Page 50 of 50 FirstFirst ... 40484950
    Title-less
    vCash
    Mirai medalled in her second gp the last three seasons, so her winning a bronze isn't really a surprise

Awaiting Validation
    vCash
    Speaking of juniors, didn't Vanessa Lam have a huge score at Sectionals? Is she skating as a junior or senior at Nationals?

vCash
    This will be Vanessa Lam's 3rd Nationals at the senior level (7th in 2011, 9th in 2012).

SENIOR QUALIFIERS via Sectionals:
    Easterns 1-4: Samantha Cesario 163.53, Yasmin Siraj 151.35, Haley Dunne 139.69, Joelle Forte 136.47;
    Midwesterns 1-4: Ashley Cain 161.49, Becky Bereswill 149.44, Kiri Baga 141.42, Morgan Bell 133.06;
    Pacifics 1-4: Vanessa Lam 177.73, Courtney Hicks 161.72, Sophia Adams 131.49, Amanda Hofmann 122.29.

ETA: Of those listed above, Cain, Hicks, and Hofmann are making their senior national debuts (as well as Hannah Miller, one of the 3 U.S. JGP Finalists).
    Last edited by Sylvia; 11-25-2012 at 02:49 AM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

Spin Alissa Spin!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by demetriosj View Post
    Angela Wang skated Senior last Nationals and is in the Junior Grand Prix Final in a few weeks. She also has verified triple-triples.
    Angela Wang was also 6th in the Free Program at 2012 Nationals. Ahead of Nagasu and Zawadzki in the FP.

I thought she was a little hosed on PCS in the FP since she was only 16th in the SP and skated in the earlier groups.
    Last edited by AliasJohnDoe; 11-25-2012 at 03:25 AM.

vCash
    I seriously love Angela Wang and think she has so much potential. My only concern with her is that she's prone to really weak SPs.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasha'sSpins View Post
    Agreed. Thrilled for Mirai-she medalled in her final GP of the season and wasn't even expected to be there! I'm very proud of all of the U.S. ladies. I'm very excited for the GPF, Nationals-and WORLDS!

Mirai was doing great but looking at her scores makes me wonder if she does not need to work on that 3S for next season..
    I think with her current layout and if she manages to get those UR's under control she will score 120+..but Ashley is already scoring 125+ with a 6 triple LP and will surely try to upgrade her 2A/2T to a 2A/3T and potentially score 130+??

Mirai looks very motivated and building up her confidence out there.I know it is not going to be easy for her to get those UR's and edge calls under control but I have always liked how she is going for it all and rarely pop any jumps..She has the talent to aim high and seems to be "hungry" to do better.I loved the fact that she was happy about her 3rd place at NHK (and rightly so) but not 100% satisfied with the scoring and seemed eager to get back into training.
    It is rather interesting how many "late bloomers" we have seen these last years and there are really no reason to count out these young women too early!

Awaiting Validation
    vCash
    Thanks, I knew it was something insane!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by victoriaheidi View Post
    I seriously love Angela Wang and think she has so much potential. My only concern with her is that she's prone to really weak SPs.
    Reminds me of a young Wagner.

And for the 3rd year in a row, Mirai is an alternate for the GPF. IMHO, I like Mirai's programs better than Wagner's this year. I will compliment in saying that Wagner never breaks character and performs better.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AliasJohnDoe View Post
    Angela Wang was also 6th in the Free Program at 2012 Nationals. Ahead of Nagasu and Zawadzki in the FP.

I thought she was a little hosed on PCS in the FP since she was only 16th in the SP and skated in the earlier groups.
    Yes, PCS is used just like the artistic score in 6.0. No difference, just a different name.

vCash
    That's why it's so important for the skaters to skate well in the SP... and why Angela Wang needs to keep churning out clean short programs like she did in her 2nd JGP in Croatia: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jx2qm--ZMWA
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by worldsnice12 View Post
    Mirai was doing great but looking at her scores makes me wonder if she does not need to work on that 3S for next season..
    I think with her current layout and if she manages to get those UR's under control she will score 120+..but Ashley is already scoring 125+ with a 6 triple LP and will surely try to upgrade her 2A/2T to a 2A/3T and potentially score 130+??

Mirai looks very motivated and building up her confidence out there.I know it is not going to be easy for her to get those UR's and edge calls under control but I have always liked how she is going for it all and rarely pop any jumps..She has the talent to aim high and seems to be "hungry" to do better.I loved the fact that she was happy about her 3rd place at NHK (and rightly so) but not 100% satisfied with the scoring and seemed eager to get back into training.
    A clean and inspiring Nagasu with a 3/3 in the short and 6 triples and 2 2axels in the free will definitely be a strong contender for the second spot.

Here's the catch. Last year she almost didn't miss the loop at all but had problems with the flip and axel/toe. This year she has the flip and axel/toe down but her loop is having UR issues again. Her opening jumps look so big this season. I wonder if she is using so much power to get the big jumps done that by the time the second half rolls around and she had to do the loops, she had little energy left. I guess she is just going to have to keep her stamina up.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    I wonder if she is using so much power to get the big jumps done that by the time the second half rolls around and she had to do the loops, she had little energy left.
    Cross-posting from an another thread that hasn't received much attention:

Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    She skates the Free and scrapes her knee
    Her dress has got a tear
    She waltzes on her way to class
    And whistles on the stair
    Tell her to keep it short and simple
    And she’ll go on from there
    I even heard her singing in the alley

She's always late for practice
    But her perseverance is real
    She's always late for everything
    Except for every meal
    I hate to have to say it
    But I very firmly feel
    Mirai's just a girl from the Valley

I'd like to say a word in her behalf
    Mirai makes me laugh

How do you solve a problem like Mirai?
    How do you catch a cloud and pin it down?
    How do you find a word that means Mirai?
    A flibbertijibbet! A will-o'-the wisp! A clown!

Many a thing you know you'd like to tell her
    Many a thing she ought to understand
    But how do you make her stay
    And listen to all you say
    How do you keep a wave upon the sand

Oh, how do you solve a problem like Mirai?
    How do you hold a moonbeam in your hand?

When I'm with her I'm confused
    Out of focus and bemused
    And I never know exactly where I am
    Unpredictable as weather
    She's as flighty as a feather
    She's a darling! She's a demon! She's a lamb!

She'd outpester any pest
    Drive a hornet from its nest
    She could throw a whirling dervish out of whirl
    She is gentle! She is wild!
    She's a riddle! She's a child!
    She's a headache! She's an angel!
    She's a girl!

How do you solve a problem like Mirai?
    How do you catch a cloud and pin it down?
    How do you find a word that means Mirai?
    A flibbertijibbet! A will-o'-the wisp! A clown!

Many a thing you know you'd like to tell her
    Many a thing she ought to understand
    But how do you make her stay
    And listen to all you say
    How do you keep a wave upon the sand

Oh, how do you solve a problem like Mirai?
    How do you hold a moonbeam in your hand?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    A clean and inspiring Nagasu with a 3/3 in the short and 6 triples and 2 2axels in the free will definitely be a strong contender for the second spot.

Here's the catch. Last year she almost didn't miss the loop at all but had problems with the flip and axel/toe. This year she has the flip and axel/toe down but her loop is having UR issues again. Her opening jumps look so big this season. I wonder if she is using so much power to get the big jumps done that by the time the second half rolls around and she had to do the loops, she had little energy left. I guess she is just going to have to keep her stamina up.
    I think it has mostly to do with her speed in the second half. After the second flip, she seems to be skating very slowly compared to the first half of the program.

vCash
    She only got an L2 for her steps at NHK, but L3 in China.

I'm impressed with her for doing steps so early in the program, but perhaps she should intentionally go for L2 and save her legs for the triples in the 2nd half of the program.

Really, she should do L1 steps and add the 7th triple, but apparently L1 steps are kiss of death or something.

But it seems a no brainer. She's losing how much by getting "<" for 3 jumping passes? A lot more than she gains by going for the L3 steps.
    Keeper of Nathalie Pechelat's bitchface.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smarts1 View Post
    I think it has mostly to do with her speed in the second half. After the second flip, she seems to be skating very slowly compared to the first half of the program.
    Exactly. She gets tired and it affects the height of her jumps. Either she steps up on her stamina training or dials down on the other elements.

vCash
    I think Mirai's body is probably still adjusting to her new coaching situation and adjusted training techniques. Wasn't there an IN article a few months ago that stated Wendy Olsen was really ramping up the off-ice physical training?

Thus, she's still a little wobbly with UR's and levels. Still, the big picture is that she's motivated and is losing that 'deer in the headlights' look

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smarts1 View Post
    And who says Nationals in 2012 won't be poorly skated again?
    I was unaware Nationals a second Nationals in 2012 is being held. When will it be, between Christmas and New Years.

I supposed though if that happened and Zhang did an even more unlikely resurgence to some of her best ever skating at Nationals like last year (last season she was skating well in the early season smallish events she was in unlike this year) it would net her the same result as last year, something like 4th place. Even in that scenario I dont see the judges and USFSA ever sending Zhang as the 2nd women behind Wagner to Worlds with Olympic spots on the line, no way. Maybe had she built on her last season momentum so far this season it would have been possible had she killed it at Nationals and other made mistakes, but not anymore. I think there is only a select few they will even consider for that spot, regardless of the performances at Nationals. We will see though.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    I was unaware Nationals a second Nationals in 2012 is being held. When will it be, between Christmas and New Years.

I supposed though if that happened and Zhang did an even more unlikely resurgence to some of her best ever skating at Nationals like last year (last season she was skating well in the early season smallish events she was in unlike this year) it would net her the same result as last year, something like 4th place. Even in that scenario I dont see the judges and USFSA ever sending Zhang as the 2nd women behind Wagner to Worlds with Olympic spots on the line, no way. Maybe had she built on her last season momentum so far this season it would have been possible had she killed it at Nationals and other made mistakes, but not anymore. I think there is only a select few they will even consider for that spot, regardless of the performances at Nationals. We will see though.
    What is terribly ironic is that back in '08 - '09, she had been the top US lady scorer finishing 4th at '09 4CC's behind Yu Na, Joannie and Mao in quite a stacked field, all at a time when her technique was worse. There were some saying that she (instead of Czisny) and Flatt should've been the US team at '09 Worlds.

Since then, she suffers, falls, and comes back w/ mostly improved technique, only to be at the bottom of the rankings for our top ladies these days. I'm not a huge fan, but I sincerely hope she's not giving up and there is a logical reason for her bad performances so far this season! She's tried too hard to fail now.

Page 50 of 50 FirstFirst ... 40484950