Page 21 of 50 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Shocked by Christina's performances! I would have never guessed that she'd ever get an international GP medal... ever. As for Christina's performances and juggling college, I wouldn't say that's a safe bet quite yet that she's juggling skating and school well... After all, it's only been a couple months since school has started for her. But I am excited to see what she does later in the season. And congrats to Ashley on her first gold as well! She is definitely a top contender for World Team now as well as another National cahmpionships.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pinky166 View Post
    I think some of this is true. Rachael's achieved what she has in skating, and probably in school too, due to being a work horse. She's never been a naturally talented jumper and she's never had the ideal body for skating. So when she had time to train all the time and really keep her diet in check, she did well because she worked really really hard and was able to build up that consistency, plus school wasn't as hard for her. So now, she's in college where she has to travel farther to train, isn't training as much, and its harder to make sure you're eating properly and sleeping adequately to be in the best shape possible, her courses are harder for her and she admits to skating not being a top priority and being committed to having a normal college social life, so the result isn't surprising.

Gao on the other hand has always been a very talented jumper. She's also always had the ideal skating body, and if I'm being perfectly honest, having filled out a bit since college has actually helped her skating in terms of power and posture, she used to seem very gangly and round-shouldered, almost too skinny, but no longer does. Plus we know she got a perfect math SAT, so she's obviously naturally smart. Mark and Peter are better coaches than Rachael's new coaches, and SCOB is a lot closer to Harvard is than the rink Rachael trains at. So for Christina, she's probably not feeling as much of time crunch, nor is feeling as much academic pressure because she hasn't started her major coursework or labs yet and is likely naturally smarter than Rachael anyways, which means she's probably getting enough sleep, and does not have to worry so much about what she's eating because she's naturally thin and the little weight she has put on has helped her skating and image on the ice. So it's very different. Christina seems like an overachiever too, but maybe not the same kind of work horse as Rachael, she used to get pretty visibly upset and frustrated when she didn't skate well so now that she's a Harvard student, there's less pressure put on her by herself, her coaches, and her fans so she seems to be enjoying her skating more. From the sounds of it, Christina also isn't as intent on having a typical college experience while insisting on continuing to skate like Rachael, who is in a sorority and regularly attends events like football games.
    Are you as presumptuous and offensive off line as you are in this post?

How on earth do you know that Gao is "likely naturally smarter" than Flatt? Do you know what Gao's How do you know that Gao "isn't as much as a work horse" as Rachael? How do you know whether Flatt has any difficulty at all eating properly? How do you know that Gao isn't just as sociable as Flatt? And what, exactly do you mean that Flat has "never had the ideal body for skating"? By all accounts from those who have actually seen her in person, she is thin and fit -- usually exactly the right body type for skating.

vCash
    I have a feeling that some of the skaters that we've been watching for awhile like Mirai and Alissa and maybe Caroline won't be a factor by 2014. With Ashley securing herself as the US number one and Agnes, Gracie and maybe Gao and someone on the rise like Angela Wang we might be see a changing of the guard by 2014. Nationals in 2014 will be a brutal fight.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post

How on earth do you know that Gao is "likely naturally smarter" than Flatt? Do you know what Gao's How do you know that Gao "isn't as much as a work horse" as Rachael? How do you know whether Flatt has any difficulty at all eating properly? How do you know that Gao isn't just as sociable as Flatt? And what, exactly do you mean that Flat has "never had the ideal body for skating"? By all accounts from those who have actually seen her in person, she is thin and fit -- usually exactly the right body type for skating.
    I can't talk about their bodies in person but I always thought Rachael's jumps were a bit heavy and eeked out.. Gao's jumps have always appeared easier for her. As for her whose naturally smarter well that's a little tough to tell. Hard to tell. Especially since most of us haven't had the opportunity to read their papers, talk to them etc.
    Last edited by bek; 10-22-2012 at 12:32 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post

Okay so commentators were talking about how Gao got a perfect score on her math SAT, they didn't say the same thing for Rachael, so I'm assuming she didn't. Rachael applied to Harvard and didn't get in, Gao got in to both Harvard and Stanford. So based on that, I think it's safe to assume Christina is probably naturally smarter.

Also, did you see Christina and Rachael as little kids? Christina was as gangly and skinny as a colt, while even at her thinnest as a young teen, Rachael never had that gangly tween look, ever. So I'm assuming genetics play a factor into this. They are both competitive skaters and train a lot, so their difference in body types has to be explained by genetics and/or eating habits. Also has anyone ever said Rachael Flatt has the exactly right body type for skating?? If they have I've certainly missed it.

Anyways, any skater at this level works really hard, I'm not denying that. But for Rachael, extremely hard work on her skating was necessary for her to be competitive at the top level, whereas for Christina, because she's such a great natural jumper and has her body type working in her favor, she maybe doesn't need to be dedicating all her time to skating to be competitive at an international level.

As for socialization, I have no idea, I'm just judging from twitter and articles. Rachael talks about being in a sorority, going to football games, and regularly tweets about Stanford events, while as for Christina, I saw a picture of her hanging out with Ross Miner and Harrison Choate at the rink on a Friday, so I kind of assumed that meant she wasn't at a rager instead.

Sorry to sound presumptious, but really, some things just come easier to people. Hard work will only get you so far.

Ubering Max Aaron, Bobrova/Soloviev,Sotnikova, Gordi Pots!!!
    vCash
    Rachael got into Dartmouth, University of Denver, Duke, Johns Hopkins, Princeton, Stanford, UCLA and Yale. She was accepted to all but Harvard, which put her on the waiting list. But I guess only dumb people get into those schools listed above

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pinky166 View Post
    Okay so commentators were talking about how Gao got a perfect score on her math SAT, they didn't say the same thing for Rachael, so I'm assuming she didn't. Rachael applied to Harvard and didn't get in, Gao got in to both Harvard and Stanford. So based on that, I think it's safe to assume Christina is probably naturally smarter.

Also, did you see Christina and Rachael as little kids? Christina was as gangly and skinny as a colt, while even at her thinnest as a young teen, Rachael never had that gangly tween look, ever. So I'm assuming genetics play a factor into this. They are both competitive skaters and train a lot, so their difference in body types has to be explained by genetics and/or eating habits. Also has anyone ever said Rachael Flatt has the exactly right body type for skating?? If they have I've certainly missed it.

Anyways, any skater at this level works really hard, I'm not denying that. But for Rachael, extremely hard work on her skating was necessary for her to be competitive at the top level, whereas for Christina, because she's such a great natural jumper and has her body type working in her favor, she maybe doesn't need to be dedicating all her time to skating to be competitive at an international level.

As for socialization, I have no idea, I'm just judging from twitter and articles. Rachael talks about being in a sorority, going to football games, and regularly tweets about Stanford events, while as for Christina, I saw a picture of her hanging out with Ross Miner and Harrison Choate at the rink on a Friday, so I kind of assumed that meant she wasn't at a rager instead.

Sorry to sound presumptious, but really, some things just come easier to people. Hard work will only get you so far.
    There's a lot that goes into getting into an ivy league school that has nothing to do with how smart you are. When a school has a choice between a lot of kids with amazing test scores and grades. For example if your a legacy that helps. They might have liked that Christina lived in another country (and does she speak Chinese?) One test score doesn't prove anything either (and who knows if Rachael did higher in another portion) Both seem quite intelligent to me.
    Last edited by bek; 10-22-2012 at 01:11 AM.

vCash
    Lol! I got a perfect score on my SAT and I didn't get into any Ivy League schools. That's hilarious. College admissions =/= test scores =/= intelligence. My highest score on an SAT before that was 2200. I definitely think at least half of it was luck, same with college admissions. There are SO many qualified students now that universities have a tremendously difficult time selecting which students are to be admitted.

vCash
    Christina lived in another country?

“It is far more important to have a good judge than a possible conflict of interest." - Ottavio Cinquanta
    vCash
    Rachael is just not pleasant to watch. Sorry. Everything about her skating looks so labored, it's hard to believe she was a national champion and Olympian just two years ago. I get the feeling USFS was giving her one last chance with the SA assignment.

Ubering Max Aaron, Bobrova/Soloviev,Sotnikova, Gordi Pots!!!
    vCash
    Well yeah Canada, she trained with Orser.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    Christina lived in another country?
    Last I checked Canada is another country.

vCash
    Gao. Who would have thought we'd even be mentioning her now? Wow. Top 5 was gonna be a stretch and she ends up medaling- a silver to boot. Amazing.

BUT- I would not start throwing her name in with the contenders just yet. That was only one competition and she skated about the best she possibly could. And we all know skating is all about CONSISTENCY. Can she repeat this feat, start building up or was this simply the competition of her life?

Wagner is on the right track. Congrats to her on her first GP win.

And Flatt - well, pretty much what I expected. At least she didn't finish last!

P.S. Pinky - don't ever confuse "book smarts" with "street smarts"...totally different things.

vCash

Smile

Nationals in 2014 will be a brutal fight.
    If judged fairly, Nationals 2013 should be a brutal fight!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bek View Post
    Last I checked Canada is another country.
    I don't see how that would matter in getting into Havard. It's not like Canada is such a big difference when it comes to culture or language compared to the US. Now i can see living somewhere else like Italy or Germany would be more impressive since it's a totally different culture and a different language.

vCash
    After Skate America...Wagner's first GP title and Gao's first GP medal!

2012-13 U.S. Ladies -- Top International Scores

1. Ashley WAGNER (188.37), Skate America
    2. Christina GAO (174.25), Skate America
    3. Agnes ZAWADZKI (172.95), U.S. Classic
    4. Gracie GOLD (171.15), U.S. Classic
    5. Mirai NAGASU (163.09), Finlandia Trophy
    6. Angela WANG (162.65), JGP Zagreb

7. Hannah MILLER (158.52), JGP Linz
    8. Samantha CESARIO (157.72), JGP Linz
    9. Leah KEISER (156.33), JGP Istanbul
    10. Courtney HICKS (153.77), JGP Lake Placid
    11. Barbie LONG (147.19), JGP Bled
    12. Kiri BAGA (142.22), JGP Lake Placid

13. Vanessa LAM (140.89), JGP Courchevel
    14. Ashley CAIN (136.51), JGP Courchevel
    15. Rachael FLATT (136.09), Skate America
    16. Caroline ZHANG (124.13), Nebelhorn Trophy
    17. Nina JIANG (115.48), JGP Istanbul

Japan Open (free skate only) scores: Ashley WAGNER (123.57); Agnes ZAWADZKI (89.95)

Upcoming assignments:
    • Skate Canada (Gracie GOLD, Caroline ZHANG)
    • Cup of China (Mirai NAGASU)
    • Ice Challenge (Rachael FLATT)
    • Rostelecom Cup (Gracie GOLD, Agnes ZAWADZKI, Caroline ZHANG)
    • Trophee Eric Bompard (Christina GAO, Ashley WAGNER)
    • NHK Trophy (Alissa CZISNY, Agnes ZAWADZKI)
    • JGP Final (Leah KEISER, Hannah MILLER, Angela WANG)

vCash
    I don't see how that would matter in getting into Havard. It's not like Canada is such a big difference when it comes to culture or language compared to the US. Now i can see living somewhere else like Italy or Germany would be more impressive since it's a totally different culture and a different language.
    Anything though might give you an edge.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RD View Post
    Gao. Who would have thought we'd even be mentioning her now? Wow. Top 5 was gonna be a stretch and she ends up medaling- a silver to boot. Amazing.

BUT- I would not start throwing her name in with the contenders just yet. That was only one competition and she skated about the best she possibly could. And we all know skating is all about CONSISTENCY. Can she repeat this feat, start building up or was this simply the competition of her life?
    ITA. I remember when Jennifer Kirk finished 2nd at SA, and many people felt that she was finally on her way to being a contender. It never happened. I hope Gao can keep up this level of skating.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    The Lifeskate blog posted e-mail interviews with Rachael Flatt and Christina Gao conducted before they competed at Skate America and I'm cross-posting them here as well as in the Skate America forum in Kiss an Cry:

Rachael Flatt fights back at her critics by being happy (Oct. 12, 2012)

Christina Gao, Harvard student, sets eyes on Sochi Olympics (Oct. 19, 2012)
    Wow! I have so much respect for competitive skaters who can do the almost impossible task of competing and attending a brick and mortar high school simultaneously.

but highly regarded universities?-this is phenomenal!! Kudos to them both.

vCash
    Just to throw this out there: my best friend had a 3.95 GPA, 2280 SAT and great extracurriculars and didn't get into a single Ivy. The next year, people from our high school with weaker stats got into better schools than the ones my friend did. It's really got nothing to do with straight-up book smarts or perceived intelligence.

Page 21 of 50 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast