vCash

Controversial church leader Rev. Sun Myung Moon, dies at 92

http://www.upi.com/Top_News/2012/09/...1891346611541/ . Haven't heard much about him for a while now. Guess, unlike Scientology, it's different when you don't have any celebrities as followers.

vCash
    Once I've heard those kinds of crazy conspiracy theories around this group and this man. Seriously, they are no better or worse than all the other goofy, insane "religious" groups. Mind-numbingly great at business, though.

Drawing Figures
    vCash
    Sell a carnation at the airport in his memory.

One of my best friends joined the Unification Church 30+ years ago. I always attributed it to low protein diet & the manipulative tactics they use. They used to prey on young people like my friend - his defenses were down because his father had just died. I'm sure they spotted him a mile away - an honest young man grieving, trusting, searching for answers. Thankfully, he finally got out after many years, but I have never forgotten it. No RIP from me "Reverend" Moon.

vCash
    One of our neighbors joined the church when she was about 20. She had been very popular in high school (cheerleader etc) not the stereotypical low self-esteem type. She went to visit friends on the West Coast one summer and joined there. Her parents were shocked and incredulous.

She got training as a legal secretary and married a Japanese man in one of those mass ceremonies (I don't think they actually lived together). She traveled around the world. In the beginning members of the church always accompanied her on her visits home, but after a few years she traveled on her own. My parents had a backyard pool that she would come over to use. I don't remember anything unusual about her other than her church affiliation. When she was about 36 she suffered from acute leukemia and her parents took care of her at home for about a year until she died (no marrow match could be found).
    Last edited by aliceanne; 09-05-2012 at 10:29 PM.

Beach Bum
    vCash
    re weird stories, I used to know Julia Moon when she was Hoon Sook Pak and the story about her marriage in this wiki is true. She was on tour with the Washington Ballet when she was called back and was married to the spirit of her dead fiancee (Rev Moon's son who had died in an accident). She was a gorgeous dancer.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Julia_Moon
    I think I will have a snack and take a nap before I eat and go to sleep.