Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    vCash
    I can say the reason rules, no matter how extreme they may seem, are instituted is because some student did something that had consequences and a new rule was formed. It's unfortunate that a small minority causes policies that impact the majority. It's just the way it is, particularly in a very litigious society.
    I see this all the time. We now have to use safety glasses for a variety of sports and the kids hate it. I have to explain some kids eye was damaged playing badminton, parents sued and won, and now viola. The problem is when the glasses end up being broken and we don't have enough. No badminton or floor hockey happens.

As for banning hugs etc.. I primarily teach kindergarten and most kinders do not understand why they cannot touch someone at all. I am not a touchy feely person at all yet even I know that some of them need contact during the day. The problem is that not all parents feel the same way. I had a male friend that taught kindergarten one year. He had two parents warn him at the beginning of the year that they would be asking their children everyday what Mr * did at school. So often sometimes sadly these rules are meant to protect the teachers. Not saying its right but as mentioned above the consequences sometimes are horrible. I've heard stories from other teachers that makes me really hesitant to do a lot of things.

As for dodgeball as a supply I hated when that was down for gym. It always involved me breaking up a fight or sending a kid down for ice. Finally I just started stopping the game when it got that way. Did'nt make me popular but less incident reports to fill in.

And I cannot believe someone used volleyballs?

vCash
    Some school policies just make me roll my eyes or force me to glue my mouth shut before I erupt into a tirade. For example: one year my kids' elementary school sent home a letter stating that saying "Merry Christmas" will not be tolerated and will result in disciplinary actions such as detention, etc. On this same letter, it was stated that saying "Happy Hanukkah" and "Happy Kwanzaa", etc. are highly encouraged. Seriously.

Dodgeball: I wanna play! I'm small so people always had a hard time aiming for me, lol

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Is there some inside joke I'm missing in regards to dodgeball? I thought dodgeball was universally known as "The Sport of A**holes"?
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by professordeb View Post
    I can sorta understand about some of the no-touching but at times it has seemed to go overboard. For instance, a child of 4 is at school and needs to go to the bathroom. Off they go with a teacher/aid walking them down to the bathroom. Said child does what they need but is having a difficult time doing up their clothing. Normally I would offer to help as would most ordinary people. However, the rule at my children's school -- no touching of a child by an adult so said child went around with their jeans not done up until one of their slightly older classmates helped. Reason that adult can't help -- it might be misconstrued as a touch for sexual purposes. And if you're a child don't even bother with trying to give your teacher a hug or receive one. Sheesh.
    wow, 4 is young to never be touched or helped by a teacher.
    Ridiculous how a something very rare can make people so afraid, and stop sensible behavior

Quote Originally Posted by Clytie View Post
    As for banning hugs etc.. I primarily teach kindergarten and most kinders do not understand why they cannot touch someone at all. I am not a touchy feely person at all yet even I know that some of them need contact during the day. The problem is that not all parents feel the same way. I had a male friend that taught kindergarten one year. He had two parents warn him at the beginning of the year that they would be asking their children everyday what Mr * did at school. So often sometimes sadly these rules are meant to protect the teachers. Not saying its right but as mentioned above the consequences sometimes are horrible. I've heard stories from other teachers that makes me really hesitant to do a lot of things.
    This is why it is hard for daycares, preschools, kindergardens etc to retrain male teachers. I would love for my son to have both male and female influences during the day, but my daycare keeps saying how hard it is to not only hire, but also retain male employees.
    I had someone on a parent discussion list ask if they were comfortable with a male teacher changing the diaper of thier 2 year old! This villifying of men HAS TO STOP! yuck!

vCash
    I could never teach in the current "climate of suspicion"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BigB08822 View Post
    Everyone learns from home sitting behind a computer. A budget saver and freedom from liability of anything happening on school campus.
    I've worked in elementary school, but obviously in a different environment and culture than the one that came up with this regulation.
    It amazes me what people are willing to give up and still firmly believe they live in a free world.

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Clytie View Post

Yep, and that tends to REALLY hit the male teachers/childcare professionals. I worked at an afterschool program (admittedly, one run by a nasty cow with her daughter as the site director, so it may just have been them) where only the MALE employees were told to NOT allow the students to sit on their laps, hug them, etc. But yeah, all it takes is one kid describing an innocent hug wrong and the male employee's in a world of trouble, so rules are rules.

Personally, I think hugging should be discouraged, especially the overwrought teen-girl stuff (it's immature and a bad habit, save it for family and people you haven't seen in years-it's amazing how many people seem surprised that I want to shake hands and am not touchy-feely just because I'm female.) I assume if there's a rule, there's a situation that came up that forced them to create the rule.

And dodge ball was fun. It was one of the only gym-class things where I could hit back (we didn't play racquet sports in grade school, which I'm good at, and i was TERRIBLE at games like baseball and soccer.)

vCash
    I rock at dodge ball, but am mega-awesome at softball/baseball.

I didn't think anyone played dodge ball past elementary school. For me, only varsity type sports were played in middle/high school.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    Personally, I think hugging should be discouraged, especially the overwrought teen-girl stuff (it's immature and a bad habit, save it for family and people you haven't seen in years-it's amazing how many people seem surprised that I want to shake hands and am not touchy-feely just because I'm female.) I assume if there's a rule, there's a situation that came up that forced them to create the rule.
    As I read most of the posts here I feel I am missing something.

why should hugging be discouraged? why is it immature? I am asking this because I see various people expressing themselves differently. If it is a group of people who know each other well - whats the problem?

I had a friend from Brazil who came to visit and she was shocked how most people shake hands and only close friends hug here. Where she is from - u get a hug and 2 kisses on cheeks.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by agalisgv View Post

I didn't think anyone played dodge ball past elementary school. For me, only varsity type sports were played in middle/high school.
    Our students play dodge ball in PE.

fragrance free
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kosjenka View Post
    As I read most of the posts here I feel I am missing something.

why should hugging be discouraged? why is it immature? I am asking this because I see various people expressing themselves differently. If it is a group of people who know each other well - whats the problem?

I had a friend from Brazil who came to visit and she was shocked how most people shake hands and only close friends hug here. Where she is from - u get a hug and 2 kisses on cheeks.
    I have rheumatoid arthritis. Some days handshakes and even hugs can be very painful. I prefer methods of introduction/greeting that don't involve pain. That is my reason why this type of greeting should not be encouraged for everyone.

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by timing View Post
    I have rheumatoid arthritis. Some days handshakes and even hugs can be very painful. I prefer methods of introduction/greeting that don't involve pain. That is my reason why this type of greeting should not be encouraged for everyone.
    Your point is that students should not hug because they might have rheumatoid arthritis?

And dodge ball was fun. It was one of the only gym-class things where I could hit back (we didn't play racquet sports in grade school, which I'm good at, and i was TERRIBLE at games like baseball and soccer.)
    Hugging bad, hitting good?

fragrance free
    vCash
    [QUOTE=PeterG;3667871]Your point is that students should not hug because they might have rheumatoid arthritis?
    /QUOTE]

No that wasn't my point. Someone had mentioned cultural differences (2 kisses and a hug versus a handshake). My point was that physical greetings don't work for everyone and I was offering a different reason than had been mentioned before.

vCash
    [QUOTE=timing;3667904]
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    Your point is that students should not hug because they might have rheumatoid arthritis?
    /QUOTE]

No that wasn't my point. Someone had mentioned cultural differences (2 kisses and a hug versus a handshake). My point was that physical greetings don't work for everyone and I was offering a different reason than had been mentioned before.
    I understand your position.
    I also understand people who dont like to be touched in general. There has to be some kind of respect for different kinds of needs.

What I dont understand is why should hugging be discouraged in general?
    Some people find it immature (teens hugging every time they meet etc) and in the case of some public institutions - to avoid legal problems. Does anyone think about bad things that come from banning hugging with kids in school?

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Personally, I think hugging should be discouraged, especially the overwrought teen-girl stuff (it's immature and a bad habit
    Um, why? What makes hugging immature or a bad habit?

I don't especially like hugging, but it's not like there is a rule that I have to do hug if I don't want to. For those who enjoy hugging.....what's immature or bad about it?

I can see that people shouldn't be encouraged to run around hugging everyone, as it's not always welcome or appropriate, but if teenage girls are hugging each other.....I'd say they consider it welcome.
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by agalisgv View Post
    Um, isn't dodge ball, like, tremendously uncool by high school?
    Absolutely not. I teach at an all-boys high school, and the biggest event the students look forward to is the annual dodge ball tournament we have. We use the red balls, and to my knowledge there have been no injuries - ever.

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucy25 View Post
    Absolutely not. I teach at an all-boys high school, and the biggest event the students look forward to is the annual dodge ball tournament we have. We use the red balls, and to my knowledge there have been no injuries - ever.
    You're talking about physical injuries, right?

Celebrating Jeremy Abbott's FS at 2014 Worlds...
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by my little pony View Post
    dodgeball is so awesome
    Quote Originally Posted by my little pony View Post
    maybe the three of us could start a league
    Quote Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
    Four.
    Five

We played Dodge Ball, but that eventually fell out of popularity when we started playing Battle Ball. Similar concept, but it involved two teams lined up facing each other. Same objective in that you tried to peg someone with the ball, but if you caught it, the asshole who threw it was out of the game.

It was a great equalizer in that the hard-core jocks had their advantage lessened somewhat if you could catch a hard-thrown ball instead of pussing out and turning/running away from it.

To get back OT, the rules and regulations being forced upon students these days are getting to be ridiculous. Hugging? When did that become a bad thing? .

I can understand not wanting students to swab each others' tonsils in the hallway, but FFS, it seems like common sense is becoming an endangered species in this country, especially in the education system.

what a glorious day!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kosjenka View Post
    It amazes me what people are willing to give up and still firmly believe they live in a free world.
    After reading this thread, I think your observation is right on target.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatesindreams View Post
    I could never teach in the current "climate of suspicion"
    That was exactly why, after MUCH contemplation, I decided to go into the library/archives biz and not become a teacher. Sigh, and to think that the latter was my career goal since I was a wee tot.......

.......well, sometimes I do teach adults. No high-fives or hugs, but I do give and get handshakes.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast