Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

New bride dies during photo shoot.

Apparently she was taking part in something called "Trash the Dress" and she was posing in her wedding dress while standing in a river. It seems she was only a few inches or a foot deep in water; her dress became water logged and she slipped and fell into the river and was cried away. The BBC says she was trying to swim in the dress and was weighted down by it. Either way it is a terrible way to die and totally preventable.
    http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/caution...death-1.930467
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-19384639

vCash
    Oh, she was such a beauty How unfortunate death!

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    hopefully this will put a damper (no pun intended) on a stupid trend
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

vCash
    Yeah, saw that story earlier. Didn't realize it was a "trash the dress" activity, but that makes more sense than an extra random photo shoot. In any case, how heartbreaking for her family.

vCash
    I'm cofused. If you went to the trouble of having a traditional wedding, why would you trash the dress? That seems like a post divorce activity.
    The next thing I don't understand is why is getting it wet is trashing it - it can still be cleaned. The last thing I don't understand is who in their right mind gets in running water in a bulky dress and expects to live?
    Last edited by aliceanne; 08-27-2012 at 06:07 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aliceanne View Post
    I'm cofused. If you went to the trouble of having a traditional wedding, why would you trash the dress? That seems like a post divorce activity.
    The next thing I don't understand is why is getting it wet trashing it - it can still be cleaned. The last thing I don't understand is who in their right mind gets in running water in a bulky dress and expects to live?
    I hope that the trash the dress trend will end soon.

My niece's trash the dress thought was she was married now and no longer needed the dress. And that any daughter she might have would want her own dress. Her photo shoot was on the beach (she lived in Florida at the time). I still don't understand the trashing of a $$$$ dress.

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    I especially don't understand spending even more $$$ to commemorate it.

It just seems like something to prolong Bride's Special Day months after the event - "hey look! I'm still the most important person! Because MY WEDDING and MY DRESS and MY PHOTOGRAPHIC JOURNEY is what it's all about. And it'll take at least a few months before I can start bombarding you with pictures of MY PREGNANCY and MY BABY which prove that I am COMPLETELY CREATIVE AND UNIQUE even though I ripped this off my BFF's pinterest! ME! ME! ME!...oh what's that honey? yeah whatever, could you stand over there? you're blocking my light kthxbai...ME! ME! ME! "
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

INTJ
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by genevieve View Post

It just seems like something to prolong Bride's Special Day months after the event - "hey look! I'm still the most important person! Because MY WEDDING and MY DRESS and MY PHOTOGRAPHIC JOURNEY is what it's all about. And it'll take at least a few months before I can start bombarding you with pictures of MY PREGNANCY and MY BABY which prove that I am COMPLETELY CREATIVE AND UNIQUE even though I ripped this off my BFF's pinterest! ME! ME! ME!...oh what's that honey? yeah whatever, could you stand over there? you're blocking my light kthxbai...ME! ME! ME! "
    I think you just pegged it
    "Beautiful things don't ask for attention." -The Secret Life of Walter Mitty

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    I've always been a bit about the trash-the-dress photoshoots. Some budget-minded brides would like to have your used dress! Don't trash it! I'm glad the previous owner of my dress didn't. I snagged my whole dress ensemble for less than $65.

Still, she didn't deserve to die over a stupid photoshoot. Seriously, the photographer didn't think it was dangerous? "Take photographs of me swimming in it?" Darwin Award, I'm afraid...

vCash
    An Ophelia death. "But long it could not be till that her garments, heavy with their drink, pulled the poor wretch from her melodious lay to muddy death." Sad and pointless.

vCash
    I hadn't heard of trashing a dress before but let me get this straight. These people buy dresses that cost hundreds, even thousands of dollars and just because they figure they won't wear them again they ruin them?
    I guess that makes it official - people still have too much money, even in economic crisis and they have no idea what money's worth anymore. Geez.
    My mom still has her dress. It didn't cost a fortune and I certainly won't wear it. But I think there's something about it that makes her not be able to throw it out.

Regardless, this is tragic and shouldn't happen to anyone. So horrible for her new husband and family!

In my own little fantasy world where life is perfect for me!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ballettmaus View Post
    I hadn't heard of trashing a dress before but let me get this straight. These people buy dresses that cost hundreds, even thousands of dollars and just because they figure they won't wear them again they ruin them?
    Yep. They totally destroy the dress taking the pictures. Cut them up, rip and tear them, roll around in the mud and ocean, spray paint them ... its crazy some of the pictures I've seen online. Just google it and you will find some photo shoots. My thought is ... hey spoiled princess, why don't you sell your dress to someone who would like a nice dress but could never afford to pay $6,000+ for a dress, or donate it to a charity, or put it in a consignment shop, or sell it to a dress outlet shop, or something other than completely destroy a dress you wore for about 6 hours. Total waste.

I guess that makes it official - people still have too much money, even in economic crisis and they have no idea what money's worth anymore. Geez.
    Amen to that! I watch that Say Yes to the Dress show and it amazes me the little spoiled brats who march in there and announce their dress budget is $5,000+. Insane. I know someone who paid for her whole damn wedding with $5,000 and it was very lovely. And her dress was more gorgeous than the $5,000+ monstrosities I see on Say Yes to the Dress.
    Last edited by BaileyCatts; 08-27-2012 at 01:12 PM.

vCash
    I had never heard of "trash the dress" before Virtue & Moir did it.

ITA!! This made me think about something i read yesterday : the morning after photoshoot

Vacant
    vCash
    What a tragedy but at the same time what a stupid, stupid thing to do! Trash the dress? Genevieve summed it up perfectly. I really hope this so-called 'trend' goes away very quickly.

And those morning after shots? Seriously is nothing private anymore? How contrived is that? Who looks that good the morning after anything?? Narcissism at its absolute worst.

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    there was a local girl on tv on fri with her morning after photoshoot photos, including one of the two of them on her dining room table with her legs back by her ears. lol, i dont know what they cost but i was thinking about how unflattering they were and then the bride said something about how flattering she thought they were and she put them up in several places in the house.
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

OmnipresentAdmeanistrator
    vCash
    And to think how rich I could be living off my photography if I only lowered my standards!

vCash
    How very very sad.

I "pretended" to model when I was in college, and did a test shoot with a photographer once that involved me being in a (small, nothing like the one shown in these articles) river in a heavy (but not wedding dress weight) dress. A few times I WAS caught by the current, and got quite scrapped up by the rocks. However, the photographer had the foresight to have an assistant who stood just downstream, and was able to catch me if I struggled even slightly.

I actually really love trash the dress photos, many are done very very well. I didn't have any taken- I donated my dress to a charity instead. Since a friend worked there, she was able to tell me about the woman who got the dress, and I know it was the right decision. I chose not to hang onto it, I wasn't going to wear it again, as absolutely gorgeous as it was... I have no delusion that I may have a daughter who wants to wear it- styles change, and while my mother looked lovely in her dress, I would have never worn it. I do have a friend who has a family tradition of trying on her dress every year on their anniversary, but other than that- dresses seem to just get put into a box to be stored until their owner dies... So I see no problem with trash the dress if that is something you'd like to do. I'm glad I was able to give my dress to someone who couldn't have afforded this type of gown otherwise though.

vCash

What Genevieve said.

Hate to say it, but it sounds like a Darwin Award nominee to me...

vCash
    There are some volunteers for NICUs who take donated wedding gowns and make burial clothing for infants who have died in the NICU. While it sounds macabre, it is really appreciated by the families. Most are in shock and are in deep grief states. The cost of burying an infant isn't nearly what it is for adults, but you would be surprised at the cost. Someone donating a beautiful gown for you to do this/take pictures or have a memory of someones generosity means a great deal to those parents. One wedding gown can make many premie gowns. Your dress is used for good and not for the landfill.

But genevieve is right - it is a sign of the ME, ME, ME mentality.

vCash
    I can't relate to these people who would trash a dress. I was raised by parents who went through the Great Depression, and they taught me the importance of reusing items and not wasting anything. Unless you've endured hardship like they did, you don't fully appreciate how luck you are and how resourceful one can be in reusing items. Our generation is so wasteful. This thread makes me ashamed of what this bride and others have done to "trash" a beautiful wedding dress. They must not have any philanthropic inclinations. If I were the person who sewed the dress, I would be mortified.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast