Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Erin View Post
    I think the worst example I saw of this was a woman who was telling me about the tragedy of never getting her wedding photos because her photographer committed suicide after the wedding...that there was a point where she thought that the photographer's ex-husband was going to be able to get them for her, but that fell through, etc, etc. This woman went on and on about the picture situation without a word of sympathy for the suicide or the loved ones...all I could hear was ME ME ME.
    That is terribly sad and tragic, and your friend is a cad for not expressing sympathy. But ... I would be extremely upset not to get my wedding pictures, too.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by vesperholly View Post
    That is terribly sad and tragic, and your friend is a cad for not expressing sympathy. But ... I would be extremely upset not to get my wedding pictures, too.
    Just to clarify, this woman is not my friend. (Friend of a friend and we were both at an event at the mutual friend's house.)

And yes, it would be sad to not get wedding pictures and I would be upset about it if it happened to me. But I think if it happened to me, I'd only mention what happened if asked and try to drop the subject. She brought it up unasked to a group of mostly strangers and went on and on about it, making it all about her. That's very different than just being upset about not getting the pictures.

vCash
    I'd be pissed off if I didn't get the wedding photos either, enough to make me irrational and say it to a bunch of strangers, and I don't believe that I'm particularly narcissistic
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

vCash
    Well... I think it depends. If, in the course of a wedding-related conversation, you say, "Our wedding photographer committed suicide and as much as that sucks, I'm kind of disappointed we didn't get our wedding photos..." it's a little bit better than "how DARE he commit suicide and screw with MY perfect wedding!"

vCash
    When my friend got married, I thought she had a great idea - she asked one of her close friends to be her "photographer's assistant". She had hired a photographer, but had given her friend a list of the "must have" photos that she wanted taken. Must have photos were mainly making sure all family members were photographed, especially those who came a great distance, and other things she especially wanted.

It wasn't a huge list and it wasn't narcissistic in her case (as she hated photos of herself anyway), but she did want to make sure certain photos weren't missed, and this alleviated her of the stress of taking care of it herself.

And the wedding photographer loved it. She remarked she had never had that, and wished it was more common to help her on her assignments.
    Give me one more quiet night, before this loud morning gets it right, and does me in.
    ~DC

vCash

vCash
    That blog was a bigger waste of time than any engagement photo I've had to endure from friends and family.
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

vCash
    Awful tragedy. Why not donate the dress to a charity and take the tax deduction? My mom worked really hard on the alterations and beading on my dress. Even if my DD never wears it, it would be disrespectful to "trash" it. Not to mention foolish, irresponsible, narcissistic and wasteful. I guess I'm old school cuz I just don't get it. No kid of mine is going to trash anything, let alone a wedding dress; don't care who paid for it!
    "awwww....shades of Janet Lynn" - Dick Button on anyone who makes more than one mistake in their program.

vCash
    A typewriter as the guest book? That is an AWESOME idea, haha, and I don't care if it's cliche!

vCash
    WAIT. OMG. AM I IN THE ENGAGEMENT PHOTOS THREAD??!

Crap, I am so sorry - this was meant to go in the Gabby Douglas thread. Could a kind mod please move mine and skittl1321's posts

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mkats View Post

Crap, I am so sorry - this was meant to go in the Gabby Douglas thread. Could a kind mod please move mine and skittl1321's posts
    Talk about major thread drift.
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

vCash
    ROFTL - since the thread opened automatically to the latest post, I didn't even realize myself this was the engagement photos and not Gabby Douglas.

But seriously, I'm sorry and horrified this happened mkats (and so recently ago to boot).

And back on topic, also very sorry for the bride to have died in such a senseless way. From what I understand she'd panicked and kept pulling the photographer in so he couldn't save her. Very tragic.

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mkats View Post

Done
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

Sending my thoughts and prayers to the people of Elliott Lake :(
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by numbers123 View Post
    There are some volunteers for NICUs who take donated wedding gowns and make burial clothing for infants who have died in the NICU. While it sounds macabre, it is really appreciated by the families. Most are in shock and are in deep grief states. The cost of burying an infant isn't nearly what it is for adults, but you would be surprised at the cost. Someone donating a beautiful gown for you to do this/take pictures or have a memory of someones generosity means a great deal to those parents. One wedding gown can make many premie gowns. Your dress is used for good and not for the landfill.

But genevieve is right - it is a sign of the ME, ME, ME mentality.
    I knit and crochet for my local NICU, and as sad as it is to make them, the Burial Gowns and Buntings I make are so badly needed. As the one nurse told me a few years ago, I have no idea the comfort and healing I'm giving a Family just by making something that gives their little Angel dignity.

This is the first though I've heard of a program/set up for people to donate their Wedding Gowns for Burial Gowns to NICU's. I know that some made their little one's Christening Gown out of the Wedding Gown, as my Mom did that for a Cousin of mine, but the first I've heard of this.

Thanks for bringing it up and I'll ask the Nurses at our NICU if there's such a program set up for our area. If there is, then I'll get the word out. As many have said, it's worn maybe a grand total of three or four times and then is put away in a box or garment bag "for posterity". This is far better use of the dress if it isn't donated to a charity to be resold like at the Salvation Army or the stores in our area run by the various Mental Health/Mental Disablity organizations.

Thanks again!!

I heard about this sad story the other night on the 11pm News. First I'd heard of "Trash The Dress" and still think it's one of the more stupid ideas that's popped up the last few years. I also think Genevieve hit the nail dead on the head too. Nothing but another symptom of the "ME ME ME Look at ME!!!!!!" epidemic that's running riot in our society these days.

My condolences to her Husband and both Families. I can't even imagine the pain they're going through right now.

We can only hope this stops this trend. Sadly, I have a bad feeling the reaction of any Brides out there that are going to do this in the coming months will be, "Oh...That's won't happen to *me*..."

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345