Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    engaged to dupa
    vCash
    Once again - that does not mean that that will be the basis of the suit. They said they thought they were targeted because they were gay not that that's why they're suing.
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    I agree with you, milanessa. However, the reaction to their story is why I rarely point out any discrimination I feel like I have gotten in my life. People just don't want to hear that there is discrimination and they will latch onto that aspect and ignore the merits of your actual complaint.
    Actual bumper sticker series: Jesus is my co-pilot. Satan is my financial advisor. Budha is my therapist. L. Ron Hubbard owes me $50.

vCash
    I think the discrimination is just for the PR of the story. The actual argument the attorney will use will probably leave it out and just focus on the actual vandalism and whether United Continental was liable and therefore should pay damages.

The crux of the case relies on whether United Continental is liable/responsible for luggage handling in a series of scenarios (such as lost luggage, damage to luggage, etc.).

I also have to laugh at the poster who suggested that the people who got their luggage vandalize should just accept whatever measly compensation the poster themselves offered (two free seats for the next flight). For one thing, we don't know what United Continental offered, and another thing is that why should the passengers graciously accept that when real damage and vandalism was done?
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

vCash
    If they were offered two discounted/free tickets, it would mean they would have to fly that airline again. After this incident, I could why they wouldn't want to do that.

KWEEN 2016! YES WE KWAN!
    vCash
    If 1) b) i) is the case, then it really isn't the airline's fault to begin with.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by UMBS Go Blue View Post
    If 1) b) i) is the case, then it really isn't the airline's fault to begin with.
    Unless airlines assume responsibility for their customers' luggage no matter who handles it in-transit since airline customers only go through the airline to check-in and pick-up their baggage. It's not as if airline passengers go through third parties throughout every stop.
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by julieann View Post
    I don't know what else he had in his luggage that would have made the airline worker assume he was gay.
    I'd imagine most workers would assume that the presence of men's clothing, male name on luggage tags, men's toiletries, etc. + dildo = gay male.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CantALoop View Post
    I'd imagine most workers would assume that the presence of men's clothing, male name on luggage tags, men's toiletries, etc. + dildo = gay male.
    So now a wife can't even ask her husband to put a simple dildo in his luggage for her anymore because hers is too full without him being called gay? Great!

Besides, the story said "unspecified sex toy" everyone is guessing as to what it was.

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    that's not a vibrator, that's a neck massager
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by julieann View Post
    So now a wife can't even ask her husband to put a simple dildo in his luggage for her anymore because hers is too full without him being called gay? Great!

Besides, the story said "unspecified sex toy" everyone is guessing as to what it was.
    Wow, that's some major shopping or poor folding if someone can't even fit a dildo into a packed piece of luggage I'm pretty sure that most men who know that baggage screeners and TSA agents have the authority to open luggage and search the contents would be hesitant to carry a sex toy that isn't theirs in their luggage.

TSA: "Sir, we encountered this object in your luggage."
    Man: "Oh that's not mine."
    TSA: "Then what is it doing there?"
    Man: "My spouse/partner asked me to carry it. I swear, it isn't mine!"

vCash
    TSA: "Sir, we encountered this object in your luggage."
    Man: "Oh that's not mine."
    TSA: "Then what is it doing there?"
    Man: "My spouse/partner asked me to carry it. I swear, it isn't mine!"
    Austin Power had a scene like that at the airport with a pump .

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Or a straight guy planning a little surprise for someone.

I can think of some sex toys that are clearly gay sex toys, but dildos?
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

vCash
    If the dildo has a realistic resemblance to an erect human penis then most likely it belong to a gay guy.

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by orbitz View Post
    If the dildo has a realistic resemblance to an erect human penis then most likely it belong to a gay guy.
    Lots of women use those.
    3539 and counting.

vCash
    Wow, that's some major shopping or poor folding if someone can't even fit a dildo into a packed piece of luggage I'm pretty sure that most men who know that baggage screeners and TSA agents have the authority to open luggage and search the contents would be hesitant to carry a sex toy that isn't theirs in their luggage.
    I don't see why, if you're married/in a committed relationship, you wouldn't pack what belongs to your partner.
    My mom always packs mixed bags (her and my dad's clothing in every suitcase and when I travelled with them, mine, too) when flying overseas in case a suitcase gets lost.

As far as suing the airline is concerned, I'm wondering how much good that will do. Whenever our bags get opened by TSA, there's a paper in there that states that it was searched by TSA and if something was missing I'd contact TSA not the airline. When one of our suitcases lost a name tag on its way from the US to London, it was London airport security that paged us and asked us to identify the bag. Not the airline.
    The airline never opens the suitcase and if an airline worker did open the suitcase then it would probably have been unlawful to begin with.

However, the sex toy must have already been strapped to the suitcase when the workers handled it to load it either into a container or cart to get it to the plane and apparently, no one bothered to contact anyone who could contact the owner of the suitcase...

It will be interesting to see how that lawsuit turns out.

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Really?

Quote Originally Posted by milanessa View Post
    Lots of women use those.
    I would assume so as well. They certainly show up a lot on 'sex toys for women' lists.

If this comes up in court, it will be interesting to see if anyone has any statistics on realistic dildo use by gay men vs. women .
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

vCash
    Yes, because straight women have no use for erect human penises.
    "I hit him with my shoes... if he had given me the medal like I told him to, I wouldn't have had to hit him!" -- 8-year-old Rhoda Penmark in "The Bad Seed"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Prancer View Post
    Really?

I would assume so as well. They certainly show up a lot on 'sex toys for women' lists.

If this comes up in court, it will be interesting to see if anyone has any statistics on realistic dildo use by gay men vs. women .
    How does one make the distinction? Female use vs. male use? Are there signs of some kind? I think not.
    My job requires me to be a juggler, but that does not mean that I enjoy working with clowns.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    How does one make the distinction? Female use vs. male use? Are there signs of some kind? I think not.
    Given the difference between male and female anatomies, its entirely possible that one type of toy would appear equally oriented towards gays as straights - especially were it missing that one part that females especially enjoy (don't know if men enjoy it but all things are possible I suppose).

If this is the case, then perhaps there might be a case for discrimination. Although the act was foul and entirely unacceptable nonetheless.

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Japanfan View Post
    Given the difference between male and female anatomies, its entirely possible that one type of toy would appear equally oriented towards gays as straights - especially were it missing that one part that females especially enjoy (don't know if men enjoy it but all things are possible I suppose).
    (my bold) I haven't had any coffee yet this morning. That's my excuse for having no idea what you're talking about.
    3539 and counting.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast