vCash

Bechke/Dmitriev and Mishkutenok/Petrov?

When Artur Dmitriev came to Moskvina's camp at age 19 in 1987, she presented him with a choice of partner: Elena Bechke and Natalia Mishkutenok. Bechke was 2 years older than Dmitriev and had competed internationally with her former partner, Valeri Kornienko (they won the inaugural Skate Canada in 1984 and the European bronze in 1986). Dmitriev chose Mishkutenok, who was two years younger than him and who, like himself, had not skated pairs before. Bechke then went on to skate with Petrov. Had Dmitriev chosen to skate with Bechke and if Moskvina had paired Mishkutenok with Petrov, how do you think the two teams would have fared generally in international competition?

vCash
    Dmitriev first complained when compared with Kazahkova she already had her own style and he liked to mold the team into his style, so I am not surprised he chose the skater who was newer of the two. I think both those teams would have done well. The only problem is Artur would have been saddled with Elena Bechke's chronic nerves, something he didnt have to deal with much with Natalia who despite her emotional fragility at times was a very strong competitor.

vCash
    I thought about this question myself, I think both pairs could have worked out-and probably done quite well (i.e. winning Olympic/World medals). I doubt that either B&D or M&P would have been as successful as M&D and B&P. B&P had such a beautiful line, and I don't think any pair (including K&D) could have replicated what M&D had on the ice.

Last edited by lulu; 02-09-2014 at 04:58 PM.

vCash
    I think they ended up with the right partners.

vCash
    Oh absolutely :-)