at odds on many ways with American culture: I doubt he will get out of this easily and I would expect some jail time. But his best defense, as I said at the start is going to be to turn himself. He needs to face the charges and be honest about the occurrences to the best of his ability, otherwise, the jury, or whoever is arbitrating, might think there is more behind this than there is.

vCash
    It does seem to be a bit of a "tradition" for Russian coaches to date their students, under age or not.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwgrant View Post
    First, Icymom is correct when she talks about Genrikh. His reputation as a premier coach and incredibly skilled choreographer are stellar. I can tell you without a doubt after talking to the accusers family that they were completely blindsided and shocked when they found out that this had happened. .

And this proves..

That we have the DEFENDERS at all costs. (See Penn State for the final outcome on that... after all Mr. Sandusky had a stellar reputation too")

There's way to much "DEFEND at all cost" between this poster and Icymom for me to trust it. The truth is in the middle somewhere, but if you are unwilling to even consider that someone may have done something wrong then... you can't be objective either.

vCash
    Isn't it a just waaaay too early to tell him to just accept his supposed jailtime when we basically don't even have the slightest clue about what happened?

For all we know, which is hardly more than nothing, this may or may not have been a consensual thing, and in that case it may be unethical, but not illegal and certainly not criminal. And yes I know people are again going to roll their eyes at the suggestion, but stranger things have happened. I'm not saying that is definitely what happened, because I also don't know, but at this point that is one of the possibilities and giving people the benefit of doubt should go both ways.

What the media reported so far came mostly from the civil lawsuit, which is just (part of) one side of the story, and it's way too early to jump to conclusions based on just that. (or that fact that he's Russian, or that she's 16, etc etc)
    Don't you find it worrying that doctors call treating you their "practice" ?

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast