Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    Yes I agree they were great. Their placing or what it should have been is irrelevant in this case, it was just great to see someone have the balls to do something so totally different and unique in the stodgy World of dancing.
    I absolutely agree and thought about mentioning them, too. The topic says great olympic performances that did not make the podium, and that's exactly what their Savage Rites routine was.

vCash
    I see someone else mentioned them, but I forgot about P/T in 2006.

Blergh
    vCash
    Joannie Rochette was utterly boring in 2010 as well.

Speaking of 2010, I can't believe nobody mentioned Suzuki's absolutely awesome LP.
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

vCash
    Speaking of the Duchesnays in 1988, I loved their Tango OSP even more than the Savage Rites.
    Tango

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VIETgrlTerifa View Post
    Joannie Rochette was utterly boring in 2010 as well.

Speaking of 2010, I can't believe nobody mentioned Suzuki's absolutely awesome LP.
    I guess because Suzuki was already behind in the SP, there was no chance of her medalling really, so it flew under the radar. I think that's why I didn't take much notice of it, anyway. Or, I did at the time but it slipped my mind.

Blergh
    vCash
    Also, NBC chacked it. I had to watch it online.
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

vCash
    Probably since almost nobody saw it unfortunately. I didnt until you mentioned this and then looked it up to see it. It definitely was great.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blue_idealist View Post
    I see someone else mentioned them, but I forgot about P/T in 2006.
    P&T (CHN) really deserved a medal more than Z&Z in 2006, even with the harder jumps and without all the interruption deductions for Z&Z. They were just that much better than Z&Z.

I think P&T were underscored at both Olympics so it's great that they at least won both post-Olympic worlds.

I&Z were robbed of 4th in 2002 but I wouldn't put them on the podium.

vCash
    For the ladies, Nagasu and Lepisto in 2010 immediately come to mind. I personally would have them on the podium with Kim. I would have kept Lepisto in the final group, replacing Flatt. IMO Nagasu and Lepisto easily had the 2nd and 3rd best skate that night, all things considered.

IMO, Suguri had a good case of wuzrobbed in both 2002 and 2006.

A case can be made for Sato in 1994 because, even with the mistake in the short, she still produced one of the two best performances of the night (together with Chen). Same for Chen herself in 1992.

And of course, Ito in 1988.
    Last edited by Marco; 08-27-2012 at 08:48 AM.

vCash
    Midori Ito - 1988

Fume Suguri - 2006

Rachael Flatt, Mirai Nagasu, Laura Lepisto, Akiko Suzuki - 2010

Joannie was good but I thought one of these long programs were better. Rachael Flatt was flawless and I don't think those 3flips should have been downgraded which would have placed her higher in the free. Mirai was good too I guess. Laura surprised me and I thought she did really well. Akiko was fantastic especially considering how hard it was for her to get to the Olympics after fighting anorexia and having to place well at nationals.

Blergh
    vCash
    I don't know if this is an unpopular opinion or not, and I'm not saying they should have medaled or anything, but I absolutely loved Delobel/Schoenfelder's routines in Vancouver. Despite the lack of prep/training time due to Isabelle's injury and then pregnancy, they put so much heart and personality in their routines that I couldn't help but enjoy them. They were more enjoyable than most of the teams competing (and I found their OD and FD to be much more watchable than Belbin/Agosto and Domnina/Shabalin's efforts).

vCash
    I don't know if this is an unpopular opinion or not, and I'm not saying they should have medaled or anything, but I absolutely loved Delobel/Schoenfelder's routines in Vancouver. Despite the lack of prep/training time due to Isabelle's injury and then pregnancy, they put so much heart and personality in their routines that I couldn't help but enjoy them. They were more enjoyable than most of the teams competing (and I found their OD and FD to be much more watchable than Belbin/Agosto and Domnina/Shabalin's efforts).
    I love DelShoes twizzles sequences from Vancouver !
    I love their programs from Vancouver.

aka IceSkate98
    vCash
    Punsalan & Swallow - 1998 Olympics.
    Angie
    “I have not failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” ~ Thomas A. Edison

vCash
    Also, NBC chacked it. I had to watch it online.
    I watched it on one of CTV's affiliates, I think, probably Sportsnet.

vCash
    Trixi Schuba 1968 (figures)
    Julie Lynn Holmes 1972 (e.g. paragraph bracket)
    Isabel de Navarre 1976 (back paragraph loop)

Torvill and Dean 1980

Midori Ito 1988
    Last edited by matti; 08-31-2012 at 11:10 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by orbitz View Post
    Oooh, I forgot about Denise. She was definitely the head of the class at Lake Placid in both the SP and LP.

I didn't think Ina & Zimmerman's was medal worthy at all. For them to be on the podium would have meant that either B&S, S&S, or the Canadians was off the podium. I & Z was not the same league as those pairs.
    rewatch the video: they were in the league that night and should have been ahead of the Chinese.

Not on subject but....Pang and Tong should have won Gold in Vancouver

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Libertango View Post
    2002 - Drobiazko/Vanagas (FD)

2006 - Denkova/Staviski (FD), Delobel/Schoenfelder (FD and overall). B/A and G/G were so bad in the FD
    I agree about Drobiazko/Vanagas (FD) in 2002.

Some place competitive and athletic, but ultimately more like an audition than anything else.
    vCash
    Janet Lynn's infamous 1971 Worlds Freeskate, which probably changed the course of skating history.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by oleada View Post
    Nagasu & Lepisto's FS were two of my favorite performances from the 2012 Olympics
    2012 Olympics were the Summer Games in London. I think you meant 2010 Vancouver Winter Games.

2002 Sasha Cohen

2010 Mirai Nagasu

1988 Midori Ito - the Duchesnays

1980 Denise Biellmann.

Quote Originally Posted by briancoogaert View Post
    Bronze ahead of Joannie Rochette ?
    I wouldn't given it to Mirai. She was held way down in the SP too. Should've been no lower than 4th imo.

Quote Originally Posted by smarts1 View Post
    I kind of agree with blue_idealist also... Quite honestly, even though Joannie became the darling of those Olympics due to personal circumstances, she made 4 major glaring errors in her LP and it was definitely NOT worth the 130+ that she received in the LP. She had a major step out on the flip (and was leaning) and the double axel had a slight turn out, which were her two most visible errors. Her second lutz and her triple salchow (in the sequence) were both clearly underrotated and if the technical panel wanted, they could have easily given them < marks. Besides, I hated the choreography for Joannie's LP anyway-- that step sequence was horrendously put together. And on top of that, Mirai was undermarked on PCS in the SP (considering she was pretty unknown still to the international panel at that point).

Even the Eursport commentators thought Mirai would place second ahead of Mao and Joannie in the LP, but ended up placing 5th in the LP (behind Kim, Asada, Rochette, and Lepisto), and they were appalled when her LP mark didn't even break 130, despite the fact that Mirai was going bonkers over her LP score and placement.
    ^^^
    THIS!

Quote Originally Posted by SkateBlades17 View Post
    The ones that come to my mind.

2006 & 2010 Johnny Weir
    1998 Bourne & Kraatz
    1992 Grishuk & Platov
    2010 Belbin & Agosto
    I'd add these to my list too!

Quote Originally Posted by Simone411 View Post
    Punsalan & Swallow - 1998 Olympics.
    THIS!
    Last edited by Sasha'sSpins; 02-05-2014 at 08:58 PM.
    Congrats to my ♥Baroque Rock Princess Adelina♥Meryl&Charlie♥Tatiana&Maxim♥!Team ♥Mirai♥Adam♥Julia♥

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bardtoob View Post
    Janet Lynn's infamous 1971 Worlds Freeskate, which probably changed the course of skating history.
    It was not an Olympic performance, but I agree with you.
    I would have loved to live this moment. It seems it was amazing.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast