Page 19 of 50 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by n*ice mom View Post
    Katerina Kulgeyko withdrew from Senior Ladies. Any news?
    I know she's struggled with shin splints in the past, and something like that can often be a long-term, nagging injury/condition that never really goes away or fully heals, so it could be that. But I haven't heard anything.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Cesario will be 19 as of July 1, 2013, which means she will age out of ISU Junior in 2013-14.
    Oh, I thought it was 19 or under, not under 19. Thanks for the clarification!

vCash
    If at her second JGP, Cesario had skated the great free skate like she did at her first JGP and gotten the same score, she would have had done just enough to win silver there and qualified herself for JGPF despite her poor short program.

It's just bad luck with injuries for her, season after season.

vCash
    The problem is Cesario and Keiser needed to go 1 and 2 to push out Pogorilaya from the JGPF. If Cesario got second, Keiser would have been pushed out of the final.

vCash
    Cesario will be 19 as of July 1, 2013, which means she will age out of ISU Junior in 2013-14.

ETA that I don't think ioana will mind if I re-post her "live" play-by-play comment about Yasmin Siraj's "Seven Years in Tibet" FS at New England Regionals from Kiss and Cry just now (she scored 101.85, her highest FS score of the season so far):
    Thanks. I was just thinking about Yasmin and wondering what form she would be in. She's had consistency problems and I thought perhaps she'd get buried this season with the likes of Hannah Miller, Angela Wang, Samantha Cesario (pre-injury) and Leah Keiser doing quite well and moving towards the top.

Obviously, this isn't an international event, but the fact that she stayed off her butt and landed 2 3z's is a positive sign for her.

vCash
    New article on Ashley Wagner

vCash
    Another great article on Ashley.

Wagner's choreographer, Phillip Mills, who assists John Nicks in coaching the skater in southern California, liked what he saw in Tokyo.

"To bring out a new program when you're defending U.S. champion is always scary," Mills said. "I think it has the potential to be a really great program, and I already started making little revisions to it, tweaking it here and there."
    And regarding the infamous yellow dress:

"I wanted something in the golden or yellow tone, to symbolize the gold she [Delilah] got for selling out Samson," Mills said. "We are going to make adjustments to the dress -- we're going to tone it down with a little extra red or orange beading -- and some adjustments to her hair color as we did last year. I want her to stand out the minute she stepped on to the ice, and it stands out for sure."

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by olympic View Post
    Thanks. I was just thinking about Yasmin and wondering what form she would be in. ...

Obviously, this isn't an international event, but the fact that she stayed off her butt and landed 2 3z's is a positive sign for her.
    Yasmin Siraj had 1 jump (3T) called a fall in her New England Regional Senior Ladies FS, but otherwise it was a very good performance, I thought. Here are fan videos of Siraj at NE Regionals:
    "Seven Years in Tibet" FS (scored 101.85): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mREYtzU-Muk
    "Daphnis et Chloe" SP (54.99): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_tCxToClgg

Re-posting from the U.S. Regionals thread in Kiss and Cry -
    Senior/Junior Ladies High Scores after 6 Regionals:
    168.05 Vanessa Lam, All Year FSC [SWP, SR]
    156.84* Yasmin Siraj, SC of Boston [NE, SR]
    150.93 Barbie Long, Illinois Valley FSC [UGL, JR]
    148.98* Kiri Baga, SC of Bloomington [UGL, SR]
    145.75* Becky Bereswill, Detroit SC [EGL, SR]
    144.97* Carly Gold, Wagon Wheel FSC [UGL, SR]
    144.60* Lauren Dinh, SC of New York [NA, SR]
    142.37* Chelsea Christopher, Winterhurst FSC [EGL, SR]
    132.96* Jessica Young, DuPage FSC [UGL, SR]
    130.88 Selena Zhao, Highland SC [NWP, JR]
    130.54 Jordan Bauth, Amherst SC [NA, SR]
    * indicates skater's highest known total score of the season so far
    Last edited by Sylvia; 10-18-2012 at 07:36 PM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Yasmin Siraj had 1 jump (3T) called a fall in her New England Regional Senior Ladies FS, but otherwise it was a very good performance, I thought. Here are fan videos of Siraj at NE Regionals:
    "Seven Years in Tibet" FS (scored 101.85): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mREYtzU-Muk
    "Daphnis et Chloe" SP (54.99): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_tCxToClgg
    I adore her SP! It's the same one from last year but she's added some really great transitions to it, especially the steps going into and coming out of her 2A...and the entrance to her combo spin. It's such a beautiful program...

I've always loved Yasmin. She always has great music choices and wonderful choreography. I love her interpretation, expression and musicality. Even when the jumps don't work I still enjoy watching her skate b/c she performs so well. Both of those were really strong performances from her and she looks lovely...very beautiful costumes.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanatic View Post
    I adore her SP! It's the same one from last year but she's added some really great transitions to it, especially the steps going into and coming out of her 2A...and the entrance to her combo spin. It's such a beautiful program...
    I agree. Already loved the program last season but she seems to have grown more as an artist and performs it even more beautifully now. I really hope she can get her jumps a little bigger, I would love to see her break through and do well internationally!

vCash
    I hope the US ladies have strong skates this week at SA. Flatt and Gao especially - have such plates being at Stanford and Harvard. A lot of respect for their juggling these challenges. Obviously for those making the focus 100% to skating, that can make a difference, but still. Would love to see satisfied faces at the end of this week.

vCash
    Thanks for the scores and the clarification on Yasmin.

Also, Vanessa did well at regionals w/ 168 pts. She really has to get consistent, though. This is the 2d year in a row where she gets great scores early in the season but flubs her more important international assignments.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by olympic View Post
    Thanks for the scores and the clarification on Yasmin.

Also, Vanessa did well at regionals w/ 168 pts. She really has to get consistent, though. This is the 2d year in a row where she gets great scores early in the season but flubs her more important international assignments.
    Yeah it's unfortunate in that she probably wants to compete on the GP next season, but her JGP this fall might be the only ISU event she competes in this season as there will be a lot of competition to make any of the JW, 4CC, or Worlds team, and her score of 140 is likely to be way outside of the top 25 SB scores list she'd need to get a garaunteed event, and her WS isn't so high either, and will drop lower if she doesn't compete in any other internationals this season, so those two factors combined would make it unlikely she'd get selected for an event, meaning her only hope would likely be a host pick at SA, which the selection for could potentially be competitive with more well known skaters like Flatt and Gao possibly in the mix depending on how they score this season and do at Nationals as well as someone like Samantha Cesario. I know her international PCS and GOE aren't that great but if she skated cleaner at her internationals her scores would still be significantly higher than her current SB which is unlikely to get her anything next season. Too bad.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pinky166 View Post
    Yeah it's unfortunate in that she probably wants to compete on the GP next season, but her JGP this fall might be the only ISU event she competes in this season as there will be a lot of competition to make any of the JW, 4CC, or Worlds team, and her score of 140 is likely to be way outside of the top 25 SB scores list she'd need to get a garaunteed event, and her WS isn't so high either, and will drop lower if she doesn't compete in any other internationals this season, so those two factors combined would make it unlikely she'd get selected for an event, meaning her only hope would likely be a host pick at SA, which the selection for could potentially be competitive with more well known skaters like Flatt and Gao possibly in the mix depending on how they score this season and do at Nationals as well as someone like Samantha Cesario. I know her international PCS and GOE aren't that great but if she skated cleaner at her internationals her scores would still be significantly higher than her current SB which is unlikely to get her anything next season. Too bad.
    I think Vanessa's only hope is at '13 Nats where she'll really have to outperform herself, unless there is some sort of Junior B event she could do.

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    A Junior B event wouldn't count as an ISU SB score. In any case, Lam is 17 and has one more year of ISU Junior age eligibility left - she may elect to return to the JGP next year, depending on what happens at Nationals. She's graduating from public high school in June 2013 (according to her Team USA bio) and is an excellent student with plans to go to college. I don't see any need for gloom and doom about her future, on ice or off.
    Last edited by Sylvia; 10-19-2012 at 03:31 PM. Reason: To add link to her bio
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    I like Ashley's version of the Red Violin and despite the small problem on her 3L, she was very strong in the SP today. I loved her 2A with the falling leaf! To control the landing edge and jump right up into the split...gorgeous!

Christina looks like a new skater! She had the performance of the night for me and she was the only one who skated without an error. All of her jumps were clean, her spins are better positioned (especially the layback) and faster, and that program was just lovely! I see a lot of growth in her artistically. The program itself is just gorgeous and she really did a great job of hitting the accents and really feeling the music. I hope she delivers strongly tomorrow...I've always liked her and I'd really like to see her have a breakthrough year.

Rachael looked lovely in her dress, hair and makeup. The program was very slow at the beginning. I like the attitude she was giving but it was sans energy until the end. The ending was really nice with the spread eagles and the ending position. Unfortunately her score is a very clear indication of where the judges want her to go...

On a time traveling circus... with ice dancing?
    vCash
    Rachael's dress was just beautiful.

I agree that Christina had the performance of the night. Everyone around me in the crowd was gushing.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanatic View Post
    Unfortunately her score is a very clear indication of where the judges want her to go...
    Do you feel that the judges were not merely objectively evaluating her performance as skated, but also using the scores to indicate how they personally feel about her as a skater? I know this might sound like a silly question, but I am trying to understand the psychology of judging.

vCash
    I think the judges were just scoring Rachael for what she put out on the ice. She's never been a skater who could afford to make mistakes in the SP, and even when she was at her best, she needed her 3f-3t and 3lz just to stay afloat with the other top ladies. Now, she's not at her best, she has not accomplished much as of late so her PCS are not as strong as they once were and further hurt by skating early, she lightened up her content, and she made a mistake. The spins have never done her any favors or gotten her any GOEs, but she used to be able to get level 4s on most of them anyways but she didn't get the levels here, so honestly her score makes sense. PCS shouldn't be based on reputation but we all know they are, at least to a certain extent. So when Rachael was finishing 1st or 2nd at Nationals, winning JW, medaling at GPs, finishing 5th at Worlds - yeah her PCS were higher, but they've never been huge, low 7s maybe at best. So now for a good skate she'd maybe get mid-6s, this was a skate with errors and she skated first, so the high-5s aren't that surprising. She's never been a SP skater, her BV used to keep her afloat and make up for the lack of GOEs she got on her jumps and spins, and considering the reduced spots on the GP, with 3f-2t and 3lo as her planned content (which she didn't even manage here), it's to be expected she'd be at the bottom of the field. That's the standard of the GP.

vCash
    [QUOTE=kwanatic;3716884]
    Christina looks like a new skater! She had the performance of the night for me and she was the only one who skated without an error. All of her jumps were clean, her spins are better positioned (especially the layback) and faster, and that program was just lovely! I see a lot of growth in her artistically. The program itself is just gorgeous and she really did a great job of hitting the accents and really feeling the music. I hope she delivers strongly tomorrow...I've always liked her and I'd really like to see her have a breakthrough year.

Maybe, if Nationals were ever really judged fairly.....even with a superior program, do you think the USFSA judges would place Gao ahead of Ashley or Gracie?

Page 19 of 50 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast