Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Celebrating Jeremy Abbott's FS at 2014 Worlds...
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kosjenka View Post
    It amazes me what people are willing to give up and still firmly believe they live in a free world.
    When people are willing to sacrifice freedom for the sake of government security and provisions, it will herald the end of the democratic republic.

We're already traveling down that slippery slope, and it scares the bejeezus out of me.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyn View Post
    When people are willing to sacrifice freedom for the sake of government security and provisions, it will herald the end of the democratic republic.

We're already traveling down that slippery slope, and it scares the bejeezus out of me.
    Every time I take off my shoes in the airport, I'm reminded that the terrorists have won .

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by maatTheViking View Post
    Every time I take off my shoes in the airport, I'm reminded that the terrorists have won .
    So the terrorists are celebrating every time you are burdened by removing your footwear? Or was this post an example of that sarcasm thing I hear tell of??
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

what a glorious day!
    vCash
    I have the opposite reaction. Whenever I buy an airline ticket, I am reminded that terrorists have not won.

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    So we have one school in Canada, one school in New Jersey and one school in Australia that have banned hugging and an unsubstantiated report that some schools in Canada have banned high fives, and it's all a sign of the impending end of democracy?
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

vCash
    Duh.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    So the terrorists are celebrating every time you are burdened by removing your footwear? Or was this post an example of that sarcasm thing I hear tell of??
    My point is that terrorists have succeeded in seeing unreasonable fear in people. ONE guy, ever! puts explosives in his shoes, and now we all have to take our shoes off.
    The fact that we fear them so much, means that they have power. Which is what they want.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Prancer View Post
    Um, why? What makes hugging immature or a bad habit?

I can see that people shouldn't be encouraged to run around hugging everyone, as it's not always welcome or appropriate, but if teenage girls are hugging each other.....I'd say they consider it welcome.
    I keep asking myself this as well when people are objecting *strictly to teenagers hugging*. If teenagers are happy hugging their friends, who are you to discourage it? I like seeing happy teenagers. Maybe you want 14 year old girls to act prim and proper all the time, but I don't. I'd rather see her happy, being with her friends.

ETA: And I don't necessarily want to go as far as to say it's the end of democracy. But it's something that's being taken away in SCHOOL. It's another way to control kids, instead of educating them. I don't even have kids and things like this really bothers me. At some point, pretty much everything in schools will be banned.
    Last edited by Stormy; 08-27-2012 at 09:17 PM.

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    So we have one school in Canada, one school in New Jersey and one school in Australia that have banned hugging and an unsubstantiated report that some schools in Canada have banned high fives, and it's all a sign of the impending end of democracy?
    That's what the Mayans said.

My point is that terrorists have succeeded in seeing unreasonable fear in people. ONE guy, ever! puts explosives in his shoes, and now we all have to take our shoes off.
    The fact that we fear them so much, means that they have power. Which is what they want.
    Irrational fear did not exist before the terrorists you're talking about?

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    That's what the Mayans said.
    ?
    The Mayans (well the pre-Columbian ones in any event--since there are over a million Mayans still living) would have found the concept of democracy very confusing.
    Those who never succeed themselves are always the first to tell you how.

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Well, by December nothing will matter anyway.

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    My birthday is December 22nd. It's bad enough having to share my glory with Santa Claus and last minute Christmas sales; do you really think that *I* will allow mere Mayans to deny me?
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

vCash
    Instead of annoying strangers with "Happy Holidays" this December, one can wish them a "happy Mayan-predicted end of the world".

"How about 'Merry Christmas' instead? Or is that not PC enough for you?"

"We'll cross that bridge if we come to it."
    I can call the moon a pear, but it doesn't make it so. -- kwanfan1818

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by falling_dance View Post
    Instead of annoying strangers with "Happy Holidays" this December, one can wish them a "happy Mayan-predicted end of the world".
    That does fall trippingly off the tongue.

My birthday is December 22nd. It's bad enough having to share my glory with Santa Claus and last minute Christmas sales; do you really think that *I* will allow mere Mayans to deny me?
    I've always known you were pretty powerful. But moreso than all those Mayans???

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    I've always known you were pretty powerful. But moreso than all those Mayans???
    Mayans--pffffft.

vCash
    That does fall trippingly off the tongue.
    It does when you've practiced half an hour every day for two months.

Mayans--pffffft.
    "Happy Prancermas" is a lot easier to say, I must admit.
    I can call the moon a pear, but it doesn't make it so. -- kwanfan1818

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    When I was in high school, couples made out between classes by their lockers. These regs would have put a damper on that.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Just heard about another interesting story of how a Nebraska school district has asked a 3 year old deaf boy (Hunter Spanjer) to change how he signs his name because it resembles a shooting gun (which violates the district's non-violence policy).

Hunter Spanjer, 3-Year-Old Deaf Boy, Told By Preschool To Change Way He Signs His Name

Hunter Spanjer uses the standard S.E.E., Signing Exact English. He crosses his index and middle fingers and waves them slightly to signify his name. And, Grand Island Public Schools' policy forbids any "instrument" that "looks like a weapon"...
    Hmm. As in " "

vCash
    But do they have a policy against names that resemble or imply weapons? Hunter, Lance, Kirk . . .

vCash
    I had someone on a parent discussion list ask if they were comfortable with a male teacher changing the diaper of thier 2 year old! This villifying of men HAS TO STOP! yuck!
    The ridiculous thing is it assumes only men sexually abuse children and well that's just not true.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast