View Poll Results: Which Of These Movies Interest You? (Vote For As Many As You Like)

Voters
56. You may not vote on this poll
  • Sep. 14th - Resident Evil: Retribution (Sci-Fi adventure with Milla Jovovich and Michelle Rodriguez)

6 10.71%
  • Sep. 21st - The Perks of Being a Wallflower (Drama with Emma Watson, Dylan McDermott and Paul Rudd)

17 30.36%
  • Sep. 28th – Looper (Sci-Fi action with Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Bruce Willis and Emily Blunt)

19 33.93%
  • Sep. 28th - Won't Back Down (Drama with Viola Davis, Maggie Gyllenhaal and Holly Hunter)

10 17.86%
  • Oct. 5th - Pitch Perfect (Musical comedy with Anna Kendrick, Rebel Wilson and Brittany Snow)

18 32.14%
  • Oct. 5th - Butter (Comedy with Jennifer Garner, Hugh Jackman and Alicia Silverstone)

6 10.71%
  • Oct. 26th - Cloud Atlas (Sci-Fi mystery with Tom Hanks, Hugh Grant, Halle Berry and Jim Sturgess)

18 32.14%
  • Nov. 2nd - Flight (Drama with Denzel Washington, Don Cheadle and Melissa Leo)

12 21.43%
  • Nov. 9th - Skyfall (Adventure with Daniel Craig, Judi Dench, Ralph Fiennes and Javier Bardem)

24 42.86%
  • Nov. 16th The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn – Part 2 (Kristen Stewart and Robert Pattinson)

7 12.50%
  • Nov. 21st - Life of Pi (Adventure drama with Tobey Maguire and Gérard Depardieu)

19 33.93%
  • Nov. 21st - Red Dawn (Action with Chris Hemsworth, Josh Hutcherson and Jeffrey Dean Morgan)

10 17.86%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by agalisgv View Post
    Subtitles are almost always paraphrases of the dialogue. One reason is usually the dialogue is more than can be comfortably read in the time allowable, so it's cut down and simplified to communicate what's necessary.
    To paraphase (sub-title): JUST THE FACTS!
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

vCash
    Subtitles are almost always paraphrases of the dialogue. One reason is usually the dialogue is more than can be comfortably read in the time allowable, so it's cut down and simplified to communicate what's necessary.
    I had this very conversation with a friend when Talk to Her won the Oscar for best screenplay. She kept saying that there was nothing special about the dialogue that she could read on the screen, but I kept trying, unsuccessfully, to convince her that the Spanish dialogue was much richer and more interesting.
    Logic is in the eye of the logician --Gloria Steinem

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    Brevity was definitely not the objective in this case though. Not when they changed every "wee" to "little," every "fags" to "cigarettes," and every "hen" to "sweetheart."

vCash
    Jennifer Garner in "Butter" looks like a less-funny imitation of Kirstie Alley in "Drop Dead Gorgeous."

But for "Pitch Perfect!" Lots of good movies coming out this fall/winter...

vCash
    I watched "The Deerhunter" again the other night for maybe the third time. I love the wedding scenes and the heat that DeNiro and Streep generated onscreen. I also thought Chris Walken was fabulous as Nicky. His character was so sweet and innocent and so not ready for Viet Nam. But who was? I loved that they set the story in a Ukrainian town in Pennsylvania. You know I love everything about the movie though some scenes are difficult to watch.

having a nice day
    vCash
    I watched it too, not long ago, and wondered why it won the Oscar for Best Film. I used to know... I guess what I'm saying is, I don't don't think it's held up well over the years, whereas another Cimino film-"Heaven's Gate"-still seems fresh & relevent to me, and yet another Cimino film-"Year of the Dragon"-is still the same friggin' disaster it always was. Shrug.

vCash
    I must admit I've never seen "Heaven's Gate" though I want to see it the way Cimino intended us to see it. That also goes for "Once Upon A Time in America" as I was befuddled when I first saw it and then found out that movie was sliced and diced to pieces. As for "Deer Hunter" I guess it reminded me of a lot of people like them that I know in New Jersey. It rang true to me then and now.

vCash
    Watched Carmen Jones last night. Judy Garland wasn't robbed of the 1954 Oscar...Dorothy Dandridge was. But I guess it was too early to actually award 'Best Actress' to a black woman.

vCash

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    So if you were to pick a movie to see featuring these couples, who would you choose:

Richard Gere and Susan Sarandon
    Channing Tatum and Rosario Dawson
    Josh Radnor [How I Met Your Mother] and Elizabeth Olsen
    Lea Thompson and John Shea

I bet you'd pick the movie pretty much in order of the way I've listed them above. But from the trailers for these movies, the best was...Lea Thompson and John Shea. Seems to have the best script of the four. I was happy to see Richard Gere (along with Susan Sarandon) in a major release, but from the trailer, I thought - seen it before...disappointing!

That said, of the non-blockbusters being released this week only the last one ("After") is going on my To See list. I love those kinds of movies and it only made my list because of the very end of the trailer (the rest of it seemed much too talky). I almost adding The Waiting Game documentary to my list, but the trailer needed to do a little bit more for me to make me give it a chance.

Here's this week's new movie releases:

Sep 12 Francine (Drama with Melissa Leo)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8g26svrseo

Sep 14 Arbitrage (Dramatic thriller with Richard Gere, Susan Sarandon and Tim Roth)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PreDvXFAoNU

Sep 14 10 Years (Romantic comedy with Channing Tatum, Rosario Dawson and Justin Long)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-k5y4bLU5X4

Sep 14 Elephant White (aka Bangkok Revenge – action thriller with Djimon Hounsou and Kevin Bacon)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0ehGzrF8T8

Sep 14 Liberal Arts (Comedy drama with Josh Radnor, Elizabeth Olsen, Allison Janney, Richard Jenkins and Zac Efron)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqIuv_JX5wM

Sep 14 The Trouble With The Truth (Drama with Lea Thompson and John Shea)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nftNSEexUXU

Sep 14 The Waiting Room (Documentary. From imdb.com: “Go behind the doors of an American public hospital struggling to care for a community of largely uninsured patients.”
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GVArrNT7MI

Sep 14 After (Thriller with Steven Strait)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2zwe-SO6rg

vCash
    Awww just found out Susan Tyrell died in June. I loved her in Flesh + Blood which is actually one of my favourite movies of all time. It is so B-Grade and delicious fun. Tyrell was a striking lady who no matter how small her role was in a film you noticed her.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by martian_girl View Post
    This trailer is awesome: I hope the movie is as good.

Peter---that docu you listed caught my eye (The Waiting Room.) I'm glad it is out before the election.

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smurfy View Post
    I just saw Lawless. It is a well made, well acted movie - well crafted movie. But they needed subtitles - it was really hard in certain parts to know what was said. Also I had not read the book, nor did my buddy. With that and the hard to understand dialogue, we both felt we missed some of the story. It was more grittier to me than the previews. I probably will try to see again once it is on cable to catch more of it.
    What was it that made it hard to understand? Poor sound recording, or overly thick accents? I watch most DVD's now with the subtitles on. Too often lines are slurred or said too quickly. Plus subtitles often include background conversation that you would not have heard over top of music, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by jl22aries View Post
    And Pitch Perfect. Rebel Wilson is AWESOME.
    I saw her on Conan and she is equally hilarious and charming. I'd go see her in anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Cachoo View Post
    I watched "The Deerhunter" again the other night for maybe the third time.
    I watched this the last year or two, very good movie. But I seem to not be able to remember how movies end!! So I googled, "how does the deerhunter end?" Found this site: ruinedendings.com. Fantastic! Now whenever I think of a movie and can't remember how it ends, I've got a place to go!

P.S. The actress who plays Linda looks SO much like Meryl Streep!

vCash
    ^ OH GOD if only I had television, for that Conan interview...!

I did see her on Jimmy Kimmel (the Kimmel posts everything on his youtube channel, sigh so good to us) and she is hilarious in that interview as well. I just think she's got a super interesting comic voice. A lot of kick ass gals in comedy who go beyond the sexy chick denominator. Lizzy Caplan, Audrey Plaza...I'd add Emma Stone too.

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    I discovered, quite by accident, The Hedgehog -- based on Muriel Barbery's novel The Elegance of the Hedgehog. A lot of people raved about the book but I simply couldn't get into it. The movie, however, I loved. I think the big difference is that the book starts with Renée, who is very hard to like until you get to know her ("the hedgehog"). The movie, however, starts with Paloma, who is instantly relatable, and tells most of the story through her eyes. Anyway, a very enjoyable film, I recommend it highly.

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jl22aries View Post
    ^ OH GOD if only I had television, for that Conan interview...!
    Checked youtube (no luck) then googled Conan and found his Team Coco website. No search feature, but there is a video section and I found this:

http://teamcoco.com/video#page=4

At the bottom are two Rebel Wilson clips. If they're not there when you check, go to page 5 as maybe new vides were added and bumped her vids to the next page.

having a nice day
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by martian_girl View Post
    at library on computer with no speakers but even without sound I hear "And the best actor award goes to Daniel Day-Lewis!!"

oh my........

having a nice day
    vCash
    took me a minute to figure out "Conan" was not "Conan the Barbarian" lol

having a nice day
    vCash
    oh and heeeelllllppppp meeee! out of curiousity I picked up "Twilight" -ruh-roh. I'm already up to "Breaking Dawn" part 1--eeeek!!!!!!!!!!

having a nice day
    vCash
    Djimon Hounsou and Kevin Bacon
    or
    Richard Gere, Susan Sarandon and Tim Roth

um.............can I watch both films at once, and then choose.......

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast