Page 45 of 50 FirstFirst ... 354344454647 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Another thing to note, Wagner has convincingly beaten almost all the top Russian ladies in her 2 GPs (Sot and Leonova in USA and Tuk, Lip and Polina K in FRA) whom she is likely to compete against at the GPF and Worlds this season and in Sochi next season, without landing a 3/3 or even 2/3.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chipso1 View Post
    Congrats to Ashley on winning her second GP gold of the season in Paris!

2012-13 U.S. Ladies -- Top International Scores

1. Ashley WAGNER (190.63), Trophee Eric Bompard
    2. Gracie GOLD (175.03), Rostelecom Cup
    3. Christina GAO (174.25), Skate America
    4. Agnes ZAWADZKI (172.95), U.S. Classic
    5. Mirai NAGASU (163.46), Cup of China
    6. Angela WANG (162.65), JGP Zagreb

7. Hannah MILLER (158.52), JGP Linz
    8. Samantha CESARIO (157.72), JGP Linz
    9. Leah KEISER (156.33), JGP Istanbul
    10. Courtney HICKS (153.77), JGP Lake Placid
    11. Caroline ZHANG (149.87), Skate Canada
    12. Barbie LONG (147.19), JGP Bled

13. Kiri BAGA (142.22), JGP Lake Placid
    14. Vanessa LAM (140.89), JGP Courchevel
    15. Ashley CAIN (136.51), JGP Courchevel
    16. Rachael FLATT (136.09), Skate America out for rest of season
    17. Nina JIANG (115.48), JGP Istanbul

Upcoming assignments:
    • NHK Trophy (Mirai NAGASU, Agnes ZAWADZKI)
    • JGP Final (Leah KEISER, Hannah MILLER, Angela WANG)
    • GP Final (Ashley WAGNER)

CONGRATULATIONS, ASHLEY, ON ANOTHER GOLD MEDAL AND A NEW PERSONAL BEST SCORE!

After reading this thread, I just now watched the aforementioned program and was blown away by another perfect program from Ashley. Not surprised though. She's always had it in her, always, from the beginning. She has what cannot be taught - the heart of a champion, passion, *fight*, and consistency.

Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    For score buffs...

ISU Personal Best Total Scores - U.S. Ladies in the current top 50: http://www.isuresults.com/isujsstat/pbslto.htm

Thanks for the stats, well deserved, and correct imho. Ashley still has a ways to go to match Sasha's performance ability and artistry. However, she's getting there. Imho her "Black Swan" is almost on par with Sasha's "Romeo & Juliet". In fact she's always reminded me of Sasha in terms of fight & passion. However, oddly enough she reminded me of Michelle Kwan in this "Samson & Delilah" program. It's all good.

vCash
    Based on all those great scores, if these ladies keep their heads together and perform their best, Nationals will be a great event that I'm really excited for!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna View Post
    Ashley's spins looked strong to me in France. I do not understand the loss of levels on the FSSp and LSp. To me, they seemed like clear level fours. The combination spin at the end was rushed..she didn't hold the forward camel variation long enough so I can see the loss of the level there, The caller at this competition was pretty tough.
    The level three on the flying sit spin makes sense. Since they got rid of the 8 revolution feature for sit spins, she only has 3 features (the death drop, the first position, and the tuck under the spinning leg).

vCash
    I just dont like Ashleys programs. They are all the same too me. She just reuses the same stiff arm movements and boring choreography. Her jumps are good, her spins are ok but the program is boring

vCash

Smile

[QUOTE=pinky166;3748027]So basically after TEB it looks like US Nats is Ashley's to lose and she might not need a 3-3 or 2a-3t to win (or if she does go for them, can maybe afford some other mistakes). Also Gao's score here with a clean skate combined with last week's results make me think Gold is likely to be the 2nd girl on the World team, as for whatever reason, and whether deserved or not, she seems to have a slight PCS edge over Gao and Zawadzki, which, combined with her more ambitious content, explain why she was able to score higher than those two with more mistakes.QUOTE]

Yah, but say you miss seeing the first few seconds of Gold's Freeskate where she does her triple-triple. The rest of the freeskate is fairly weak, something you'd see at regionals or sectionals. Never close to clean. Nothing special. So I don't think she should automatically be considered a shoe-in for that second spot. A lot of talent out there besides her. Skaters who have both difficult and clean programs.

vCash
    So, if Wagner gets the levels down pat on her spins, and adds a 3-3 to the SP and 2x-3t to the LP, we could see her close to 200 pts., no?

As a strategy, she may want to stand firm with her programs as they are now for the GPF since it's just a couple of weeks away. Maybe, she should just work on those spins. Then, with all the time between the GPF and Nationals in January, work on the 3-3 and/or at least the 2x-3t to add those combos to her programs. I think Ashley could risk a fall in her performances at Nationals on such difficult elements but still make the team. She will need the more difficult combos by Worlds against world champ Kostner, a returning Kim, and perhaps head-to-head all at once against Asada, Suzuki and the Russian babies (even if she's beaten those last few skaters, they will probably be bringing it by Worlds).

BTW, watching Gao, she is becoming more a pleasure to watch each time. Does she have just as much of a legitimate shot as the rest at a Worlds spot?

ETA - I was looking at the roster for ladies at NHK. The advantage probably goes to the Japanese ladies (Asada, Suzuki) but Nagasu or Zawadzki could sneak in there for a medal
    Last edited by olympic; 11-18-2012 at 04:20 PM.

Title-less
    vCash
    I think Gao is ready to be US #2, imho. She's been skating senior at nationals for a few years and she's done gp for 2 seasons already, and 4 years of international experience together. Plus her basics is sound. The big question is her Harvard schedule next semester

vCash
    I think missing the Olympic and world teams in 2009, 2010, and 2011 were the best things that could have happened to Ashley. She has just totally stepped it up and is showing that she is a champion. I know its not the same type of "transformation" we saw from Michelle Kwan from 1995 to 1996 however it is similar in that she has made huge changes to make sure she is a World Champion contender. Although she did not go through the "little girl jumping bean to "artistic genius" in one year-she has gone from a second tier skater to possibly the one to beat at nationals and possibly worlds. She was NOT happy with all those third places at Nationals and it shows. In my mind she has gone from Emily Hughes status to-maybe not Kwan or Cohen yet but somewhere in between Sarah Hughes and Sasha Cohen lol.

vCash
    If we MUST compare Wagner that way, I'd say she's more of a Hughes than a Cohen. It's really the consistency that's keeping her in the mix...not sure if she could afford mistakes and still finish on the podium (like Cohen could do). But she's not yet on Hughes' level in terms of jump content...

vCash
    I tend to agree that Nationals is Ashley's to lose. Gracie may not yet have the mental game to successfully wind up in the #2 spot, or for that matter, Sochi. The jury is still out on the degree to which/speed she may or may not progress. Christina appears to have gone through that transition based on her Grand Prix performance, impact of Harvard responsibilities not withstanding.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RD View Post
    If we MUST compare Wagner that way, I'd say she's more of a Hughes than a Cohen. It's really the consistency that's keeping her in the mix...not sure if she could afford mistakes and still finish on the podium (like Cohen could do). But she's not yet on Hughes' level in terms of jump content...
    Well she is getting Asada-level PCS now as well as very solid GOEs and just beat a clean Tuk with 7 triples and 2 2axels by 6 points in the free. I think she can definitely afford a mistake or two.

Comparing her to Hughes just reminds me of Hughes' jumping technique and it just hurts my soul. Wagner's jumps were never that ugly no matter how much she flutzed, UR-ed or 2-footed them.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smarts1 View Post
    The level three on the flying sit spin makes sense. Since they got rid of the 8 revolution feature for sit spins, she only has 3 features (the death drop, the first position, and the tuck under the spinning leg).
    Thanks, was not even aware of this. Okay, so now everything makes sense.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sk9tingfan View Post
    I tend to agree that Nationals is Ashley's to lose. Gracie may not yet have the mental game to successfully wind up in the #2 spot, or for that matter, Sochi. The jury is still out on the degree to which/speed she may or may not progress. Christina appears to have gone through that transition based on her Grand Prix performance, impact of Harvard responsibilities not withstanding.
    I've said it before Gracie will most likely peak after Sochi. Question is if it will be to soon for her to make the Olympic team in 2014. Just look how long it's took Ashley to get to this level of skating. In 2018 Gracie will be Ashley's age in Sochi.

vCash
    It's the Renaissance of American Ladies. Good to see! Seems that Wagner, Gold, Gao and Zawadski ( and maybe Nagasu) are ready to compete and win over anybody. So excited for Nationals, Worlds etc.
    improving my ballad- like lines

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    I've said it before Gracie will most likely peak after Sochi. Question is if it will be to soon for her to make the Olympic team in 2014. Just look how long it's took Ashley to get to this level of skating. In 2018 Gracie will be Ashley's age in Sochi.
    Hate comparing skaters, but something about the hype on Gracie reminds me of Kimmie.

Title-less
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dinakt View Post
    It's the Renaissance of American Ladies. Good to see! Seems that Wagner, Gold, Gao and Zawadski ( and maybe Nagasu) are ready to compete and win over anybody. So excited for Nationals, Worlds etc.
    US ladies have been due for a rebound since 2010. They showed some signs of success the last two seasons, but misfortune and other factors ground their momentum to a halt at worlds the last two seasons. It's just a matter of time they are back for an upswing. So glad it happens this season and not after Sochi!

vCash
    Christina's EX: Gangnam Style! [featuring Piper Gilles, Paul Poirier and Zach Donohue] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMKGWX_NJH8

vCash
    ^^ Thanks for posting. That was great!
    A good rant is cathartic. Ranting is what keeps me sane. They always come from a different place. Take the prime minister, for example. Sometimes when I rant about him, I am angry; other times, I am just severely annoyed - it's an important distinction. - Rick Mercer

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by victoriaheidi View Post
    Christina's EX: Gangnam Style! [featuring Piper Gilles, Paul Poirier and Zach Donohue] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMKGWX_NJH8
    Tomas Verner (in the black wig) skated in the chorus with Gilles/Poirier.

It's great seeing this less reserved public side of Christina! I heard she changed her original exhibition program to this one rather last-minute and Zach Donohue helped her out with the choreography. #gaonamstyle is becoming a popular hash tag on Twitter!
    Last edited by Sylvia; 11-20-2012 at 03:08 AM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

Page 45 of 50 FirstFirst ... 354344454647 ... LastLast