Page 13 of 50 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Skaters are not allowed to compete on the Senior and Junior Grand Prix in the same season (including pairs starting this season).
    Brooklee Han of Australia is competing in the senior event at Nebelhorn, even though she's already skated on the JGP (Lake Placid-8, Istanbul-12)

Can someone decipher the junior-senior rule? Or just not either gp series?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by icellist View Post
    Or just not either gp series?
    This.

Ashley Wagner and a young skater/fan: "the two in blue by [dressmaker] Jan Longmire" http://pic.twitter.com/cxyYkGq1
    Last edited by Sylvia; 09-25-2012 at 01:35 AM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isnít every four years, itís every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hedwig View Post
    But at the moment they don't keep giving her assignments. If the rumours are true, they gave her assignment to someone else (Agnes).
    All her other assignments she has earned herself (IMO).

I don't know if she will ever make it. But I do know that she is the only current US lady I really enjoy (therefore my view may be biased ) and I think she is a huge talent. Talent is not enough but as long as she is skating and shows that she may be capable of big things I don't understand why the UFSA would throw stones in her way.
    The "they gave Mirai's assignment to Agnes" rumor is just that, a rumor. It has been repeated enough in this thread that I fear it will soon be viewed as a fact. I don't think the USFSA can actually do that. My understanding is that skaters are chosen based on the previous years' scores. It seems odd that Mirai hasn't received a second assignment, and perhaps the USFSA is politicking for other skaters, but IF that is true, Mirai has only herself to blame. Her lack luster, seemingly under trained, performances since 2010 have done nothing to help her cause. I like Mirai's skating, and maybe having only one GP event is just the consequence Mirai needs to make sure she shows up at Nationals ready to fight formthe championship.
    A good rant is cathartic. Ranting is what keeps me sane. They always come from a different place. Take the prime minister, for example. Sometimes when I rant about him, I am angry; other times, I am just severely annoyed - it's an important distinction. - Rick Mercer

vCash
    ^^THIS.

vCash
    I mean, Mirai was second alternate behind Alissa (who doesn't want another GP assignment) based on the CoC score she got last year (somewhere in the 170s), yet was passed over for a second assignment for others such as Christina Gao, who didn't exactly sparkle last year either and will be attending Harvard this year.

vCash
    It is enough to make you wonder if she's being blacklisted to some extent.
    Keeper of Nathalie Pechelat's bitchface.

vCash
    this.
    and that would be a very stupid move.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hedwig View Post
    this.
    and that would be a very stupid move.
    It almost seems that USFS has decided to put all of their eggs in the Gracie G basket and are pretty much turning a blind eye to anyone else that might be deserving or who might be seen as threatening to their fave(?) I hope I'm wrong.

vCash
    USFS gave Nagasu a Senior B assignment (Finlandia Trophy) so I doubt they are "blacklisting" her. She may still end up with a 2nd GP assignment (it's the ISU's current system of alternate selection that's faulty, IMO).
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isnít every four years, itís every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    This.

Ashley Wagner and a young skater/fan: "the two in blue by [dressmaker] Jan Longmire" http://pic.twitter.com/cxyYkGq1
    is it the dress for the FS? wow

vCash
    USFS gave Nagasu a Senior B assignment (Finlandia Trophy) so I doubt they are "blacklisting" her. She may still end up with a 2nd GP assignment (it's the ISU's current system of alternate selection that's faulty, IMO).
    That's a good point; and I can't imagine she would have turned down an early GP if offered one; the only reason I can think of that she would turn one down would be if she was injured/unprepared, and if that was the case, she would have turned down Finlandia.

I'm still holding out hope that Nagasu will be assigned as a replacement. The sub list is starting to get limited; plus Silete hasn't been replaced yet, and I'm still skeptical about Czisny as well.

vCash
    Just how did Christina Gao get two assignments? She hasn't exactly set the world on fire since she became a Senior skater.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    Just how did Christina Gao get two assignments?
    You already asked this question in the GP Assignments thread: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...83#post3656083
    (ETA: Not that there seems to be a definitive answer about her GP alternate selection to TEB.)
    Last edited by Sylvia; 09-25-2012 at 06:50 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    Just how did Christina Gao get two assignments? She hasn't exactly set the world on fire since she became a Senior skater.
    I don't know too much about placements seeing as she was 5th and 10th at her assignments last year, but I do think Christina has quite a bit of untapped potential. She's never had the spotlight to shine and maybe giving her that extra spot is a chance for her to make her mark.

When you look at it from Mirai's standpoint, I feel as though she's having to earn her way back in. She was so blah last year I think they're going to make her work for it from here on out. She did well at her first competition and depending on how well she does at Finladia, she may get a later assignment...maybe NHK. Somehow I don't think Alissa's going to be ready...

vCash
    I don't think the French federation cares about any U.S. skater's "untapped potential"...

vCash
    ^^ I don't doubt that.

Left in the Kiss-n-Cry
    vCash
    Maybe I am reading too much into the politics, but I don't think if I were a fed like France I'd be dying to invite some skater who would only make my home skaters look and place worse. I'd have chosen Gao over Nagasu too.
    I meant to take the high road.... but I missed the exit.

vCash
    On an unrelated note - the selection of Gao over Nagasu at TEB did make Wagner's road to the GPF a little bit easier...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by peibeck View Post
    Maybe I am reading too much into the politics, but I don't think if I were a fed like France I'd be dying to invite some skater who would only make my home skaters look and place worse. I'd have chosen Gao over Nagasu too.
    Gao's SB was not in the top 24 though and neither was her WS. Her best score from last season was around 152 while Mirai's was like 173 (on the top 24) and her WS was also higher. I know Christina's first assignment to SA was a host spot, but that still counts as a first event and in terms of getting a second, you would think Mirai would get assigned before Christina no matter what the French Fed's desires are just based on protocol.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by peibeck View Post
    I believe it's the opposite. The French don't have a powerful ladies' team right now. So they don't lose much by inviting high level skaters and making it a world class competition.

Page 13 of 50 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast