Page 42 of 50 FirstFirst ... 324041424344 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Alissa? That is irritating. She pulls out of 2 events (NHK and a show) just beforehand, a replacement can't be sent and then is looking for another comp? Not a fan at all.

vCash
    NHK is ten days away. I would think that a replacement is still possible. They don't have to take a sail boat to Japan. There are airplanes.

Alissa Fan Forever
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PDilemma View Post
    NHK is ten days away. I would think that a replacement is still possible. They don't have to take a sail boat to Japan. There are airplanes.
    Agreed. At least she didn't wait until next Wednesday to withdraw. There is plenty of time for a replacement to be selected.

vCash
    There are visa requirements that are not always easy to meet in a couple days. I don't know what they are now, but 20 years ago, a guy living in VT, USA, had to travel to Boston to get a visa for Japan, and the hours at the place you had to go were not very accommodating.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DORISPULASKI View Post
    There are visa requirements that are not always easy to meet in a couple days. I don't know what they are now, but 20 years ago, a guy living in VT, USA, had to travel to Boston to get a visa for Japan, and the hours at the place you had to go were not very accommodating.
    The spot wouldn't necessarily be given to an American skater. As for visas, my friend's visa for Asia 14 years ago were handled via FedEx and did not require travel.

The alternates thread in GSD indicates Osmond would have first chance followed on the list by skaters who already got another spot (such as Nagasu) or can't take one now (Flatt) until it gets down to some Russian girls. Who would be dealing with different visa requirements.

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    I forgot to post this link earlier -- Sarah & Drew's 11/6/12 blog included recent chats with Angela Wang, Hannah Miller and Barbie Long (scroll down to the "Three Ladies" section): http://web.icenetwork.com/news/artic...&vkey=ice_news
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    I forgot to post this link earlier -- Sarah & Drew's 11/6/12 blog included recent chats with Angela Wang, Hannah Miller and Barbie Long (scroll down to the "Three Ladies" section): http://web.icenetwork.com/news/artic...&vkey=ice_news
    I didn't realize Wang was coached by Christy Krall. Good coach...

I hope all three of the American ladies do well at the JGPF and at nationals. There's a lot of talent in the junior ranks right now...

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanatic View Post
    Angela Wang's coaches are listed as Christy Krall, Janet Champion, and Damon Allen in her current Team USA bio: http://www.icenetwork.com/skaters/de...=100824&mode=I
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Is it me or does Angela Wang look a lot like Caroline Zhang but with more speed and skating skills?

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    It's you ('cause all those Asians look alike ).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PDilemma View Post
    But it is too bad it is not 14 days out so that a replacement is required. Osmond is a definite possibility because Canadians don't require a visa to visit Japan.
    A good rant is cathartic. Ranting is what keeps me sane. They always come from a different place. Take the prime minister, for example. Sometimes when I rant about him, I am angry; other times, I am just severely annoyed - it's an important distinction. - Rick Mercer

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Mirai Nagasu was added to the NHK Trophy roster today! She replaces the injured Polina Shelepen. See: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...=1#post3742756
    I'm sorry Polina is injured-I wish for her a speedy recovery! As for Mirai-Woo hoo! I hoped she would get a second assignment-this is an unfortunate way to get it but at least now she'll have another GP under her belt before Nationals!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanatic View Post

I hope all three of the American ladies do well at the JGPF and at nationals. There's a lot of talent in the junior ranks right now...
    Sounds like it! Do all three American JGPF ladies have triple-triples? I know Angela Wang does.

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Hannah Miller has not attempted a 3-3 in competition so far this season AFAIK - her coach (and aunt) was quoted in an IN article at Skate Detroit in July as follows:
    "The triple-triple is not quite there yet; we're still working on [loop-loop] for the future," Miller-Zisholz said. "We're working on bigger jumps and good speed; those are our big focus points.
    Leah Keiser has received credit for landing 3Lz+3T in domestic competitions and 3Lz+3T< in 3 out of her 4 attempts (SP & FS) on the JGP this fall.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGirlCanSkate View Post
    Alissa? That is irritating. She pulls out of 2 events (NHK and a show) just beforehand, a replacement can't be sent and then is looking for another comp? Not a fan at all.
    My goodness! Aren't you a little ray of sunshine?!

Unlike certain skaters, who shall go nameless, she isn't withdrawing at the last minute or showing up to a Grand Prix unable to skate anywhere near her best. And she she isn't looking for an international competition before Nationals; she says she'd be quite happy to go to a local one. She isn't going to be taking a spot away from anyone.

By the way, folks, not everyone needs a visa for a short visit to Japan. Citizens of the U.S. and Canada, for example, don't.

vCash
    Maybe Czisny will do Golden Spin in December? I think that gives her close to a month to feel more fit (I honestly don't know the dates)?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by olympic View Post
    Maybe Czisny will do Golden Spin in December? I think that gives her close to a month to feel more fit (I honestly don't know the dates)?
    Golden Spin is December 13-16, so three weeks after NHK. Entries are due in tomorrow.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    By the way, folks, not everyone needs a visa for a short visit to Japan. Citizens of the U.S. and Canada, for example, don't.
    That is the visitor's visa you are talking about. AFAIK, athlets are required of different visa for competition.

vCash
    She should have pulled out when she pulled out of the show. She needs to give herself time to heal. Pain/injury the rest of her life isn't worth skating this season.

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Just came across this Absolute Skating interview from Finlandia Trophy (published online on Nov. 6, 2012): Mirai Nagasu is skating "story of hope" this season

Page 42 of 50 FirstFirst ... 324041424344 ... LastLast