Page 49 of 50 FirstFirst ... 3947484950 LastLast
Results 961 to 980 of 998
  1. #961
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    1,467
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I'd put Gold and Nagasu in the same boat for No.2, they have the potential of scoring high
    Zawadzki is not a contender, she can easily implode in FS, I'd have Gao and Wang ahead of her

    sad to say but I think Flatt and Zhang are done

  2. #962

    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Minnesota
    Age
    26
    Posts
    9,000
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    1017
    Flatt is definitely out for the rest of the season to heal some nagging injuries.

    Zhang is going to need to dig deep and find some spark if she hopes to make the Worlds or 4CC team this year. She's looked absolutely dismal, which is a shame because she was fantastic at 4CCs last year.

  3. #963
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Age
    23
    Posts
    13,210
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    No matter what she does from here Zhang can always be proud of her 2012 comeback. It was inspiring to watch someone climb out of the ultimate depths and even be a contender at the U.S level again. I tend to agree both Flatt and Zhang are done as factors, 110% certain for Flatt, 85% likely for Zhang. It is too bad she didnt mantain her early 2012 level of skating, as the U.S women behind Wagner are still shaky enough she might have gotten some real consideration for the #2 spot if she had (which she wasnt ever going to really get at last years Nationals no matter how well she did and how poorly others did, as we basically saw play out).

  4. #964
    Banned Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    In my bedroom flipping the light on/off
    Posts
    916
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    No matter what she does from here Zhang can always be proud of her 2012 comeback. It was inspiring to watch someone climb out of the ultimate depths and even be a contender at the U.S level again. I tend to agree both Flatt and Zhang are done as factors, 110% certain for Flatt, 85% likely for Zhang. It is too bad she didnt mantain her early 2012 level of skating, as the U.S women behind Wagner are still shaky enough she might have gotten some real consideration for the #2 spot if she had (which she wasnt ever going to really get at last years Nationals no matter how well she did and how poorly others did, as we basically saw play out).
    See I feel awkward right now. I never realized I quoted JJ and agreed so much or JJ quoted me and agreed. Unless JJ is playing games with me and knows me and has my cell number, we have never had contact before.

    But anyway, okay, I agree with JJ. Couldn't have said it better.

  5. #965
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    3,920
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I'll see how Zhang does at Nationals before writing her off for good...I almost certainly do not see her contending for a world spot though.

  6. #966

    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Infected with the joy of skating!!
    Posts
    10,547
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    14026
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    I think they should just give it to whoever skates best at Nationals. No U.S lady this year should go into Nationals with any clear advantage except Wagner who deserves to be protected even if she somehow has a bad event there.
    Truer words were never written! I mean, COME ON USFSA. This is the year to let that 2nd spot be earned on the ice. I think all four are equally unreliable. I'm sure they want Gold to emerge as future star, but do they really want spots for the Olympics to depend on her? Go with whoever rotates their jumps, stands them up and skates like they want to be there.
    Keeper of Nathalie Pechelat's bitchface.

  7. #967
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    168
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    i think the us best shots as of now to try and get 3 spots are Mirai and Ashley.

  8. #968
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    3,920
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I think they should just give it to whoever skates best at Nationals. No U.S lady this year should go into Nationals with any clear advantage except Wagner who deserves to be protected even if she somehow has a bad event there.
    The bolded statements contradict each other- it can only go two ways: either they score based on what they see on the ice, OR they pick and choose favorites.

    Nationals needs to be fairly judged. If Wagner slips up, penalize her appropriately. If the GP is any indication, though, she can probably afford a mistake or two anyway unless Gold skates lights out.

  9. #969

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Partying with Oda
    Posts
    4,226
    vCash
    1799
    Rep Power
    34903
    Quote Originally Posted by RD View Post
    The bolded statements contradict each other- it can only go two ways: either they score based on what they see on the ice, OR they pick and choose favorites.

    Nationals needs to be fairly judged. If Wagner slips up, penalize her appropriately. If the GP is any indication, though, she can probably afford a mistake or two anyway unless Gold skates lights out.
    I agree with this.
    "I hit him with my shoes... if he had given me the medal like I told him to, I wouldn't have had to hit him!" -- 8-year-old Rhoda Penmark in "The Bad Seed"

  10. #970

    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Infected with the joy of skating!!
    Posts
    10,547
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    14026
    I think "it" means the 2nd spot.
    Keeper of Nathalie Pechelat's bitchface.

  11. #971
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    3,920
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Coco View Post
    I think "it" means the 2nd spot.
    Doesn't matter - can't request fair judging and then in the same breath ask them to "protect" skater X in case she slips up...they can do one or the other, but not both!
    Last edited by RD; 11-24-2012 at 10:08 PM.

  12. #972
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    SoCal!
    Posts
    1,784
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Remember the year that Miki got the Olympics spot because she medaled at the GPF? It does kinda make sense...

    Let's see how Ashley does there, because that WILL make a difference in her Nationals PCS. But not sending the girl with the #1 score of the season for 2 seasons running and the best record of any lady internationally this season would be really hard to explain, IMO.

  13. #973
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    3,920
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    This is a fundamental reason why I'm against the current USFS policy of simply sending the top finishers from nationals to worlds.

    When you place so much emphasis on one competition, what happens when someone who has done excellent all season long suddenly has an off-night at nationals? Whereas, if the world team didn't depend solely on nationals, there might be significantly less pressure on judges to hold up favorites (i.e. those who have skated well internationally) and more incentive to actually judge the competition fairly.
    Last edited by RD; 11-24-2012 at 10:28 PM.

  14. #974
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    1,983
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    It's amazing how fast people are going to write off Caroline. Almost no one had any faith for her last season or the season before that or even two seasons before the last one and she still managed to make a great comeback late in the 2012 season. Who says she can't do that again this season?

  15. #975
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    1,060
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by olympic View Post
    I also don't see any US Junior ladies being a menace at Senior nationals (Miller, Wang, Keiser, Cesario). There are a decent no. of US Senior ladies getting the job done that the Junior gals will be held back a little on PCS. front!
    Angela Wang skated Senior last Nationals and is in the Junior Grand Prix Final in a few weeks. She also has verified triple-triples.

  16. #976
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Age
    23
    Posts
    13,210
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by smarts1 View Post
    It's amazing how fast people are going to write off Caroline. Almost no one had any faith for her last season or the season before that or even two seasons before the last one and she still managed to make a great comeback late in the 2012 season. Who says she can't do that again this season?
    Well good for her if she can somehow skate as well as she did at Nationals last year, but even that netted her only 4th place in a really poorly skated event. This years event is likely to be stronger than last years, so even the same incredible skates (for her, given where she had come from, and where she would be coming from again this time) would likely not even net a result that high, never mind the 2nd spot on the World team.

  17. #977

    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Infected with the joy of skating!!
    Posts
    10,547
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    14026
    Quote Originally Posted by RD View Post
    Doesn't matter - can't request fair judging and then in the same breath ask them to "protect" skater X in case she slips up...they can do one or the other, but not both!
    Well, you can request anything you want, especially since the judges certainly aren't taking requests from us.

    I think stating that Wagner should be sent to worlds regardless of what happens at Nationals is just common sense. It's the system of deciding the world team at Nationals that makes "protection" necessary.
    Keeper of Nathalie Pechelat's bitchface.

  18. #978
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    3,920
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Coco View Post
    I think stating that Wagner should be sent to worlds regardless of what happens at Nationals is just common sense. It's the system of deciding the world team at Nationals that makes "protection" necessary.
    Exactly. Which just strengthens the point I made above about the big, glaring problem with using only Nationals to determine the World team.

    Suppose everything was judged fairly and the results turned out like this: 1. Gold 2. Nagasu 3. Wagner. Forget odds, likelihood, etc. and just suppose this happens. If we had some flexibility, you can send Gold as the champion, and then choose 3rd place Wagner over 2nd place Nagasu, citing better placements and/or higher scores on the GP (and GPF qualification). The way it's set up now, they'd probably boost Wagner's PCS or GOE to make sure she's in second position, robbing Nagasu of a deserved silver medal all because of how she performed on the Grand Prix. Rep Scoring at its finest. When does a competition stop being a competition and become a coronation? We just saw this at NHK.

  19. #979
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    1,983
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    Well good for her if she can somehow skate as well as she did at Nationals last year, but even that netted her only 4th place in a really poorly skated event. This years event is likely to be stronger than last years, so even the same incredible skates (for her, given where she had come from, and where she would be coming from again this time) would likely not even net a result that high, never mind the 2nd spot on the World team.
    And who says Nationals in 2012 won't be poorly skated again?

  20. #980
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Sending positive thoughts to Mirai..
    Posts
    3,717
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by sk8ingcoach View Post
    Im not a fan of Mirai, but she deserved 2nd at NHK and Mao should have been 3rd ( maybe even fourth )
    Agreed. Thrilled for Mirai-she medalled in her final GP of the season and wasn't even expected to be there! I'm very proud of all of the U.S. ladies. I'm very excited for the GPF, Nationals-and WORLDS!

Page 49 of 50 FirstFirst ... 3947484950 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •