View Poll Results: Which Of These Movies Interest You? (Vote For As Many As You Like)

Voters
56. You may not vote on this poll
  • Sep. 14th - Resident Evil: Retribution (Sci-Fi adventure with Milla Jovovich and Michelle Rodriguez)

6 10.71%
  • Sep. 21st - The Perks of Being a Wallflower (Drama with Emma Watson, Dylan McDermott and Paul Rudd)

17 30.36%
  • Sep. 28th – Looper (Sci-Fi action with Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Bruce Willis and Emily Blunt)

19 33.93%
  • Sep. 28th - Won't Back Down (Drama with Viola Davis, Maggie Gyllenhaal and Holly Hunter)

10 17.86%
  • Oct. 5th - Pitch Perfect (Musical comedy with Anna Kendrick, Rebel Wilson and Brittany Snow)

18 32.14%
  • Oct. 5th - Butter (Comedy with Jennifer Garner, Hugh Jackman and Alicia Silverstone)

6 10.71%
  • Oct. 26th - Cloud Atlas (Sci-Fi mystery with Tom Hanks, Hugh Grant, Halle Berry and Jim Sturgess)

18 32.14%
  • Nov. 2nd - Flight (Drama with Denzel Washington, Don Cheadle and Melissa Leo)

12 21.43%
  • Nov. 9th - Skyfall (Adventure with Daniel Craig, Judi Dench, Ralph Fiennes and Javier Bardem)

24 42.86%
  • Nov. 16th The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn – Part 2 (Kristen Stewart and Robert Pattinson)

7 12.50%
  • Nov. 21st - Life of Pi (Adventure drama with Tobey Maguire and Gérard Depardieu)

19 33.93%
  • Nov. 21st - Red Dawn (Action with Chris Hemsworth, Josh Hutcherson and Jeffrey Dean Morgan)

10 17.86%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
    Afterlife
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    I tend to think, how much better would those earlier Spider-Man movies have been if they had cast anyone other than Maguire? Seriously, has he been good in anything? Even The Cider House Rules was a lesser movie because of his presence. I haven't seen Sea Biscuit. Will I eat my words because he was the best thing about this movie??
    Jeff Bridges and Chris Cooper are both in Seabiscuit. I think Jeff Bridges at his weakest (Tron 2 perhaps?) is still better than Maguire. I've only seen Adaptation and The Muppets for Chris Cooper. But as he was hilarious as the villian in The Muppets I'm inclined to think it would be easy for him to out act Maguire as well.
    "I think I saw what happens next It was just a glimpse of you Like looking through a window Or a shallow sea Could you see me? And after all this time It's like nothing else we used to know After all the hangers-on are done Hanging on to the dead lights Of the afterglow" Afterlife - Arcade Fire

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Jennifer Lawrence, Jessica Chastain, and Marion Cotillard top the 10 best-actress contenders

The 10 listed in the above article:

Jennifer Lawrence ("Silver Linings Playbook")

Jessica Chastain ("Zero Dark Thirty")

Marion Cotillard ("Rust and Bone")

Keira Knightley ("Anna Karenina")

Emmanuelle Riva ("Amour")

Judi Dench ("The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel")

Quvenzhane Wallis ("Beasts of the Southern Wild")

Naomi Watts ("The Impossible")

Mary Elizabeth Winstead ("Smashed")

Laura Linney ("Hyde Park on Hudson")

Hmm, my interest in "The Impossible" begins. In addition to Naomi Watts, it stars Ewan McGregor and Geraldine Page. Here is the trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bgw394ZKsis
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    My viewings over the past week or so:

Detachment - Adrian Brody and a great cast of supporting actors (and the most I've enjoyed Brody since The Pianist). Not an original theme -- how people are connected and disconnected -- but very well executed. Also probably the most realistic depiction of teaching in an improvrished school since Teachers.

The Ambassador - Mads Brügger's gonzo journalism piece about corruption in central African countries. I'm still not sure how I feel about this film. The fact that this corruption exists is hardly news. The fact that anyone can buy diplomatic status is somewhat eye-opening, but he doesn't take that anywhere. Mostly I was put off by how he seemed to be a full and willing participant in the corruption and even perpetrating his own exploitation of the locals. Still, it's quite fascinating to witness this journey, so on that level alone it's worth watching.

Thin Ice -- mildly entertaining and diverting caper film, but nothing special.

Deep Blue Sea -- Another perfect example of a play that should never have been adapted to film. Rachel Weisz, Simon Russell Beale, and Tom Hiddleston all do what they can with the material, but it just doesn't work on screen. At least not in this version. It's actually quite amazing how consistent Rattigan is in taking rich stage scripts and turning them into dry and plodding films -- and still find work. Bleaagh.

vCash

Hmm, my interest in "The Impossible" begins. In addition to Naomi Watts, it stars Ewan McGregor and Geraldine Page. Here is the trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bgw394ZKsis
    Um, wishful thinking on Geraldine Page? I think it's Geraldine Chaplin, actually.

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    i was about to post that i was so excited that geraldine page was still alive, oh well
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    They're not the same person??

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    4/10 - The Sting – I grabbed this one of the shelf at the library, not remembering if I had ever seen it before. Was really looking forward to watching Newman and Redford on screen together. My one word review for this movie? BORING! I watched this one like “J. Edgar”…over a week or so in three or four sittings. Took a lot of effort to get through this one. “Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid” is one I haven’t seen since forever…I take it that it is much better than The Sting??
    Well, you're definitely in the minority there.

The Sting ends up on many people's lists of best movies of all time -- including mine. Not because it's any great work of art, but just from a pure entertainment standpoint. For me it was less about Newman & Redford, and more about the amazing support cast, and of course the cleverness of the con-artist plotline(s). The latter maybe somewhat dated by now, but at the time it was pure genius. I watched the movie again recently, and thought it still held up. But then, I am a sucker for grifter stories, particularly the ones where the mark deserves to get fleeced.

I enjoyed Butch & Sundance too, but not nearly as much as The Sting. However that's a personal preference thing -- I tend not care much about anything even remotely in the Western genre.

Afterlife
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Artemis@BC View Post
    Well, you're definitely in the minority there.

The Sting ends up on many people's lists of best movies of all time -- including mine. Not because it's any great work of art, but just from a pure entertainment standpoint. For me it was less about Newman & Redford, and more about the amazing support cast, and of course the cleverness of the con-artist plotline(s). The latter maybe somewhat dated by now, but at the time it was pure genius. I watched the movie again recently, and thought it still held up. But then, I am a sucker for grifter stories, particularly the ones where the mark deserves to get fleeced.

I enjoyed Butch & Sundance too, but not nearly as much as The Sting. However that's a personal preference thing -- I tend not care much about anything even remotely in the Western genre.
    I love The Sting. But I've always found the last third of the movie really slow. Everything seems to start to drag right when it should be amping up. It picks up in the last 10 minutes, but I always feel like something is missing from it right as it ends.
    "I think I saw what happens next It was just a glimpse of you Like looking through a window Or a shallow sea Could you see me? And after all this time It's like nothing else we used to know After all the hangers-on are done Hanging on to the dead lights Of the afterglow" Afterlife - Arcade Fire

having a nice day
    vCash
    MUST SEE (imo lol) Mads Mikkelson in "Valhalla Rising." I've had it checked out 2 wks now, can't renew, and for the first time in such a long time I can't remember how long it's actually been, I am not going to return it by its due date. Eys! It's_ That_Good. like nothing I've ever seen. too, I'm really really enjoying the Scottish accents. And Mads is grrrrreat, really great. I put him and his one-eye acting up against
    Daniel Day-Lewis any day, whee!

Left in the Kiss-n-Cry
    vCash
    Jennifer Lawrence, Jessica Chastain, and Marion Cotillard top the 10 best-actress contenders

Laura Linney ("Hyde Park on Hudson")

Hmm, my interest in "The Impossible" begins.
    I thought the buzz on "Hyde Park on Hudson" had pretty much tapered off to nothing after the lukewarm reception it got at the Toronto Film Festival? "The Impossible' has gotten a lot of good buzz, but word of mouth is it is also very bleak.

I'm guessing Helen Hunt is going to slide in the supporting race for "The Sessions"? I haven't seen that yet, but I really want to catch it.
    I meant to take the high road.... but I missed the exit.

vCash
    I just watched John Ford's The Grapes of Wrath. It has been a long time since I watched it as a schoolgirl. I think the film is still wonderful.

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Interesting. I don't recommend any of the smaller releases this week. But I did put them in order of what seems like might be the best ones to see. (Hope that makes sense, it's been a long day! )

November 9 A Royal Affair (Historical romance. From imdb.com: “A young queen, who is married to an insane king, falls secretly in love with her physician - and together they start a revolution that changes a nation forever.”)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RiHnVMHk6YU

November 9 Dangerous Liasions (Drama with Zi-Yi Zhang [Memoir Of A Geisha, Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon])
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cvr0SoL7Au4

November 9 LUV (Drama with Common, Charles S. Dutton and Danny Glover)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyvfVyV1eq0

November 9 In Their Skin (Thriller with Selma Blair)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRAW6jKKC8k

November 9 Nature Calls (Comedy with Johnny Knoxville, Patton Oswalt and Maura Tierney)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nmsv1fh3EU

November 9 In Another Country (Drama with Isabelle Huppert)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqfPTpw4yXc

November 9 Christmas in Compton (Comedy)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCpDHkkXPO4

vCash
    I saw a Royal Affair in my preview movie club. I really liked it, well done costume period piece, great acting. I love British history, and do not know that much Danish history. I enjoyed learning about the siste of George Iii who married the Danish king. Interesting story about the reforms with a love affair.

Loving on babies!
    vCash
    Saw "Argo" and "Flight" in the last few weeks. "Argo" is fantastic, through and through....and was proof that on those rare occasions, Ben Affleck can act as well as he directs. Huge amount of brilliant supporting cast members. "Flight"....first 20 minutes were worth the ticket cost for anyone who likes action, for sure....the next hour and half or so was brilliant, unsettling, disturbing, introspective, deep and heartrenching at times....the last 15 or so minutes, total Hollywood flash and crap. Just really felt like the ending was not really realistic, and didn't live up to the rest of the movie. Interestingly, John Goodman was in each of these movies (not known to me or being a reason to me to go see them) and was totally fantastic in each.
    I am free of all prejudices. I hate everyone equally.~W. C. Fields

vCash
    I agree Kasey. Flight started out well but got really cheesy by the end. Too bad because I thought Denzel Washington was really great in it.

vCash
    Screened "Lincoln" last night.

After barely making through "Cloud Atlas" last month, I didn't know if I could handle another 2.5 hour movie. Daniel Day Lewis was brilliant, as was Tommy Lee Jones and James Spader. I was expecting a sweeping civil war epic, but it was the opposite. The fighting took place in the House, not the battlefields. There was a nice bit of humor too (thanks to Spader).

I saw "Anna Karenina" a month ago and have to revisit my notes. I didn't love it ... it was more a play than a movie, despite the beautiful costumes and sets. I love British period pieces, and this lacked the Russian "feel" I was expecting.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DarrellH View Post
    I want to see Lincoln, but wonder about Sally Field as Mary Todd. If she turns to Eliza Johnson at the cemetary and says she just wants to "hit something...hit something hard", I will just lose it in the theater!
    She basically played Nora Walker ... but in 19th century dresses. She did have a great White House reception scene though.

vCash
    Saw Chaplin's City Lights with a live symphony orchestra and a packed crowd at our historic theatre. It was AMAZING. Chaplin is extraordinary any day, but the combination of the world class orchestra and the captivated crowd...this is what movie going at its best can be like. During the boxing scene, in the span of 10 seconds there were laughs, a collective "oh no", and then a gasp. Loved it.

vCash
    Watched Company Men with Ben Affleck and Kevin Costner. Costner's Bahhhstahhn accent was wicked shitty, yessih...but it was one of Affleck's better recent performances.

Left in the Kiss-n-Cry
    vCash
    I saw "Silver Linings Playbook" at the St. Louis Film Festival last night. I lurved it!

DeNiro looks like a lock for a supporting Oscar nod, but the revalation to me was Jennifer Lawrence, who I know got tons of buzz for "Winter's Bone," but who I felt got upstaged by all the good character acting in that movie. (I thought she was okay in "The Hunger Games," but not amazing... and actually pretty damn awful in the "X Men" prequel). Anyway, I found her completely compelling and believable. With the Weinsteins behind this movie, I expect loads of Oscar noms.

"Lincoln" opens limited today and wide next week. Talk about counterprogramming against "Skyfall" and that vampire movie I have no intention of ever seeing. The NYTimes review is glowing: http://movies.nytimes.com/2012/11/09...eid=auto&_r=1& and A.O. Scott is not one to normally glow about recent Spielberg movies.
    I meant to take the high road.... but I missed the exit.

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast