Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Dashing Between Bennetton and Krispy Kreme
    vCash

Youngest and oldest skaters to land triples.

The two skaters off the top of my head that have landed triple jumps either in competition or exhibition are Kevin Reynolds (as a ten year old at a Canadian national juvenile championship) and Brian Boitano aged 48 last year at the 2011 Caesar's Tribute.

Are there any others that have landed triples older or younger (in competition or exhibition)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by essence_of_soy View Post
    The two skaters off the top of my head that have landed triple jumps either in competition or exhibition are Kevin Reynolds (as a ten year old at a Canadian national juvenile championship) and Brian Boitano aged 48 last year at the 2011 Caesar's Tribute.

Are there any others that have landed triples older or younger (in competition or exhibition)
    Nathan Chen was definitely landing triples at age 10, when he won the 2010 US novice title. I think he had a 2A the year before.

vCash
    Nathan Chen was also 10 when he won his first Novice nationals, performing many triples.

vCash
    Midori Ito? She might have been younger than 10 when she learned to jump triple jumps...

For the ladies, Biellman was almost in her 40s and still landing triples...didn't she?

vCash
    Mira Leung was eight when she landed her first triple.
    My job requires me to be a juggler, but that does not mean that I enjoy working with clowns.

vCash
    IIRC Angela Wang had a triple or two her first year Intermediate at 10 years old.

http://www.usfigureskating.org/conte...en-details.pdf
    Last edited by sk8indel; 09-03-2012 at 03:35 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by essence_of_soy View Post

I think you're right about Brian being the oldest.. I'm racking my brains but I can't think of anyone older than him doing it.. he is slightly older than Kurt, and I'm pretty sure Hamilton was a bit younger than 48 when he retired.

vCash
    Wasn't Donald Jackson doing triple salchows into his early 60s? Not sure if he ever did it in a show at that time, or just on practice ice.

Loving on babies!
    vCash
    Hell, I think Jozef Sabovcik was still trying a quad every year on his birthday and he's 48 now...certainly still doing triples in shows.
    I am free of all prejudices. I hate everyone equally.~W. C. Fields

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gkelly View Post
    Wasn't Donald Jackson doing triple salchows into his early 60s? Not sure if he ever did it in a show at that time, or just on practice ice.
    When I spoke to him 2 years ago at Skate Canada he was still doing double salchows and he would have been almost 70.
    I want to thank you Lord for being with me so far this day. With your help, I have not been inpatient, lost my temper been grumpy or envious of anyone. But I will be getting out of bed in a minute and I think I will really need your help then. Amen

vCash
    I have a tape with skating on it from the mid nineties and there is a Centrum vitamins commercial with Donald Jackson landing a triple in it (likely 1993-1994ish)...I believe he would have been in his 60s.

Dashing Between Bennetton and Krispy Kreme
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by honey View Post
    I have a tape with skating on it from the mid nineties and there is a Centrum vitamins commercial with Donald Jackson landing a triple in it (likely 1993-1994ish)...I believe he would have been in his 60s.
    That would be great if you could find it.

According to Wikipedia, Don was born in 1940, so in 1993/4, he would have been 54 (which would have made him the oldest person to land a triple).

vCash
    Somehow, I was able to find the commercial! I have literally dozens of tapes from that time but found it on the second tape I looked at.

Seems my memory was a bit off . The commercial was during the 1995 skate Canada and shows Don in a clip from 1990 at the age of 50 landing a triple sal. Still impressive though!

vCash
    IIRC Midori Ito was 8 when she landed triples (not sure which ones).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasey View Post
    Hell, I think Jozef Sabovcik was still trying a quad every year on his birthday and he's 48 now...certainly still doing triples in shows.
    Jozef is still skating in shows? Which ones? I think I remember him being on a Disson show a couple of years ago..

Loving on babies!
    vCash
    On Youtube I'm seeing "reflections on ice 2012" and "music on ice 2012" as shows Jozef has done this year, and he's frequently in the Sun Valley summer shows...
    I am free of all prejudices. I hate everyone equally.~W. C. Fields

vCash
    There are several Russian girls, who landed triples at age 9.

This year in April Anastasia Gubanova (b. Dec 2002) landed clean 3F+2T, 3T+2T, 3F, 3T in competition Crystal Skate. Here's this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1wEvh3X61c . She's probably the youngest female skater ever to have landed a clean triple flip in competition (but I don't know for sure).

Also Valeria Evseeva (b. March 2002, her coach is same as Elena Radionova: Inna Goncharenko) landed a clean 3Lo at age 9 in competition in January this year. Here's this moment: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...yzmN5d4#t=131s

Last year in February Viktoria Bezrukova (b. June 2001, so 9 years old at that moment) landed clean 3T and 3S in competition: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gt4uZKlAwsw Her coach is also Inna Goncharenko.

Maria Sotskova landed clean 3S+2T in competition in March 2010, one month before turning 10 years old (she is b. in April 2000 and she's old enough for next year's JGP) : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bb8xxfVEpq8
    Last edited by tkrm7778; 09-04-2012 at 10:26 AM.

vCash
    Probably Plushy was one of the youngest skaters doing triples. He won a national major competition "Crysal Skate" at age 7, against boys three or four years-older than him.
    Plushenko did his first triple jump at age 7 and had mastered all six varieties by 13.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1...geny-plushenko
    And I have seen his old video that he was doing triple toe in 1992. He was 9 or 10. Unfortunately I don't know where I can watch Russian children's competition in '80s. Anyone know?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JanetB View Post
    When I spoke to him 2 years ago at Skate Canada he was still doing double salchows and he would have been almost 70.
    He did a triple salchow in Vancouver on his 65th birthday. A friend got it on video. He is skating now in the Toronto area and landing doubles at 72 years old.

vCash

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast