Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

vCash
    Congrats to David Weir - a 4th Gold medal at these games - he is just awesome. How he did a marathon after winning the 3 previous golds is beyond me - he truely is a superman. I'm sure we are looking at a future Sir here

And congrats to Shelly Woods for her well earned silver in the womens race - she has such potential for the future

I can hardly believe it is nearly over - our GB guys and gals have done us proud - all those who just took part regardless if they won medals or not. I know many of them have said they don't want to be held up as brave but they are all truely inspirational and deserve all the kudos and coverage they have received. A heartfelt thank you goes out to each and everyone of them

And there is going to be a huge parade in London tomorrow celebrating all of Team GB - both the athletes from the Olympics and Paralympics

The Sports Personality of the Year is going to be a tough one to call this year - so many great performances from so many different athletes!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lorac View Post
    The Sports Personality of the Year is going to be a tough one to call this year - so many great performances from so many different athletes!!
    The only way I can figure a way around it is to give the Team of the year as a joint award to Team GB and Paralympics GB to make sure everyone gets recognition. Don't know where you would then start to separate individuals out how do you compare Mo Farah, David Weir, Sir Chris Hoy, Wiggo, Hannah Cockcroft, Laura Trott, Katherine Grainger, Andy Murray ( especially if he by some miracle wins the US open)......I could go on. The only thing I am pretty sure of is that footballers won't be getting a look in this year!

Would love to see Lifetime Achievement award go to Seb Coe, I know he has won the regular one and come second (to Robin Cousins) during his athletics career, but what he has done to raise sport in this country culminating this summer is truly deserving of a lifetime achievement award.
    Last edited by alij; 09-09-2012 at 02:51 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by alij View Post
    The only thing I am pretty sure of is that footballers won't be getting a look in this year!

vCash
    The only thing I am pretty sure of is that footballers won't be getting a look in this year!
    Thank goodness for that. I love football but some of the footballers behaviour both on and off the pitch is beginning to wear thin a little. And at least our olympians - all of them - have put their money where their mouth is this year - which is more than can be said for our footballers IMHO!!

Sending my thoughts and prayers to the people of Elliott Lake :(
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lorac View Post
    Congrats to David Weir - a 4th Gold medal at these games - he is just awesome. How he did a marathon after winning the 3 previous golds is beyond me - he truely is a superman. I'm sure we are looking at a future Sir here And congrats to Shelly Woods for her well earned silver in the womens race - she has such potential for the future

I can hardly believe it is nearly over - our GB guys and gals have done us proud - all those who just took part regardless if they won medals or not. I know many of them have said they don't want to be held up as brave but they are all truely inspirational and deserve all the kudos and coverage they have received. A heartfelt thank you goes out to each and everyone of them

And there is going to be a huge parade in London tomorrow celebrating all of Team GB - both the athletes from the Olympics and Paralympics

The Cdn Paralympic Committee's got a great series of PSA's of Athlete Profiles called The Super Athletes that have been running pretty much all year long. Whoever thought that up in either the PR Dept of the CPC or whatever agency they use was beyond brilliant as it's *perfect*!! I hope we see a new one profiling our Winter Paralympians going into Sochi.

I heard last night there's going to be a big parade in Toronto for our Olympians this week, but no mention of our Paralympians. I hope that was only an oversight w/the way the announcement was made, but I have a bad feeling it wasn't. I also heard rumours of a Twitter campaign to try and get as many people to Pearson tomorrow to Welcome the Team Home, as showed up for the Olympic Team. No idea if that's true or not, but it would be awesome if it was.

The only way I can figure a way around it is to give the Team of the year as a joint award to Team GB and Paralympics GB to make sure everyone gets recognition. Don't know where you would then start to separate individuals out how do you compare Mo Farah, David Weir, Sir Chris Hoy, Wiggo, Hannah Cockcroft, Laura Trott, Katherine Grainger, Andy Murray ( especially if he by some miracle wins the US open)......I could go on. The only thing I am pretty sure of is that footballers won't be getting a look in this year!

Would love to see Lifetime Achievement award go to Seb Coe, I know he has won the regular one and come second (to Robin Cousins) during his athletics career, but what he has done to raise sport in this country culminating this summer is truly deserving of a lifetime achievement award.
    THIS!!! What that man has done to plan both the outstandingly incredable show London's put on this Summer w/both Games has been beyond anything expected and also truly lived up to the motto : Inspire A Generation just goes beyond anything I could say. There were so many incredable Team GB performances that's going to light the passion in so many kids out there who were watching and then turned to their Parents and said, "I want to do that/be like him/her!!"

Sir Coe deserves every single accolade and award he could be given for his Leadership in giving both GB and the World such incredable Olympics and Paralympics. Well Done Sir Indeed!!

I hate to bring up something awful following that, but...

Last night's package...Canada gets it's first and only multiple Gold Medal Day at the Games and we only see the one Medal Ceremony. That was the Men's Basketball Team and that happened at the end of the broadcast. Robbie Wheldon's in the Time Trail in Road Cycling never was shown. Oh, we saw her on the podium w/her pilot after they'd been given their Medals, but that was about a mere 2 or 3 seconds and that was all.

However, they decided they had enough time to show us a relay from the day before in the Pool *and* for us to hear God Preserve New Zealand as part of Amber's Medal Ceremony from her latest Medal in the pool and see the Maple Leaf going up beside the New Zealand flag to the rafters of the Aquatic Centre. Showing us Robbie's Gold Medal Ceremony in it's entirety however when they've done that w/all of the others?

If I knew who to send a strongly worded complaint to, I'd do it, but considering this is part of the CTV/TSN/SN blob of Broadcasters...

And just to make clear...I normally haven't got a problem w/listening to God Preserve New Zealand, as it's one of my favourite National Anthems outside of my own and we don't hear it enough at Major Sporting Events IMO. However, when it gets played during a Cdn packaged broadcast at the expense of a Cdn Gold Medal Ceremony? That's a bit different.

Congratulations to the Kiwi Team as they've just had one heck of an incredable Games!!

Sigh...Can't believe it's all over today.

Prick Admin
    vCash
    This is more the greatest hits of Coldplay than a closing ceremony.

For some reason now we have what appears to be fake ice and skaters....
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by allezfred View Post

Agreed - one or two songs would have sufficed IMHO - now it is going on a bit for my liking!!!

is lutz crazy!!!
    vCash
    Indeed - and now they're going to have the "first" of their special guests? I don't mind Coldplay per se but tend to feel like once the first two songs are done it all sounds alike...

And I think some fake snow after as well... not quite the same as making it rain but still.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mella View Post
    And I think some fake snow after as well... not quite the same as making it rain but still.
    What's up with the fake snow and fake ice? Does London intend to host the winter olympics next?

Failing her snatch
    vCash
    Missed most of the closing as I had to go out, not sorry I missed the Coldplay concert!

Gutted it's all over.

Agree with Seb Coe for that lifetime achievement - INCREDIBLE Olympics and Paralympics.

#Proud
    Dont Hate! Gyrate!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Asli View Post
    What's up with the fake snow and fake ice? Does London intend to host the winter olympics next?
    they know they wont get that opportunity, so they decided to do it at the closing ceremony of the winter games. I am so happy for the Brits for hosting such a great olympics and Paralympics.

Need to read some users comment on Guardian, I sure there are still some Londoners whining about the games...

vCash
    Jst been reading Kathy Hanretty's tweets and the skaters on the fake ice were all of the male skaters from Dancing on Ice including of course her husband Mark

Prick Admin
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Domshabfan View Post
    they know they wont get that opportunity, so they decided to do it at the closing ceremony of the winter games. I am so happy for the Brits for hosting such a great olympics and Paralympics.

Need to read some users comment on Guardian, I sure there are still some Londoners whining about the games...
    PML. My sister sent me a link to a Guardian article and I scrolled down to the comments. Some people are just so miserable.
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

vCash
    [QUOTE=Domshabfan;3679402]. I am so happy for the Brits for hosting such a great olympics and Paralympics.

Do you think we will get more Eurovision votes next year then ?

Prick Admin
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nuge View Post

Not unless you send a good song. Which applies to us as well.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nuge View Post

No carry over points from one event to another...

Not unless you send a good song. Which applies to us as well.
    I hope they don't sent anyone decent anytime soon. The whining brits are my entertainment that gets me out of my eurovision hangover, reading and listening to them at just . Whining Brits are second only to angry americans, especially when they don't win an olympic bid. They are almost threatening, how IOC needs US dollars to survive etc, etc... I don't think i can do without both ...

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567