Page 8 of 50 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
    vCash
    The edge issue with Gracie's 3f and the somewhat problematic status of her 3lo make me wonder if the SP will be where she struggles to keep pace. The edge call would negate any positive GOEs she would likely otherwise get on the 3f-3t combo, so then the Rippon 3lz and the extra points it gains might not be as much of an advantage as it would be otherwise. And if she were to switch to 3lz-3t, she couldn't do the Rippon lutz and her solo jump would either be 3f (likely with an edge deduction) or a 3lo, which she seems prone to messing up. Whereas in the FS she could do 3lz-3t and then a solo Rippon lutz, and then repeat 3t or 3s instead of 3f.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pinky166 View Post
    The edge issue with Gracie's 3f and the somewhat problematic status of her 3lo make me wonder if the SP will be where she struggles to keep pace. The edge call would negate any positive GOEs she would likely otherwise get on the 3f-3t combo, so then the Rippon 3lz and the extra points it gains might not be as much of an advantage as it would be otherwise. And if she were to switch to 3lz-3t, she couldn't do the Rippon lutz and her solo jump would either be 3f (likely with an edge deduction) or a 3lo, which she seems prone to messing up. Whereas in the FS she could do 3lz-3t and then a solo Rippon lutz, and then repeat 3t or 3s instead of 3f.
    The 3Loop is a problematic jump for Gracie, clearly, but she is capable of doing it. She got full credit for the jump at U.S. Nationals and at WTT. Not the best execution rate, but don't think that necessarily warrants her leaving the jump out at competitions.

As for the flip, I don't think she has a super lip---it's borderline, I'd say. She didn't get such calls last season, so I think it's a matter of just reigning it in and not rushing it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    It isn't the first time Gold messed up the 3loop and I have only watched her a couple of times. Perhaps she should move it earlier?

How about

3lutz3toe
    3loop
    3flip half loop 3sal
    -
    3lutz
    2axel2toe
    3toe or 3sal (if he popped earlier attempts)
    3toe or 3sal, or 2axel if she already repeated 2 types of triples

7 triples and 2 2axels is already very competitive - she doesn't need to care too much about the 10% bonus... and I am replacing the 3flip with the 3toe or 3sal, whichever she feels better about, because she gets the "e" on the flip.
    I'm wondering if she should go for a 2a/3toe (did it with ease last season), ditch the second 3flip and do a double "rippon" lutz as her last jumping pass. If she misses one of the 3t's she could always put in a solo 3t or 3sal instead of the 2lutz.

so it would be:
    3lz/3t
    3r (I agree, get it done early)
    3f/.5r/3s
    2a/3t
    2a
    3z
    2z 'rippon' variation

vCash
    If her combo in the SP is a 3fwhatever, is it still mandatory -GOE if she gets an edge call? Or can the + GOE on the jump combination cancel it out?
    Keeper of Nathalie Pechelat's bitchface.

vCash
    Is Gold's lip like Kim's - only an issue when the jump is to be done in combination?

vCash
    Gracie gets edge calls on Flip and Loop sometimes but
    I'm more focused on her loop as she tends to pop or fall on it.

Gracie is a good Free Skater so normally she bounces back, see even from her recent US Classic

this season US junior ladies are doing well
    I see Keiser medaling in JGP Turkey, Miyahara is beatable and is not a gold lock
    Last edited by love_skate2011; 09-18-2012 at 07:58 AM.

vCash
    ^ Gracie hasn't fallen on a loop yet in competition.

vCash
    I thought Gracie Gold's spins looked improved at the Salt Lake City Senior B.

Here's an article about her from SLC: http://www.teamusa.org/News/2012/Sep...acie-Gold.aspx
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coco View Post
    If her combo in the SP is a 3fwhatever, is it still mandatory -GOE if she gets an edge call? Or can the + GOE on the jump combination cancel it out?
    According to the current rules,

The deduction for a "severe wrong edge take-off F/Lz (sign 'e')" is -2 to -3 and the final GOE must be in the minuses.

The deduction for an "unclear edge take-off F/Lz (sign 'e')" is -2 to -3 and the final GOE is not restricted.

No more ! symbol for unclear edges.

So if the tech panel calls marks the "e" on a flip or lutz, the judges don't know whether the tech panel considered the takeoff edge severely wrong or just unclear. They each need to use their own judgment.

I.e., if a judge saw or suspected the wrong edge in real time before the tech panel review and already took the minus, she would probably keep it or lower it.

If the judge thought the jump was great in real time and didn't notice any edge problem, she might start with a positive GOE and then subtract 1 after seeing the e call.

If she specifically noticed the edge was clearly correct in real time, or had a good view of the tracing which showed that to be the case, she could decide that even if it was unclear from the tech panel's point of view it was perfectly clear that it was correct from her point of view and she's not going to penalize it at all.

vCash
    Here's how the panel scored Gracie's flips:

Short program
    2F(e)+2T BV 3.10 -0.90 -3 -3 -3 -3 -3 2.20

Long program
    3F (e)+1Lo+3S BV10.00 0.00 0 0 0 0 -1 10.00

3F<(e) BV 4.07x -2.10 -3 -3 -3 3- 3 1.97

It's unclear to me how much impact the edge call had on the final score. With the combo in the SP, she would have received an automatic -3 for not doing the required combo.

As you can see in the FS with the first combo, only one judge opted to give any negative GOE. A solid combo otherwise (good 3S, good flow, etc...) may have lead to her getting zero instead of +GOE.

And in the solo jump, she would have received a -3 anyway for the fall. Judges are also advised to give -1 or -2 in GOE for a UR.

Also gkelly, according to ISU Communication 1724, the deduction for a unclear edge is -1 or -2 not -2 or -3 as you noted. We don't really know if the tech caller called it an unclear edge or a severe edge.

Given she has not received such calls in the past, I am inclined to say it's not a severe edge. She has been flat before, so I think it's a matter, again, of reining it in. That is, just being mindful during program runthroughs.
    Last edited by Mrs. P; 09-19-2012 at 05:51 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gkelly View Post
    According to the current rules,

The deduction for a "severe wrong edge take-off F/Lz (sign 'e')" is -2 to -3 and the final GOE must be in the minuses.

The deduction for an "unclear edge take-off F/Lz (sign 'e')" is -2 to -3 and the final GOE is not restricted.

No more ! symbol for unclear edges.

So if the tech panel calls marks the "e" on a flip or lutz, the judges don't know whether the tech panel considered the takeoff edge severely wrong or just unclear. They each need to use their own judgment.

I.e., if a judge saw or suspected the wrong edge in real time before the tech panel review and already took the minus, she would probably keep it or lower it.

If the judge thought the jump was great in real time and didn't notice any edge problem, she might start with a positive GOE and then subtract 1 after seeing the e call.
    Thank you, I remember this now. I blocked it from memory because I thought it such a horrible idea, especially with the .7 difference in base value between 3f and 3z.
    Keeper of Nathalie Pechelat's bitchface.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
    Also gkelly, according to ISU Communication 1724, the deduction for a unclear edge is -1 or -2 not -2 or -3 as you noted.
    Yes, sorry, I knew that but I didn't post it correctly.

We don't really know if the tech caller called it an unclear edge or a severe edge.
    Exactly. The way the "e" call works now, basically the tech panel is telling the judges "Think carefully about what you saw on that takeoff edge and how you want to score it. We checked the replay, and it did not look clearly correct to us."

vCash
    Did anyone see Rachel this weekend? I heard she scored around 103 which is pretty good for an early season event.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by used2skate View Post
    Did anyone see Rachel this weekend? I heard she scored around 103 which is pretty good for an early season event.
    Unfortunately, that's 103.93 over both phases of competition.

short program (40.26; one deduction)

and

free skate (63.67; one deduction)
    I can call the moon a pear, but it doesn't make it so. -- kwanfan1818

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by falling_dance View Post
    Unfortunately, that's 103.93 over both phases of competition.

short program (40.26; one deduction)

and

free skate (63.67; one deduction)

vCash
    Here's the fs protocol
    http://www.stmoritzisc.org/SkStm12/I...l/SEGM015.html

Rachel was beaten by a kid without a 2A...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sk8indel View Post
    Here's the fs protocol
    http://www.stmoritzisc.org/SkStm12/I...l/SEGM015.html

Rachel was beaten by a kid without a 2A...
    Oh dear. To think she once placed 5th at Worlds...

Helping Mirai choose between Italian dressing and vinaigrette.
    vCash
    Uh no place to go but up this season for Rach. And why does she have an assignment at SA again?

vCash
    Surely that assignment will be reviewed in light of this result?
    A good rant is cathartic. Ranting is what keeps me sane. They always come from a different place. Take the prime minister, for example. Sometimes when I rant about him, I am angry; other times, I am just severely annoyed - it's an important distinction. - Rick Mercer

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarrett View Post
    Uh no place to go but up this season for Rach. And why does she have an assignment at SA again?
    Oh my. All doubles except one 3F with negative GOE? And only one 2A which she fell on? Oh my. Skate America is less than a month away.

I don't suppose Mirai is ready?

Page 8 of 50 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast