Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash

Schools Ban Hugging and High-Fives ("No Contact" Policies)

Senior Public School Students Fight Alleged Hug Ban (Brampton, Ontario)

Brampton’s Earnscliffe Senior Public School has a “no loving, no shoving” policy in an attempt to stem violence and unwanted touching, the Brampton Guardian says. But a group of students believes the ban includes hugging and says teachers have reprimanded them over such friendly displays of affection...
    Hugging banned by principal at New Jersey middle school

Principal Tyler Blackmore announced that Matawan-Aberdeen Middle School is a "no hugging school" after "incidents of unsuitable, physical interactions," reports the Associated Press.
    This article mentioned other schools which have banned shorts, Ugg-type boots, Halloween and rainbows.

Mt Martha Primary School's no-contact policy bans hugs and high five (Melbourne, Australia)

Students caught breaking the no-contact policy were taken from the playground and given a lecture about safety and the risks of rough play.

"They are given time to reflect - it's like a counselling session," she said.
    While this last article is about an Australian school system, on the radio this morning they said that high-fives are being banned in some Canadian schools as well.
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

vCash
    I frequently high fived my students. Absurd.

The problem is that educational administrators have decided that it is easier to just completely ban something rather than be educators and take the time to teach kids the difference between what is appropriate and what is not.

On a lighter note, I wish the last school I taught at had banned Uggs. I was so sick of girls trudging around in them when it was 80+ degrees out (building only had window air conditioners) and then whining all day because they were hot and could they please take their boots off in class. No. You cannot be barefoot in school. Maybe you shouldn't wear winter boots in April.

vCash
    Let's just ban everything that makes us human. Cut all the arts classes, ban touch, stop listening, stop thinking, just do what you're told and don't learn to love any of it.

Go Denmark!
    vCash
    Moving to America, I was shocked at how people there were non-hugging. Guys don't hug, apparently. Especially not other guys. I find it odd. Being a women, I can usually get away with hugging my friends (guys and girls alike), but it is clear that not everyone does it all the time.

So this makes me feel sad. Will this make people afraid or unwilling to even hold hands? Give a hand shake? I feel children should know that being close to another human being is not wrong.

I think also it is lazy to try and say no touching at all, instead of actually taking care of issues with shoving, harresing students.

Go Denmark!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PDilemma View Post
    I frequently high fived my students. Absurd.

The problem is that educational administrators have decided that it is easier to just completely ban something rather than be educators and take the time to teach kids the difference between what is appropriate and what is not.
    yes.
    Edited to add: I actually think this is very important. Knowing the difference between appropiate and wanted affection and physical contact and inappropiate/unwanted contact is a key life skill.

also - I keep thining this being taken to the extreme - I would be very upset if my son's preschoold teachers didn't hug him!

Quote Originally Posted by PDilemma View Post
    On a lighter note, I wish the last school I taught at had banned Uggs. I was so sick of girls trudging around in them when it was 80+ degrees out (building only had window air conditioners) and then whining all day because they were hot and could they please take their boots off in class. No. You cannot be barefoot in school. Maybe you shouldn't wear winter boots in April.

Did they wear flip-flops in the winter
    Last edited by maatTheViking; 08-23-2012 at 07:18 PM.

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    I hope the people responsible for making these decisions are not in charge of throwing out bathwater. Oh, the babies we would lose!!

Quote Originally Posted by michiruwater View Post
    Let's just ban everything that makes us human. Cut all the arts classes, ban touch, stop listening, stop thinking, just do what you're told and don't learn to love any of it.
    Is that you, Mr. Romney?

vCash
    How did you know, Peter?

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    It's the long, luxurious hair.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by maatTheViking View Post
    Moving to America, I was shocked at how people there were non-hugging. Guys don't hug, apparently. Especially not other guys. I find it odd. Being a women, I can usually get away with hugging my friends (guys and girls alike), but it is clear that not everyone does it all the time.

So this makes me feel sad. Will this make people afraid or unwilling to even hold hands? Give a hand shake? I feel children should know that being close to another human being is not wrong.

I think also it is lazy to try and say no touching at all, instead of actually taking care of issues with shoving, harresing students.
    I've heard this from immigrants too. Every time I go to the mosque (which is predominately filled with immigrants from Arab countries and South Asia), the men always hug each other and they even peck each other on the cheek. My ex told me that when he stayed in Egypt, he had to get use to his guy friends holding his hand in public. In the US, he never did this but in Egypt it was quite the norm.

I'm a touchy person myself so I like hugging my friends and family.

As for the no contact policies, IA with PDilemma. It definitely sounds like a case of lazy administrators throwing out the baby with the bath water.
    "If people are looking for guarantees, they should buy appliances at Sears and stay away from human relationships."~Prancer

out in a boat (out and about) in Nova Scotia b'ye!
    vCash
    wow. This would never work at the Elementary school I teach at. I get tons of kindergarten- gr 3 kids hugging me every day I am in (I teach music half time)
    The mind of the performer is a very strange thing.
    ~James Galway

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    wow. This would never work at the Elementary school I teach at. I get tons of kindergarten- gr 3 kids hugging me every day I am in (I teach music half time)
    When I worked at a private school a couple of years ago, the same thing happened and I worked as the secretary! Many of the students, especially the younger ones, are very affectionate and have no problem running up to an adult and giving them a big ol' hug.
    "If people are looking for guarantees, they should buy appliances at Sears and stay away from human relationships."~Prancer

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by michiruwater View Post
    The policy is ridiculous!
    Fear, gone wild.

vCash
    Whilst I think these policies can be over the top, I get a bit at the thing that every time young girls and teenagers see their friends they have to give them big hugs. Particularly if they see their friends day after day. I am not sure when it became the in thing to do because I never grew up with that. Maybe I view it more as a trend and that is how the schools view it too. So the banning is treating it that way as well.

The one in Australia did get lots of publicity. What parents got angry about was if a kid fell in the playground, another kid wasn't allowed to touch them. That is over the top. Although I have also heard the particular school principal has done a few other things that have peeved people off as well.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by modern_muslimah View Post
    It definitely sounds like a case of lazy administrators throwing out the baby with the bath water.
    I would say it's more a case of adminstrators who are tired of arguing with parents over whether or not a display that the parents didn't witness was inappropriate.

It's easy enough to tell kids "No lip locks," but then you have to punish them if they persist. And then.......

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Willy View Post
    Whilst I think these policies can be over the top, I get a bit at the thing that every time young girls and teenagers see their friends they have to give them big hugs. Particularly if they see their friends day after day.
    What's wrong with that?
    Trolling dates all the way back to 397 B.C. - People began following Plato around and would make fart noises after everything he said.

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    Good luck stopping my special needs students from hugging, holding hands or high fiving. I high five them all the time. Their faces light up when a teacher gives them a high five for doing something well, it is a great reward to give that costs nothing. I have one student who will hold anyones hand all day if you let him, it is very comforting to him. Teaching him who he can and can not hold hands with is much more important than constantly telling him no or punishing him.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    I find this very disturbing.
    I guess it really is a cultural thing. I find affection and comfort that comes from a hug very meaningful for kids and grownups.

Whats next - no laughing and showing your teeth while smiling?

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kosjenka View Post
    I find this very disturbing.
    I guess it really is a cultural thing. I find affection and comfort that comes from a hug very meaningful for kids and grownups.

Whats next - no laughing and showing your teeth while smiling?
    Everyone learns from home sitting behind a computer. A budget saver and freedom from liability of anything happening on school campus.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Prancer View Post
    What's wrong with that?
    It is my view of how I see it. There is nothing wrong with that either. People just didn't behave that way when I grew up so being part of the older generation maybe I just don't get it. Everyone is different and can have different opinions on the topic. However maybe I was also trying to explain a reason why a school takes this sort of action.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Prancer View Post
    I would say it's more a case of adminstrators who are tired of arguing with parents over whether or not a display that the parents didn't witness was inappropriate.

It's easy enough to tell kids "No lip locks," but then you have to punish them if they persist. And then.......

:
    Having just reviewed and rewritten part of our Student Handbook, I can say the reason rules, no matter how extreme they may seem, are instituted is because some student did something that had consequences and a new rule was formed. It's unfortunate that a small minority causes policies that impact the majority. It's just the way it is, particularly in a very litigious society.
    Adelina Sotnikova defeated the curse of Esta She is indeed the Greatest Of All Time!

vCash
    So no dodge ball, red rover, or square dancing in elementary school? What about holding your partner's hand on field trips? Who knew all that could lead to hostile or perverted behavior!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast