Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    vCash
    The fabric is so beautiful, it can be reused so many ways. My girlfriend had her a baptism set made from her dress and all of her children wore it and she will hand it down to them if they want to use it for their kids.

Trashing the dress is a waste.

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by madm View Post
    I can't relate to these people who would trash a dress. I was raised by parents who went through the Great Depression, and they taught me the importance of reusing items and not wasting anything. Unless you've endured hardship like they did, you don't fully appreciate how luck you are and how resourceful one can be in reusing items. Our generation is so wasteful. This thread makes me ashamed of what this bride and others have done to "trash" a beautiful wedding dress. They must not have any philanthropic inclinations. If I were the person who sewed the dress, I would be mortified.
    I did not endure hardship, but nevertheless I too was raised with the mindset that one does not waste anything.

My fiance suggested that the "trash the dress" trend was started by wedding dress manufacturers. Kind of like how DeBeers started the pricey engagement ring trend.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Libertango View Post

ITA!! This made me think about something i read yesterday : the morning after photoshoot
    That is one of the tackiest things I have ever seen.

Not to mention that many brides and grooms are so bagged after the stress of the wedding/reception that all they do on that "special night" is fall into bed and sleep
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Anita18 View Post

My fiance suggested that the "trash the dress" trend was started by wedding dress manufacturers.
    Actually, just like the "morning after" article notes about that idea, it was the brainchild of photographers who found a way to milk more money out of the wedding business. Dress manufacturers would have little to gain from it as the majority of women do not resell their wedding gowns.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PDilemma View Post
    Actually, just like the "morning after" article notes about that idea, it was the brainchild of photographers who found a way to milk more money out of the wedding business.
    True. But the flip side of this is that the average woman will willingly pay top $$$ for wedding pics of herself but never in a million years ever buy a photo from an art gallery.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by genevieve View Post
    I especially don't understand spending even more $$$ to commemorate it.

It just seems like something to prolong Bride's Special Day months after the event - "hey look! I'm still the most important person! Because MY WEDDING and MY DRESS and MY PHOTOGRAPHIC JOURNEY is what it's all about. And it'll take at least a few months before I can start bombarding you with pictures of MY PREGNANCY and MY BABY which prove that I am COMPLETELY CREATIVE AND UNIQUE even though I ripped this off my BFF's pinterest! ME! ME! ME!...oh what's that honey? yeah whatever, could you stand over there? you're blocking my light kthxbai...ME! ME! ME! "
    I completely agree. Great post. So many brides these days are so narcissistic it's ridiculous.

Eta: and don't forget the engagement photos!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafter View Post

In defense of the engagement photo, ours were part of our package with our photographer. He likes to do a session with a couple before the wedding to get to know them a bit and have a better idea of how to shoot the wedding. We would not have done them were it not for that.

It is my understanding that a lot of wedding photographers do that now.

vCash
    I completely agree. Great post. So many brides these days are so narcissistic it's ridiculous.

I'm also very anti-baby bump photos. Look! Here's my husband and I holding our hands like a heart over my belly!

I'm sure there are lots of women and couples who get these photos done and love them, but it's not for me, and I get tired of seeing them all over Facebook.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Habs View Post
    I'm also very anti-baby bump photos. Look! Here's my husband and I holding our hands like a heart over my belly!

I'm sure there are lots of women and couples who get these photos done and love them, but it's not for me, and I get tired of seeing them all over Facebook.
    UGH! The VERY last thing I wanted was photographic proof of my total whaledom when I was pregnant.
    Team Peeps!

vCash
    In defense of the engagement photo, ours were part of our package with our photographer. He likes to do a session with a couple before the wedding to get to know them a bit and have a better idea of how to shoot the wedding. We would not have done them were it not for that.

They're still stupid. When friends and relatives want to show me their engagement photos, it makes me want to gag. I find them so utterly cheesy and tacky.

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    lol, my friend is a photographer and based on her website, a huge chunk of her business is pregnancy photos. some of them seem like they are shot from the hubbell telescope in order to get a not so unflattering angle.
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

vCash

Agree. Why any woman would think that anyone wants to see a photo of her large (and usually bare) belly is beyond me.

Then again, I'm one of those people who does not find pregnancy attractive.

vCash
    They're still stupid. When friends and relatives want to show me their engagement photos, it makes me want to gag. I find them so utterly cheesy and tacky.
    Whether they are "cheesy" or "tacky" totally depends on the photographer. They don't have to be. Ours are not. I won't deny seeing some that are, but there are also cheesy and tacky wedding pictures as well. When I was searching for a wedding photographer, I figured out one key thing after seeing all the websites: you have to find a person who considers him/herself a photographer not an "artist". They may consider photography an art (and well they should) but if the website and info declares front and center that the person is an "ARTIST" and considers weddings a "canvas" or something, two things are going to be true: their services will be ridiculously expensive and the product will be absurdly over the top in cheese and tackiness.

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    Actually, just like the "morning after" article notes about that idea, it was the brainchild of photographers who found a way to milk more money out of the wedding business. Dress manufacturers would have little to gain from it as the majority of women do not resell their wedding gowns.
    A majority of them don't resell them, but the dress manufacturers lost money on me.

Or it's a racket between the photographers and dress manufacturers.

Yeah, that's what our photographer offered as well - a free engagement session. It's an easy way for couples to get nice photos for save-the-dates (although I've never seen a save-the-date) or the wedding website, etc. But I think typical engagement photoshoots are cheesy, so I suggested a post-wedding shoot at a local skate park. It would be pretty awesome to have me in the wedding dress and hubby in his suit doing tricks on his beloved skateboard. Turns out our photographer used to shoot inline skating and was pretty excited about the idea, so he gave that session to us for free even though any post-wedding sessions usually cost extra.

Or maybe that's cheesy too, but at least it would be somewhat less cheesy than the lovey-dovey frolicking-in-the-city/forest engagement shoots I've seen.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Anita18 View Post
    But I think typical engagement photoshoots are cheesy, so I suggested a post-wedding shoot at a local skate park.

Or maybe that's cheesy too, but at least it would be somewhat less cheesy than the lovey-dovey frolicking-in-the-city/forest engagement shoots I've seen.
    You know, you don't have to take "lovey-dovey frolicking in the city/forest engagement" pictures if you don't want to. You really don't. A man or woman with a camera cannot force you to do any of that. I'm not understanding the insistence that that is the only possible engagement photo. Unless people are taking the "shoot" part of a photo shoot too literally and think that the photographer has the power of life or death in his/her hands and can order you to "frolic or die".

Not a single frolic on our engagement disc. Nothing even close to one.

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    my least favorite engagement photos are the ones where they both wear a white button down shirt or a black turtleneck
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

vCash

Our wedding photographer came to our rehearsal and worked with us and the minister to plan how to shoot the wedding.

Oh well, to each their own. I can see why some photographers like to do a package with engagement photos, but I really like the way our photographer went about it. Much smoother on the wedding day!
    Last edited by Habs; 08-27-2012 at 09:16 PM.

vCash

Not a single frolic on our engagement disc. Nothing even close to one.

Not even a few on a skateboard?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Norlite View Post
    Not even a few on a skateboard?
    Yeah, I'm thinking that there's a lot more potential for frolicking when a skateboard is involved.

But it isn't "typical" and in thread after thread, we know someone is terrified of being "typical" and must declare it to us.

vCash
    What's wrong with cheesy pictures of a couple flocking together? (Besides the fact it sound like birds.) I think it's boring to other people, but it's fun for yourself. I think it's like vacation photos, no one really likes looking at them except for yourself, but it was sure fun to take.

I've always thought Trash the Wedding dress started as "F** you" gesture. B/c the wedding and by extension the wedding dress is so important and symbolic, some bride got sick of it and trash their wedding dress to show it was all just for fun.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast