Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by orbitz View Post
    ... I'm sure if they had decided to trash the dress at a pig farm, for example, the bride would still be alive.
    Possibly, you never know. At the least, the bride might have contracted swine flu which if treated properly I don't think is usually fatal. There reportedly have been a number of swine flu outbreaks in the U.S. recently. I saw a news feature recently where pigs were banned from a country fair due to the dangers of swine flu.

In any case, a pig farm is the last place I would ever want to pose for photographs in my wedding dress. A sad story, and such a preventable tragedy. I'd think of doing something craftily creative with the dress fabric before I'd ever think of becoming involved in "trashing" my wedding dress in a river setting in front of photographers/ cameras. To me it just reeks of our "reality mania," "new trend/ next trend," "top this," media-centric culture. Might it have been safer to jump out of an airplane in a not too bulky wedding dress (with trusty parachute) than get anywhere near a body of water?

vCash
    At the least the bride might have contracted swine flu at a hypothetical pig farm?

vCash
    ^^ Well, obviously this unfortunate young lady died in the river while weighted down by her wedding dress. And at three pages in this beside the point thread (nothing said here will bring her back), someone hypothesized that "if they had decided to trash the dress at a pig farm ... the bride would still be alive." So, I responded, "at the least" meaning if something else untoward or unforeseen didn't happen that killed her at the hypothetical pig farm, "at the least" she could possibly have contracted swine flu (which apparently is not fatal if properly treated).

Truthfully, so foolish of me to respond to the "pig farm" hypothetical, but yeah, I did anyway. Again, the poor bride and others involved made choices that led to her losing something more precious than her wedding gown, and that's unbelievably sad.

vCash
    My cousin does photography of children, newborn to senior graduation pictures. She has been asked to do the pregnancy photos and does them, the ones that I have seen on her website are very pretty - not what I would have done, but...
    She has recently started doing family pictures - some of the best I've seen have been of her Mom and step dad's retirement celebration.
    I think what I like about her photos is that she seems to bring the personality of the people in the picture (I don't know always know her clients, but she often gets the unposed pictures which are the best.)
    The trash the dress and day after the wedding pictures are a bit OTT and seem self indulgent, but if it is what they want and pay for?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WindSpirit View Post
    I

There should be some give and take on both sides, but definitely more on the photographer's side. If you both discuss what you want and you agree to take the job, you're there for them. Or you're going to refuse to take a picture the couple is asking you to take at her their wedding?
    No - of course not. I'm very accommodating and enjoy giving people something they'll like: that's what I love about the job, it's seeing people happy with the product. But people have a tendency to download "must-take" lists off wedding websites, and these make the photographers job really complicated because no two weddings are the same. And you want to be reacting to what's happening, rather than forcing artificial situations to recreate the must-take shots.

vCash
    I can see why people do all of these photos for events - and if they want them, and can pay for them, and are happy - well, some photographer is making money, the economic wheels are turning.

I don't care for some of them, but that is my choice.
    And I don't mind people plastering them all over thier facebook - I choose to have them in my feed, not the other way around.

A friend of mine, who is a photographer, does do pregnancies, babies and family pitures mostly. She did a spoof one of her husbands (hairy) belly all puffed out with wooden blocks holding up the word 'B E E R' - I laughed when I saw it.

I don't think I want to spend $$ on pregnanciy photos myslef, but I am happy that I have some pictures of myself being pregnant.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by maatTheViking View Post
    But I am happy that I have some pictures of myself being pregnant.

I am too. And my children, all adults now, enjoy coming across (every five or ten years) pictures of their then young mother carrying them.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by genevieve View Post
    I especially don't understand spending even more $$$ to commemorate it.

It just seems like something to prolong Bride's Special Day months after the event - "hey look! I'm still the most important person! Because MY WEDDING and MY DRESS and MY PHOTOGRAPHIC JOURNEY is what it's all about. And it'll take at least a few months before I can start bombarding you with pictures of MY PREGNANCY and MY BABY which prove that I am COMPLETELY CREATIVE AND UNIQUE even though I ripped this off my BFF's pinterest! ME! ME! ME!...oh what's that honey? yeah whatever, could you stand over there? you're blocking my light kthxbai...ME! ME! ME! "

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WindSpirit View Post
    Talk to your photographer and tell him/her what you want. It's your wedding, you're paying for the pictures and you should get what you want.

BTW, I didn't mean people eating. I meant, the food only. Food photography is quite a big business. I also happen to think food is an aesthetically-pleasing subject. I kind of joked about photographing food at a wedding, though. Unless it was awesome visually. Same goes for wedding reception halls. I've some decorated so beautifully they definitely deserved to be photographed.
    Oh I bet it is! I took a photography course last semester and our instructor said product and food photography pays a lot, because it's so difficult to do well. A wedding doesn't always have the best lighting either.

I'm not a huge fan of formally posed photos and I know my fiance definitely isn't a fan of being in them, so I'm not entirely sure what the process will be for taking photos with our family members. Maybe we'll just have to do fun things in the pictures aside from standing and smiling...

Quote Originally Posted by wickedwitch View Post
    At first I thought they were ragging on amateur photographers, which seemed somewhat harsh. Then I realized that all these photos came from someone who claimed to be a professional.
    Most of them should have Photoshop deleted from their computers.

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    When my sister's oldest daughter got married she (my sister) took great pains to "direct" the videographer and photographer. She got an unedited copy of the video the next morning - early, early the next morning. She woke me around 8am to ask if I wanted to watch it. Hell, I watched the wedding live - she must have missed it.
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

vCash
    I live kinda near the place where all this happened. I've been three times on the site. I would never ever go in the water to swim there, even if I wore a bikini. The current is so strong, yet it doesn't appear to be. I went once in the water, down the stream from the waterfall, not up. I only had water up to my ankle and I was not wearing a big flowy dress., yet I was afraid.

I just don't understand. It is not the first time someone drowns there. What were they thinking? I mean, she clearly does not deserve what happened and it's a tragedy but for someone who knows the place, as she probably was, it's just a bizarre idea.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafter View Post
    Agree. Why any woman would think that anyone wants to see a photo of her large (and usually bare) belly is beyond me.

Then again, I'm one of those people who does not find pregnancy attractive.
    I didn't let anyone take pictures of me when I was eight to nine months pregnant because I finally looked pregnant. I was embarrassed. I do not understand all the LOOK AT MEEEE! things. My sister in law took tons of photos of herself but I do not want to relive it, probably the worst time of my life...

I do not understand trash the dress photos. At all. It's a shame what happened, though I just don't see why anyone would do that.

vCash
    For me, Trash the Dress photos are more of an opportunity to take whatever kind of creative and beautiful wedding photos you'd like without having to worry about keeping the dress clean. I think a lot of brides "settle" for standard photos because they want to keep the dress preserved in pristine condition. When you're no longer concerned about the dress, there's a lot more freedom...lay in the grass, kiss in the rain, play in the waves at the beach...just having more options than one would have if they were concerned about not getting the dress dirty.

I understand that some Trash the Dress brides go OUT of the way to really wreck the dress just for the sake of wrecking it (I saw one bride who went to the fair and rode the rides, petted pigs and purposefully got hot dog condiments all over her dress) and that's a little more self-indulgent and pointless.

But for me, if you were just taking the opportunity to get more creativity with your wedding photos, then by all means trash the dress. I would consider doing it, but after the wedding just because I wouldn't want to get the dress wrecked and then have to go to a reception, lol.

Oh, and all my photos would be with my husband. Aside from one or two bridal portraits, I don't understand why one would want SO MANY photos taken alone. It's your wedding, the occasion you celebrate two becoming one, so why would you do it all solo? lol!

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    the best (as in worst but so LOL) wedding photo i ever saw was a co worker who was about 4'10 with a wide princessy wedding dress, as wide as she was tall. she sat on the floor with the shirt all spread out, then had her cheap doll collection placed all over and around the skirt. she hung it up in her pod. sometimes i used to just stare at it and think about how we were all better off when we had to grow our own food.
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by my little pony View Post
    the best (as in worst but so LOL) wedding photo i ever saw was a co worker who was about 4'10 with a wide princessy wedding dress, as wide as she was tall. she sat on the floor with the shirt all spread out, then had her cheap doll collection placed all over and around the skirt. she hung it up in her pod. sometimes i used to just stare at it and think about how we were all better off when we had to grow our own food.
    You're going straight to hell in a handbasket, missy
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by my little pony View Post
    ... we were all better off when we had to grow our own food.
    Hmmm... seems to be a lesson somewhere there in your final thought (and indeed in what happened to the bride who drowned -- her fate is lamentable). I just wish I could get the photographic image posted in your co-worker's pod, out of my head.

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    A childhood friend of mine is about 4' 11" and she has a pic up on her FB of when she was a bridesmaid in the late '80s/early '90s...poor thing was in one of those hideous pinky purple taffeta/poufy sleeve nightmares that were so popular at the time...and it did look about as wide as she is tall. She has a good sense of humor about it, and the bride even apologized on the page for making her wear that dress
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

vCash
    My dress was pretty much trashed all on it's own after my wedding.

Some of the beading was ripped off, and the train was rotten dirty from outdoor photos.

No need to 'trash the dress' in a photo shoot....it already was trashed.
    I'm not spoiled...I deserve all my stuff.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafter View Post
    So many brides these days are so narcissistic it's ridiculous.
    I think the worst example I saw of this was a woman who was telling me about the tragedy of never getting her wedding photos because her photographer committed suicide after the wedding...that there was a point where she thought that the photographer's ex-husband was going to be able to get them for her, but that fell through, etc, etc. This woman went on and on about the picture situation without a word of sympathy for the suicide or the loved ones...all I could hear was ME ME ME. From what I hear, this woman is just selfish and narcissistc anyway, but this was a pretty egregious example of it.

And I am in agreement about the tackiness of engagement pictures and how much I loathe pregnancy photos. At least I can deal with engagement pictures, but I wish there was a way to block pregnancy-bump pictures from my Facebook, as I have absolutely no desire to see that.

vCash
    I'm with the masses, I hate engagement and pregnancy photo shoot. The worst is anything with matching outfits, hands in the shape of a heart on a pregnant belly and while it's not quite a photo shoot per say, ultra sounds and 3d ultra sounds on fb.

Although none of that compares to a girl I know who got a lingerie photo shoot done and had half a dozen of the pictures printed off on canvases and has them displayed all over her apartment. It makes me uncomfortable every time I go over there.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast