Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Rumor: Sui / Han injured

Chinese forums are reporting that Wenjing Sui is recently injured, off the ice for at least several months... Does anyone have more details?

vCash
    yeah I read some translations from baidu site, I will translate more...
    I dont know yet maybe growth spurt related ?

Briber of judges
    vCash
    Hopefully it is nothing serious, but if she must remain off the ice for several months, it doesn't sound too good. I was really looking forward to seeing their programs on the GP this season.
    I meant to take the high road.... but I missed the exit.

vCash
    more news....

apparently yes they will be out for months ( 2-5 months out for recovery )

Sui got injured doing their practice of more difficult elements their main goal now is 2013 World Championships and 4CC, they might not participate in GP, poor girl, hope the growth spurt didnt cause much of this

will this cause red alert for China's 3 spots for Pairs in Sochi ?
    they have the aging P/T and the new team of Hao/Cheng, there is still Y/J from juniors though
    Last edited by love_skate2011; 08-27-2012 at 07:36 PM.

vCash
    Hope she will feel better soon. Poor girl Thanks for information, love_skate2011.

Title-less
    vCash
    Not that I know what causes her injury, but I cannot help but think what all the quad practices did to her body.

vCash
    The injury is epiphyseal inflammation.

according to http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1879826/

"The epiphyses and epiphyseal plates are vital structures in the bone development of the growing athlete. The epiphyseal plate is two to five times weaker than the surrounding fibrous tissue in children and adolescents. Two types of epiphyseal injury that are common in the growing athlete are (a) separation across the epiphyseal plate, which is usually produced by a direct blow to the joint area or by a strong muscular contraction, and (b) traumatic epiphysitis, the more common of the two, which is usually caused by strong, repetitive contraction of a muscle attached to a traction epiphysis.

Each epiphyseal site has specific anatomic features and the forces causing injury differ slightly at each site. An improperly treated separation of an intra-articular pressure epiphysis can have a disastrous effect on the proper functioning of the normally well-fitted articulation of bone ends in the joint. Consequently, proper diagnosis and treatment are essential.

Traumatic epiphysitis can result in chronic inflammation or fragmentation, or both, if the condition is not arrested. Therefore the athlete must discontinue the activities that are causing the trauma until the inflammation is completely arrested. Absolute rest may even be required."
    Last edited by euterpe; 08-27-2012 at 07:54 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by love_skate2011 View Post
    more news....

apparently yes they will be out for months ( 2-5 months out for recovery )

Sui got injured doing their practice of more difficult elements their main goal now is 2013 World Championships and 4CC, they might not participate in GP, poor girl, hope the growth spurt didnt cause much of this

will this cause red alert for China's 3 spots for Pairs in Sochi ?
    they have the aging P/T and the new team of Hao/Cheng, there is still Y/J from juniors though
    Did she have a big growth spurt? I was looking forward to their programs but she is so young, health is the first priority at this moment. I hope she is better real soon. Maybe by 4CC or Worlds they will back on track.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by euterpe View Post
    The injury is epiphyseal inflammation.
    What exactly is the source of this?

living every minute
    vCash
    Epiphyseal inflammation If you google for it, there's an article about young athletes Seems that repetition of stress on the area which is weaker than most of the bone can cause the inflammation. So jumping and landing throws could cause it.

The area is also called the "growth plate" - an area of new bone growth which is not as solid as the bone it will become.

The important bit is at the end:

Therefore the athlete must discontinue the activities that are causing the trauma until the inflammation is completely arrested. Absolute rest may even be required.
    Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. Plato

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by love_skate2011 View Post
    will this cause red alert for China's 3 spots for Pairs in Sochi ? they have the aging P/T and the new team of Hao/Cheng, there is still Y/J from juniors though
    They werent a lock to keep 3 spots regardless. Of their top 4 teams, whichever end up going to Worlds, out of the 3 you mentioned plus Sui & Han of course, none are likely to be on the podium (maybe a very outside shot at the bronze for 1 or 2 of them) and none are certain to be top 5.

vCash
    Well, given their coach focuses almost exclusively on the jumps, epiphyseal inflammation could be an effect of that. :/

Who will replace them on the GP?

vCash
    They were assigned to COC and NHK. I wonder if the CHN federation will pick any of their lesser senior teams, or will they decide to promote Yu/Jin to the Senior Grand Prix.

As for NHK, Im betting again on Gerboldt/Enbert or Hausch/Wende, it can't be an USA team sincer there are already three of them entered. All the comeback/split top 10 couples alreagy got 2 events.

vCash
    Sorry to hear about this news. I just hope she can recover soon. Health is the most important thing.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SamuraiK View Post
    They were assigned to COC and NHK. I wonder if the CHN federation will pick any of their lesser senior teams, or will they decide to promote Yu/Jin to the Senior Grand Prix.
    Given their 'saving face' approach, they probably won't. And Yu/Jin are better off doing two JGP events and JGP final, aren't they?

So it'll be Gerboldt/Enbert and Hausch/Wende maybe for the two spots?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SamuraiK View Post
    They could send Wenting Wang/Yan Zhang who were 4th at nationals scoring 147.10. They competed late last spring so should still be together and should be 15/24 so age eligible.

vCash
    Aww... hope Sui heals well and fast. Must be a big disappointment for China since Sui and Han are potential successors.

vCash
    I hope Sui recovers well, but my main concern is that the Chinese fed might try to rush her recovery and put her back on the ice too soon, hoping that isn't the case.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DaiKozOda View Post
    Sorry to hear about this news. I just hope she can recover soon. Health is the most important thing.
    So true! Wishing her a full recovery. She should take the time she needs to fully recover. I hope she isn't pressed by the Chinese federation to return too soon.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by paskatefan View Post
    I hope she isn't pressed by the Chinese federation to return too soon.
    which will be very likely
    with 2013 Worlds being so crucial for Chinese pairs and retain 3 spots

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast