4 2.33%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DimaToe View Post
    So... looks like the Kween might not win this poll
    She's in 3rd now, so maybe she'll take bronze in the bronze poll

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    i'm still not convinced that joannie should have had bronze to begin with, interesting to see her lead
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by falling_dance View Post
    She also finished fourth in pairs at the same Olympics.
    At the age of 38, no less.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    At the age of 38, no less.
    Eighties kids are unstoppable!

I can call the moon a pear, but it doesn't make it so. -- kwanfan1818

vCash
    Purple, still...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DimaToe View Post
    So... looks like the Kween might not win this poll
    So, it means all her other wins were well deserved !

vCash
    I wish I could change my vote. I rewatched Lu Chen's '98 and '94 performance, and I actually decided I like the '94 one better even though I originally thought '98 was better.

vCash
    I can't believe Joannie is winning this poll...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smarts1 View Post
    I know. Artistically, yes, that performance was nice, but technically.. far from wonderful.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blue_idealist View Post
    I know. Artistically, yes, that performance was nice, but technically.. far from wonderful.
    LOL, that's why she "only" won the bronze !
    It was far from being wonderful, but it was very good and a strong performance. Minor errors in jumps, good spins, good skating qualities...
    Anyway, I didn't vote for her !

vCash
    How technically strong are most bronze medalists for that to be a reasonable complaint?

vCash
    It meets all of the fluff piece requirements. The struggles, the home court, the dedication to her mom, the iffy shot at bronze at best, her actually pulling it off, etc... It's the most sappy made for tv movie moment on the list, even perhaps more than lulu's comeback in 98 which is currently in 2nd.

When you're a Kwan or Debi and expected to take gold, perhaps silver and then only manage bronze, there's a certain amount of backlash.

vCash
    Most of my favorites are from the wayback machine.

Pewter - Hana Maskova 1968 an athletic and original skater who should be better remembered

Bronze - Chen, 1998. Not so much for the skating, which was rough but for the emotions.

Silver - Christine Errath, 1976, former world champion (only big GDR skater not coached by Jutta Muller?) a stylish and athletic competitor who's also underrated

Gold - Janet Lynn, 1972 who virtually reinvented freeskating.

vCash
    Why? Everyone else on this poll had glaring errors too including Kwan in 2002 and Chen in 1998. The one exception might be Chen in 94 but she still had alot of development left at that point.

As for those who think Nagasu's LP in Vancouver was better, Nagasu's LP was probably better than everyone else on this poll had she won the bronze as well. Remember the Vancouver ladies event was the best ladies event in history. Other than possibly the silver medalist all the other positions would have beaten anyone else in any skating or Olympic competition at the same position in history probably.

aka IceSkate98
    vCash
    I voted for the lovely and talented Joannie Rochette.
    Angie
    “I have not failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” ~ Thomas A. Edison

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    Why? Everyone else on this poll had glaring errors too including Kwan in 2002 and Chen in 1998. The one exception might be Chen in 94 but she still had alot of development left at that point.

As for those who think Nagasu's LP in Vancouver was better, Nagasu's LP was probably better than everyone else on this poll had she won the bronze as well. Remember the Vancouver ladies event was the best ladies event in history. Other than possibly the silver medalist all the other positions would have beaten anyone else in any skating or Olympic competition at the same position in history probably.
    It's not like Joannie didn't have any glaring errors either...

Besides, Lulu is still superior artistry-wise to Joannie as artistic as Joannie is.

vCash
    It's not like Joannie didn't have any glaring errors either...

Besides, Lulu is still superior artistry-wise to Joannie as artistic as Joannie is.
    Lu' 94 artistry is not superior. Lu's 98 artistry is probably superior (although she definitely wasnt up to her 95 and 96 standard of artistry) but her technical by then is WAY way weaker, even with Joannie making a bit more in mistakes (well only when thinking under Chen's own scoring system of the time, under COP nearly every jump she did in 98 would have been <). I am surprised Lu's 98 has so many votes as it is, far more than I am surprised at Joannie leading this poll. I would have expected her 94 performance to have more. In a head to head competition Chen from 94, Kwan from 2002, Rochette from 2010, would have all easily beaten Chen from 98. It is obvious many are just going for the personal victory or emotion of the performance aspect, not the best quality skate. She after all barely edged a mediocre Butyrskaya with major mistakes, limited technical content, and a nervy, stiff, and joyless performance which was overall about 55% of the caliber of her World title winning performance to that same program the very next year.

On another note there are many who didnt agree with Chen's 98 bronze too, in fact more than disagreed with Joannie's in 2010 which were mostly a few overenthusiastic Nagasu ubers, and this despite the overall competition was far below the 2010 level.
    Last edited by judgejudy27; 09-03-2012 at 04:09 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by caseyedwards View Post
    Michelle Kwan is not winning?! LOL. She was still Kwan-esque in many respects and in many details.
    Yeah, this is probably the only FSU poll naming the Kween as a choice, that she does not win. A lot of Kweenatics remain in denial about how she fared in both of her Olympics. Sorta like old-style Soviet Union, in which entire events were erased from history. Other than the falls, I thought that Michelle skated a more pleasant (less tight) Olys LP in 2002 than she did in 1998.

As for this poll, the absolute-best Olympics bronze medalist lady ever was Janet Lynn in Sapporo-1972. One of the greatest all-time skaters, period.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    Remember the Vancouver ladies event was the best ladies event in history.
    I don't find 2010 Ladies event to be that memorable. The winner was a forgone conclusion, more or less, and the 2nd and 3rd place finishers did not skate up to their full potential. 1994, 1998, and 2002 had more thrills and unexpected results.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by orbitz View Post
    I don't find 2010 Ladies event to be that memorable. The winner was a forgone conclusion, more or less, and the 2nd and 3rd place finishers did not skate up to their full potential. 1994, 1998, and 2002 had more thrills and unexpected results.
    Maybe, but when you have to go to the 12th ranked LP to find the first fallin ladies free skate competition, you've had something rare. In terms of pure skating, I'd love to see another competition of that leve.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast