View Poll Results: What was the best Olympic silver medal winning LP performance by a male skater?

Voters
162. You may not vote on this poll
  • Brian Orser 1988 (The Bolt)

51 31.48%
  • Paul Wylie 1992 (Henry the 5th)

48 29.63%
  • Elvis Stojko 1998 (better than in 1994)

7 4.32%
  • Evgeni Plushenko 2002 (Carmen- better than 2010)

27 16.67%
  • Stephane Lambiel 2006 (Four seasons)

29 17.90%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    Barna had a quad toe (although two footed), which was pretty rare those days. He did not have a 3A though. His music seemed a bit heavy. He skated well but fell on a jump toward the end. Had he landed it, the judges might have given him the silver over Wylie. Barna had a decent performance, but it could not match the emotion in Wylie's skating.

However, it's a matter of taste.

I loved Barna's exhibition to Charlie Chaplin. It was so funny, it was hard to believe it was the same (serious) skater who skated to Hamlet (am I correct about the music?)
    I'm not discussing the fact that he was beaten by Wylie. I love Wylie's performance at the Olympics and think he should have won.
    But I'm sad to read that some of us think Barna's LP are forgettable. His step sequences were interesting. As you said, it's a matter of taste.

vCash
    Lambiel got a lot of votes, but his silver medal performance in 2006 really wasn't good. He made numerous mistakes and I don't think he was that happy with that performance. At that point he had not even developed as an artist that much (too much windmill arms movement; not a good posture)- he is a wonderful artist now.

However, he is one of the most popular skaters on fsu, so I can see why he would get so many votes.

vCash
    So hard to choose between Orser and Wylie. Either program would have been Olympic gold medal worthy under slightly different circumstances. Also loved Lambiel's 4 Seasons!
    Voted for Orser.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by briancoogaert View Post
    I'm not discussing the fact that he was beaten by Wylie. I love Wylie's performance at the Olympics and think he should have won.
    But I'm sad to read that some of us think Barna's LP are forgettable. His step sequences were interesting. As you said, it's a matter of taste.
    Gloomy and morbid music for skating, very slow at times, no connection with the audience, no real performance or projection. Sorry for me it was boring. The judges must have thought so too since even with only 3 triples and a two footed quad his tech. marks were about the same as Petrenko and Wylie but he was bumped to 3rd by low artistic marks. Not one artistic mark over 5.8, contrasted to his much more enjoyable short program which got perfect 6.0 for artistic impression at both the 91 and 92 Worlds. To each their own.

vCash
    Evgeny Plushenko

vCash
    I voted for Plushy.

I've always felt that Wylie's '92 LP has been over-sensationalized. He didn't skate all that amazingly, just incredible for him, as he had bombed over and over again before that moment. Unfortunately, Petrenko stated poorly (for his standards), but I do think he deserved the nod over Paul.
    "I hit him with my shoes... if he had given me the medal like I told him to, I wouldn't have had to hit him!" -- 8-year-old Rhoda Penmark in "The Bad Seed"

vCash
    ^ perhaps, but i still find Paul's lp the skate of the evening. Compared to what the other guys laid down that night, it was to me, pretty frickin amazing.

Fetalized since 1998
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by berthesghost View Post
    ^ perhaps, but i still find Paul's lp the skate of the evening. Compared to what the other guys laid down that night, it was to me, pretty frickin amazing.
    ^

This.

vCash
    I voted for Lambiel, however my true favorite is Stojko's 1994 performance.
    'Life's hard. It's even harder when you're stupid.'--John Wayne

vCash
    I remember all the excitement around the ladies and mens event going into Albertville and both events turned out to be duds with so many weak performances from the contenders. I wonder if the ice conditions were bad or something.

Vacant
    vCash
    I agree the quality of skating in Albertville was pretty awful at the top. I do love Paul's LP there and I'm another one who thinks he should have won but you can't compare it with either of Orser's Olympic LP's. To skate that amazingly at two Olympics and not win gold seems so unfair.

vCash
    I voted for Wylie, but could have just as easily voted for Plush and Orser.
    The other two don't even remotely come close for me.
    "Marge, if you're going to get mad at me every time I do something stupid, then I guess I'm just going to have to stop doing stupid things!" - Homer Simpson in the Mr. Plow episode

vCash
    Orser. Hands down.

is silently judging you
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by briancoogaert View Post
    I liked Barna's LP a lot, but I think he needed to skate it 100% clean in order to really pull that music off. It was challenging. I actually really liked the choreography and music for all the guys in that final flight, plus Bowman.
    The audience I am trying to reach are champion figure skaters. I think they need me the most. -- Morrissey

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12