Page 3 of 50 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by peibeck View Post
    Mirai was doing the 2A/3T combo in practices and during the warm-up at Nationals. Mirai changed the layout of her FS program as she was skating it that night from what she had been practicing. I don't think that is Frank's fault.
    Yeah, I thought she was going for a 2A-3T at first too, but then her planned elements sheet at Nationals said that she was only going to do a 2A-2T.

vCash
    Courcheval was very high altitude. All the scores were low in Mens and Ladies due to the uncharecteristic amount of falls. It took it's toll on most of them!

vCash
    Okay, so the US ladies were a bit disappointing in Courchevel. I'm not surprised about Cain's jump struggles at all (but kudos to her for landing two nice triples after a VERY hard fall!) Ashley a very nice skater to watch. She's mature and elegant with great skating skills and beautifully long lines but she has to work on making the jumps more consistent or she'll never find herself on any podium. Verdict: No further JGP assignments this fall.

Vanessa Lam's struggles were a bit more surprising. I'm beginning to wonder if she peaked at the Hidden Valley Open this year. I like her FS a lot, but it was littered with errors this time. I'm kind of shocked because she was doing/scoring so well this summer, but it happens. It's a shame she missed that last 2A because the fall + lack of the second 2A were what cost her the bronze. If she had won the bronze I would say go ahead and reassign her, but she didn't, and so I think she should not be reassigned yet. We have to wait until our medal contenders at the next events (Hicks, Wang, Cesario, Miller, Keiser) skate before we make a decision about Lam. If the majority of them perform poorly, she could find herself with a second assignment, but if the majority of them perform well (i.e. medal) then she's out.

vCash
    i can only accept giving vlam or any of the other already-assigned ladies a 2nd IF barbie, mariah, polina already have been assigned to one JGP each.

IMO if none of the presumed contenders skate and place well, none of them should get a second assignment. odds are some will place well and earn 2nd assignment, but why should USFS assign a 2nd to vanessa just because the other 'contenders' also fail to live up to expectations? have we run out of JGP eligible ladies already?

also, i don't understand why cain had such an advantage over lam in courchevel LP PCS. neither cain nor lam had especially attractive posture. cain's posture has gotten so much more horizontal in the last couple of years--it is disappointing to see. i also think lam's LP had more variations in speed, mood, more interesting choreography, and lam expressed the character of her program better. lam didn't have as many disruptive falls as cain, either.

look, i recognize that lam has improved her presentation tremendously from last season, and she didn't exactly bomb her first JGP, but the JGP pool in the US is deep. why should any skater receive 2 even if she didn't medal? because she was a pre-season favorite? are there so many JGP spots to go around that we don't have enough JGP eligible ladies to receive them?

polina edmunds, mariah bell, barbie long all deserve a shot at a first JGP more than any non-medaling contender deserve a shot at *two.* unless USFS have already put out the word that any JGP lady who scores more than say, 110 in a JGP LP (62 TES, or whatever) will get a second JGP regardless of where she finishes.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skfan View Post

polina edmunds, mariah bell, barbie long all deserve a shot at a first JGP more than any non-medaling contender deserve a shot at *two.* unless USFS have already put out the word that any JGP lady who scores more than say, 110 in a JGP LP (62 TES, or whatever) will get a second JGP regardless of where she finishes.
    ITA!

vCash
    Champs Camp article covering the rest of the ladies there -- Nagasu, Gold, Flatt, Zhang, and Czisny: http://web.icenetwork.com/news/artic...&vkey=ice_news

Wendy Olson is Nagasu's primary coach with Amy Evidente assisting on "off-ice work and nutrition planning"; her programs were choreographed by Susan Austin (who choreographed her 2006-07 Junior programs) "with Bebe Liang assisting with the footwork sequences."
    Last edited by Sylvia; 08-27-2012 at 08:11 PM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Thanks Sylvia - interesting read

Nagasu is solving a big problem of hers by getting a lot more training time (snip of the article - bold mine)

"After nationals last year, I took a lot of time off and thought about what I wanted to change," said the 19-year-old Nagasu, who placed seventh at the 2012 U.S. Figure Skating Championships. "The main thing that struck hard was the drive and how tiring it was. To make it all the time didn't feel it was well worth my time. I decided I wanted to make a change. Even though Frank and I worked really well, a lot of distractions came in the way.

"I wanted to start fresh again, and I decided going to a rink close to my house would be a better idea. I've been in the gym way more; four [extra] hours a day makes a big difference. You might not know it, but just sitting there in the car takes a big toll on the body, even if you're not burning any calories. I think it's been helpful to me to get out of the car and hit the gym."
    Even more interesting to me was Flatt. It sounds like sleep and scheduling were a big impediment to her last season which she is solving (snip - bold mine) -

Flatt, soon to begin her sophomore year at Stanford University, took the lessons she learned combining college and skating last season into her planning for the fall.

"I'm putting together nice schedules now," she said. "Fall quarter, freshman year was obviously really tough. Adjusting to college life is difficult to begin with, but on top of that, there was switching to new coaches -- whom I love -- and adjusting to the Bay Area traffic. Now I can go to the rink when I'm actually awake, not at 6:00 a.m. after I've spent all night coding for some engineering class."

Flatt plans to skate in San Jose every morning, with a few trips a week to Oakland in the afternoon.

"My first class every day this upcoming quarter is at 10:00 a.m., so I get to sleep in until 6:30 or 7:00 in the morning, and then head down and train," she said. "I'm excited I will have a sleep schedule that resembles something normal."
    Some interesting strategy jump-wise for Zhang. She'll be adding the 3sal! AS well as keeping the 3l-3l (snip - bold mine) -

"I've been working with David for a few years now -- he's an amazing choreographer, and he helps incorporate my skating skills into the program," she said. "I will be adding the triple Salchow back into the long program this year. It's been a problem jump for a couple of years, and I didn't include it last season because I was focusing on the triple loop-triple loop and the other jumps."

Ironically, it's Zhang's spins -- including her famous "pearl" spin -- that are causing some challenges.

"She got some exquisite numbers from David again," said Peter Oppegard, who with wife Karen Kwan-Oppegard trains the skater in Artesia, Calif. "She had the short re-worked, to fold in the triple loop-triple loop better and change the footwork to [satisfy] the rules. She's working to get the endurance to perform the new free skate up to its ability, and the early signs [are] I like it very much.

"She has had some back issues -- she has some beautiful new spins in the program -- but we might take a few positions out to save her back a little bit here [at Champs Camp]. We definitely want everything in for Oberstdorf; we're going to push hard for that one."
    Par for the course for Gracie.

I wish them all well

vCash
    Interesting that Flatt is admitting that it was too much last year. That schedule was absolutely brutal, but it was all butterflies and unicorns and rah, rah Stanford from her.

vCash
    (((Caroline's back)))

"It's been going very well," Olson
    said. "We've just added the off-ice
    [training], and she's warming up
    before she skates.
    thought elite skaters all warm up before skating?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PDilemma View Post
    Interesting that Flatt is admitting that it was too much last year. That schedule was absolutely brutal, but it was all butterflies and unicorns and rah, rah Stanford from her.

Injuries that were mentioned:
    Flatt....
    "Flatt took time off after the U.S. championships to heal up from some nagging injuries, including tendonitis in both ankles to the point where, as she said, "I could hardly stand to be in my skates for more than five minutes, and, obviously, training for five minutes a day doesn't work." Reconstructed boots helped solve the problem."

Zhang....
    "Ironically, it's Zhang's spins -- including her famous "pearl" spin -- that are causing some challenges."
    "She has had some back issues -- she has some beautiful new spins in the program -- but we might take a few positions out to save her back a little bit here [at Champs Camp]. We definitely want everything in for Oberstdorf; we're going to push hard for that one."

And, of course, Czisny...
    "I'm at week 11 [after surgery]. I get back on the ice next week," Czisny said. "Last week I just started doing things like ballet, running and agility stuff. Two weeks ago I started stretching again. It's coming back fast, [but] it's still a long process. I just have to make sure I don't push anything ... We'll start with figures, stroking and spins, and jumping after that."

vCash
    the amount of info on her education has always been a bit too much, honestly. i mean, going to school should be a private matter. it's part of her private life...unless she is, say, a huge celebrity or a famous scholar. as a skating follower, i'm interested in what skaters do inside a rink, not in "her struggles to balance education and skating".

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by martyross View Post
    the amount of info on her education has always been a bit too much, honestly. i mean, going to school should be a private matter. it's part of her private life...unless she is, say, a huge celebrity or a famous scholar. as a skating follower, i'm interested in what skaters do inside a rink, not in "her struggles to balance education and skating".
    Other than the fact that she happens to be going to an elite university, Flatt isn't really much different from her contemporaries -- and not just skaters. Young people today share a lot -- too much, if you ask me -- about their private life in very public forums -- Tweets, blogs, home pages, and, in the case of athletes like Flatt, media interviews. Unless their parents and teachers (and coaches) impress upon them the risks of disclosing so much about oneself to the public, it isn't going to stop. The media certainly aren't going to shy away from publishing personal details celebrities reveal in interviews.

vCash
    I'm from a similar program and I know what it's like. I knew she would burn herself out...I was wondering how in the world she was able to handle it all...it's just way, way too much for ANYONE and I don't care who you are.

That said, a BIG part of the college adjustment process is figuring out how much of a workload you can reasonably handle. Common to think you can "do it all", and then realize there are only so many hours in the day...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    Other than the fact that she happens to be going to an elite university, Flatt isn't really much different from her contemporaries -- and not just skaters. Young people today share a lot -- too much, if you ask me -- about their private life in very public forums -- Tweets, blogs, home pages, and, in the case of athletes like Flatt, media interviews. Unless their parents and teachers (and coaches) impress upon them the risks of disclosing so much about oneself to the public, it isn't going to stop. The media certainly aren't going to shy away from publishing personal details celebrities reveal in interviews.
    What detail(s) is Flatt divulging? Other than she was trying to manage the Bay Area commute, class work, and skating? Again, you have to keep in mind that the questions come from the author of the article, and the interviewee provides the answers. Not all that different than Mirai talking about her commute 2x a day with her mom to work with Frank, or her art classes. Honestly, I think it is nice to hear about the other side of the skaters lives...provides some depth to their lives; it paints a more complete picture. If all I ever heard from a skater was about what goes on in a rink, it makes for a rather boring story. It is just that the skaters who attend school, or work to cover their training costs, DO have more on their plates. And, I think, as an observer, helps us to understand just what these athletes have to juggle to make it all work. Very few skaters have the capacity to support themselves and their training thru skating shows/exhibitions/tours/endorsements, etc. I don't need or even want to know every detail about these young adults lives...but to know that they have interests or lives away from the ice ...it could even be their volunteer work, or their pets...makes them more "real", more relatable, less 2-dimensional. I don't think Flatt (or any of the other skaters for that matter) were divulging state secrets. Yup, maybe the media focuses too much on Flatt's academic life. That isn't her fault. It's an easy question, and to me, demonstrates a fairly small canvas the interviewer is painting. And, I am also glad that she admitted that it was alot for her to juggle her freshman year. That first year at university is tough for any student. But, she managed to come out of it, with a new perspective, learned a few things, and is making adjustments. As is Mirai. She has made huge changes...leaving Frank, working with a different coaching team, she attended classes this summer. And, also learned that commuting those sorts of hours are difficult at best. They all have to learn to make adjustments. That's part of growing up. :-)
    Last edited by B.Cooper; 08-28-2012 at 02:35 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Champs Camp article covering the rest of the ladies there -- Nagasu, Gold, Flatt, Zhang, and Czisny: http://web.icenetwork.com/news/artic...&vkey=ice_news
    I'm excited to see Gold try the 3F-3S sequence, very cool. But I wonder what will be her LP layout, and how she'll use this to her benefit in terms of racking up points.

I love Rachael's Firebird, I'm glad she's keeping it.

Cool to see Bebe will be doing choreo for Mirai.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FunnyBut View Post
    I'm excited to see Gold try the 3F-3S sequence, very cool. But I wonder what will be her LP layout, and how she'll use this to her benefit in terms of racking up points.
    Going by her FS at Skate Detroit, Gracie's planned jumping passes are:

3Lz+3T
    3F+3S SEQ
    2A
    3L
    2A+2T*
    3Lz*
    3F*

ETA: Yes, the 1/2 loop counts as a "1L" and is her 3-jump combo.
    Last edited by chipso1; 08-28-2012 at 12:19 AM.

vCash
    At Skate Detroit (her final round FS), Gold landed a 3F+1Lo(half loop)+3S combination. Here's the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KDMEn8IMrc
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chipso1 View Post
    Going by her FS at Skate Detroit, Gracie's planned jumping passes are:

3Lz+3T
    3F+3S SEQ
    2A
    3L
    2A+2T* (I assume this will be a 3-jump combo)
    3Lz*
    3F*
    I'm guessing it will be 3F+1Lo+3S; it doesn't really make sense otherwise.

vCash
    ^Then, will Gracie's 3F+1L+3S count as a 3 jump combo? I don't know the math, but if it's a 3 jump combo, will having it be worth the front-loading of her current program? She does 5 triples before the 2 minute mark according to the layout as described above ...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by olympic View Post
    ...will having it be worth the front-loading of her current program? She does 5 triples before the 2 minute mark according to the layout as described above ...
    Those first two combinations are so huge points-wise, that it probably won't matter a whole lot. Besides, I'm not sure if she could do them after the halfway mark, as they take an incredible amount of stamina.

The 3L has also been a problem jump for her, especially last season, so I can see why she would want to get it out of the way relatively early on in the program.

Page 3 of 50 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast