Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    vCash
    I have narrow feet - AAA heel and AA ball and we were able to heat mold my edea concertos.

I just switched from Harlick 2 weeks ago and let me tell you, these skates are magical. I am an adult skater (34) who skated as a child and had 2 triple jumps, now I am getting all of my doubles back and on the 2nd day that I was in my edeas my double loops felt flawless. You need to find someone that is used to fitting edea skates in order to get them molded like that - the coach who did mine put them in a box with a hole cut out and put a hair dryer in there. They sat enclosed for about 10 minutes. After that she took them out and squeezed the heel area together. I then put the skates on and tightened them as hard as possible.. then walked around a bit and let them cool down. They've been perfect since I got them.

The material they use is not leather which is why it heat molds so easily - carbon fiber practically melts in your hand when heat is applied so when those hot boots were taken out of the box they took the shape of whatever we wanted to do to them. The inside is a memory foam like tempurpedic - all it needs is your body heat and it forms to your feet.

I feel like I'm skating on air. I've been a harlick skater all my life and I still hold a special place in my heart for them, but these skates are something else.

vCash
    I used to have Edea and they did not go with me. It was when I was complete beginner, and the boots were just beginner boots (I think Edea Overture). I often had cramps in my feet and had to sit down every half an hour to take them off for a few minutes (now I know that it was because they were too narrow - it cut my blood flow). Things got slowly better (after about a year I could wear them for 2 hours without having to take them off), but I grew a huge bunions. Now I have custom made Klingbeil to accommodate the bunions and regret that I didn't dump the Edea boots earlier. But I was not experienced and I thought that boots are supposed to hurt a bit - I mean, so many people on the forum complains about their boots...

vCash
    My daughter wears the Edea Ice Fly. The balls of her feet are very wide and her heels are very narrow. She has had problems with other boots slipping in the heel. They are able to widen the toe box and pull in the Achilles Tendon and lower heel so they don't slip. She ends up with a perfect fit.

Additionally, there is no break in time at all. She will do a Novice long program on day one in a new pair of boots.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by babbyrabbit View Post
    We have quite a few people at our rinks giving a try to the Italian skates.

Any feedback? Lovers or haters out there??
    I prefer them much more to Risport boots.

Much more comfortable and there's no break-in time. I remember being shocked at having no blisters at all when I started skating. Love them.

They are also really light.

Quote Originally Posted by hanca View Post
    I used to have Edea and they did not go with me. It was when I was complete beginner, and the boots were just beginner boots (I think Edea Overture). I often had cramps in my feet and had to sit down every half an hour to take them off for a few minutes (now I know that it was because they were too narrow - it cut my blood flow). Things got slowly better (after about a year I could wear them for 2 hours without having to take them off), but I grew a huge bunions. Now I have custom made Klingbeil to accommodate the bunions and regret that I didn't dump the Edea boots earlier. But I was not experienced and I thought that boots are supposed to hurt a bit - I mean, so many people on the forum complains about their boots...
    Do you have very wide feet? Maybe it would have helped you, if you had got them heat moulded at the beginning. Is it hard to find a store that heat moulds boots in the UK?
    Last edited by Ziggy; 09-17-2012 at 01:29 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by severina View Post
    The material they use is not leather which is why it heat molds so easily - carbon fiber practically melts in your hand when heat is applied so when those hot boots were taken out of the box they took the shape of whatever we wanted to do to them. The inside is a memory foam like tempurpedic - all it needs is your body heat and it forms to your feet.
    Do your feet get hot in them when you skate for awhile? Do they ever feel loose when you're in a warm rink or you've been skating hard and your feet heat up?

Quote Originally Posted by gr8sk8101 View Post
    MThey are able to widen the toe box and pull in the Achilles Tendon and lower heel so they don't slip.
    Who is it who does this? Edea? Or a regular skate shop?
    How long does a pair of Edeas last her? And how many hours a week does she skate?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ChibiChibi View Post
    Actually I've heard from many skaters who have very nallow feet (AAA-AAAAA) that the Edeas didn't work for them at all.
    The skates I had before Edeas were either AA/AAA or AAA/AAAA, and Edeas worked fine for me.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post

Do you have very wide feet? Maybe it would have helped you, if you had got them heat moulded at the beginning. Is it hard to find a store that heat moulds boots in the UK?
    My feet are quite wide in the toe area and have very narrow heel. I think the toe area was not fitting well and that's why the foot was very squeezed - the joint under my little toe is now permanently bigger (they made me grow extra bone on that joint).

I am not even sure if the boots were heat mouldable - they were the completely beginners boots, the ones that come with blade attached (blade Mark IV). I think heat moulding might help a little bit (if they were mouldable at all) but it wouldn't completely sort the problem anyway. I don't think you can completely change the width of the boot by heat moulding. I would get a tiny bit of extra space, but I don't think I would get as much as I needed.

vCash

How long does a pair of Edeas last her? And how many hours a week does she skate?

I believe any skate shop with experience with Edeas can do it. We typically buy them at competitions from Skates US. Their fitters are very good on site and are able to fit them and mold them on the spot. If they need some minor changes, it can be done right there. I have also sent them back before to have the achilles brought in a bit more.

My daughter skates 20+ hours per week and she gets between 6 -9 months out of a pair. She is on the smaller side so we have not had the bending problem in the ankle.

I hope this helps!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gr8sk8101 View Post

I believe any skate shop with experience with Edeas can do it. We typically buy them at competitions from Skates US. Their fitters are very good on site and are able to fit them and mold them on the spot. If they need some minor changes, it can be done right there. I have also sent them back before to have the achilles brought in a bit more.

My daughter skates 20+ hours per week and she gets between 6 -9 months out of a pair. She is on the smaller side so we have not had the bending problem in the ankle.

I hope this helps!
    Very informative, thank you!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Doubletoe
    Do your feet get hot in them when you skate for awhile? Do they ever feel loose when you're in a warm rink or you've been skating hard and your feet heat up?

They don't seem to feel any hotter than my harlicks. They do feel loose but that's because of the way you lace them at the top. They're not supposed to be tight at the top. The ankles stay firmly in the boot but the tongue is supposed to bend easily. I couldn't believe the whole tying it loose at the top until I tried it. I've always tied my boots very tight at the hooks and it felt strange for a day or so but I got used to it pretty fast.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by severina View Post
    They don't seem to feel any hotter than my harlicks. They do feel loose but that's because of the way you lace them at the top. They're not supposed to be tight at the top. The ankles stay firmly in the boot but the tongue is supposed to bend easily. I couldn't believe the whole tying it loose at the top until I tried it. I've always tied my boots very tight at the hooks and it felt strange for a day or so but I got used to it pretty fast.
    Interesting, thanks!

vCash
    So I finally got my edea concertos. The front feels fine, but the area around my Achilles feels quite loose. It doesn't feel secure. I asked the rep if that was normal and he said it was and to maybe wear thick socks. Thick socks? I always thought we were supposed to wear thin socks or even no socks. Anyone ever have problems with the Achilles area feeling loose?

vCash
    My heel feels a bit loose in my Harlicks, but not my Achilles area, specifically. I wouldn't do the thick sock thing, but I might try a Bunga ankle sleeve and see if that helps. I wear them to prevent the top edge of my skates from biting into my calves and giving me big ole scars that glow when I get a sunburn (overall, not an attractive look), but I'm thinking they may help with filling the Achilles area so you feel more secure there.
    Use Yah Blinkah!

“It is far more important to have a good judge than a possible conflict of interest." - Ottavio Cinquanta
    vCash
    I have read a lot of people say there is "no break in time" with Edea. FWIW, my last pair of Riedells had no break in time either. It just depends on the brand and the stiffness. Many people purchase boots that are just too stiff for them.

I would disagree with the person who said you need to wear thick socks to make them fit? This person sounds like they don't know how to fit skates properly. You're supposed to wear either thin socks or no socks with skates.

Shadow dancing
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ronniev View Post
    So I finally got my edea concertos. The front feels fine, but the area around my Achilles feels quite loose. It doesn't feel secure. I asked the rep if that was normal and he said it was and to maybe wear thick socks. Thick socks? I always thought we were supposed to wear thin socks or even no socks. Anyone ever have problems with the Achilles area feeling loose?
    No to thick socks - in any type of skate - your rep sounds like he doesn't know what the heck he is talking about. The beauty of Edeas is that they should be able to mold the skate around your problem areas so that things like that aren't happening. In fact, they molded mine so that the Achilles area was snugger. Sounds to me like you need to talk to an actual fitter experienced with them. Are you in the US?

vCash
    Doesn't sound to me like a loose heel is something that can be fixed. Don't settle for socks or anything to fill up the fit. Seems to me like you need a new pair, fit to the heel. I would demand a replacement. Custom skates are supposed to be, well, CUSTOM.

Shadow dancing
    vCash
    Edeas aren't custom, they are customizable. Think stock boot that can be shaped and manipulated using a heat gun. As long as the basic fitting is correct (my first boots weren't but they replaced them) they can be adjusted.

vCash
    I have friend with very narrow heels. She told me that every si months or so, she brings her Edeas to the Edea dealer to have the heels "squeezed." Apparently they reheat them and then clamp the sides of the heel areas to make them fit tighter.
    I'd rather be thought of as absolutely ridiculous than as absolutely boring.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by zaphyre14 View Post
    I have friend with very narrow heels. She told me that every si months or so, she brings her Edeas to the Edea dealer to have the heels "squeezed." Apparently they reheat them and then clamp the sides of the heel areas to make them fit tighter.
    Yep, I think I'm going to have to ask them squeezed. The heels are still a bit wide and same with the top of the front of my foot. In the meantime, a friend at the rink gave me some wet suit material to cut out and help fill in the gap at the top front part of the foot. That seemed to help quite a bit, but I'd rather have the boot fit well instead of using fillers.

I wouldn't say there is no break in period with the concertos. Sure--they don't feel like wooden shoes like my last pair of SP Teri's did when I got them. However, it took about three one hour sessions to feel like the boots felt like they had adjusted to my feet or vice versa. If it's your first time in an edea concerto, it might take a couple of sessions to get used to the higher heel and the boot as well. The flex is all in the tongue.

I had my phantom specials transferred from my old SP Teri's to my Edeas, and even skating backwards took some getting used to.

That being said, I'm starting to really like them.

vCash
    I think most girls like them because they have a nifty silver sparkly design and have silver sparkly soles. Brilliant marketing. However, for the most part, they are way too stiff for the vast majority of skaters out there. Stiffness does not equal better. Skates that are too stiff are a major cause of injuries to the knees and hips.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast