Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Plushenko skipping Grand Prix, wants to defend his European title

Plushenko: I’ll Defend European Title
    Seven-time European figure skating champion Evgeni Plushenko will be back to defend his title in Zagreb next year but will skip the Grand Prix season, he told R-Sport in a recent interview, and also discussed his new-found love of golf.
    http://en.ria.ru/sports/20120823/175393816.html

Does it mean he is not planing to go to Worlds next year?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cocovica View Post
    Plushenko: I’ll Defend European Title
    Seven-time European figure skating champion Evgeni Plushenko will be back to defend his title in Zagreb next year but will skip the Grand Prix season, he told R-Sport in a recent interview, and also discussed his new-found love of golf.
    http://en.ria.ru/sports/20120823/175393816.html

What's the big problem if he doesn't? He's got to look after those knees.

So I guess this means we wont see him until Russian Nationals. Hope he stays healthy!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cocovica View Post

Plushy has a record of skipping Worlds, and only competing in Nationals and Europeans but look at 2010 Olympics he was still a medal contender

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by misskarne View Post
    What's the big problem if he doesn't? He's got to look after those knees.

So I guess this means we wont see him until Russian Nationals. Hope he stays healthy!
    it is not a problem i am just a little bit suprised...

vCash
    I did not think him not mentioning worlds meant no worlds but now that I read with that in mind it he only says Russian natoinals and Euros are definite. I thought it would be vital to go to worlds. But non worlds winners or even participants in 2009 won the Olympics in 2010. Unless he does COR in 2013 I guess he's just going to avoid all percieved non Euro frontrunners until Sochi.

vCash
    Of course he is planning to go to Worlds 2013. Who else could earn 3 entries at Sochi for Russia?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ali_dorate View Post
    Of course he is planning to go to Worlds 2013. Who else could earn 3 entries at Sochi for Russia?
    Better to give it to headcase Gachinski again

vCash
    That's another reason why I thought it was likely that he would go. Russia not having three spots would be seen as a major problem. Just because they would not have the max opportunities to for athletes- not even considering that it is very likely that only Plushenko would have a chance to medal. Gachinski has world bronze and Euro silver but did very poorly at 2012 worlds.

Does he concern himself with that? All he needs is one. He can't really trust anyone else to get spots for Sochi though. Russia may have one automatic because they are host.

vCash
    But what does the ISU think about it, if he once again skips the worlds?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceIceBaby View Post
    But what does the ISU think about it, if he once again skips the worlds?
    But if he does not apply for competing at WORLDS, why ISU has problem with that?

On the other hand, although he did not mention WORLDS in this news, right after 2012 worlds he did say something like he will go to 2013 Worlds.

Just wait and see how would Artur perform in this season. If he beats Plushenko (though not very likely), then he can go to Worlds for Russia.

vCash
    I hate to start a about the infamous 3 spots questions but I doubt the Russian fed cares much about 3 spots. In fact, Piseev would probably rather only have 1 spot if he fears the other 2 are likely to cause embarrassment...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by millyskate View Post
    I hate to start a about the infamous 3 spots questions but I doubt the Russian fed cares much about 3 spots. In fact, Piseev would probably rather only have 1 spot if he fears the other 2 are likely to cause embarrassment...
    Hey, Voronov and Gachinski can still duke it out for the 2-3 spot

although these two never had any great accomplishments or medaled high in Big competitions still giving a max 3 entry will still maximize the potential to podium even if the other choices can be a bit headcasey

vCash
    Why would Russia need three spots for Sochi when they are this weak in the Men's division? Says a lot that they are relying on someone who will 31 to carry them.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    Why would Russia need three spots for Sochi when they are this weak in the Men's division? Says a lot that they are relying on someone who will 31 to carry them.
    Plushenko is still in no doubt their best reliable bullet

but having a max 3 just for the purpose as not to put too much pressure on Plushy by Olympics season, so even though Voronov and Gachinski are both disasters, if Plushy gets 2 spots or maybe 3 spots then the other 2 can still max their purpose even if the two have a longshot of medaling. I really hope they fix this but based on the new Russian mens juniors ( the JGP entries ) the results have been weak so far, so..... no choice.

vCash
    Gachinski could, if given the chance.

One bad competition does not a career make.

Quote Originally Posted by yaya124 View Post
    Just wait and see how would Artur perform in this season. If he beats Plushenko (though not very likely), then he can go to Worlds for Russia.
    Thankyou. This is always my point. I love Plushy, but he must EARN his spot just like everyone else should.

Loving on babies!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by misskarne View Post

One bad competition does not a career make.
    Nor does one GOOD (senior international) competition...
    I am free of all prejudices. I hate everyone equally.~W. C. Fields

vCash
    Gachinski wasn't exactly setting the world on fire during the GP season either if i recall.

vCash
    For Plushenko's preferred approach, 2013 Worlds is kind of a lose-lose proposition. If he does poorly, he has damaged his image in the judges eyes and they would do him no favors the Olympic year. If he does reasonably well then he would be stuck doing two GP events next fall and probably the GP final. It's been years since he showed any willingness for that kind of competitive workload.

IMO, he needs either to have a conveniently timed injury after Europeans that keeps him out of Worlds or a conveniently timed injury next fall to limit his GP events to one.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    Gachinski wasn't exactly setting the world on fire during the GP season either if i recall.
    exactly, and Gachinski has already been given many opportunities already
    without that much success other than counting a fluke Worlds medal

YEAH!
    vCash
    Disappointing. With his programs seemingly ready to go, I expected to at least see him snatch up the TBA at CoR.

Doing Nationals and Euros only isn't good planning, IMHO. He is going to miss out on ISU ranking points that will give him a better starting order at the Olympics. He's also going to miss out on competing with the best Asian and NA skaters, who are his main rivals. Chan in particular looked quite beatable the last two GP seasons, but less so late in the season.

I don't think he'll go to Worlds. Russia doesn't need 3 spots. 2 is plenty. And if whoever gets chosen to go to Worlds can't make the top 10, then that skater doesn't get a chance at the Olympics. Seems fair to me. I don't think the fed wants headcases in front of a home crowd in Sochi.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast