Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

vCash

Genrich Sretenski Arrested!

Md. figure skating coach arrested on NY charges

Sretenski faces extradition hearing in Maryland court Wednesday for likely return to New York State.
    There is nothing more captivating in this world than a woman's form gracing the ice in skating boots. It's simply sensational!

vCash
    Updated version of the Associated Press article: http://www.uticaod.com/news/x6996614...coach-arrested
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    I mentioned this before but IMO he was one of the most elegant male skaters ever, and I love Annenko/Sretenski. I hope this isn't anything serious

Title-less
    vCash
    None of the links work for me

eta: now it works
    Last edited by jlai; 09-05-2012 at 03:35 AM.

vCash
    Whatever it is concerns a complaint that someone made In September 2011 in Lake Placid. Police aren't releasing details. There is a brief article in the Washington Post. Apparently he is being held in Howard County.

vCash
    This is going to turn ugly. Isn't it?

vCash
    There was a small feature on this developing story in the Washington, DC local NBC morning news show. Sretensky was arrested in the DC area (Maryland) last night based on an alleged incident in Lake Placid "last year in Sept" (no specific date or event cited...there was a JrGP in Lake Placid in Sept 2009 but 2011???). According to his lawyer, Renne Sandler, interviewed exclusively by the NBC4 station:

"There is a forcible-touching charge, a 1st-degree sexual asault charge and a 3rd-degree sexual assault charge...all of which we will fight..."

Sretensky's wife Yulia was also interviewed, adamantly denying the charges. I DVD'ed the 1-minute piece but don't know how to upload it, sorry.

Both 1st and 3rd-degree sexual assault charges are felonies (not misdemeanors) in most jurisdictions.

No update yet on Sretenski's Wikipedia entry. As everyone on FSU likely knows, he and partner Natalia Annenko were 4th-place finishers in Calgary '88, won Skate Canada twice and were 3rd at '89 Euros before retiring from amateur skating. More importantly, they were exquisite pro skaters with Stars on Ice for 4 seasons. They won the World Pro/Landover at least once, if memory serves...Dec '92, beating TWO Olympic-champion couples, Klimova/Ponomarenko and Besti/Bukin! Simply magnificent skaters. As coaches in the Gardens FSC in Maryland, the Sretenskis used to coach current USFSA Jr National Ice Dance silver medalist Travis Mager before he moved to the Linichuk/Karponosov camp in Delaware (Bonacorsi/Mager team dissolved this April): http://web.icenetwork.com/skaters/de...d=39421&mode=P

So sad to hear about these charges against Sretensky.

Link to NBC4 news story, mentioning interviews with lawyer & wife: http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/lo...168647026.html
    Last edited by Frau Muller; 09-05-2012 at 08:52 PM. Reason: edited to add link to NBC4 news story

Banned Member
    vCash
    Unfortunately, there are many twists and turns to this story, and the veracity, sexual activity with others and mental health status of the accuser will certainly be a very large issues. Sretenski has been coaching for years, and not one other student has come forward with allegations, to the contrary everyone including past and present students are providing and have been providing for the past year, their good wishes and support to him, which signals that this accuser has other motivations. The accuser will not be unscathed in all of this, and I am sure as in most cases, she does not realize what she has done to herself.

Loving on babies!
    vCash
    "The accuser" is never unscathed in any sexual abuse/exploitation scandal; even when "the accuser" is the one telling the truth. It's obvious who's side you are on in the matter, but since it has just barely been made public what the charges even are, perhaps everyone not involved (i.e., everyone on this board passing judgements) should await further information before making up their minds on guilt and innocence in the situation; not that it's even our business.
    I am free of all prejudices. I hate everyone equally.~W. C. Fields

Banned Member
    vCash
    There are some clear facts here that the public should know, none of his past or current students have made allegations against him and truly support him and have been supporting him since the accuser came forward last year, with the exception of his accuser, who has her own issues to worry about that will be revealed in time.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceymom View Post
    There are some clear facts here that the public should know, none of his past or current students have made allegations against him and truly support him and have been supporting him since the accuser came forward last year, with the exception of his accuser, who has her own issues to worry about that will be revealed in time.
    More clear facts, 5 of your 12 posts have been about Sretenski. It is obvious you have a vested interest in what is said and/or posted about him.

You coming on this board and questioning the "veracity, sexual activity and mental health" of the accuser isn't going to make Sretenski look any better in this case. On the contrary, it does the exact opposite. Let this play out in the courts and the truth will eventually come out.

JMO

Left in the Kiss-n-Cry
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Frau Muller View Post
    There was a small feature on this developing story in the Washington, DC local NBC morning news show. Sretensky was arrested in the DC area (Maryland) last night based on an alleged incident in Lake Placid "last year in Sept" (no specific date or event cited...there was a JrGP in Lake Placid in Sept 2009 but 2011???). According to his lawyer, Renne Sandler, interviewed exclusively by the NBC4 station:
    You are correct, there was not a JGP event in Lake Placid in 2011.

Quote Originally Posted by iceymom
    As someone who was the victim of a predator, I can assure you that just because "others" think a predator is a swell person doesn't mean it is so.
    I meant to take the high road.... but I missed the exit.

Loving on babies!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by peibeck View Post

As someone who was the victim of a predator, I can assure you that just because "others" think the predator is a swell person doesn't mean it is so.
    Exactly. I have no idea what happened, who is innocent, who is guilty, what is true and what is not. But someone coming here obviously biased and trying to convince people of "the truth" in the situation, is not going to influence me in his favor.
    Last edited by Kasey; 09-05-2012 at 06:09 PM.
    I am free of all prejudices. I hate everyone equally.~W. C. Fields

Banned Member
    vCash
    Facts are fact, no matter how hard you try to under play them. His current and past students have not raised allegations. Usually in these cases one accuser if followed by more-not the case here. The accuser is known to many.
    And yes, the truth will come out.

vCash
    Facts are fact, no matter how hard you try to under play them. His current and past students have not raised allegations. Usually in these cases one accuser if followed by more-not the case here. The accuser is known to many.
    Then why don't you wait until it does, and lay off the insinuations in the meantime.
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

AYS's snark-sponge
    vCash
    As far as most of us are concerned, there are no available facts at all. We're not insiders and there's nothing for us to even have an opinion about.

Except your posts. And you aren't making people sympathetic to your point of view.

In fairness to all involved, there's really nothing to be said at this time about this. There simply isn't any public information.
    Congratulations 2014 World Ice Dance Champions Anna Cappellini & Luca Lanotte!!!

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    Facts are fact,
    Actually, what you are posting is hearsay.
    Actual bumper sticker series: Jesus is my co-pilot. Satan is my financial advisor. Budha is my therapist. L. Ron Hubbard owes me $50.

vCash
    Innocent until proven guilty- that's how I treat this right now.

I loved Annenko & Sretenski. I hope he did not do anything wrong, but if he did, let the courts determine that.

Banned Member
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MacMadame View Post
    Actually, what you are posting is hearsay.
    NOT HEARSAY, FACT! Personal knowledge.

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    NOT HEARSAY, FACT! Personal knowledge.
    Until you identify yourself and say how you know this then this is hearsay. Most posters here have a history, you don't. No reason to believe you without proof.
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast