View Poll Results: Which Of These Movies Interest You? (Vote For As Many As You Like)

Voters
56. You may not vote on this poll
  • Sep. 14th - Resident Evil: Retribution (Sci-Fi adventure with Milla Jovovich and Michelle Rodriguez)

6 10.71%
  • Sep. 21st - The Perks of Being a Wallflower (Drama with Emma Watson, Dylan McDermott and Paul Rudd)

17 30.36%
  • Sep. 28th – Looper (Sci-Fi action with Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Bruce Willis and Emily Blunt)

19 33.93%
  • Sep. 28th - Won't Back Down (Drama with Viola Davis, Maggie Gyllenhaal and Holly Hunter)

10 17.86%
  • Oct. 5th - Pitch Perfect (Musical comedy with Anna Kendrick, Rebel Wilson and Brittany Snow)

18 32.14%
  • Oct. 5th - Butter (Comedy with Jennifer Garner, Hugh Jackman and Alicia Silverstone)

6 10.71%
  • Oct. 26th - Cloud Atlas (Sci-Fi mystery with Tom Hanks, Hugh Grant, Halle Berry and Jim Sturgess)

18 32.14%
  • Nov. 2nd - Flight (Drama with Denzel Washington, Don Cheadle and Melissa Leo)

12 21.43%
  • Nov. 9th - Skyfall (Adventure with Daniel Craig, Judi Dench, Ralph Fiennes and Javier Bardem)

24 42.86%
  • Nov. 16th The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn – Part 2 (Kristen Stewart and Robert Pattinson)

7 12.50%
  • Nov. 21st - Life of Pi (Adventure drama with Tobey Maguire and Gérard Depardieu)

19 33.93%
  • Nov. 21st - Red Dawn (Action with Chris Hemsworth, Josh Hutcherson and Jeffrey Dean Morgan)

10 17.86%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Some movies I've watched lately:

7/10 Frozen (2010, Shawn Ashmore, Kevin Zegers) – This one I really wanted to see, ever since it was in the theatres. Finally found it at the Vancouver Library. It’s got all the stupid pitfalls of a thriller movie, but it’s a fun popcorn-type of movie. I do wish people who make movies like this would have a read-through of the script with a bunch of friends and play, “where’s the clichés?” (and then iron out all those bugs). There aren’t AWFUL problems with the script, just some stupid stuff done by the characters. I guess those kinds of actions help build suspense though, so you just kind of have to go with it.

6/10 Strangers On A Train (1951, Farley Granger, Robert Walker) – I would have rated this one higher, but it had one of the most stupid movie endings of all time!

Spoiler

Another part of the movie is the somewhat campy nature of the evil guy. Yes Old Hollywood, we get it,

Spoiler

6/10 The Innocents (1961, Deborah Kerr) - Ben Mankiewicz hosted this on TCM and said that it flopped when it was released. It was probably too high-quality for the masses! I suppose I should give it a higher rating than 6/10 but this is about the fourth movie of late that I have seen with an ambigious ending. I’m sick and tired of the pretentious bullshit of writer/directors, who, on the DVD extras spout out, “what do YOU think happened/how do YOU think it ended?” Stop being a lazy ass and write the ending, dammit. I don’t want a freaking college English class discussion on the meaning of the movie, I just want you to tell me a story. An ENTIRE story, not one that’s missing it’s final chapter.

5/10 Lockout (2010, Guy Pearce, Maggie Grace) – If I was a 14 year old straight boy I would have given this a 10/10. I think they were successful in making the movie they wanted to, but there was a lot of stupid stuff in this movie! The CGI was uber-fake at times, but I think maybe they wanted it to look like a video game however. But Guy Pearce looks buff and purdy in a roughed out way. And Maggie Grace reprises her young damsel in distress act from the “Taken” movies. Poor kid, you shoulda behaved on the set of Lost and kept that job.

5/10 Miracle of Morgan’s Creek (1944, Betty Hutton and Eddie Bracken, written and directed by Preston Sturgess) – This is one that I read about recently in Entertainment Weekly, they made it sound wondrously cheeky in its’ subversiveness. Meh…not so much. Watched almost the whole thing at double-time. Hutton was a peach in this one, though.

5/10 The Wind (1928, silent film with Lillian Gish) – I’ve only seen about three silent films in my life, and since this one included Lillian Gish, I thought I’d give it a go. It’s pretty decent considering when it was made. I watched almost the whole thing in double-double-time, so it only took about half an hour to watch. Lars Hanson was quite handsome in this!
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    6/10 Strangers On A Train (1951, Farley Granger, Robert Walker) – I would have rated this one higher, but it had one of the most stupid movie endings of all time!

Spoiler

Another part of the movie is the somewhat campy nature of the evil guy. Yes Old Hollywood, we get it,

Spoiler

Hitchock's homophobia is on great display in Rebecca as well. It is implied that Mrs. Danvers had a serious girlcrush on Rebecca. And that creepy scene with the second Mrs. DeWinter in Rebecca's old bedroom - WTF? That's why she had to be punished.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex View Post
    Hitchock's homophobia is on great display in Rebecca as well. It is implied that Mrs. Danvers had a serious girlcrush on Rebecca. And that creepy scene with the second Mrs. DeWinter in Rebecca's old bedroom - WTF? That's why she had to be punished.
    In fairness to Hitchcock, the Daphne du Maurier novel gave one plenty to work with, as far as that went. You could argue that "Danny" won in the end, anyway, even in the film (though the author of the article I linked to doesn't go that far).
    Last edited by falling_dance; 09-09-2012 at 06:35 AM.
    I can call the moon a pear, but it doesn't make it so. -- kwanfan1818

vCash
    I am reading the book 'The best exotic Marigold hotel' and really enjoying it. I had planned on seeing this movie but it lasted in a local theater just one week. Did anyone see the movie? I am curious to know if it was good, funny, and well acted? How faithful was it to the book (the last question is for those who read the book).

vCash
    PeterG: The Innocents is an adaptation of Henry James' The Turn of the Screw IIRC, and if I also remember correctly from when I had to read that in high school, The Turn of the Screw is somewhat ambiguous as to what really happened.

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by emason View Post
    PeterG: The Innocents is an adaptation of Henry James' The Turn of the Screw IIRC, and if I also remember correctly from when I had to read that in high school, The Turn of the Screw is somewhat ambiguous as to what really happened.

Take Shelter was another one I watched recently which had an amibiguous ending. Meek's Cutoff? Who know what happened? Then last night I watched Vanishing on 7th Street with my Mom. Now, my Mom hates swearing, but when it ended, she almost said, "what the f*** was THAT about???" I'm starting to think that screenwriters don't know how to end their movie, and the solution is to "allow the viewer to make their own choice". BULLCRAP. I was too old for the "Choose Your Own Adventure" books, but whoever read those books outgrew them and moved on to material which had a beginning, a middle and an end. Stop being so lazy and finish your work before you produce it!!!

vCash
    I cannot wait to see Argo, Looper, The Master. The reviews coming in from TIFF are fantastic.

vCash
    And Pitch Perfect. Rebel Wilson is AWESOME.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    I am reading the book 'The best exotic Marigold hotel' and really enjoying it. I had planned on seeing this movie but it lasted in a local theater just one week. Did anyone see the movie? I am curious to know if it was good, funny, and well acted? How faithful was it to the book (the last question is for those who read the book).
    I saw the movie and loved it - rate it Very Good. I had not read the book. All the actors were great, as expected. Judi Dench is just amazing. I really enjoyed Tom Wilkinson as well and Dev Patel.
    My brother, who lived in New Delhi for a few years about a decade ago did not like the movie as much as me. He said it was too clean (too Hollywood)!

I just saw Lawless. It is a well made, well acted movie - well crafted movie. But they needed subtitles - it was really hard in certain parts to know what was said. Also I had not read the book, nor did my buddy. With that and the hard to understand dialogue, we both felt we missed some of the story. It was more grittier to me than the previews. I probably will try to see again once it is on cable to catch more of it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by emason View Post
    You're right. I tend to think

Spoiler

, but James really does leave it up in the air.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Nell411 View Post
    I got The Definitive Tracy & Hepburn box set for my birthday.
    I've been watching a lot of older movies thanks to TCM. But I have had to embrace the fact that I'm a child of my own generation and really do prefer movies that are coming out this millenium. So I've stopped looking at my TV Guide to see what movies are playing on the movie channels. Instead I'm going to focus on new titles from the library. That said, I saw Adam's Rib this last year and thought it was wonderful. And I just put a hold on Woman of the Year. Oops...so much for only watching new movies! Well, I guess an exception here and there is okay. (And I do have about 20 to 30 TCM movies on my DVR...)

Quote Originally Posted by DarrellH View Post
    I just can't see Daniel Day Lewis as a vampire killer.
    So they're doing a sequel? Had no idea the first one did so well!

Quote Originally Posted by agalisgv View Post
    Saw Bourne Legacy. I thought it was well done. I wonder if they'll bring the Cross/Bourne characters together in future installments.

For those who've seen it, I have a question:

Spoiler

I haven't seen it, so can't help out. But I find the message boards at imdb.com. Usually I find out what I need to know about a movie when I have questions after seeing it. Well, except for The Vanishing On 7th Street...maybe the answers for that one were there, but I gave up!! Anyway, here's a link to The Bourne Legacy's message board

Afterlife
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    I've been watching a lot of older movies thanks to TCM. But I have had to embrace the fact that I'm a child of my own generation and really do prefer movies that are coming out this millenium. So I've stopped looking at my TV Guide to see what movies are playing on the movie channels. Instead I'm going to focus on new titles from the library. That said, I saw Adam's Rib this last year and thought it was wonderful. And I just put a hold on Woman of the Year. Oops...so much for only watching new movies! Well, I guess an exception here and there is okay. (And I do have about 20 to 30 TCM movies on my DVR...)
    I watch a lot of new movies as well. But my parents raised me watching the movies they grew up with so I always get the most excited about the classics. Especially when I find a movie with one of my favourites that I haven't seen yet.

I'm watching The Lion in Winter(1968). It's one of my favourite movies. And I was wondering if anyone on here has seen the TV movie remake with Glenn Close and Patrick Stewart from 2003? I was curious about it but never got around to renting it before Blockbuster closed.
    "I think I saw what happens next It was just a glimpse of you Like looking through a window Or a shallow sea Could you see me? And after all this time It's like nothing else we used to know After all the hangers-on are done Hanging on to the dead lights Of the afterglow" Afterlife - Arcade Fire

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smurfy View Post
    I saw the movie and loved it - rate it Very Good. I had not read the book. All the actors were great, as expected. Judi Dench is just amazing. I really enjoyed Tom Wilkinson as well and Dev Patel.
    My brother, who lived in New Delhi for a few years about a decade ago did not like the movie as much as me. He said it was too clean (too Hollywood)!

I suspect they made many changes to make it like a movie. The book moves slowly, but the humor is great, so it never gets boring. If only my DVD player was not having problems, I would have rented it long ago.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Nell411 View Post
    I'm watching The Lion in Winter(1968). It's one of my favourite movies. And I was wondering if anyone on here has seen the TV movie remake with Glenn Close and Patrick Stewart from 2003? I was curious about it but never got around to renting it before Blockbuster closed.
    I LOVE that movie. Haven't seen the remake, but I can't imagine that Glenn and Patrick could do it any better than Kate and Peter.

"What family doesn't have its little ups and downs?"
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    I suspect they made many changes to make it like a movie. The book moves slowly, but the humor is great, so it never gets boring. If only my DVD player was not having problems, I would have rented it long ago.
    It (Best Exotic) is not actually out on DVD until later this month - Sept 18 to be precise.

I haven't read the book but have read others by the same author. I thought they were only meh, and hadn't planned on reading any more by her. But since I enjoyed the movie so much, I probably will read the book at some point.

BTW I found the movie predictable and formulaic ... but didn't care one bit because I was having so much fun with the characters. So many of my favourite actors on screen at once, I just let it carry me along.

vCash
    It's Fringe Festival time here in Vancouver so I've been doing the live thing ... but still managed to get in one movie over the weekend: Ratcatcher. It had been on my to-see list for a while (came out in 1999!) but was bumped up the list when I saw We Need to Talk About Kevin a couple of months ago, by the same director (Lynne Ramsay).

Anyway, Ratcatcher is sort of social realism about living in the tenements of Glasgow, told from the dreamy point of view of a 12-year-old boy. It's more slice of life than plot driven, and very, very powerful.

The one thing that bugged me, though, was the subtitles. I can understand putting in subtitles when the dialogue is so heavily accented, the Glaswegian accent is hard to parse and I'm sure a lot of viewers would have a hard time understanding much of the dialogue. However they "translated" rather than "transcribed"! When a character says "Right, that's me done," the subtitles said "All right, that's the end of the line for me." When a character says "Where's me fags?" the subtitles say "Where are my cigarettes." They even translated "wee" to "little" throughout.

Maybe that happens all the time with French and German and Spanish etc. subtitles, and I'm just not fluent in those languages to be able to tell. But I still found it really annoying, and unnecessary.

Ma name's Beckeh.
    vCash
    Sometimes there is more than one English translation on the disc. I watched The Secret World of Arietty not too long ago. It was originally a Japanese (animated) movie but the dialogue was redone in English for the American release. There were two English subtitle tracks. One was I'm guessing was a translation of the Japanese and the other was a literal transcription of the English dialogue.

For the subtitles on non-English movies, I'm sure they're paraphrases of a literal translation because literal translations usually aren't going to make sense or, at the very least, will sound 'foreign'.
    Roll Tide, y'all!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by galaxygirl View Post
    Sometimes there is more than one English translation on the disc. I watched The Secret World of Arietty not too long ago. It was originally a Japanese (animated) movie but the dialogue was redone in English for the American release. There were two English subtitle tracks. One was I'm guessing was a translation of the Japanese and the other was a literal transcription of the English dialogue.

For the subtitles on non-English movies, I'm sure they're paraphrases of a literal translation because literal translations usually aren't going to make sense or, at the very least, will sound 'foreign'.
    Well sure, when it is actually a translation, you expect it to be logical syntax. (Literal translation of Japanese into English would be pretty funny actually!)

But in the movie I was referencing, they are talking English, it's just full of local idioms. Like I say, I can understand the subtitles since many people don't have the ear for the accent. I've seen English subtitles in English films before, for heavy Geordie accents, Cockney, etc. But changing the actual dialogue is not only unnecessary in my view, but also insulting. Not to mention changing the flavour of the film. They might as well have dubbed the voices with posh English accents.

It was particularly annoying because there was no way to turn the subtitles off -- they were imbedded in the video, not optional.

Ma name's Beckeh.
    vCash
    I was responding to the part where you said 'Maybe that happens all the time in French and German... '. I thought you were referring to English subtitles of those languages.
    Last edited by galaxygirl; 09-10-2012 at 11:59 PM. Reason: Damn you autocorrect!
    Roll Tide, y'all!

vCash
    Subtitles are almost always paraphrases of the dialogue. One reason is usually the dialogue is more than can be comfortably read in the time allowable, so it's cut down and simplified to communicate what's necessary.

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast