View Poll Results: What was the best Olympic silver medal winning LP performance by a male skater?

Voters
162. You may not vote on this poll
  • Brian Orser 1988 (The Bolt)

51 31.48%
  • Paul Wylie 1992 (Henry the 5th)

48 29.63%
  • Elvis Stojko 1998 (better than in 1994)

7 4.32%
  • Evgeni Plushenko 2002 (Carmen- better than 2010)

27 16.67%
  • Stephane Lambiel 2006 (Four seasons)

29 17.90%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

vCash

Favorite Olympic silver medal performance by a man

What was the best Olympic silver medal winning performance by a singles male skater?

vCash
    angry Carmen

vCash
    I'd say Brian Orser, because it was almost perfect. He was beaten by an amazingly perfect Boitano !
    But it's not my favorite program. I prefer Stephane Lambiel's 4 Seasons.

vCash
    Orser's SP was Beautiful! But LP(The bolt) was less impressive, for me.

vCash
    I'm going to say Plushy's Carmen because you could just see him take on the attitude of, right, I'm going to do EVERYthing, I'm going to give it everything. It was crazy. First time he attempted the 4T-3T-3Lo (shame he stepped out of the 3Lo) and of course that amazing 3A-.5Lo-3F!

vCash
    I love fsu! I voted for Wylie's stunning Henry v lp and was anxiously awaiting the refresh to see if he was ahead of wonderful lambiel, only to find plushy's crappy Carmen way ahead at the same time his fans are insisting in another thread that he's the most hated skater of all time here.
    I didn't realize "best" meant most jumps landed.

vCash
    I voted for Wylie, because I think he should have won that competition, not Petrenko (although I don't recall the SPs too well). Orser's was probably better technically, but Wylie's had better performance value, I think.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by misskarne View Post
    I'm going to say Plushy's Carmen because you could just see him take on the attitude of, right, I'm going to do EVERYthing, I'm going to give it everything. It was crazy. First time he attempted the 4T-3T-3Lo (shame he stepped out of the 3Lo) and of course that amazing 3A-.5Lo-3F!
    This

vCash
    Plushenko's Carmen was wonderful (and I was lucky enough to see it live), so I voted for that. It may have been his best Olympic LP performance, ever, even though he could not win the gold due to his fall in the SP.

However, Orser's 1988 LP performance was great too, particularly artistically. He expressed the powerful music so well. It's a shame they could not give two gold medals that year to the two Brians.

vCash
    I liked Orser's '84 Olympic FS better. I liked Stojko's "94 FS better as well. I don't remember Plushenko's 2002 (he was overshadowed by Yagudin). I like Lambiel much better as a pro. I would have to vote for Wylie. Like Manley in '88, he had the skate of his life and was so thrilled to medal.

Fetalized since 1998
    vCash
    Wylie. Gorgeous, poignant...such a stylist..

vCash
    I thought Elvis's 94 Olympic performance was his better one to be honest, and had it been on the list I probably would have voted for it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blue_idealist View Post
    I voted for Wylie, because I think he should have won that competition, not Petrenko (although I don't recall the SPs too well).
    Vik always did better in the SP mostly due to the stamina issues that plagued him in his LPs. He landed a 3x/3t and a 3z iirc while Paul landed 3x/2t and 3f. Don't remember what Petr did in the sp, as I found his skating pretty forgettable overall, but he finished in 2nd between Vik and Paul.

vCash
    Barna was also a short program skater. His short program in Albertville, Munich, and Oakland were all excellent and very worthy of their high placings, although he used the exact same short program 3 seasons in a row like Petrenko's long, it worked perfectly for his style. His LPs were always bland, forgettable, and usually with reduced technical content and major mistakes.

vCash
    Best was probably Orser.

My favorite is, was, and always will be - Paul.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by berthesghost View Post
    Vik always did better in the SP mostly due to the stamina issues that plagued him in his LPs. He landed a 3x/3t and a 3z iirc while Paul landed 3x/2t and 3f. Don't remember what Petr did in the sp, as I found his skating pretty forgettable overall, but he finished in 2nd between Vik and Paul.
    Viktor landed a 3A3t combination which no one else did. He also landed a 3L (flawed, but held on to the one foot landing, no hand down, so according to 6.0 it was a clean triple) and a 2A. He had the best SP of the competition.

He did have stamina problems, so he did not land his second 3A in the LP at the Olympics but he skated great at worlds the same season. In the LP he did land the 3A3t combination again (Paul had a 3t2t and smaller jumps). It was pretty close between him and Wylie because Wylie made a couple of mistakes in his LP. They were not as glaring as Viktor's but they still were mistakes made by a skater who had never gotten close to the podium in any of his competitions. That may have turned the balance toward Viktor. In my mind Paul was not a clear winner, although his program was more enjoyable to watch. As a 2x world silver medallist and the reigning Olympic bronze medallist Viktor got the benefit of the doubt.

vCash
    ^ not sure what you mean by "pretty close". The judges clearly preferred vik, and Ita about the reputation judging, as Paul barely won the silver over Barna. I can at least see an argument for silver, but the fact that Paul came this close to bronze really burns.

vCash
    ^ not sure what you mean by "pretty close". The judges clearly preferred vik, and Ita about the reputation judging, as Paul barely won the silver over Barna. I can at least see an argument for silver, but the fact that Paul came this close to bronze really burns.
    Sorry, I was not clear. It was 'pretty close' in my mind but not in the judges'. For the performance he had, Paul's marks were too low. Barna had only a so so performance, so it should not have been that close between him and Paul.

I loved Paul Wylie's reaction though when he found out that he won the silver- reminiscent of Liz Manley's in 1988.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    Barna was also a short program skater. His short program in Albertville, Munich, and Oakland were all excellent and very worthy of their high placings, although he used the exact same short program 3 seasons in a row like Petrenko's long, it worked perfectly for his style. His LPs were always bland, forgettable, and usually with reduced technical content and major mistakes.
    Petr Barna's LP forgettable ?
    His 1992 LP is one of my favorite ever. And I can watch it 20 years later, with the same interest

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by briancoogaert View Post
    Petr Barna's LP forgettable ?
    His 1992 LP is one of my favorite ever. And I can watch it 20 years later, with the same interest
    Barna had a quad toe (although two footed), which was pretty rare those days. He did not have a 3A though. His music seemed a bit heavy. He skated well but fell on a jump toward the end. Had he landed it, the judges might have given him the silver over Wylie. Barna had a decent performance, but it could not match the emotion in Wylie's skating.

However, it's a matter of taste.

I loved Barna's exhibition to Charlie Chaplin. It was so funny, it was hard to believe it was the same (serious) skater who skated to Hamlet (am I correct about the music?)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast