Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by agalisgv View Post
    IWho said anything about plagiarism ?
    Just about every newspaper covering this?

Plagiarism doesn't just mean copying. But you know that.

From the Harvard Crimson:

Harvard College’s disciplinary board is investigating nearly half of the 279 students who enrolled in Government 1310: “Introduction to Congress” last spring for allegedly plagiarizing answers or inappropriately collaborating on the class’ final take-home exam.

Also:

the Ad Board conducted a review of all final exams submitted for the course and found about 125 of them to be suspicious.

So I believe the problem was just the final exam and not multiple exams, although more information will undoubtedly come out.

Quote Originally Posted by agalisgv View Post
    Again--how difficult is that to comprehend?
    I guess I am stupid.

But a student's own account says:

“Almost all of [the students at office hours] had been awake the entire night, and none of us could figure out what an entire question (worth 20% of the grade) was asking,”

And another of the students admits discussing test questions with other students and says it was commonplace......

then I kind of suspect that the students were working together on the test questions and not just sharing study guides before the exam.

Call me crazy. Or dense. But that's how my blind eyes see it.
    Trolling dates all the way back to 397 B.C. - People began following Plato around and would make fart noises after everything he said.

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Forrest View Post
    So no sympathy here. You cheat, you suffer the consequences. When you lose your integrity for a freaking grade, you need to be readjusted, and if expulsion or an F is the answer, then fine. You're in Harvard, everyone is graduated with Honors there it seems. You'll be fine. Just don't cheat.
    For some of these Harvard kids, being faced with a bad grade can come as a shock. I coasted through high school with straight A's (aside from PE since I hated running ) but in college, it seemed that everyone was smarter than I was. It came as a huge shock.

I had a few crying sessions after doing badly on tests, sucked it up, graduated with a B+ average, got a job thanks to my degree, and moved on. Straight A's don't really matter unless you're applying to med school, and if you're freaking out in undergrad, med school may not be for you in the first place. But a lot of these kids could have a superiority complex and literally can't handle anything less than an A. And that is when they start to cheat.

vCash
    It didn't say the students were up studying together. All the students I knew taking their general exams were up for most of the nights prior to the exam, but we weren't studying together.

A few have admitted to collaborating, but most deny this. The fact that several students were up all night working on the exam doesn't necessarily mean there were working together on it. The fact that they all had issues with a particular problem also doesn't entail they collaborated. It could have been just a poorly done problem--profs are sometimes known for that you know .

vCash
    I am confused about the focus on these "study guides" as an excuse explanation for the cheating. Are the accused students actually claiming that as an explanation? Or is this coming from others seeking to excuse the cheating? I've read several (but certainly far from all) news articles about this, and I don't think I've seen any of the anonymously-quoted students give the "study guide" excuse. Rather in almost all articles, there is a student who admits discussing exam questions with other students, and then provides an excuse explanation for doing so. So where is this coming from? I do see that it comes up in some of the comments on the news articles (e.g., on the Crimson article Prancer linked to), but I haven't seen this coming from the actual students involved.
    Creating drama!

Prick Admin
    vCash
    Sounds like there are a lot of clueless people at Harvard.
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Prancer View Post

That does rather seem to to be the case according to the comments on the site, although such comments aren't exactly the most reliable. But there seems to be a pretty consistent theme of "the class was considered a gut course, people signed up accordingly, the professor had decided to make it harder, students were offended." Several people say the test was still easy.

I was begged by the Dean of the Ohio Southern Ironton's campus to teach a cultural anthropology class several years ago. I didn't want to bother, but she was persistant. They had no one to teach the class, but it was a mandatory class. Go figure. I relented to my regret. You should have heard the complaints because I made them actually read the textbook and write several very short papers. Turns out, all I was really supposed to do was show up for class and tell the students stories. They were outraged when that's not what happened because that's how it had been done before when the Dean managed to find somebody willing to drive down from Columbus to teach the class. It's so sad when somebody turns those pieces of cake into lead.
    Adelina Sotnikova defeated the curse of Esta She is indeed the Greatest Of All Time!

vCash
    An update:

As many as 60 students have been forced to withdraw from Harvard University after cheating on a final exam last year in what has become the largest academic scandal to hit the Ivy League school in recent memory.

Roughly 125 undergraduates were involved in the scandal, which came to light at the end of the spring semester after a professor noticed similarities on a take-home exam that showed students worked together, even though they were instructed to work alone.

The school's student newspaper, The Harvard Crimson, has reported that the government class, Introduction to Congress, had 279 students enrolled.

"Somewhat more than half of the Administrative Board cases this past fall required a student to withdraw from the College for a period of time," Smith wrote. "Of the remaining cases, roughly half the students received disciplinary probation, while the balance ended in no disciplinary action."
    http://news.yahoo.com/dozens-student...GlvbnM-;_ylv=3
    Creating drama!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123