Page 29 of 50 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast
    vCash
    ^ Well, at least she is being honest about the issue.

Again, though- the stage is only going to get bigger so she needs to get used to it - fast!

vCash
    Funny to see so many excuses being made for Gracie, yet so quick to attack Flatt!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Don't understand why you feel the need to continue to over-hype her, love_skate2011. Just let Gracie develop at her own pace.

Quotes from Gracie and Caroline after the FS (IceNetwork article):
    Why must you always be the voice of reason, Sylvia? We want a superstar and we want her NOW, damn it!
    My job requires me to be a juggler, but that does not mean that I enjoy working with clowns.

vCash
    This was a weird ladies comp. If anyone told me that Elene G would lead after the SP and Kaetlyn Osmond would walk off with the title, I'd say, "cool if it happened, but I doubt it will." I really expected a gold from Akiko.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by demetriosj View Post
    Funny to see so many excuses being made for Gracie, yet so quick to attack Flatt!
    And once again, I would take the opinions of those trashing Flatt with a grain of salt.

Yet you seem to find a way to take another jab at Gracie.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by victoriaheidi View Post
    This was a weird ladies comp. If anyone told me that Elene G would lead after the SP and Kaetlyn Osmond would walk off with the title, I'd say, "cool if it happened, but I doubt it will." I really expected a gold from Akiko.
    It was really a fluke for Osmond. Will she really receive those types of PCS elsewhere? Osmond is fine, but honestly giving her those PCS after being a completely unknown skater until Nebelhorn is to me.

vCash
    I thought Kaetlyn was excellent in the sp at SC, showing a lot of verve and confidence, but her youth showed in the fp and she was over-scored. Sad for Elene (if only she had been able to calm her nerves, use them effectively) -- Elene has two great programs, but she needs to learn how to skate under pressure. I didn't like Akiko's sp, but I really enjoy her new fp.

To put it mildly, with what Ashley Wagner showed at SA, if she stays strong and confident and adds a bit more difficulty in her jumps as the season progresses, she beats all the ladies we've seen so far at the two GPs this season. Ashley confidently performed programs at SA with substance, maturity and depth, plus she overcame her nerves in the fp to skate cleanly.

On another note: Manleywoman must be pulling her hair out with all these Carmen renditions, OMG! Two in ice dance is enuf. Didn't need to hear it again in the ladies event. I don't think that Carmen really works that well for Kaetlyn at this stage -- not the best choice for her, but she sure has talent.

A good experience for Gracie, and give her time to mature and gain more experience in the spotlight.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aftershocks View Post
    To put it mildly, with what Ashley Wagner showed at SA, if she stays strong and confident and adds a bit more difficulty in her jumps as the season progresses, she beats all the ladies we've seen so far at the two GPs this season. Ashley confidently performed programs at SA with substance, maturity and depth, plus she overcame her nerves in the fp to skate cleanly.
    Honestly, I doubt Ashley needs to add any jump difficulty considering the scores she's getting right now without 3-3s.

vCash
    ^^ Ya think? I think Ashley will be upping the ante with her jumps as the season progresses.

Okay, just a bit of homecookin' at SA for Ashley in the sp, but jeez U.S. skaters do not have a strong politiking fed, and really have to skate clean as a whistle all the time if they hope to do well internationally, IMHO. As far as homecookin', it was really up North at SC in the ladies event and in the ice dance sd.

Ashley's got great programs, music, costumes. She's the complete package and I think she's very competitive with all the top-rated ladies internationally.

vCash
    For those with Ice Network, the Senior Ladies FS from UGL Regionals is now up. A bit of a struggle for Kiri Baga, but a great personal best program for Carly Gold!

Title-less
    vCash
    I watched both an hour ago. I prefer Baga's JGP LP to her skate at UGL.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smarts1 View Post
    It was really a fluke for Osmond. Will she really receive those types of PCS elsewhere? Osmond is fine, but honestly giving her those PCS after being a completely unknown skater until Nebelhorn is to me.
    I had the same reaction. I like her skating and I think she has potential...IF she avoids believing her own hype and continues to improve and all.

Back to the US ladies, I am a little nervous about Caroline. Does anyone know what exactly her injury is?

vCash
    Neither Caroline Zhang nor Peter Oppegard has alluded to an injury in the Skate Canada articles I've read.

ETA:
    Quote Originally Posted by maatTheViking View Post
    I don't recall there being anything else that US Figure Skating on the jacket, maybe I am wrong.
    Hilton HHonors has been a Team USA jacket sponsor since last season (their logo is featured on the right side)
    Last edited by Sylvia; 10-28-2012 at 03:10 AM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by victoriaheidi View Post

Back to the US ladies, I am a little nervous about Caroline. Does anyone know what exactly her injury is?
    The strap broke on Caroline's dress (reportedly) and she left some elements out of her program in fear her dress might fall off, especially with spins. Coach and referee decided to let her continue skating, as she had not stopped on her own. Recalls to mind Ross Miner's strap coming loose on his lower pants leg and dangling a bit as he continued to skate and got through it, even winning the bronze (I think this was at 4CC).

vCash
    I thought Kaetlyn was excellent in the sp at SC, showing a lot of verve and confidence, but her youth showed in the fp and she was over-scored. Sad for Elene (if only she had been able to calm her nerves, use them effectively) -- Elene has two great programs, but she needs to learn how to skate under pressure. I didn't like Akiko's sp, but I really enjoy her new fp.

On another note: Manleywoman must be pulling her hair out with all these Carmen renditions, OMG! Two in ice dance is enuf. Didn't need to hear it again in the ladies event. I don't think that Carmen really works that well for Kaetlyn at this stage -- not the best choice for her, but she sure has talent.

A good experience for Gracie, and give her time to mature and gain more experience in the spotlight.
    There was a comment made tonight by debbie and liz about how it has taken 25 years to finally see a version of carmen that was like-able. This was of course made during the dance but it was in reference to all of the carmen that was heard today. I believe it was some of the Canadian skaters joking around that the whole team was going to be mandated to skate to carmen by the time nationals rolls around

vCash
    The strap broke on Caroline's dress (reportedly) and she left some elements out of her program in fear her dress might fall off, especially with spins. Coach and referee decided to let her continue skating, as she had not stopped on her own. Recalls to mind Ross Miner's strap coming loose on his lower pants leg and dangling a bit as he continued to skate and got through it, even winning the bronze (I think this was at 4CC).
    Ooh...I wasn't looking for anything like that before, but now that I've seen it (IMO, it's visible if you know what to look for :p), she handled that situation pretty well.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Quotes from Gracie and Caroline after the FS (IceNetwork article): "I just really need more experience competing this program at the senior level," Gold said. "I was kind of taken with the crowd and the lights and the signs, and after I'd land one jump, I would get ahead of myself again and kind of mess it up. I have to work on keeping that in check."
    A good, honest response from Gracie. It sounds like she knows what to work on for next time.

Quote Originally Posted by demetriosj View Post
    The situations really aren't the same. This is Gracie's debut on the senior GP. While there was a lot of hype, there were also many who never expected her to be perfect and are going to be more understanding towards someone in her situation rather than an experienced skater who shows up untrained.

Quote Originally Posted by chipso1 View Post
    And once again, I would take the opinions of those trashing Flatt with a grain of salt.

Yet you seem to find a way to take another jab at Gracie.
    Since when did reasonable criticism become trashing? I really don't see where anyone in this thread was over the line with their comments about Rachael.

And jab at Gracie?

Awaiting Validation
    vCash
    I'm trying to be realistic about Gracie. She definetly has a few years until she reaches her prime. A little surprised about the jump inconsistencies, but I'm sure it was related to her nerves. Let's just hope this was a great learning experience for Gracie.
    My main concern is who will end up being our number 2 at Worlds. I am feeling very confident that Ashley can maintain her consistency, but we really need a consistent number 2. I'll be heartbroken if we don't earn 3 spots for Sochi. Speaking of consistentency or lack there of...what are your thoughts on Mirai at COC?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by emma1227 View Post
    I'm trying to be realistic about Gracie. She definetly has a few years until she reaches her prime. A little surprised about the jump inconsistencies, but I'm sure it was related to her nerves. Let's just hope this was a great learning experience for Gracie.
    My main concern is who will end up being our number 2 at Worlds. I am feeling very confident that Ashley can maintain her consistency, but we really need a consistent number 2. I'll be heartbroken if we don't earn 3 spots for Sochi. Speaking of consistentency or lack there of...what are your thoughts on Mirai at COC?
    After seeing Gracie's results yesterday, my thoughts shifted to Mirai. As this season unfolds, there is a door opening for Mirai to pass through. If she holds it together, she could deliver at CoC and make a case for herself (again) to the USFSA. However, how many times have we waited for that to happen?

But, I'm encouraged by her consistent 2x-3t and the fact that her overall demeanor is different from last season: She looks more concentrated this season. New coach and much less time on the road might make a difference. Her overall international marks thus far this season make her a dark horse on the nationals front.

Awaiting Validation
    vCash
    I agree, I am very encouraged by the 2x-3t! She does seem to be a bit different this season, and maybe the fact she's off the radar will benefit her. Although she has broken our hearts many of times With Mirai, it's really a matter of how much she wants it. There is no doubt she has the goods.

Page 29 of 50 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast