View Poll Results: Which Of These Movies Interest You? (Vote For As Many As You Like)

Voters
56. You may not vote on this poll
  • Sep. 14th - Resident Evil: Retribution (Sci-Fi adventure with Milla Jovovich and Michelle Rodriguez)

6 10.71%
  • Sep. 21st - The Perks of Being a Wallflower (Drama with Emma Watson, Dylan McDermott and Paul Rudd)

17 30.36%
  • Sep. 28th – Looper (Sci-Fi action with Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Bruce Willis and Emily Blunt)

19 33.93%
  • Sep. 28th - Won't Back Down (Drama with Viola Davis, Maggie Gyllenhaal and Holly Hunter)

10 17.86%
  • Oct. 5th - Pitch Perfect (Musical comedy with Anna Kendrick, Rebel Wilson and Brittany Snow)

18 32.14%
  • Oct. 5th - Butter (Comedy with Jennifer Garner, Hugh Jackman and Alicia Silverstone)

6 10.71%
  • Oct. 26th - Cloud Atlas (Sci-Fi mystery with Tom Hanks, Hugh Grant, Halle Berry and Jim Sturgess)

18 32.14%
  • Nov. 2nd - Flight (Drama with Denzel Washington, Don Cheadle and Melissa Leo)

12 21.43%
  • Nov. 9th - Skyfall (Adventure with Daniel Craig, Judi Dench, Ralph Fiennes and Javier Bardem)

24 42.86%
  • Nov. 16th The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn – Part 2 (Kristen Stewart and Robert Pattinson)

7 12.50%
  • Nov. 21st - Life of Pi (Adventure drama with Tobey Maguire and Gérard Depardieu)

19 33.93%
  • Nov. 21st - Red Dawn (Action with Chris Hemsworth, Josh Hutcherson and Jeffrey Dean Morgan)

10 17.86%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Anyone seen Loopers yet? It's getting amazing reviews so far?

vCash
    I want to see it but can't stand Bruce Willis anymore.
    “Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.” William Shakespeare

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by falling_dance View Post
    Adele, "Skyfall".

I quite like it.
    I like it too. She has the right voice for a Bond theme song -- good choice.

A couple of weeks ago, a local radio journalist posted his pick of the best 007 Bond Songs. I agree with most of his picks, if not the order -- tho even after only 1 listen I'd put Adele in before the Duran Duran one!

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Artemis@BC View Post
    The first was Monsieur Lazhar...7/10
    They are showing this at my local library soon, so I might go to watch it with others. They do free showings of movies they hold, so they're shown for free but people can discuss it afterwards, so that's cool. Unfortunately it's not an organized discussion, so sometimes people head home shortly after it finished and that makes the discussion somewhat limited!

The second was Starbuck...9/10
    Wow, 9/10! That's not on my list. I think Patrick Huard is gorgeous, so I think I'll add it just to be able to ogle him for an hour and a half! I really liked "Funkytown" which he starred in right before Starbuck.

Peter, I got it from the Burnaby library. Doesn't Vancouver have it yet? ETA: just checked online, and VPL has 22 copies with a current queue of 104. But maybe you're not in Vancouver proper ...
    I'm out in the burbs so I use the Fraser Valley system. I do use many other library systems for stuff that the FVRL does not carry.
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    I just saw Pitch Perfect today. LOVED IT!!! It's one of those movies where you can go over all the wonderful one-liners as you're leaving the theatre. What an amazing script! Surprised to find that there was only one writer: Kay Cannon. According to imdb.com, she's written twelve episodes of 30 Rock and one episode of New Girl as well. (She's done more producing for those shows as well.) Of course, a brilliant script doesn't make a hit movie without good performances. And Pitch Perfect has those in spades. Rebel Wilson is my new crush. I so want to be her new BFF!!! Hana Mae Lee could also be a break-out star and Skylar Astin is my new crush. (Please don't tell anybody he's about half my age...) And if that's not enough of a recommendation, I think this comedy might have worked as a musical if the comedy got taken out. Can't remember the last time I couldn't help but tap my foot along to the musical numbers. Can't wait for part two!!

The trailer for The Guilt Trip (Seth Rogan, Barbra Streisand) is out. The release date is December 25th and I can't wait to see Streisand again on the big screen! Plus, according to imdb.com, Streisand will be directing a romance about Margaret Bourke-White and her husband starring... (wait for it!!!) ... Cate Blanchett and Colin Firth! Oh lord, this is too much for this gay...!!!

Also out on December 25th is Parental Guidance, Billy Crystal's first major role since 2002 and Bette Midler's first role since 2008. Gotta admit the trailer paled in comparison to The Guilt Trip's trailer. But could be good anyway. It also stars Marisa Tomei and Tom Everett Scott as well as young Bailee Madison who stole the show in Brothers and Just Go With It (she also played/plays Young Snow White in TV's Once Upon A Time).

vCash
    Saw Looper. Willis has still got it. Doesn't hurt that his character is MILD SPOILER just badass. And how can you not love JGL in everything he does? There were a couple scenes that I found uncomfortably disturbing, visuals which will stick with me for a while. It's absolutely mandatory to suspend your disbelief for this time travel adventure if you're to enjoy it, (although, for the astro geeks, I felt the temporal logic made sense within the context of the story if you think about it in terms of the 4th and 5th dimensions theories).

Then saw Amour at a film fest. I had to self soothe like nobody's business in the theatre to prevent the "ugly cry". Beautiful story and performances, about a happily married couple in their 80s and coping with dementia. And it was a captivated full house, which aways makes such a big difference to the "movie going experience".

Celebrating Jeremy Abbott's FS at 2014 Worlds...
    vCash
    I don't recall seeing this posted yet (apologies if it has), but here's the trailer for the Peter Jackson-produced/Amy Berg-direct documentary for

West of Memphis

about the trial (or make that "trial"), conviction, Alford Plea/release, and the utter miscarriage of justice of the West Memphis Three.

If you're familiar with the case, it's more of less similar to the HBO Paradise Lost Trilogy of documentaries, but it's condensed into one movie (the P3 has a ton of repeat information in all three), plus a bunch of added info and interviews.

It looks to be incredible. Then again, I've followed this case since 1993 (it started with curiosity and turned to outrage over how the trial was handled), so I may not be the most objective of judges.

Those who feel the WM3 were rightfully convicted will despise this; those who believe they are innocent/were rail-roaded by an over-zealous prosecution and lynch-mob mentality will love it.

Given that I cannot stand Johnnny Depp for his disdain of the US, pretentious snootniness, and political stances, it says a lot that I commend him for his involvement with the organization/movement to see justice done correctly on this case. The Alford Plea allowed Echols, Baldwin, and Misskelley to be released for time served by pleading guilty while professing their innocence, so while the case is technically "closed" (according to the State of Arkansas, who doesn't want to admit they were wrong and deal with massive egg on their faces, especially the DA/prosecuting attorney who is now a Judge), it's far from over.

I'll shut up now before I go on a massive rant about this case . Just watch the trailer and, if you're interested, go see the movie (schedule for theatrical release in the US on 25/12/12. I know what I'll be doing on Christmas Day ).
    "Meryl is from a magic planet where Disney princesses come from, and [Charlie's] hair is a magic carpet." ~~ Stephen Colbert, on The Colbert Report

ridin my horse named Bob
    vCash
    free redbox movie was "The Avengers." Throughly enjoyed it-twice!
    on hold: "Captain America"
    Highly recommend: "Flame and Citron"-if you can't get that, get "After the Wedding."
    Run far far away from "The Man From London" unless you WANT a movie that will put you to sleep. Every blurb on the box--well, those people are insane! or else they got a different version of the movie than I did!

How many film s per week pour moi? well, I can check out 4 at a time, I could watch many more but 1) I can't get hold of them, and 2) pretty sure my eyeballs would fall out if I I tried to watch amny more. It took my dearest luv Jean Dujardin to get me to come up with $7.50 to go see his subliiiiiime performance in "The Artist." other than that, I haven't been inside a movie "theatre" for yeeeeeeears. the "theatres" are way hella not what they used to be- LOL not even CLOSE!

vCash
    I saw 'A Royal Affair' in my preview movie club. Danish movie about English Princess Caroline Mathilde marrying King Christian VII of Denmark, reform movement, both of the couples relationship with Dr. Struensee. Lovely period drama, beautiful costumes. I really loved the movie, pacing a little slow at times, but worth it. Mads Mikkelson plays the dr- great actor from After the Wedding.

vCash
    I heard about Looper through a friend. Now I want to see it.

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    (Smaller) movies opening this week (with comments to follow):

Oct-12 Atlas Shrugged: Part II (drama with Esai Morales, Jason Beghe, Paul McCrane, D. B. Sweeney and Arye Gross)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AF9QT43uDQU

Oct-12 Special Forces (French war drama with Diane Kruger and Djimon Hounsou)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ke3ZSQe8SiM

Oct-12 Grave Encounters 2 (horror, unknown cast)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WiIIKSRHuyU

Oct-12 Least Among Saints (drama with Laura San Giacomo, Taylor Kinney and Charles S. Dutton)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlZOfXTFrrg

Oct-12 Middle of Nowhere (drama with new cast with Sharon Lawrence)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4784pqb1oqw

Oct-12 Simon & The Oaks (Swedish drama: “Two boys come of age in Sweden during World War II.”)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80_L_LsOexE

Oct-12 Smashed (comedy drama with Aaron Paul, Mary Elizabeth Winstead, Octavia Spencer, Megan Mullally and Mary Kay Place)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uv48b4cpLCA

Oct-12 Smiley (horror, new cast) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11yBPx-ymZA

Oct-12 Split: A Deeper Divide (political documentary “a riveting investigation into the partisanship paralyzing our politics that looks beyond the bitter rancor to reveal the truth of why our country is more polarized and our politics more gridlocked than at any other time in recent memory.”)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oi6O8FmgWoc

Oct-12 Stories We Tell (family documentary: “Filmmaker Sarah Polley interviews members of her family as they look back on decades-old events.”)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4dyf6kI48A

The movie that most interests me is "Split: A Deeper Divide". It looks like it might take a balanced look at maybe the most important issue in the U.S.A. these days, not to mention many other countries. So many documentaries nowadays don't seem to come from a neutral perspective. Which can be interesting, but some topics need for of a balanced view. So I have high hopes for this one.

So I goofed up as I'm pretty sure I did not include the first Grave Encounters in our movie thread last year. How could I have missed it?? So I have not added the sequel to me To See list, but I did add part one. It looks like silly fun. Plus it stars some hot guys.

A number of the movies on this list grabbed my interest, but the trailers didn't do quite enough to make me think, "I have to see this!" The biggest disappointment in this regard is the Sarah Polley documentary about her family. The trailer is not bad, it's just not great. It's pretty simple/nice which is cool, but I needed something bigger to make me commit to it. Sounds like an interesting idea, though.

vCash
    Is 'Atlas Shrugged part II' based on the Ayn Rand novel?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    Is 'Atlas Shrugged part II' based on the Ayn Rand novel?
    Yes.
    I can call the moon a pear, but it doesn't make it so. -- kwanfan1818

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by orbitz View Post
    How many movies do you guys average per month? I don't seem to have the attention span to devote 2 hours to an entire film, LOL. The last film I paid for saw a film was "The Avengers" and the one prior to that was "Thor".
    Some weeks I see maybe five and like last week, after being busy with volunteering and the new TV season, I think I watched only one. I actually have seven movies from the library sitting on top of my TV that I've watched about 1/4 to 1/2 so far (of each). I will finish them eventually! (So if you don't have a great attention span, this is an option! Some movies seem to warrant watching in one sitting and others seem best consumed in bits and pieces...my humble opinion. )

Watched Angel's Crest last night. Despite the amateurish feel there was some nice stuff in it ... but holy carp is it depressing. I had to watch an episode of Big Bang Theory to recover.
    I get how you can feel that way for sure. But to me, when a movie is done so well, and the tone is about enlightening us to the world around to us (instead of dumping one's trouble on an audience), it doesn't depress me. It's like the movie made me think more about my life and what I'd do in enough situations that I'll be better off having watching this movie. So I wasn't depressed having watched this one.

vCash
    Cloud Atlas looks dazzling in the previews---I don't know much about it but like the upcoming Gatsby film sometimes I want to go for the visuals alone and hope the screenplay/acting is up to the task.

vCash
    Just saw ARGO and it is Ben Afleck's best movie since Good Will Hunting. Wonderful movie and 9/10 from me.
    “Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.” William Shakespeare

vCash

ctor

Just watched Here and There with David Thornton, AKA Mr. Cyndi Lauper. It's set in New York and Belgrade, an offbeat love story. Highly reccommended.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    Just saw ARGO and it is Ben Afleck's best movie since Good Will Hunting. Wonderful movie and 9/10 from me.
    Awesome! I'm planning to see it tomorrow. Looks like a great cast as well.

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lacey View Post
    Have you already talked elsewhere on this thread about Beasts of the Southern Wild.
    We did talk about this movie, I think in the previous thread. I think the majority of us want to see this movie. I'm going to wait to see it on DVD (I only see movies in the theatre about once or twice per season, mainly for special get-togethers with my friend Arnold). I'm looking forward to being delighted!

Quote Originally Posted by Cyn View Post
    I don't recall seeing this posted yet (apologies if it has), but here's the trailer for the Peter Jackson-produced/Amy Berg-direct documentary for

West of Memphis
    I saw the first Paradise Lost movie, and the second one as well (although it's still on my To See list...think I forgot to delete it!). But I want to see this one too (as well as Paradise Lost 3) as the topic is so interesting. The whole story is a major catastrophe for both the law enforcement and judicial systems.

Quote Originally Posted by falling_dance View Post
    Adele, "Skyfall".

I quite like it.
    I like it, but I think Adele could put out pretty much anything these days and I would like it. That said, I think that most Bond songs from the last ten to twenty years try really hard to be a Bond song rather than simply be a good song. "Nobody Does It Better" and "For Your Eyes Only" don't really sound like "Bond songs" to me, they're just really great pop songs. I don't think that "Skyfall" stands up to any of the singles Adele has released previously. It will be interesting to see how it does on the charts. And if it even becomes an official single release.

Briber of judges
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    I saw the movie today as well and it was excellent. Definitely one of the best movies of the year.

Alan Arkin seems like a shoo in for another supporting actor Oscar nomination.
    I meant to take the high road.... but I missed the exit.

Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast