Page 31 of 50 FirstFirst ... 21293031323341 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coco View Post
    Is it me or is Gold a lot thinner than last year? She didn't need to loose any weight, I wonder if it's affected her power.
    She and her sister Carly both look noticeably thinner this season. Maybe they've changed their diets, or perhaps grown taller, or both? I had noticed the same thing.

vCash
    I think it would be a good idea to stop the coments about weight. These are teenage girls. Gracie has enough to deal with without having anonymous Internet posters speculating about her weight.
    A good rant is cathartic. Ranting is what keeps me sane. They always come from a different place. Take the prime minister, for example. Sometimes when I rant about him, I am angry; other times, I am just severely annoyed - it's an important distinction. - Rick Mercer

Banned Member
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mag View Post
    I think it would be a good idea to stop the coments about weight. These are teenage girls. Gracie has enough to deal with without having anonymous Internet posters speculating about her weight.
    I disagree. I noticed the same thing. Sometimes rail thin isn't the best thing. When Ito ED'd herself to a shocking low, someone needed to mention it. Talking about someone's weight isn't a cry for ED discovery, but sometimes athletes can get out of control, where they lose their power and looks. Skinny isn't always the solution.

vCash
    The most important thing is that skaters find a healthy weight post-adolescence and stay there. It's important for the rigors of daily training, the stability of their jumps, and their mental game. There's no way you can consistently skate well if you're exhausted and worried about your eating.

Briber of judges
    vCash
    Gold was skating perfectly fine in practices from all reports. Her weight seems fine. There is certainly no noticeable loss of muscle in her legs and arms. If anything, her costumes accentuate her figure better this season. She has regularly admitted to having competition nerves. I would not read anything else into her performances at Skate Canada.
    I meant to take the high road.... but I missed the exit.

vCash
    The thing with skating is that often girls are desperate to be skinny, not fit. There's a difference between being in shape and being thin, and not everyone is going to look like Yuna at their fighting weight. Joannie has an amazing body and was a perfect example of someone who was absurdly fit but wouldn't have been able to get a Yuna look without some extreme dieting. Not that she needed to.

Unless you're naturally willowy, after a certain point the only way to get that thin look is by really dieting down, NOT exercising more and running 5 long programs a day, so when someone who already appeared in shape loses more weight it squicks me out when people applaud them for it. I haven't heard that with Gracie but I have with others. I remember reading comments about how Alena Leonova looked great and then months later reading an interview where she talked about how she only ate breakfast and nearly passed out one day doing a long. The praise for how thin Elene Gedevanishilli looked in practice weirded me out too.

Extreme dieting (not the same as an ED in my opinion) is far too common in skating. Having been a high level competitor myself, these girls often worry me. It's hard to draw the line between getting overly personal when discussing someone's weight, but I don't think it should be such a taboo. I really think we should put more emphasis on looking fit than looking thin and being able to separate the two, and discussion can do that. We hardly ever know the personal circumstances of a skater so it's really tricky, but I don't think general discussion of weight is inherently bad. It just disturbs me that it's ok to say "oh she's lost weight, good for her" and not "oh she's lost weight, I hope she's ok". The former is worse in my mind and the latter shouldn't be taken as accusation of an eating disorder. However that's just my opinion and I know plenty will disagree.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by peibeck View Post
    [Gold] has regularly admitted to having competition nerves. I would not read anything else into her performances at Skate Canada.
    This...

Awaiting Validation
    vCash
    I am wondering the same thing?
    Quote Originally Posted by demetriosj View Post
    What is Scott Brown's claim to fame? Was he an international competitor, medalist? Who else has he choreographed for?

vCash
    So now Gold is a headcase with an eating disorder? Seriously?
    My job requires me to be a juggler, but that does not mean that I enjoy working with clowns.

vCash
    So ... Any practice reports on Mirai or Alissa?
    A good rant is cathartic. Ranting is what keeps me sane. They always come from a different place. Take the prime minister, for example. Sometimes when I rant about him, I am angry; other times, I am just severely annoyed - it's an important distinction. - Rick Mercer

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by triple_toe View Post
    The praise for how thin Elene Gedevanishilli looked in practice weirded me out too.

Yes, me too.

& Russian coaches are notoriously known to blame weight gain when things are going wrong. (even if the issue is completely non-weight related, injury, nerves, etc.) Seems almost knee-jerk with them.

vCash
    I think it's important to address. Not saying Gracie has an eating disorder or that she's too thin, but her body has changed, whether the reason for it be simply growing up, growing taller, or a change in diet and/or training regime. Sometimes, losing weight can help skaters with their jumps, but not always. Remember how skinny Miki Ando got after she won Worlds in 2007? That's when she started to have UR issues, it was easy to see in her Cleopatra costumes how thin she had gotten. In the 2010-2011 season she seemed to put some weight back on and her jumps also got better and URs were no longer an issue, so it probably speaks to her "fighting weight" being slightly higher than someone like Yuna or Mao. Speaking of Mao, she lost a lot of power in her jumps too with her significant weight loss, not that it was her fault, obviously there was a lot going on in her life when it happened, but her jumps do seem stronger now that she is not quite so thin anymore.

Also it's not a secret that Russian coaches are strict about the diets their students follow. Anna Ovcharova and Adelina talk on their formsprings about how they do not eat in the evenings, and Anna was not eating sugar for awhile because her coach said she looked heavy. No one is saying Gracie has an ED, no one is saying she's too thin now or that she needed to lose weight before, it's just an observation and COULD be a possible explanation for why she hasn't been lighting up the world since becoming a senior lady. I'm sure people just want to make sure she's being healthy.

Go Denmark!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by triple_toe View Post
    I really think we should put more emphasis on looking fit than looking thin and being able to separate the two, and discussion can do that.
    agree so very much with this. I think that proper nutrition must be very important for any athlete, and I know for lots of athletes in other sports, it is all about getting ENOUGH calories (I recall an article about Phelps saying he was consuming10000 calories a day!)

“It is far more important to have a good judge than a possible conflict of interest." - Ottavio Cinquanta
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mag View Post
    So ... Any practice reports on Mirai or Alissa?
    Would like to know this myself.

vCash
    Gracie's programs aren't improving. People forget how slow she sometimes is, and the programs aren't helping her. Choreography wise Gracie is way far-fetched from being one of the best in the world.

People were just excited about Gracie because there hasn't been an actually pretty US lady who can do a 3lutz3toe with ease as of late. But these days, 3lutz3toes are for juniors.

vCash
    Yeah kinda wish Gracie would use a different choreographer. Not a huge fan of Scott Brown's work.

vCash
    I thought her programs as such are okay. God knows we've seen worse. coughMakarovacough.
    My job requires me to be a juggler, but that does not mean that I enjoy working with clowns.

vCash
    Makarova's programs this season are actually nice. Last year's long, I agree, however, Sotnikova's FS this season probably wins the worst program award for right now though. Anyways I sort of agree about Gracie, her JUMPS are world class, when she lands them to the best of her ability, the rest of her skating is just okay for now, meaning when the jumps don't come off as planned, she's suddenly mediocre, not that exciting, and her status as the next savior of US ladies figure skating seems far from a sure thing. Hopefully she will be better at her next GP, but if not, that's nothing new, and at least Wagner seems to be holding steady for now.

vCash
    Scott Brown's resume.

I think it would help Gracie tremendously if the 2nd half of her LP is re-choreographed and a different piece of music is used.

Briber of judges
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by analia View Post
    People forget how slow she sometimes is, and the programs aren't helping her. Choreography wise Gracie is way far-fetched from being one of the best in the world.
    Slow? Really?!?!? One thing that cannot be said about Gold is that she skates slowly.

Gracie reminds me a bit of Kostner coming out of juniors: she needs to learn to control that speed and her nerves. I concur she could use some better choreography, however I do think she has made a good deal of improvement in her stretch and artistry. I think the big question is: is making it to Sochi the end goal, or is she thinking beyond 2014?
    I meant to take the high road.... but I missed the exit.

Page 31 of 50 FirstFirst ... 21293031323341 ... LastLast