• Torvill and Dean (1994)

48 48.48%
  • Usova and Zhulin (1992)

26 26.26%
  • Other (pre-1992)

1 1.01%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Best Bronze medal performance by a dance team in the Olympics?

I'm kind of copying whoever made the same kind of thread for ladies' and mens'.

vCash
    Torvill & Dean for sure.. Anissina & Peizerat probably if we only judge FDs.

The last 3 bronze medallists have been disastrous ..

vCash
    T&D.
    "I hit him with my shoes... if he had given me the medal like I told him to, I wouldn't have had to hit him!" -- 8-year-old Rhoda Penmark in "The Bad Seed"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SamuraiK View Post

The last 3 bronze medallists have been disastrous ..
    That they have!!

vCash
    Torville and Dean are so good and I have watched their performances just for enjoyment like I have with Domnina and Shabalins Compulsary dance. That was so good. It was great and nailed with all their charisma and skating skill so on display and it was the best!!!

vCash
    I would pick Usova & Zhulin 1992. They managed to beat T&D in 94 with a way way worse FD and performance than their 92 bronze one. Their 92 FD would have easily won in 1994. A&P in 98 are also a possability but there was too much posing for me.

vCash
    I had to pick between A&P in 98 and U&Z in 92. I picked U&Z who should have won the silver with that performance. A&P were a refreshingly new ice dance team, and I love their Romeo & Juliet FD, but they were still raw. U&Z were almost a finished product, and their Four seasons FD is one of my most favorite FDs of all times. I loved the lines and emotion in their skate.

vCash
    Grushina & Goncharov.

Noooo, just a joke. My vote goes to Anissina & Peizerat, because I still love their R&J FD.

vCash
    T+D wuz robbed 94

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by briancoogaert View Post
    Grushina & Goncharov.

Noooo, just a joke. My vote goes to Anissina & Peizerat, because I still love their R&J FD.
    A/P for me I love R omeo/Juliet
    As for G/G zzzzzzzz how they won an olympic bronze and Delshoes /Denstas never did .Their OD was ok though

vCash
    The last 3 are so much weaker than the 3 prior to that it isnt even funny. Is that a sign the dance field is getting weaker, the judging is getting worse, or the rules are making really memorable free dances harder.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    The last 3 are so much weaker than the 3 prior to that it isnt even funny. Is that a sign the dance field is getting weaker, the judging is getting worse, or the rules are making really memorable free dances harder.
    I think 02, 06, and '10 were all because of bad judging.. '02 SHOULD have been Drobiazko/Vanagas or Bourne/Kraatz, '06 SHOULD have been Denkova/Staviyski, and '10 SHOULD have been Belbin/Agosto. It's kind of ironic because COP was supposed to help the right team win instead of the politically right team, but it seems like the choices were better for this before COP!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blue_idealist View Post
    I think 02, 06, and '10 were all because of bad judging.. '02 SHOULD have been Drobiazko/Vanagas or Bourne/Kraatz, '06 SHOULD have been Denkova/Staviyski, and '10 SHOULD have been Belbin/Agosto. It's kind of ironic because COP was supposed to help the right team win instead of the politically right team, but it seems like the choices were better for this before COP!
    But the 1994 Bronze medalists are considered so superior to the gold medalists! So it was bad judging that put T/D in third and the 02 or 06 or 2010 bronze medalist may be on the same standard as the 1994 gold medalists. Maybe G/P aren't considered that bad by this forum but maybe they are and the 1994 and 1998 gold medalists aren't seen as being in the same level as the 02,06,10 bronze medalists.

vCash
    So it was bad judging that put T/D in third and the 02 or 06 or 2010 bronze medalist may be on the same standard as the 1994 gold medalists

Umm just no, no, no, NO, to the bolded part. Regardless of whether or not G/P deserved their 94 they still were light years superior to the 02, 06, or 2010 bronze medalists (or even the arguably would be bronze medalists who were 4th and 5th those years). So in the event they deserved only 3rd in 94 as some have argued, that would only show again the 94 event was far stronger, this despite that the 94 event was much weaker than 84, 88, 92, and maybe 98. Which still makes one wonder about the caliber of ice dance in the last decade.

vCash
    So it was bad judging that put T/D in third and the 02 or 06 or 2010 bronze medalist may be on the same standard as the 1994 gold medalists

Umm just no, no, no, NO, to the bolded part. Regardless of whether or not G/P deserved their 94 they still were light years superior to the 02, 06, or 2010 bronze medalists (or even the arguably would be bronze medalists who were 4th and 5th those years). So in the event they deserved only 3rd in 94 as some have argued, that would only show again the 94 event was far stronger, this despite that the 94 event was much weaker than 84, 88, 92, and maybe 98. Which still makes one wonder about the caliber of ice dance in the last decade.
    Yeah.. Grishuk/Platov were/are always better than Domnina/Shabalin, Grushina/Goncharov and Fusar-Poli/Margaglio.. lol. Are they better than T/D? IMO, no.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blue_idealist View Post
    Yeah.. Grishuk/Platov were/are always better than Domnina/Shabalin, Grushina/Goncharov and Fusar-Poli/Margaglio.. lol. Are they better than T/D? IMO, no.
    Well 94 was T/D in their mid 30s, G/P just starting their rise, and Usova & Zhulin in their physical prime but due to emotional and personal diress way below their 91-93 level with a lame FD which Dubova must have smoked crack to select for them in their biggest year ever. So it is not like you are comparing to prime T/D or prime anyone really there, but even at that they still far eclipse many of the dance fields since.

vCash
    U/Z get my vote, the '92 event was very strong. I don't prefer them over the Ds, but still think their '92 program was stronger than their '94 silver-winning FD. Their '92 program would have won in '94 for sure, and even their '94 program should have won against G/P.

vCash
    I agree with judgejudy. The last three are so pathetic that I can't believe anyone would actually vote for any of those choices outside blind fandom or wanting to be a contrarian or simple bad taste.
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

Rooting for the Underdogs
    vCash
    Well 94 was T/D in their mid 30s, G/P just starting their rise, and Usova & Zhulin in their physical prime but due to emotional and personal diress way below their 91-93 level with a lame FD which Dubova must have smoked crack to select for them in their biggest year ever. So it is not like you are comparing to prime T/D or prime anyone really there, but even at that they still far eclipse many of the dance fields since.
    U/Z weren't quite in their physical prime that season: Zhulin had a groin injury that impacted their training time.

vCash
    I love A&P's Romeo & Juliet program, but U&Z were just

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast