Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Red rover was banned at my school when I was in high school (though we'd stopped playing it years before, of course). Too many broken arms. I can't really blame them for that one, though I did love playing it as a kid.

And I, for one, always hugged all my friends throughout school. I still do, every time I see them.

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Willy View Post
    It is my view of how I see it. There is nothing wrong with that either. People just didn't behave that way when I grew up so being part of the older generation maybe I just don't get it. Everyone is different and can have different opinions on the topic. However maybe I was also trying to explain a reason why a school takes this sort of action.
    I understand all that; what I was asking you is why you think a school would consider kids hugging each other to be such a problem that a school would need to regulate them doing so?
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Prancer View Post
    I understand all that; what I was asking you is why you think a school would consider kids hugging each other to be such a problem that a school would need to regulate them doing so?
    You did say "What is wrong with that". So I wasn't sure if you were questioning my personal opinion because the part you highlighted was my personal opinion. So I wasn't sure what your question was directed towards.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aliceanne View Post
    So no dodge ball, red rover, or square dancing in elementary school? !
    Dodge ball should be banned. I've consoled too many kids after a particularly vicious games. And I teach high school.

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    dodgeball is so awesome
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by my little pony View Post
    dodgeball is so awesome
    When I play? Yes.

vCash
    Maybe it's changed over the years, but I thought dodge ball didn't involve any touching--just massive ball throwing at peeps.

I rocked at dodge ball FWIW

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    maybe the three of us could start a league
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Willy View Post
    You did say "What is wrong with that". So I wasn't sure if you were questioning my personal opinion because the part you highlighted was my personal opinion. So I wasn't sure what your question was directed towards.
    Okay. Now that we are clear....why is hugging such a problem that schools would need to ban it?
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

vCash
    Apparently they're talking about constitutional bans against our beloved sport

Peon meddlers

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by agalisgv View Post
    Maybe it's changed over the years, but I thought dodge ball didn't involve any touching--just massive ball throwing at peeps.

I rocked at dodge ball FWIW
    Compared to other sports/games dodge ball had higher injury stats and higher instances of bullying/humiliation.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by berthesghost View Post
    Compared to other sports/games dodge ball had higher injury stats and higher instances of bullying/humiliation.
    Where I teach, this is the case. The bullies deliberately aim at the face, especially at kids with glasses. The PE teachers seem to think this " builds character. " oh, and they use volleyballs.

vCash
    Um, isn't dodge ball, like, tremendously uncool by high school?

vCash
    Oh hell no. Every single semester both fraternities I was in would use dodgeball as a part of pledge week.

I mean, admittedly, they were both band geek/music geek fraternities, but we had to fight all the 'real' fraternities to get into the gym to do it, so I'm thinking this is fairly typical.

Dodgeball is never uncool. It's people whipping large balls at people trying to hit them as hard as they can. It's the opposite of uncool.

vCash
    We used the big red rubber balls . And any hitting above the waist automatically threw you out of the game for the rest of the day.

:sigh:

One of my fav games . But not in high school--I was too cool for that then

INTJ
    vCash
    We have a very popular adult dodgeball league here. It's crazy successful.
    "Beautiful things don't ask for attention." -The Secret Life of Walter Mitty

Saint Smugpawski
    Cutting Down Privet Because Food Prices Are Going Up Next Year
    vCash
    Four.
    The fastest thing out of New Jersey since Tricky Nicky in a Muscovian handbasket

vCash
    I hug just about everyone I know. Of course, I tend to kiss them, too. And sometimes do other things...

Wait, what were we talking about?
    "I hit him with my shoes... if he had given me the medal like I told him to, I wouldn't have had to hit him!" -- 8-year-old Rhoda Penmark in "The Bad Seed"

vCash
    BARK LESS. WAG MORE.

vCash
    I can sorta understand about some of the no-touching but at times it has seemed to go overboard. For instance, a child of 4 is at school and needs to go to the bathroom. Off they go with a teacher/aid walking them down to the bathroom. Said child does what they need but is having a difficult time doing up their clothing. Normally I would offer to help as would most ordinary people. However, the rule at my children's school -- no touching of a child by an adult so said child went around with their jeans not done up until one of their slightly older classmates helped. Reason that adult can't help -- it might be misconstrued as a touch for sexual purposes. And if you're a child don't even bother with trying to give your teacher a hug or receive one. Sheesh.
    Crazy about sports!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast